Author Topic: World Coronavirus News II with Updates  (Read 68210 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
China is kicking NYT, WSJ, Wash. Post journalists out of the country
« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2020, 12:28:21 am »
American Military News by Kyle Perisic  March 17, 2020

China has revoked the press credentials of U.S. journalists’ at major publications, effectively banning them from the country, in response to the Trump administration’s recent decision to reduce the cap on Chinese-controlled media entities in the United States.

China accused the United States in a statement on Tuesday of harboring a “growing discrimination” against the Chinese and “politically-motivated oppression” of its journalists in the United States. China-based journalists at the New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal, notify the Department of Information of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs within four days starting Tuesday.

The journalists won’t be allowed to report anywhere in China. China will also take reciprocal measures against the journalists “with regard to visa, administrative review and reporting.”

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/03/china-is-kicking-nyt-wsj-wash-post-journalists-out-of-the-country/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: World Coronavirus News II with Updates
« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2020, 01:27:41 am »
I get it, if China was a free country to begin with, just maybe we wouldn't be going through this.

Nobel Prize winner rips Chinese government for response to coronavirus
by Dominick Mastrangelo | March 17, 2020

A Nobel Prize winner criticized Chinese leaders for not doing more to curb the spread of the coronavirus, accusing them of hiding the realities of the pandemic.

Mario Vargas Llosa, who won the prize for literature in 2010, said the COVID-19 virus would have been more easily contained in China and around the world if the Chinese people lived in a free society rather than a dictatorship.

"Nobody seems to warn that none of this could be happening in the world if popular China were a free and democratic country and not the dictatorship that it is," Vargas Llosa wrote in the Spanish newspaper El Pais. "At least one prestigious doctor, and maybe several, detected this virus well in advance and, instead of taking the corresponding measures, the government tried to hide the news and silenced that voice or those sensible voices and tried to prevent the news spread, as all dictatorships do."

Read more at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/nobel-prize-winner-rips-chinese-government-for-response-to-coronavirus?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Vargas_Llosa    Famous well known author from Peru.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2020, 02:45:24 am »
'Aggressive' action needed in Southeast Asia to stop coronavirus: WHO

NEW DELHI: The World Health Organization called for "aggressive" action in Southeast Asia to combat the fast-spreading coronavirus, warning on Tuesday (Mar 17) that some countries were heading towards community transmission of the deadly disease.

Infections have soared across the region in recent weeks, forcing several countries to introduce drastic measures ranging from closing their borders to foreign arrivals and imposing nighttime curfews to closing schools and cancelling sports events.

There are concerns that weaker public health care systems in many Southeast Asian countries will be unable to cope with a major outbreak.

More at:   https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-who-southeast-asia-12549862

How bad this is, in the past, yes, very good, there's an earthquake somewhere send aid, even medical teams. Here the whole world is ailing.

Russia:
Coronavirus in Russia: The Latest News | March 17

As the new coronavirus that has killed more than 7,100 people continues to spread around the world, Russia has stepped up its measures to tackle the pandemic and prevent its spread within the country.

There have been 114 cases of coronavirus infections reported in Russia so far.

March 10

— Russia's consumer safety watchdog recommended that people avoid public transport, shopping malls and other public places at rush hour as a precaution against the coronavirus, the state-run RIA news agency reported. "Refrain from visiting public places: shopping centers, sports and entertainment events and transport during rush hour," the Rospotrebnadzor watchdog was quoted as saying.

More: https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/17/coronavirus-in-russia-the-latest-news-march-17-a69117

Almost half the cases are in Moscow.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #378 on: March 18, 2020, 03:09:19 am »
If I'm reading this correctly, a 33 woman in Ukraine passed away from the virus.

Coronavirus in Ukraine: 14 cases confirmed, two of them lethal

Source : 112 Ukraine
Most of the cases are observed in Chernivtsi region, western Ukraine

A 33-year-old woman passed away in Chernivtsi region. A 31-year-old person and a 18-year-old youngster (their sexes were not revealed), as well as three children (10 years old, one, and one and a half years old) got infected in the same region. All of them contacted a person who was previously diagnosed with coronavirus.

Earlier, an elderly woman in Zhytomyr region passsed away; she was infected with coronavirus, too.

See more at:  https://112.international/society/coronavirus-in-ukraine-14-cases-confirmed-two-of-them-lethal-49613.html

The English at this website is not always the best, that said, the obvious per above, a woman well under 50 died from it.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #379 on: March 18, 2020, 03:20:49 am »
Well, this sucks and there's enough of a paywall but I will post what the story says, it's also from March 1st:

CORONAVIRUS
Chinese scientists destroyed proof of virus in December
Philip Sherwell, Bangkok

Chinese laboratories identified a mystery virus as a highly infectious new pathogen by late December last year, but they were ordered to stop tests, destroy samples and suppress the news, a Chinese media outlet has revealed.

A regional health official in Wuhan, centre of the outbreak, demanded the destruction of the lab samples that established the cause of unexplained viral pneumonia on January 1. China did not acknowledge there was human-to-human transmission until more than three weeks later.

The detailed revelations by Caixin Global, a respected independent publication, provide the clearest evidence yet of the scale of the cover-up in the crucial early weeks when the opportunity was lost to control the outbreak.

More:  https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chinese-scientists-destroyed-proof-of-virus-in-december-rz055qjnj

That's really bad.... and it says they got this from a Chinese paper, I see it there named, CAIXIN,  I don't know if they are actually in China but they are tuned in to there, they are Chinese. I'm under the impression that freedom of the Press is heavily restricted.

CAIXIN are on the net and I believe in the English language, I was reading something from them the other day.

It appears indeed, they are headquartered in Beijing: 

https://www.caixinglobal.com/

China had SARS earlier, I don't know much about that. I believe Senator Cotton asserts that they were irresponsible with SARS and so that this is a repeat but probably much more serious.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:29:23 am by TomSea »

Online DB

« Reply #380 on: March 18, 2020, 03:36:28 am »
Well, this sucks and there's enough of a paywall but I will post what the story says, it's also from March 1st:

That's really bad.... and it says they got this from a Chinese paper, I see it there named, CAIXIN,  I don't know if they are actually in China but they are tuned in to there, they are Chinese. I'm under the impression that freedom of the Press is heavily restricted.

CAIXIN are on the net and I believe in the English language, I was reading something from them the other day.

It appears indeed, they are headquartered in Beijing: 

https://www.caixinglobal.com/

China had SARS earlier, I don't know much about that. I believe Senator Cotton asserts that they were irresponsible with SARS and so that this is a repeat but probably much more serious.

If this is true the only likely reason to destroy the samples is the RNA matched what was in their bio lab and they were trying to make it disappear in a panic. But it didn't.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #381 on: March 18, 2020, 12:27:51 pm »
John Daniel Davidson “Mexico Is Dangerously Unprepared” for the Coronavirus

As much of the world goes into various stages of lockdown because of the Wuhan coronavirus, Mexico is in denial. The government’s response thus far has been to downplay the risks and carry on with life as normal. Mexican officialdom has taken almost no steps to contain the virus or prepare for an outbreak, despite a warning last week from the deputy health minister that a widespread outbreak is inevitable and that community transmission could begin there in a matter of weeks.

When that happens—not if, when—things are going to deteriorate very quickly in Mexico. The outbreak will almost certainly affect the entire country, cripple the economy, and threaten to bring down an already weak and corrupt government.

As of Saturday, there were only 41 confirmed cases in Mexico, where the disease was first detected at the end of February, about a month after it was detected in the United States. But there are likely many more infections across the country. Francisco Moreno Sánchez, head of internal medicine at the ABC hospital in Mexico City, said last week “there must be many more cases” in Mexico and that the government is taking the risk of an outbreak too lightly. The effects of an undetected outbreak, he added, will be “brutal.”

More at:  https://newsthud.com/john-daniel-davidson-mexico-is-dangerously-unprepared-for-the-coronavirus/

'Preparing for war': Africans scramble for groceries
Clement Uwiringiyimana

KIGALI (Reuters) - Alarmed consumers thronged markets across Africa on Tuesday, many in masks and gloves, to stock up as the coronavirus spread on the world’s poorest continent.

Prices rose in some parts, though at least one country, Rwanda, sought to control costs of staple foods.

“It is as if people are preparing for war,” said an astonished shopkeeper as Rwandans clamored for rice, cooking oil, sugar and flour at a market in the capital Kigali.

More:   https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-africa-idUSKBN21421L

It has been a bit like preparing for war.

Actually, at least, Africa seems to be taking, generally speaking per checking news of all countries, seems to be taking quite a few measures.

Mexico, if not careful, could be in for it.. but pushing Easter up to March 20, Holy Week or however the calendar they are using does it, I'm not sure if that is even going to be helpful.

As much as they can, apparently countries like Venezuela are preparing, Colombia has closed their borders.

This is one heckuva thing.

Global Coronavirus cases pass 200,000
- BBC Live Coverage

Boris Johnson replies that testing is moving to "up to 25,000 a day", and says work is ongoing to make sure NHS workers can go to work in "perfect security".

Just look at how different it is from last week's PMQs...

So, way too much news.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 12:36:05 pm by TomSea »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #382 on: March 18, 2020, 01:41:39 pm »
CLOSE DOWN THE BORDER COMPLETELY!  FIRE AT WILL FOR THOSE WHO REFUSE TO STOP AND TURN AROUND!!  ANYONE ILLEGALLY STEPPING FOOT ON US SOIL WILL BE CONSIDERED AN ENEMY OF THE U.S.

ANNOUNCE THIS LOUD AND CLEAR MR. PRESIDENT.  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

I bet you have the same brand of keyboard President Trump tweets with.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #383 on: March 18, 2020, 01:47:39 pm »
The coronavirus (COVID-19) has spread throughout the world, having infected more than 100,000 people and causing the deaths of more than 4,000.
How old is this story?  Those numbers are actually half what they should be.  https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html Kinda makes me question the intelligence of the writer and certainly the editor.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #384 on: March 18, 2020, 02:20:29 pm »
Coronavirus: Big rise in UK COVID-19 cases - up by 676 to 2,626

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-big-rise-in-uk-covid-19-cases-up-by-676-to-2-626-11959591

Breaking. Just headline with a developing blip underneath
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: China is kicking NYT, WSJ, Wash. Post journalists out of the country
« Reply #385 on: March 18, 2020, 04:13:34 pm »
"Journalists" who falsely accuse Trump of censorship and infringing freedom of the press experiencing real censorship and press freedom violations? I'm having trouble seeing a downside to that.

The wolf-criers getting eaten by a different but real wolf.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #386 on: March 18, 2020, 06:29:19 pm »
What I find the most interesting about this story, is who isn't being kicked out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #387 on: March 18, 2020, 06:38:13 pm »
We need to revisit all trade agreements with China immediately.  I am a free marketeer, but only where it benefits the free countries.  Their government has poisoned the world.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #388 on: March 18, 2020, 06:58:04 pm »
Coronavirus: Big rise in UK COVID-19 cases - up by 676 to 2,626

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-big-rise-in-uk-covid-19-cases-up-by-676-to-2-626-11959591

Breaking. Just headline with a developing blip underneath
When I see a jump in numbers like that, I have to wonder if it is at least partly an artifact of increased testing or getting the results back. Before being tested, these same cases did not count, officially, even though the people had the virus.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #389 on: March 18, 2020, 07:24:43 pm »
WHO = World Hysteria Organization
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2020, 07:51:57 pm »
GM and Ford to close all North American plants through end of month
by Sean Higgins
March 18, 2020 02:49 PM

General Motors and Ford announced Wednesday that they would suspend all production at their North American facilities until the end of the month, saying the move was necessary to protect employees from contracting the coronavirus. Fiat-Chrysler was expected to make a similar announcement.

The announcement came less than a day after the companies announced, along with the United Auto Workers, that they would engage in rotating shutdowns of their plants to limit workers' exposure to the virus. However, shortly after that announcement, news broke that a worker at the Sterling, Michigan, Fiat-Chrysler plant had become sick, prompting the groups to rethink the strategy, according to an official with knowledge of the talks. The source said that Fiat-Chrysler was expected to also close its plants, but it had not made a statement early Wednesday afternoon.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/gm-and-ford-to-close-all-north-american-plants-through-end-of-month
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2020, 07:57:11 pm »
Fox News:

South Africa's coronavirus cases nearly double in ‘explosive’ rate, local transmissions diagnosed

South Africa reported Wednesday the number of coronavirus cases in the country nearly doubled in a span of just two days as the pandemic begins to grip the African continent.

The sub-Saharan country, which has the most cases in the region, said there are now 116 new COVID-19 cases, including 14 from a local transmission and six in children under 10.

Read more at:  https://www.foxnews.com/world/south-africa-coronavirus-cases

Irish Times:

Coronavirus: Italy’s death toll surges by 475 as over 200,000 cases reported worldwide

US-Canada border set to close, while Iran sees another jump in fatalities
Read more at: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/coronavirus-italy-s-death-toll-surges-by-475-as-over-200-000-cases-reported-worldwide-1.4205664

I don't care what anyone says, when Italy has hundreds dying and that's a high number or Spain who had some figure in the 200s dying in a day, that's serious. It's amazing this would even need to be defended as news relevant.

IB Times:
First Virus Death In Sub-Saharan Africa As WHO Warns 'Prepare For Worst'

Sub-Saharan Africa on Wednesday recorded its first coronavirus death, a high-ranking politician in Burkina Faso, as the head of the World Health Organisation urged the continent to "prepare for the worst".

"Africa should wake up," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a press conference in Geneva, pointing out that "in other countries we have seen how the virus actually accelerates after a certain tipping point".

Africa has lagged behind the global curve for coronavirus infections and deaths, but in the past few days has seen a significant rise in cases.

Read more at:   https://www.ibtimes.com/first-virus-death-sub-saharan-africa-who-warns-prepare-worst-2942161

Global powers unleash trillions of dollars to stem spiraling coronavirus crisis
David Shepardson, David Milliken

WASHINGTON/LONDON (Reuters) - The world’s richest nations prepared more costly measures on Tuesday to combat the global fallout of the coronavirus that has infected tens of thousands of people, triggered social restrictions unseen since World War Two and sent economies spinning toward recession.

Read more at:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-idUSKBN21432M

Coronavirus surges across Southeast Asia as Malaysia warns of 'tsunami' of cases
Stanley Widianto, Ebrahim Harris

JAKARTA/KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Coronavirus infections surged across Southeast Asia on Wednesday with Indonesia’s death toll jumping from five to 19 and Malaysia warning of “a tsunami” of cases if people did not follow new restrictions on movement.

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-malaysia-idUSKBN21508Q

Really, a lot of negatives.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #392 on: March 18, 2020, 08:00:25 pm »
When I see a jump in numbers like that, I have to wonder if it is at least partly an artifact of increased testing or getting the results back. Before being tested, these same cases did not count, officially, even though the people had the virus.

That's absolutely true... I've seen it commented on TV (oh, big deal) by experts though, yes, naturally more testing means more positives.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2020, 08:00:25 pm »
Really, a lot of negatives.

How else do you expect the left to trash the economy enough to win the next election?  So how about giving it a rest for the next 21 days so that we can focus on rising recovery rates instead of parroting MSM agenda-driven hysteria?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #394 on: March 18, 2020, 08:45:54 pm »
WHO Now Officially Recommends to Avoid Taking Ibuprofen For COVID-19 Symptoms
https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms
17 MARCH 2020

The World Health Organization recommended Tuesday that people suffering COVID-19 symptoms avoid taking ibuprofen, after French officials warned that anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen effects of the virus.

The warning by French Health Minister Veran followed a recent study in The Lancet medical journal that hypothesised that an enzyme boosted by anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen could facilitate and worsen COVID-19 infections....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Hoodat

« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2020, 08:49:25 pm »
The World Health Organization recommended Tuesday that people suffering COVID-19 symptoms avoid taking ibuprofen .  .  .

.  .  .  based on one case.

Idiots.

Offline thackney

« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2020, 09:01:38 pm »
.  .  .  based on one case.

Idiots.

A bit more than one:

Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fulltext
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Hoodat

« Reply #397 on: March 18, 2020, 09:06:09 pm »
A bit more than one:

Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8/fulltext

It is a hypothesis only.  Not based on actual case study.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #398 on: March 19, 2020, 12:13:57 am »
Cross posted from editorials:

It is time we all challenged the Chinese regime. Enough is enough.  -

Nigel Farage  

Newsweek:
Nigel Farage: The Virus is Yet Another Reason to Rethink the West's Relationship With China | Opinion
Nigel Farage       On 3/18/20

The West appears to be facing its worst crisis since 1939 because of a new global pandemic. Thousands of people have died. More, we are told, will die. And the economic shock to the system has been profound. Yet one country, China, seems to be above criticism. As China begins to expel American journalists, I am left wondering: who are the villains of this piece?

I have to confess that last week I found myself feeling more depressed than I had been in my adult life by the words of the chief scientific officer Sir Patrick Vallance. He said that 60 per cent of the U.K. population needed to get COVID-19 in order for our nation to build herd immunity, yet Boris Johnson had said nothing about this. I worked out pretty quickly that this tactic would trigger in the region of 400,000 deaths. A few days later it transpired that the Imperial College COVID-19 response team had done some work for the government and estimated that about 260,000 people would die if this disease was allowed to spread.

Since then, I am pleased to say that government policy has changed. Britain is acting in line with many other countries in attempting to suppress the virus. Downing Street has recognised that a rapid spread of COVID-19 would overwhelm the NHS. The penny has dropped. We must hold our nerve and hope for the best.

Newsweek

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #399 on: March 19, 2020, 12:23:04 am »
Italy Death Apocalypse Continues With 475 Dead On Tuesday: Crematoriums Run 24/24, Coffins Fill Up Hospital Morgues, Cemetery Morgue and Cemetery Church, Funerals Without Family Members

By Strange Sounds -Mar 18, 2020

https://strangesounds.org/2020/03/italy-coronavirus-death-coffins-church-bergamo-475-day.html

After 368 dead on Sunday and 349 dead on Monday, now 475 have died from Covid-19 Tuesday.

The Coronavirus deaths are so high in Italy that officials don’t know how to deal with coffins, some places have a waiting list for burials and funerals are happening with no family members there.

After 368 dead on Sunday and 349 dead on Monday, now 475 have died from Covid-19 Tuesday.

By death toll alone, the coronavirus has landed in the northern province of Bergamo with the force of a historic disaster.

In the part of Italy hit hardest by the coronavirus, the crematorium has started operating 24 hours a day.

More at link.