Author Topic: Is Pete Buttigieg the Next Emmanuel Macron?  (Read 385 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Is Pete Buttigieg the Next Emmanuel Macron?
« on: December 19, 2019, 06:01:36 pm »

Washington And The World
Is Pete Buttigieg the Next Emmanuel Macron?
They’re both young, brainy, global in their thinking and determined to thwart Donald Trump.

When Emmanuel Macron goes head-to-head with Donald Trump, as he did at a December NATO news conference, it’s a study in contrasts.

The French president is young, intellectual and polite. Audacious but smooth, Macron projects the sense that he always planned to be president. Trump is his opposite: crude, unfiltered, down to earth. With an unmatched sense of his opponent’s weaknesses, Trump amplifies his gut-punch messaging via an online army of loyal supporters.

The Trump-Macron encounters have, over the years, created a viral energy—think of that 2017 bone-crushing handshake in which neither one was willing to release his grip—that has intrigued many Trump critics. Some Democrats who yearn to pit a young, charismatic globalist against a staunch American nationalist might wonder whether the party has a Macron of its own in Pete Buttigieg.

Read more at: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2019/12/17/pete-buttigieg-next-emmanuel-macron-084770

Separated at birth?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:02:41 pm by TomSea »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Is Pete Buttigieg the Next Emmanuel Macron?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 01:58:34 am »
He reminds me more of a different Emmanuel, just a different shade

Hey Webster!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 06:06:39 am »
The former mayor will not be a finalist.  America just will not knowingly elect anyone gay to be POTUS in 2020.  I can't speak for the 2040 election, but this nation is not ready for that kind of leadership.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 01:54:03 pm »
I think Buttigieg has the potential to take the Dem nomination, and agree with the comparison to Macron.   Macron's rise as an independent alternative appealing to the "establishment" was swift. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 08:56:42 pm »
I think Buttigieg has the potential to take the Dem nomination, and agree with the comparison to Macron.   Macron's rise as an independent alternative appealing to the "establishment" was swift.

I don't think he has much of a chance.  There is significant resistance to gays among black voters, and I think him being male will hurt him with some female voters.  Just don't see him being able to overcome both of those things.  Biden's still in this because of strong support among black voters, and if Biden holds on to the black vote, and the left goes with other candidates...that leaves only moderate whites as Buttigieg's target demographic.  And there just aren't that many of those left in the Democrat party.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 08:58:17 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 09:27:04 pm »
The former mayor will not be a finalist.  America just will not knowingly elect anyone gay to be POTUS in 2020.  I can't speak for the 2040 election, but this nation is not ready for that kind of leadership.

Agreed. But if people didn't know he was gay...that could be a different story. I'll never vote for any Dem...but he speaks well.