Author Topic: Christianity Today says it saw a spike in subscriptions after it called for Trump's removal  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/23/politics/christianity-today-mark-galli-trump-op-ed-trnd/index.html

(CNN)After it published an op-ed calling for President Donald Trump's removal for office, Christianity Today says it's seen a boost in readership.
Mark Galli, the editor-in-chief of the leading evangelical publication, made the remarks during an interview with the Rev. Al Sharpton on MSNBC on Sunday. 

The editorial, he said, divided readers -- but support outweighed criticism.
"Although we've lost hundreds of subscribers, we've gained three times as many subscribers," he told Sharpton.
Galli penned the condemnatory editorial for the magazine last week. In it, he criticized what he called Trump's "grossly immoral character" and urged evangelicals to stop supporting him.

"We believe the impeachment hearings have made it absolutely clear, in a way the Mueller investigation did not, that President Trump has abused his authority for personal gain and betrayed his constitutional oath," he wrote in the op-ed. "The impeachment hearings have illuminated the president's moral deficiencies for all to see."

more at link
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:39:34 pm by Cyber Liberty »

Offline PeteS in CA

Somebody :cool: posted about that, with the actual statement by Galli in video, almost a week ago:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,386688.msg2116506.html#msg2116506

Galli said that on Sharp Al's MSNBC show, https://www.msnbc.com/politicsnation/watch/-christianity-today-editor-doubles-down-on-calling-for-trump-s-removal-75564613550 , at the 3:30 point.

My guess is that when all the dust of cancellations, new subscriptions, and non-renewals settles, perhaps spring of 2021, the net reaction as reflected in subscriber numbers will be negative from CT's POV. As for advertisers ... that's more likely to follow the subscriber numbers, though I suppose there could be a few advertisers who cease advertising in CT.

Since then I've learned that Galli went full partisan some time ago, his comments quoted in https://www.christianpost.com/news/christianity-today-and-the-problem-with-christian-elitism.html :

“I know hardly anyone, let alone any evangelical Christian who voted for Trump. I describe evangelicals like me as ‘elite’ evangelicals … and this class of evangelicals has discovered that we have family members so different they seem like aliens in our midst. These other evangelicals often haven’t finished college, and if they have jobs (and apparently a lot of them don’t), they are blue-collar jobs or entry-level work. They don’t write books or give speeches; they don’t attend conferences of evangelicals for social justice or evangelicals for immigration reform. They are deeply suspicious of mainstream media. A lot of them voted for Donald Trump.”

The comment is from Still Evangelical-Insiders Reconsider Political, Social, and Theological Meaning, chapter 8. It would be interesting to see subscriptions data for CT from 2016 forward (whether it's publicly available, I don't know).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:41:50 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Somebody :cool: posted about that, with the actual statement by Galli in video, almost a week ago:

Since then I've learned that Galli went full partisan some time ago, his comments quoted in https://www.christianpost.com/news/christianity-today-and-the-problem-with-christian-elitism.html :

The comment is from Still Evangelical-Insiders Reconsider Political, Social, and Theological Meaning, chapter 8. It would be interesting to see subscriptions data for CT from 2016 forward (whether it's publicly available, I don't know).

@PeteS in CA   You beat me to it.   

Thanks for posting it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If this thread gets trolled into another theological war, I'm just going to delete it.  I don't need this brand of crap this morning.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
If this thread gets trolled into another theological war, I'm just going to delete it.  I don't need this brand of crap this morning.

:2popcorn:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Did a homeless person take a leak in your Corn flakes this morning?    :smokin:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Yeah.  The one that crashed the Forum this morning.  Again.   9999hair out0000
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

Well, if you admins  would pay the electric bill on time, these crashes wouldn't happen.   

Yes, I'm joking.   :tongue2:

Offline PeteS in CA

The server tossed its cookies and Cyber Liberty had to clean up.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, if you admins  would pay the electric bill on time, these crashes wouldn't happen.   

Yes, I'm joking.   :tongue2:

Maybe my Social Security check bounced?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Lol, I think I was the only one that was playing around last night about 3:30 - 4 Am...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Once the rule against religion was followed. No more, to the detrimentof the site IMO.

That starts atthe very top. Too bad.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Once the rule against religion was followed. No more, to the detrimentof the site IMO.

The "rule" was never as rigid, nor the circumstances as clear as you seem to think.  We are conservatives.  Much of our belief system is rooted in Biblical philosophy, so it's impossible (and undesirable) to exclude all references to "religious" discussion.
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

No one is bending over backwards to make you participate in this thread.  If you don't like the thread...just pass it by.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline libertybele

The "rule" was never as rigid, nor the circumstances as clear as you seem to think.  We are conservatives.  Much of our belief system is rooted in Biblical philosophy, so it's impossible (and undesirable) to exclude all references to "religious" discussion.

Exactly!  Amen.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

That's right.

Offline dfwgator

You want a "good Christian", go vote for Jimmy Carter.

Offline LegalAmerican

I don't believe that first comment.  Franklin Graham has not supported this magazines comment & said his dad would be disappointed. Billy supports president TRUMP.  Then Lou Dobbs, said it will be "not Christianity tomorrow". He and 200 other well known Christians wrote a letter to this, LIBERAL editor who is quitting this January. What an evil thing to do.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

Offline Applewood

I don't believe that first comment.  Franklin Graham has not supported this magazines comment & said his dad would be disappointed. Billy supports president TRUMP.  Then Lou Dobbs, said it will be "not Christianity tomorrow". He and 200 other well known Christians wrote a letter to this, LIBERAL editor who is quitting this January. What an evil thing to do.

What is so evil about an editor expressing an opinion?  As far as I know, we all still have the right to express our opinions about everyone and every thing, including the president. 

By the way, how do you know Mr. Galli is a liberal? 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
What is so evil about an editor expressing an opinion?  As far as I know, we all still have the right to express our opinions about everyone and every thing, including the president. 

@Applewood haven't you learned the 11th Commandment yet?  Thou shall not criticize Trump.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sounds about right. He has been known to have sex with women he wasn't married to ,and has the gall to not feel guilty or ashamed about it.

Were would organized religion be without guilt and shame?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You want a "good Christian", go vote for Jimmy Carter.

@dfwgator    :yowsa:

Or maybe Jimmy Swaggart,or Pat Robertson.

Not to mention the various "Rev-Runds" running around handing out spending money on election day.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 05:56:26 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

He may not be liberal, but he is most certainly incompetent in his civics as there is zero basis for his recommendation to back impeachment and removal as per the Constitution.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

He may not be liberal, but he is most certainly incompetent in his civics as there is zero basis for his recommendation to back impeachment and removal as per the Constitution.

@IsailedawayfromFR, I posted this in a thread of its own, but as I said there, it is an indicator of where Galli is coming from:

https://www.christianpost.com/news/christianity-today-and-the-problem-with-christian-elitism.html

Christianity Today and the problem with 'Christian elitism'

Christianity Today editor Mark Galli’s “lofty” op-ed last week calling for President Trump’s removal from office touched off a firestorm of criticism and dissent from scores of evangelical leaders, and the backlash and debate have reached “critical mass” since its publication. Meanwhile, secular media immediately seized upon the CT editorial to argue that evangelical support for the president was finally crumbling under the weight of impeachment by the House of Representatives.
What was the spirit animating CT editor Galli’s “thunderbolt” from on high? The answer is likely found in the self-appointed Mount Olympus from which Mr. Galli made his “moral” pronouncement. After Trump’s election, Mr. Galli bluntly confessed:

I know hardly anyone, let alone any evangelical Christian who voted for Trump. I describe evangelicals like me as ‘elite’ evangelicals … and this class of evangelicals has discovered that we have family members so different they seem like aliens in our midst. These other evangelicals often haven’t finished college, and if they have jobs (and apparently a lot of them don’t), they are blue-collar jobs or entry-level work. They don’t write books or give speeches; they don’t attend conferences of evangelicals for social justice or evangelicals for immigration reform. They are deeply suspicious of mainstream media. A lot of them voted for Donald Trump.

These words are chillingly similar to former President Barack Obama’s description of rural voters who “cling to their guns and Bibles,” former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s characterization of Trump supporters as “deplorables,” and most recently, Beto O’Rourke’s smug threats against biblically orthodox churches and citizens who own a certain type of rifle. These are the words of elitists who look down upon opponents as inferior human beings who need to be controlled, not debated.

That is the toxic emotional and spiritual stew in which the attitude animating Galli’s editorial festered into life.

Galli may not be and AOC-grade raving Prog, but his elitism, how he expressed it, and his targets set him well left of center.