Author Topic: Beshear overcomes Trump effect to beat Bevin to become next KY governor  (Read 835 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.lex18.com/news/decision-2019/beshear-overcomes-trump-effect-to-beat-bevin-to-become-next-ky-governor

Bevin, a Republican who has polled consistently as among the least popular governors in the nation, highlighted his anti-abortion rights agenda and close ties with President Donald Trump. He switched his lieutenant governor running mate this time out to Ralph Alvardo.

John Hicks and Ann Cormican ran a long-shot race on the Libertarian Party ticket.

On Tuesday after casting his ballot, Bevin said he was feeling good and confident.

“I thought we’d win by 6 to 10 [percentage points]. I still feel very confident in that," he said. "I’d like it to be more like 10 to 12. We’ll see.”

Trump and Vice President Mike Pence made high-profile visits in the final week before the election, including an election eve rally by Trump in downtown Lexington at Rupp Arena.

While Bevin basked in the attention and personal visits from Trump and Pence, Beshear worked to shore up votes and keep voters looking at local issues, including his support for expanded gambling in the state.

more at link

Trump yesterday: “You've got to vote because if you lose, it sends a really bad message, just sends a bad --and they will build it up. Here's the story . . . if you lose, they're going to say Trump suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world.”
ETTD

Matt Bevin@MattBevin
8h
Kentucky voters will send a LOUD & CLEAR message to America tonight that, regardless of our voter registration, we overwhelmingly love our country and our Constitution and our military and our law enforcement and our flag and we stand proudly with our @POTUS
 who loves America

Allahpundit @allahpundit
1h
Kentucky race isn’t official until Trump tweets something critical of Bevin

MiaMarie @WahcaMia
1h
Kentucky read the transcript!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Beshear overcomes Trump effect to beat Bevin to become next KY governor
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:12:03 am »
McConnell has nothing to worry about.

Beshear needs to put away the tape measure .... this is going to a recount.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:17:31 am »
I almost forgot...Great rally Mr President ! :patriot: :hands:

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 03:19:40 am »
I almost forgot...Great rally Mr President ! :patriot: :hands:

On this we agree.  POTUS dragged Bevin's (obviously) sorry arse from 17 points behind to a recount.

Not too shabby for one night's work, Mr. President!  Well done!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 03:20:43 am »
Recounts only work for Democrats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 03:30:43 am »
Recounts only work for Democrats.

Too late to switch parties in Kentucky?   :laugh:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 03:35:44 am »
Too late to switch parties in Kentucky?   :laugh:

Not sure what's funny about that.  A candidate that Trump dished out money to defeat in 2014  just lost a re-election bid with Trump's support.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 03:48:54 am »
Not sure what's funny about that.  A candidate that Trump dished out money to defeat in 2014  just lost a re-election bid with Trump's support.

Because I'm a realist @Hoodat  By all accounts, Bevin was a superbly flawed candidate --- and he has the responsibility here.  But, as I posted earlier, POTUS dragged Bevin from 17 points behind to a recount ... not bad for one night's work. It's also my understanding that the statehouse is red so, if true, that's a natural and powerful firewall against most of the damage Breshear could cause.

Looking at recent history, only two of the last ten governors in Kentucky have been Republican. So it's not a shock that a dem will probably win this election.  Especially since prior to Matt Bevin, Andy Breshear’s father, Steve Breshear, was Governor.  (Yeah, daddy   wink777)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governors_of_Kentucky

Peace.   :beer:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 03:52:23 am »
Because I'm a realist @Hoodat  By all accounts, Bevin was a superbly flawed candidate --- and he has the responsibility here.

Ah, so it has nothing to do with "conscience voters".  Glad we cleared that up.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 05:37:46 am »
On this we agree.  POTUS dragged Bevin's (obviously) sorry arse from 17 points behind to a recount.

Not too shabby for one night's work, Mr. President!  Well done!

:patriot: Tomorrow I'm gonna buy some bourbon and a big bucket of KFC, sit in my comfy chair, and read Trump's tweets in celebration of yet another Trump victory.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2019/governor/ky/kentucky_governor_bevin_vs_beshear-6723.html

17 points? :pondering:

Daniel Dale @ddale8

11:37 PM: Bevin had been down at least 15 points
11:41 PM: Bevin had been down 17 points
12:15 AM: Bevin might’ve been down 20 points

Going to bed, very excited to see what Bevin was down when I wake up

Bevin wasn’t even going to vote for himself before Trump intervened
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 07:25:19 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 06:17:22 am »
Because I'm a realist @Hoodat  By all accounts, Bevin was a superbly flawed candidate --- and he has the responsibility here.  But, as I posted earlier, POTUS dragged Bevin from 17 points behind to a recount ... not bad for one night's work. It's also my understanding that the statehouse is red so, if true, that's a natural and powerful firewall against most of the damage Breshear could cause.

Looking at recent history, only two of the last ten governors in Kentucky have been Republican. So it's not a shock that a dem will probably win this election.  Especially since prior to Matt Bevin, Andy Breshear’s father, Steve Breshear, was Governor.  (Yeah, daddy   wink777)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governors_of_Kentucky

Peace.   :beer:

LOL!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 06:45:14 am »
For some strange reason, some of the responses on this thread are making me hungry for pretzels.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 09:40:50 am »
Because I'm a realist @Hoodat  By all accounts, Bevin was a superbly flawed candidate --- and he has the responsibility here. 

Just wow, where have I heard that before....
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 02:07:39 pm »
@Sighlass @Chosen Daughter

<snip>

Bevin seems to have lost for three reasons:

One as the Washington Post notes, he only got into office four years ago by a thin 85,000-vote margin. So he was on thin ice all through his term and didn't work to increase his support.

Two, he had a third party challenge. Sen. Rand Paul is a popular Senator in Kentucky and on that ground alone, his libertarian allies managed to run a third-party candidate that won 2% of the vote. Had they not, Bevin might have pulled through.

Three, and this seems to have been the big one: Bevin wasn't popular. A poll that ran in April had him ranked as the least popular governor in all 50 states. [...]  Bottom line, he shouldn't have been the candidate.

Now, for sure, the Democrats are going to be emboldened in their impeach-Trump and retake Congress and the White House plan by this incident. That's going to give them energy, which isn't a good thing.

But it seems to be an isolated incident, given that most candidates endorsed by Trump have run away with victory. In Mississippi, Republicans won by a large margin. In Kentucky, Republicans made gains, too, and it was only the Republican governor who lost.

According to the WaPo, the Republicans picked up the state Attorney General's seat, finding a good candidate in a black conservative. The mistake was in running Bevin. A Trump endorsement is a mighty thing, but it can't do a thing for a weak candidate.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/11/message_from_kentucky_strong_candidates_matter.html

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 02:14:49 pm »
For some strange reason, some of the responses on this thread are making me hungry for pretzels.
Those pretzels will make you thirsty, though...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Idiot

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 02:31:01 pm »
Those pretzels will make you thirsty, though...
lololololololol….good one!

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 03:00:53 pm »
@Hoodat
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty

Last night, I heard their Kentucky Secretary of State, whose Election Division is responsible for state elections.  Their recount policy is like Texas except for one difference. 
1.  Their automatic recount is like ours.  After the election, in every county, the election administrator must certify their count, meaning there were no irregularities in the count. That report is sent to the Secretary of State, Elections Division.

2. She said if the candidate who lost wants a recount of the totals, it will be done.  I suspect the candidate will have to pay for that recount since she did not say it would be free to that candidate.   

3. Texas is different than number 2 above.  We have a set number of the difference between the candidates, and if the count is that close, an automatic recount starts, neither candidate paying for it.  If the difference in the count is not within that number, the candidate can ask for a recount but will have to pay for it.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 03:11:57 pm »
@Hoodat
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty

Last night, I heard their Kentucky Secretary of State, whose Election Division is responsible for state elections.  Their recount policy is like Texas except for one difference. 
1.  Their automatic recount is like ours.  After the election, in every county, the election administrator must certify their count, meaning there were no irregularities in the count. That report is sent to the Secretary of State, Elections Division.

2. She said if the candidate who lost wants a recount of the totals, it will be done.  I suspect the candidate will have to pay for that recount since she did not say it would be free to that candidate.   

3. Texas is different than number 2 above.  We have a set number of the difference between the candidates, and if the count is that close, an automatic recount starts, neither candidate paying for it.  If the difference in the count is not within that number, the candidate can ask for a recount but will have to pay for it.

Bottom line:  No auto-recount, even if the vote difference is <0.3%.

It doesn't matter.  Recounts always go Dem once they figured out they can rig it to always win.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 04:08:53 pm »
As the old saying goes, "a few more victories like this and we will be undone!" https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/KY/97213/web/#/summary . Other than Beshear-Bevin it was a Dem debacle. And Beshear's margin over Bevin was ~5K, pretty slim.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:30:56 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 04:25:46 pm »
As the old saying goes, a few more "victories like this and we will be undone! https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/KY/97213/web/#/summary . Other than Beshear-Bevin it was a Dem debacle. And Beshear's margin over Bevin was ~5K, pretty slim.

You can still count on the Nevers being in full gloat today. rrthree
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 04:26:07 pm »
As the old saying goes, a few more "victories like this and we will be undone! https://results.enr.clarityelections.com/KY/97213/web/#/summary . Other than Beshear-Bevin it was a Dem debacle. And Beshear's margin over Bevin was ~5K, pretty slim.
And even Beshear failed to get a majority.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 04:28:37 pm »
President Trump pulled Bevin up from a sorry 32% to a competitive 49%. Close but no cigar, thanks to the spoiler libertarian party candidate, as the esteemed RIV noted.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 04:49:38 pm »
President Trump pulled Bevin up from a sorry 32% to a competitive 49%. Close but no cigar, thanks to the spoiler libertarian party candidate, as the esteemed RIV noted.

I'm not finding any poll with Bevin at 32%.  This poll from last June showed him at 48%:  https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2019/Gravis_Kentucky_June_2019.pdf

At what point did Trump begin to openly support him?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 05:22:47 pm »
He could pull a Stacey Abrarams..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.