Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79640 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #2100 on: March 17, 2020, 04:56:09 pm »
How about the VIRUS Smallpox?? And all those quarantined because they, or family members had it, and all those lives SAVED because of it??

Small pox is back. It is only a matter of time till that and all the other old world viruses outbreak again.
Our war on them was won with hygiene over decades...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2101 on: March 17, 2020, 04:57:02 pm »
@Hoodat

Update from 3 days ago.

February 12 the stock market closed at an all-time record high of 29,551.42
Yesterday it closed at 20,188.52.

Did you purchase all your stock on Feb 12?  Did you sell it all yesterday?  Didn't think so.  Stock is only worth anything on two occasions - the moment you buy and the moment you sell.  At all other times, it has no monetary value.  But hey, if you want to panic, then by all means sell low and buy high.

I purchase my stock as a long-term investment for when I retire (which won't be for another 15-20 years or so because of the insolvency of social security).  Key word:  Long term.  If you have cash on hand, then now is the time to buy.  Stocks are a bargain right now.  Jump in while the going is good.  Unless you would rather sit on the sideline and bitch about how much the market has fallen in five weeks while ignoring how much it has risen in 40 years, all with zero intention of either buying or selling.

That's a 31.7% drop in just over a month, and less than 500 points more than it was at 19,732 when Trump was inaugurated.  The DOW today is up 2.3% since Trump took office.  How much praise does 2.3% over 3 years deserve?

It doesn't.  Just pointing out the bias of your selective outrage.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2102 on: March 17, 2020, 04:57:30 pm »
goopo

I agree.  I think, as a group, we're getting better at it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2103 on: March 17, 2020, 04:58:22 pm »
A coronavirus patient refused to quarantine, so deputies are surrounding his house to force him to

Ok, this guy has the virus and no one wants him spreading it around.  But is the next step to force all of us still  healthy people to stay home  by whatever means necessary, including force?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/us/kentucky-refused-quarantine-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

That’s a pretty big step, but definitely a concern.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2104 on: March 17, 2020, 04:58:55 pm »
But to just call this the flu and no big deal and that it just needs to run it course naturally is something else.

I did NOT say that.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2105 on: March 17, 2020, 04:59:55 pm »
It is an opinion piece, not an article.  But I do think that the economic impact from draconian measures we collectively as a nation are taking in the current panic will be far more damaging and far-reaching than the virus itself.  The influx of new money by the Fed has by itself reduced my standard of living.

@Hoodat Thank you for the response.  You maybe right, in fact I hope you are.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2106 on: March 17, 2020, 05:00:13 pm »
I agree.  I think, as a group, we're getting better at it.

Perhaps one of the benefits of confinement.  We all try harder to get along.

(Well, most of us!  wink777)

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2107 on: March 17, 2020, 05:00:44 pm »
Like right now, as I write, I see 3 deer getting dangerously close to my wife's rose garden,  I'd normally spook 'em, but I think I will give 'em a pass this time.

I'm guessing your wife no longer has any hostas.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2108 on: March 17, 2020, 05:02:17 pm »
Small pox is back. It is only a matter of time till that and all the other old world viruses outbreak again.
Our war on them was won with hygiene over decades...

Didn’t say it was gone.  It was contained by quarantine, not by saying it was no big deal.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2109 on: March 17, 2020, 05:02:27 pm »
I'm one of those old people who is still going out, but these days, I'm rather limited to supermarkets and pharmacies as destinations because almost everything else is closed.

Oh, so it was you that I ran into at the store.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2110 on: March 17, 2020, 05:03:27 pm »

Nobody with deer in the neighborhood has any hosta left.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2111 on: March 17, 2020, 05:05:26 pm »
Didn’t say it was gone.  It was contained by quarantine, not by saying it was no big deal.

No it wasn't, not after outbreak. Single cases yes, but once it hits the wild, its going to run.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2112 on: March 17, 2020, 05:07:08 pm »

Naw...  Scared them.  Losing a bunch of buds off those roses, could be mood changer.  No thanks.   :cool:

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2113 on: March 17, 2020, 05:10:46 pm »
Naw...  Scared them.  Losing a bunch of buds off those roses, could be mood changer.  No thanks.   :cool:

You clearly understand the Wrath of the Wife.... 888mouth
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

« Reply #2114 on: March 17, 2020, 05:13:26 pm »
Did you purchase all your stock on Feb 12?  Did you sell it all yesterday?  Didn't think so.  Stock is only worth anything on two occasions - the moment you buy and the moment you sell.  At all other times, it has no monetary value.  But hey, if you want to panic, then by all means sell low and buy high.

I purchase my stock as a long-term investment for when I retire (which won't be for another 15-20 years or so because of the insolvency of social security).  Key word:  Long term.  If you have cash on hand, then now is the time to buy.  Stocks are a bargain right now.  Jump in while the going is good.  Unless you would rather sit on the sideline and bitch about how much the market has fallen in five weeks while ignoring how much it has risen in 40 years, all with zero intention of either buying or selling.

I think that is gobbledygook @Hoodat .  My stocks had a value much higher a month ago.  I can see the new value on the ticker today, but try that on the voters.  wink777

It doesn't.  Just pointing out the bias of your selective outrage.

It's true I didn't used to complain about the Stock Market until this last month, and I wasn't outraged.  I'm not ashamed to admit I was selectively joyful that my stocks were doing so much better than three years ago.  Hence my outrage at this time. 

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2115 on: March 17, 2020, 05:15:00 pm »
When Fauci speaks I'm reminded of this character from the original Independence Day .... 

Perhaps it's time to return Fauci to the back room ... without WIFI.  :laugh:

*****rollingeyes*****
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline DB

« Reply #2116 on: March 17, 2020, 05:19:38 pm »
I think that is gobbledygook @Hoodat .  My stocks had a value much higher a month ago.  I can see the new value on the ticker today, but try that on the voters.  wink777

It's true I didn't used to complain about the Stock Market until this last month, and I wasn't outraged.  I'm not ashamed to admit I was selectively joyful that my stocks were doing so much better than three years ago.  Hence my outrage at this time.

Well the likely truth is when this current storm passes the stock market is going to have the biggest and fastest gains in history. There's no indication that any of this is long lasting (economically) with some exceptions. Small business is going to be the hardest hit, especially businesses that provide direct services to the public. That's where help needs to be focused.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2117 on: March 17, 2020, 05:21:43 pm »
No it wasn't, not after outbreak. Single cases yes, but once it hits the wild, its going to run.

Not going anywhere with this.

Last comment here about this to you: it is inappropriate to say this is ‘just a virus’ and because of that we should do nothing to slow its growth.

It is even worse to say, everybody’s gonna die, so live life as usual, or I’m going to ignore precautions about social contact because nobody’s going to tell ME what to do.

That kind of callousness is neither Christian nor Conservative, and I will never agree with it.

You may respond to this as you will, but I’ve made my point repeatedly and don’t care to continue it.

Love you, man. You’re one of my allies here, and I don’t want to risk losing that.

Stay healthy.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2118 on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:26 pm »
Not going anywhere with this.

Last comment here about this to you: it is inappropriate to say this is ‘just a virus’ and because of that we should do nothing to slow its growth.

I did not say that.

It is even worse to say, everybody’s gonna die, so live life as usual, or I’m going to ignore precautions about social contact because nobody’s going to tell ME what to do.

I did not say that either.

« Reply #2119 on: March 17, 2020, 05:28:57 pm »
Well the likely truth is when this current storm passes the stock market is going to have the biggest and fastest gains in history.
  I don't think we can know this although the President could certainly have a hunch about it.
There's no indication that any of this is long lasting (economically) with some exceptions.
Except for the panicked outcry of businesses currently shut down.
Small business is going to be the hardest hit, especially businesses that provide direct services to the public. That's where help needs to be focused.
Agreed.  Thanx for your reply @DB .
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:30:49 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2120 on: March 17, 2020, 05:34:32 pm »
I think that is gobbledygook @Hoodat .  My stocks had a value much higher a month ago.

That value was wasted if you failed to sell or leverage for something else of value.

I can see the new value on the ticker today

That value is meaningless unless you intend to buy, sell, or leverage.  A $100 bill can't purchase anything while it remains in your pocket.

Please consider why you purchased stock to begin with, what your overall goal was, and where the finish line is.  Anyone working in the market knew that the DOW at 29k was huge bubble territory.  At some time, it was going to go down and stabilize.  But everyone was enjoying riding the wave and afraid to get off, lest they be left behind.  When it hit 24k, I knew it was too high.  But I didn't sell.  When it hit 26k, I knew it was overvalued, but didn't sell.  When it hit 29k, I knew it was overvalued, but didn't sell.  And now that it is at 20k, I know it is closer to actual value, but I still ain't selling.  Because the point of buying it to begin with was for my retirement many years down the road.

As for what the average American watching in fear as the ticker changes, I would be willing to bet that 99% of them couldn't name 5 DJI stocks.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2121 on: March 17, 2020, 05:38:35 pm »
Please tell me how well Governor Cuomo is handling this crisis.
New York virus to peak in 45 days (!), taxing hospitals, Cuomo says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-virus-to-peak-in-45-days-taxing-hospitals-cuomo-says/ar-BB11jtPi?ocid=spartandhp
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2122 on: March 17, 2020, 05:42:25 pm »
Some grocery stores create 'elderly hours' to protect older shoppers during coronavirus

Some grocery stores are creating “elderly hours” to allow older customers to get their shopping done during the coronavirus outbreak.

Grocery chains around the world, including Australia's Woolworth, announced they would institute special early hours for older individuals starting Tuesday.
Several grocery stores in the U.S. have encouraged online pickup and delivery services to prevent vulnerable populations from coming in contact with the virus in public. Some have also started closing early to allow employees enough time to restock shelves depleted by anxious shoppers. 

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/487922-some-grocery-stores-create-elderly-hours-to-protect

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2123 on: March 17, 2020, 05:43:00 pm »
Please consider why you purchased stock to begin with, what your overall goal was, and where the finish line is.  Anyone working in the market knew that the DOW at 29k was huge bubble territory.  At some time, it was going to go down and stabilize.  But everyone was enjoying riding the wave and afraid to get off, lest they be left behind.  When it hit 24k, I knew it was too high.  But I didn't sell.  When it hit 26k, I knew it was overvalued, but didn't sell.  When it hit 29k, I knew it was overvalued, but didn't sell.  And now that it is at 20k, I know it is closer to actual value, but I still ain't selling.  Because the point of buying it to begin with was for my retirement many years down the road.

That's a sound investment strategy.  I moved my dough out of the Markets completely about a year ago, but it had nothing to do with what the market was doing, it was because my investment horizon had shrunken to nothing when I chose to retire young.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DB

« Reply #2124 on: March 17, 2020, 05:45:25 pm »
Some grocery stores create 'elderly hours' to protect older shoppers during coronavirus

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/487922-some-grocery-stores-create-elderly-hours-to-protect

That sounds like a good idea driven by the free market.