Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79645 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #2725 on: March 20, 2020, 05:28:12 pm »
I don't understand why.  It's just like a bad flu virus, plus it only kills the elderly or the weakest among us.  They were pretty much in God's waiting room anyway, plus why should I have to pay to save THEM. /sarcasm

Because he is dumb as post! Just like his friend, the Governor of California.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2726 on: March 20, 2020, 05:28:20 pm »
I double posted above story here and the NY thread. It’s important for people living in NY see it.
I saw the press conference. Very discouraged. Thankfully this is as far as Cuomo is willing to go but I'm certainly hoping this doesn't last more than a few weeks.

There are still no confirmed cases here in my county and likely very few unconfirmed ones. There is already plenty of space to keep social distancing. As I noted, the last major gatherings here were the weekend of March 7 and 8. The last major chance of infection likely came from people coming home from college this past week. This SHOULD put the kibosh on any cases here within a couple of weeks if it works as well as they say.

If and when that happens, I am hoping that the governor recognizes that and loosens the restrictions here to focus efforts on urban areas where disease treatment and eradication will likely require a longer time span.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2727 on: March 20, 2020, 05:32:19 pm »
Because he is dumb as post! Just like his friend, the Governor of California.

Actually, he is... confining people to close quarters without removing all vectors just means the whole house will infect.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2728 on: March 20, 2020, 05:33:37 pm »
New York joins California in locking down against the virus

New York state moved to join California on Friday in confining nearly all residents to their homes, as governors undertook their most sweeping efforts yet to contain the coronavirus and fend off the kind of onslaught of patients that has caused southern Europe to buckle.

“We’re going to close the valve, because the rate of increase in the number of cases portends a total overwhelming of our hospital system,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said as cases in the state climbed to more than 7,000 and the death toll reached at least 38.

Cuomo said that starting Sunday, all workers in nonessential businesses must stay home and all gatherings of any size will be banned in the state of more than 19 million people. The move came after California all but confined its 40 million residents in the biggest lockdown in the nation.

https://apnews.com/52f7fc77cce85060ad1cf73297b7cd45

Because of DiBlasio's and Cuomo's inaction early on, NY is likely to become America's version of Italy.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2729 on: March 20, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »
I saw the press conference. Very discouraged. Thankfully this is as far as Cuomo is willing to go but I'm certainly hoping this doesn't last more than a few weeks.

There are still no confirmed cases here in my county and likely very few unconfirmed ones. There is already plenty of space to keep social distancing. As I noted, the last major gatherings here were the weekend of March 7 and 8. The last major chance of infection likely came from people coming home from college this past week. This SHOULD put the kibosh on any cases here within a couple of weeks if it works as well as they say.

If and when that happens, I am hoping that the governor recognizes that and loosens the restrictions here to focus efforts on urban areas where disease treatment and eradication will likely require a longer time span.
We'll all be ok...  Don't stress out about this.  I've been sleeping like a baby.  No reason to worry.  Take it all to God in prayer....

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2730 on: March 20, 2020, 05:36:38 pm »
"I can just say the entire world is agreeing with us, because they all have their choice, and Everybody is doing the exact same thing. 
We want to shut it out and we can do that. 
We'll see what happens in 2 weeks..in 3 weeks.
If we can save thousands of lives, and even millions of lives potentially, you don't know where it goes.
but you could be talking about millions of lives.

[snip] The President points out that even smart leaders in other countries agree with him[/snip]

We can bring our finances back very quickly, we can't bring the people back."

Good stuff Mr President  :patriot:

« Reply #2731 on: March 20, 2020, 05:39:30 pm »

@corbe I get your point.
What did Friedman say about National Emergencies?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2732 on: March 20, 2020, 05:46:38 pm »
This is a total doubters thread on TBR:   http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,394834.msg2173068/boardseen.html#new

Is it totally dismissive? It's darn close. It's always easy too, to just say the problem is being exaggerated.

If the Coronavirus is being compared to the yearly flu in severity, yes, that seems to be very dismissive.
Dismissive of the panic that has stripped store shelves and had people fighting over toilet paper, and dismissive of "statistics" which give mortality without a denominator and allow for no rate to be calculated to put this disease into perspective.

But not dismissive of the disease nor the fact that people are dying from it.

Quit pimping panic. Thank you.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2733 on: March 20, 2020, 05:52:17 pm »
Dismissive of the panic that has stripped store shelves and had people fighting over toilet paper, and dismissive of "statistics" which give mortality without a denominator and allow for no rate to be calculated to put this disease into perspective.

We or should I say I don't care to see fumigators out spraying the streets, crematoriums used to burn the dead as is happening in Italy here nor flooded clinics.

Can the ad homs if you just are not knowledgeable of the situation, that's not my fault.

Thank you, have a nice day.

Reagan alumnus:
Prof. Steve Hanke
@steve_hanke
#Italy suffered from 475 #Coronavirus deaths in one day. The city of #Bergamo doesn't have enough capacity to cremate all the bodies, so the military had to transport bodies out of the city.

If the US wants to avoid the same fate, the govt must act fast.

https://twitter.com/steve_hanke/status/1240655961846624257

Sorry, I did not know you were so much more of an expert.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2734 on: March 20, 2020, 05:54:31 pm »

Since you are not part of the high risk group, I take it that you've taken NO precautions at all. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2735 on: March 20, 2020, 05:56:59 pm »
"I can just say the entire world is agreeing with us, because they all have their choice, and Everybody is doing the exact same thing. 

And there is the irony.

We want to shut it out and we can do that. 

No we can't... As those in your first statement will inevitably find out, as they are copying all the nations that came before...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2736 on: March 20, 2020, 05:58:11 pm »
I don't understand why.  It's just like a bad flu virus, plus it only kills the elderly or the weakest among us.  They were pretty much in God's waiting room anyway, plus why should I have to pay to save THEM. /sarcasm
Keep in mind that Cuomo was also instrumental in banning fraccing from New York State and blocking pipelines which could have carried Natural Gas not only to New York, but to the entire Northeast.

Once again, the main identified risk factors for a fatal outcome do not necessarily include age, but do include Hypertension, Coronary Disease, and Diabetes. "Pre-existing medical conditions" are nearly universal in cases with fatal outcomes.
Those conditions tend to be more common with age, so the mortality figures appear skewed on the basis of age.

Kindly return your sarcasm to the appropriate orifice.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online corbe

« Reply #2737 on: March 20, 2020, 06:00:10 pm »

@corbe I get your point.
What did Friedman say about National Emergencies?

Nothing that I can quickly discern @Once-Ler  we are indeed in uncharted waters.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2738 on: March 20, 2020, 06:00:28 pm »
And there is the irony.

No we can't... As those in your first statement will inevitably find out, as they are copying all the nations that came before...
Back to the recommended reading The masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2739 on: March 20, 2020, 06:03:24 pm »

You can buy em books and buy em books, and all they'll do is eat the covers.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2740 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:24 pm »

Nothing that I can quickly discern @Once-Ler  we are indeed in uncharted waters.

And that is the one compelling argument for the draconian response we're seeing. The best any of us can manage is an educated guess.

Granted, some more educated than others.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2741 on: March 20, 2020, 06:04:42 pm »

Kindly return your sarcasm to the appropriate orifice.

*golf clap*
Nice return.
 :beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2742 on: March 20, 2020, 06:05:55 pm »

I was wondering when the story about Prospero woud come up....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2743 on: March 20, 2020, 06:06:01 pm »
And that is the one compelling argument for the draconian response we're seeing. The best any of us can manage is an educated guess.

Granted, some more educated than others.

YES! The very same draconian responses that have not worked anywhere!

woohoo  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2744 on: March 20, 2020, 06:07:55 pm »
YES! The very same draconian responses that have not worked anywhere!

woohoo  *****rollingeyes*****

I said it was the one compelling argument. I didn't say I agreed with it.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2745 on: March 20, 2020, 06:12:49 pm »
I said it was the one compelling argument. I didn't say I agreed with it.

I know. Your position has been clear all along. My sarcasm was not directed at you personally  :seeya:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2746 on: March 20, 2020, 06:14:23 pm »
Since you are not part of the high risk group, I take it that you've taken NO precautions at all.
We don't know all of the factors, but I don't have heart disease, hypertension, nor diabetes.
That reduces my apparent vulnerability to the disease by 99%.
The nearest confirmed case of the virus is 150 miles away.
If the disease gets closer, I will worry about it.
I have some masks, a full pantry (normally), full freezers (also normal), and no garage full of toilet paper.
I go about my business as usual, only stay a little farther from the people I talk with, limit contact, and wash my hands a little more frequently. The temperature outside this morning when I awoke was 1 degree above zero, so I wear gloves as a matter of course. I have for the duration of this disease quit shaking hands, which is harder for me than you might think, partly because the nature of a person's handshake tells me a lot about them.
When my gas tank gets down to 3/4 I fill up, as is prudent in this climate. You never run on the bottom of the fuel tank here, always the top half, and a full tank reduces the expansion and contraction of vapor in the fuel tank, which makes for less water vapor in the system, which prevents fuel line icing, which can be fatal. I don't know anyone personally who has died from this disease, but I did know two people who froze to death.

With all that in mind, I have taken no specific special measures, because all of the above, with the exception of the lack of handshakes and standing a couple feet further away, are just a way of life for me.
I have a full beard, so the ordinary N95 mask won't seal anyway.

What more would you have me do?

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2747 on: March 20, 2020, 06:16:51 pm »
Twitter.....

@PeterSweden7
·
1h

BREAKING: Largest increase yet in Corona virus cases in Italy

5 986 new infections and 627 dead today.

- 47 021 infected.
- 4 032 dead.
- 8.6% death rate.

Spain also has over 20 000 cases now.

This is getting really bad

« Reply #2748 on: March 20, 2020, 06:21:31 pm »
I double posted above story here and the NY thread. It’s important for people living in NY see it.
@Gefn It's the biggest news of the day.  Everybody needs to see it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2749 on: March 20, 2020, 06:23:15 pm »
We don't know all of the factors, but I don't have heart disease, hypertension, nor diabetes.
That reduces my apparent vulnerability to the disease by 99%.
The nearest confirmed case of the virus is 150 miles away.
If the disease gets closer, I will worry about it.
I have some masks, a full pantry (normally), full freezers (also normal), and no garage full of toilet paper.
I go about my business as usual, only stay a little farther from the people I talk with, limit contact, and wash my hands a little more frequently. The temperature outside this morning when I awoke was 1 degree above zero, so I wear gloves as a matter of course. I have for the duration of this disease quit shaking hands, which is harder for me than you might think, partly because the nature of a person's handshake tells me a lot about them.
When my gas tank gets down to 3/4 I fill up, as is prudent in this climate. You never run on the bottom of the fuel tank here, always the top half, and a full tank reduces the expansion and contraction of vapor in the fuel tank, which makes for less water vapor in the system, which prevents fuel line icing, which can be fatal. I don't know anyone personally who has died from this disease, but I did know two people who froze to death.

With all that in mind, I have taken no specific special measures, because all of the above, with the exception of the lack of handshakes and standing a couple feet further away, are just a way of life for me.
I have a full beard, so the ordinary N95 mask won't seal anyway.

What more would you have me do?

My normal preparedness is the same as yours.  Our pantry is full, as is the large freezer.  Didn't panic buy a single thing.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: