Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79645 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #1800 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:20 pm »
Is this a bad response?

Not if you look at the context in which it is written.  Trump went on to say, “We will be backing you, but try getting it yourselves. Point of sales, much better, much more direct if you can get it yourself.”  This is the correct response.  The governors are responsible for the welfare of their prospective States.  They are ultimately in charge of securing what their State needs.  And if they are having difficulty getting something, at that point then they should call the federal government.  Makes perfect sense.

I am so sick and tired of seeing DU trash posted on these boards, @TomSfea .  Can you give it a rest?  Or better yet, do some friggin' research and find out what Trump actually said instead of trusting what some left-wing idiot tweeted without context.

You never debunk anything, you post something, here's some doctor who used cocaine and video.

Conservatives don't try to shut down free speech.

Ted Cruz went into quarantine and extended it a week, I've read what Senator Cotton has said, your views are absolute nonsense and you try to shame others with your name-calling.  I'm sorry, you don't seem to know what you are talking about.  And if one is abrasive, much less of a chance of even reading what you are saying.  Please don't tell others you are the conservative way.

And @Sighlass of all things, said where he lived in Alabama, people were protesting the quarantine center that was being built, but all you've got is name-calling sorry... yeah, and outright mistruths saying this is not what Trump said.. hard to read your posts with this conduct.

This is like the biggest story since 9/11 or the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns and you want people to obey what  you say with barely any backup. It's unfathomable.

Tom Cotton

Ted Cruz, not conservatives? Interesting perspective.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:23:41 pm by TomSea »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1801 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:23 pm »
There isn't likely enough time to produce enough respirators to really change things at this point. A specialty product that has a long list of procurement requirement items. It should be pursued, but will likely be late to the party. The only real option left is slow the infection rate so that you lower the peak amount of respirators needed so more people can be treated overall. It allows more time for new production. It also allows more time for a possible vaccine or other treatment to come online.

I don't know what the right balance is. There is significant destruction on either side of the equation.

No one knows what the right balance is for sure.

But you are absolutely right.  If the infection rate is slowed significantly (which it will be by limiting group sizes), then there is more time to produce more medical supplies.

As I've said elsewhere, in the presser today our director of health said we have plenty of supplies here in Ohio, but the point of the measures being taken are to prevent that large uptick of cases which will absolutely come if nothing is done.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DB

« Reply #1802 on: March 16, 2020, 09:15:33 pm »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1803 on: March 16, 2020, 09:17:08 pm »
It is California...

Good point.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1804 on: March 16, 2020, 09:23:02 pm »
I am currently undergoing PT post-hip replacement. No big deal to the government if my recovery suffers or I don't regain proper function because I'm not permitted to go to the PT facility.
 9999hair out0000

I don't know -- since the PT is post-op medical, would there be an exception to the lockdown in your case?  Or could there be some sessions held in your home? 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1805 on: March 16, 2020, 09:23:31 pm »
Kroger was out of milk. If there's a mandatory quarantine, I guess I'll just go without for a few weeks. But seriously, who hoards milk? It's not like it has an indefinite shelf life.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DB

« Reply #1806 on: March 16, 2020, 09:24:02 pm »
Show me that we have ever effectively stopped a virus and I might believe an alternate option... But that significant distruction is already ordained. which means a focus on logistics is what will actually be effective.

I'm not suggesting it is going to be stopped. We can only hope to slow it down. Italy didn't slow it down and they are also suffering significant destruction. Bad things are coming period. I'd rather be poorer than a family member dying because the health system was overwhelmed when they most needed care.

We'll know if we did it better or worse after it all passes. Different countries have done different things. Many of those outcomes will gauge how we did.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1807 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:53 pm »
I'd rather be poorer than a family member dying because the health system was overwhelmed when they most needed care.

Like I said, a logistics problem.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1808 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:55 pm »
Kroger was out of milk. If there's a mandatory quarantine, I guess I'll just go without for a few weeks. But seriously, who hoards milk? It's not like it has an indefinite shelf life.

Just like when it threatens to snow in western PA.  People buy up all the perishables land toilet paper. 

Perhaps look for shelf-stable milk?  I can't drink regular milk, but today I bought shelf stable versions of almond milk.  Not quite as good as the real stuff, but in a pinch it will do.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1809 on: March 16, 2020, 09:27:20 pm »

I figure this goofy panic buying will end soon.  Today our (HUGE) Kroger was out of bread, pasta, canned and frozen vegetables and of course, TP.

Eventually the panicked hoarders will have what they think they need, stay home, and normal people can just keep their pantries full.

This too shall pass....   happy77

btw, I think your post op therapy is considered essential, so you should be able to get it no problem.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1810 on: March 16, 2020, 09:28:44 pm »
No. I would say that's the real issue - and it is intimately intertwined with the virus.

It's actually a logistics problem and not prevention, with in normal reason... I think the virus will do what it does - You might as well try to stop the sun from rising. Do you think a government that can't stop the flow at the border can stop anything internally? Not without a lockdown like you wouldn't believe... And I expect that's what's coming. And even at that, the street will still be functioning. illegal drugs will still be flowing, the poor will still be mingling, the homeless will still be shitting... Which means of course that all the lock down will be ineffective.

I don't know if that's true... If you omit hotspots, the overall toll is cut in half or more. Even if it is as bad as they are saying, shutting down means logistical problems get worsen not better. You've just fixed the number of respirators in any given region, because shut down, there is no way in hell your getting more. It creates a finite pie.

I get the concern, I do. I have family in health care, and my mother and sister are certainly at risk, as am I myself in some aspects... So I get it.

When there was exactly one COVID-19 case in Arizona, he/she was in @DB's city.  I don't blame him a bit for being concerned.  I'd be if I still lived there, but isolation is the whole point of having moved to a Castle in the foothills. 

The only thing we had to go out for was the heavy cream Mrs. Liberty wants to churn butter with.  I don't know why.   :shrug:  I think she saw a YouTube or something.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

« Reply #1811 on: March 16, 2020, 09:31:01 pm »
Like I said, a logistics problem.

Yes. if demand is expected to surpass supply you have to decrease demand and/or increase supply to avoid going without. Here time is the critical factor. Weeks, not months.

Online DB

« Reply #1812 on: March 16, 2020, 09:33:20 pm »
When there was exactly one COVID-19 case in Arizona, he/she was in @DB's city.  I don't blame him a bit for being concerned.  I'd be if I still lived there, but isolation is the whole point of having moved to a Castle in the foothills. 

The only thing we had to go out for was the heavy cream Mrs. Liberty wants to churn butter with.  I don't know why.   :shrug:  I think she saw a YouTube or something.

Not only the same city, the same school my daughter is going to...

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1813 on: March 16, 2020, 09:34:26 pm »
I figure this goofy panic buying will end soon.  Today our (HUGE) Kroger was out of bread, pasta, canned and frozen vegetables and of course, TP.

Eventually the panicked hoarders will have what they think they need, stay home, and normal people can just keep their pantries full.

This too shall pass....   happy77

btw, I think your post op therapy is considered essential, so you should be able to get it no problem.

Where I live, the problem now is replacing what the panic buyers and hoarders have snapped up.  For example, I saw a sign in the cleaning products aisle of the local market that said replacement shipments might not come in for two more weeks.

And I hope you're right that @mountaineer can get her PT -- one way or the other.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1814 on: March 16, 2020, 09:35:23 pm »

No, no, no... You go find a farmer with a milk cow, buy raw milk from him and skim off the cream...

I am reasonably set up, of course, but went out today to stock up, and am leaving again right now... It's crazy man. Just plain crazy. It almost ain't worth the couple hundred dollars worth I'd like to get in... t least that's true now that I have coffee.

But i just got notice that I can't pay my electric bill - the place is closed down, and my only options are electronic... which I don't do. Looks like they get to wait.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1815 on: March 16, 2020, 09:35:47 pm »

Oh, wow.

Prayers @DB !!  Be safe!!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1816 on: March 16, 2020, 09:38:55 pm »

Yes.  ASU. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1817 on: March 16, 2020, 09:42:59 pm »
You never debunk anything

Read my post again.  I just did.

you post something, here's some doctor who used cocaine and video.

I don't know what this means.

Conservatives don't try to shut down free speech.

No one here is shutting down free speech.  I simply inquired why you would parrot DU bullshit.  Trump's statement was selectively abbreviated and deliberately taken out of context to convey something other than what Trump actually said.  Yet by your response, you seem to be on board with that.

Ted Cruz went into quarantine and extended it a week, I've read what Senator Cotton has said, your views are absolute nonsense

Then why not read what Trump said too instead of parroting a selective misrepresentation of his statement.

and you try to shame others with your name-calling.

What name did I call you?

Please don't tell others you are the conservative way.

Conservative way?  Weren't you the one reposting liberal tweets bashing the President by mischaracterizing his words?

And @Sighlass of all things, said where he lived in Alabama, people were protesting the quarantine center that was being built, but all you've got is name-calling sorry... yeah, and outright mistruths saying this is not what Trump said.. hard to read your posts with this conduct.

Please show me where I victimized @Sighlass with name-calling.

This is like the biggest story since 9/11 or the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns and you want people to obey what  you say with barely any backup. It's unfathomable.

Want you to obey?  lol.  Call me crazy, but I have this weird idea that liberal lies about President Trump shouldn't be posted here.  Or any lies for that matter.  Sadly, don't see it that way.  So if it is important to you, keep posting Democrat tweets falsely attacking the President.  Hope it makes you 'feel' better.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1818 on: March 16, 2020, 09:43:19 pm »
Then why not read what Trump said too instead of parroting a selective misrepresentation of his statement.

You didn't like that tweet? I would think a Bush appointee who also served for Obama and Trump might still be worth a read, it doesn't mean we always agree with what they say,  law clerk for William Rehnquist?

Parroting a misrepresenation of what he said? Hey, it's twitter and we post tweets.

That twitter per the respirators, Brett McGurk:

White House of George Bush:
Brett McGurk
Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Iraq and Afghanistan, National Security Council

Brett McGurk

Brett H. McGurk serves as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Iraq and Afghanistan, Strategic Planning and Policy Development. In his current role, Mr. McGurk is responsible for developing and overseeing the effective implementation of U.S. strategy in these two vital fronts of the Global War on Terrorism.

Mr. McGurk formerly served as Director for Iraq on the National Security Council, where he handled a broad policy portfolio and participated in the President's comprehensive strategic review in 2006, which led to the President's address to the nation on January 10, 2007, and the new strategy for Iraq now known as the surge.

He is a former Supreme Court law clerk, serving with the late Chief Justice Rehnquist on the Supreme Court's 2001-2002 Term.

More at:  https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/government/mcgurk-bio.html

"Brett McGurk is the consummate professional diplomat. He has served on the front lines across three administrations, and handled some of the most difficult assignments for me and President Bush in Iraq during the surge."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_McGurk

I'm not the biggest fan of McGurk, he is a controversial figure in his own light, still a Bush appointee and then, worked for Obama and indeed for Trump for a time.

Just to discount this? Amazing.  It's like we are just working with no information.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:47:23 pm by TomSea »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1819 on: March 16, 2020, 09:45:36 pm »

Next time you find it, by an extra gallon (plastic jug) and put it in the freezer.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1820 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:16 pm »
Next time you find it, by an extra gallon (plastic jug) and put it in the freezer.

Since you brought that up........  how does it do when you thaw it out?  I remember that my Mom used to freeze milk, but I don't remember how it tasted after she got it out..

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1821 on: March 16, 2020, 09:48:51 pm »
About that mandatory quarantine -- this was on my MSN newsfeed per CNN:

Trump says he's considering recommending quarantine for coronavirus 'hotspots'

President Donald Trump said Monday that the White House is evaluating whether to encourage isolation measures, such as a quarantine or curfew, in certain novel coronavirus "hotspots" around the country, but is not considering issuing those measures nationwide.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-hes-considering-recommending-quarantine-for-coronavirus-hotspots/ar-BB11gtNM?ocid=spartandhp

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1822 on: March 16, 2020, 09:50:38 pm »
Since you brought that up........  how does it do when you thaw it out?  I remember that my Mom used to freeze milk, but I don't remember how it tasted after she got it out..

Tastes just like milk.  But I only use it for cereal or making pancakes.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1823 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:18 pm »

Powdered milk is an alternative as well.  Not as tasty -- but it's still milk.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1824 on: March 16, 2020, 09:53:51 pm »
Someone who has spoken against Trump, said he voted 3rd party and not for Trump is now upset that a tweet by an experienced diplomat was posted and calling it a misrepresentation and some how taking it out of context? I don't buy it. And that's also with what would seem to be implied in the past, that one did not think Trump was conservative.

What is the exact quote taken out of context?

Hours earlier, Mr. Trump told a group of governors that they should not wait for the federal government to fill the growing demand for respirators needed to help people diagnosed with coronavirus.

“Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,” Mr. Trump told the governors during the conference call, a recording of which was shared with The New York Times.

“We will be backing you, but try getting it yourselves,” he said. “Point of sales, much better, much more direct if you can get it yourself.”

The suggestion surprised some of the governors, who have been scrambling to contain the outbreak and are increasingly looking to the federal government for help with equipment, personnel and financial aid.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/902682/trump-governors-try-getting-respirators-coronavirus-patients-yourselves