Author Topic: WS Game Seven: One for the road. And, the ages.  (Read 2451 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
WS Game Seven: One for the road. And, the ages.
« on: October 31, 2019, 05:54:50 pm »
The road-rat Nats make it "Washington---First in war, first in peace, and first in Show."
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/10/31/one-for-the-road-and-the-ages/

The road was anything but lonesome for the Nationals this World Series.

From early in the season, when Nationals were left for dead, and their manager left for death row, gallows humour often salved. So has it done though a lot of the now-concluded World Series. Such humour didn’t exactly hurt after their stupefying Game Six win in Houston, either.

Nats catcher Kurt Suzuki, himself hoping for a Game Seven return appearance after an absence due to a hip issue, couldn’t resist, after Max Scherzer showed up alive and throwing Tuesday. “We were all kind of making fun of him,” Suzuki told an interviewer, “saying he was going to rise from the dead.”

You could say that about the Nats themselves. They’ve been rising from the dead since the regular season ended, too. They won the World Series, beating the Astros 6-2 in Game Seven, rising from the dead, too. Inspired in large part by a pitcher who looked for most of his five innings’ work as though his ghost was on the mound clanking in chains.

And, with neither team able to win at home this time around. For the first time in the history of any major team sport whose championship is chosen in a best-of-seven set. The Nats and the Astros burglarised each other’s houses and left nothing behind, not even an old, tarnished butter knife in the silverware drawer. And the Astros’ hard-earned home field advantage proved the Nats’ road to the Promised Land.

Unearth Canned Heat warbling “On the Road Again,” from the opening tamboura drone to the final harmonics and all harmonica-weeping points in between. Crank up the Doors swinging “Roadhouse Blues.” Pay particular attention to the closing couplet: The future’s uncertain/the end is always near.

For five innings Wednesday night the Nats’ future was as uncertain as the Astros’ end was as near and clear as a 2-0 lead could make it. And try to figure out just how Scherzer with less than nothing other than his sheer will kept it 2-0 while getting his . . .

No. Not Houdini, for all his Game Seven escape acts. Scherzer wasn’t even a brief impersonation of Max the Knife, but after Wednesday he ought to think about a stand in Las Vegas. He’d make Penn & Teller resemble a pair of street hustlers. David Copperfield’s a mere practical joker next to this.

“You can’t really call it a miracle,” said Nats right fielder Adam Eaton post-game, “but it will be a reality-TV movie. Come on, how many books are going to be written about this?” Let’s see . . . Bluff, The Magic Dragons? 20,000 Leagues Under Belief? Four Innings Before the Mast? The Nats in the Hat Come Back?

Making baseball’s best team on the year take a long walk into winter has all the simplicity of quantum physics. Doing it when you send a pitcher to the Game Seven mound with nothing but his stubborn will is only slightly less complex.

“I don’t think anybody really knew what to expect when he took the ball,” said Nats reliever Sean Doolittle after the game. “After what he went through with his neck, you don’t know how that’s going to hold up with his violent delivery. You don’t know what his stamina is going to be like. But with Max, we’ve come to expect the unexpected. It was gutsy, man . . . He willed us to stay in the game and that was awesome. I know guys fed off it.”

But on a night Astros starter Zack Greinke operated like a disciple of legendary Texas cardiovascular surgeon Michael DeBakey with the Nats practically on life support, that could have been fatal. Until Patrick Corbin, Anthony Rendon, Howie Kendrick, Juan Soto, Daniel Hudson, and—reality check, folks—the lack of Gerrit Cole made sure it wasn’t.

Scherzer pulled rabbits out of his hat and anyplace else he could find them and was almost lucky that only two of the hares treated him like Elmer Fudd. Astros first baseman Yuli Gurriel sent a 2-1 slider with as much slide as a piece of sandpaper into the Crawford Boxes in the bottom of the second, and Carlos Correa whacked an RBI single off Anthony Rendon’s glove at third in the bottom of the fifth.

Nats manager Dave Martinez called for a review on that play, ostensibly to determine whether Yordan Alverez’s foot was actually off the pad when tagged after he rounded but was held at third on the play, but realistically to give Corbin a little more warmup time. Then Corbin went to work starting in the bottom of the sixth. And the Nats went to work in earnest in the top of the seventh.

With one out and Greinke still looking like a smooth operator, Rendon caught hold of a changeup reaching toward the floor of the strike zone and drove it midway up the Crawford Boxes. One walk to Soto later, Greinke was out of the game and Will Harris was in. With Cole—who’d paralysed the Nats in Game Five, and who was seen stirring in the Astro bullpen a little earlier Wednesday night—not even a topic.

For which the Astros’ usually clever, always sensitively intelligent manager A.J. Hinch is liable to be second guessed until the end of time or another Astros lease on the Promised Land, whichever comes first. If he thought Greinke at a measly eighty pitches was done, why not reach for Cole who’d hammerlocked the Nats in Game Five and probably had an inning or three in his tank?

“I wasn’t going to pitch him unless we were going to win the World Series and have a lead,” Hinch said matter-of-factly after the game. “He was going to help us win. He was available, and I felt it was a game that he was going to come in had we tied it or taken the lead. He was going to close the game in the ninth after I brought [Roberto] Osuna in had we kept the lead.”

“They got a good lineup, especially the top of the order,” Greinke himself said. “It’s tough to get through no matter one time, two times, three times. All of them are tough. Really good hitters up there.”

Except that Hinch still had a 2-1 lead when he thanked Greinke for a splendid night’s work.”He was absolutely incredible . . . he did everything we could ask for and more,” said Hinch when it was all over. “He was in complete control, he made very few mistakes, in the end the home run to walk was the only threat to him.”

You can bet that even the Nats thought Hinch would reach for Cole in that moment. It’s the Casey Stengel principle, as his biographer Robert W. Creamer once described: if you have an opening, shove with your shoulder. If you think your man is done but you still need a stopper, you reach for him like five minutes ago.

And in one or two corners of the Nats dugout the thought of Cole coming in was actually welcome. “When we saw Cole warming up,” coach Kevin Long told reporters after the game, “we were almost like, ‘Please bring him in.’ Because that’s how good Zack Greinke was.”

But Harris it was. He was one of the Astros’ most reliable bullpen bulls on the season, and he’d been mostly likewise through this postseason. But after swinging and missing on a curvaceous enough curve ball, Kendrick found the screws on a cutter off the middle and sent it the other way, down the right field line, and ringing off the foul pole with a bonk! that no one sitting in Minute Maid Park is liable to forget for ages yet to come.

“I made a pretty good pitch,” Harris said after the game. “He made a championship play for a championship team.”

“The pitch he made to Howie—I just don’t understand how he hit that out,” said Carlos Correa, the only Astro somehow to have a base hit with a runner on second or better Wednesday night. “It doesn’t add up. The way he throws his cutter, it’s one of the nastiest cutters in the game. Down and away, on the black, and he hits it off the foul pole. It was meant to be, I guess, for them. I thought we played great, but they played better. It was their year.”

Osuna relieved Harris and settled the Nats after surrendering an almost immediate base hit to Nats second baseman Asdrubal Cabrera, but he wouldn’t be that fortunate in the eighth. He walked Eaton with one out, but Eaton stole second with Rendon at the plate and, after Rendon flied out, Soto pulled a line single to right to send Eaton home.

Ryan Pressly ended the inning by getting a line drive out from Cabrera, but another Astro reliever, Joe Smith, wouldn’t be that fortunate in the ninth. Ryan Zimmerman led off with a single up the pipe; Yan Gomes bounced one back to the box enabling Smith to get Zimmerman but not the double play; Victor Robles stroked a soft-punch line single into center; and, Trea Turner fought his way to a walk and ducks on the pond.

Hinch reached for Jose Urquidy, his Game Four opener and five-inning virtuoso back in Washington. But Eaton reached for and lined a hit into shallow enough center with Gomes scoring in a flash and Robles coming in behind him, freed up when Astro center fielder Jake Marisnick, usually one of the surest defensive hands they have, lost the handle on the ball and gave Robles room to move.

And, giving Hudson all the room he needed to pop George Springer out at second and to strike Jose Altuve and Michael Brantley out swinging to pop the corks and blow the lid off 95 years worth of Washington baseball frustration. Which looked impossible in late May, looked improbable just last weekend, but looks just as impossible the morning after.

Believing that Rendon could become only the fifth man to homer in Games Six and Seven of the same Series (behind Hall of Famers Mickey Mantle and Roberto Clemente, plus Allen Craig and—a mere two years ago—Springer himself) was more plausible. Believing Harris could become the first pitcher hung with a blown save in a Game Seven at home since Boston’s Roger Moret in 1975 wasn’t, necessarily.

But believing no World Series combatant would win even a single game at home in a seven game set defies everything. The Nats outscored the Astros 30-11 in Minute Maid Park; the Astros out-scored the Nats 19-3 in Nationals Park. The Astros played their heads, hearts, and tails off all year long to get the postseason’s home field advantage, and the Nats swooped in to rob them blind.

All game long the world seemed to think Martinez had lost his marble—singular—letting Scherzer stay on the mound despite have nothing to challenge the Astros with except meatballs, snowballs, and grapefruits. The skipper who eluded execution after 23 May now looked as though they’d pull the guillotine with his name on it back out of storage. Then the final three innings made him look like Alfred Hitchcock.

That 19-31 start to the Nats’ season? The worst for any team that went on to win that year’s World Series. From twelve under .500 to the Promised Land? You have company, now, 1914 Miracle Braves. An 8-1 postseason road record including eight straight road wins en route the trophy? Good morning, 1996 Yankees.

The first number one draft overall to end his season as the World Series MVP? Welcome to the party, Stephen Strasburg. The sixth man to hit a go-ahead homer in the seventh or later in a World Series? Roger Peckinpaugh, Hal Smith, Bill Mazeroski, Ray Knight, and Alfonso Soriano, meet Howie Kendrick, who’s now the only man in postseason history with more than one go-ahead homer in the seventh or later in elimination games.

The youngest man to hit the most homers in a single postseason and three in a single World Series? Today you are a man, Juan Soto.

All that courtesy of MLB.com and ESPN’s Stats and Info department. They give you the numbers. But they can’t really account for that old Nats magic. Nobody can, try though they might. The Nats just hope this isn’t the end of it. Which might be tricky if the Nats can’t convince Anthony Rendon to stay rather than play the free agency market or Strasburg not to exercise his contract’s opt-out option.

Cole is also a pending free agent. And he plopped a postgame cap on his head bearing the logo of his agent Scott Boras’s operation. When an Astro spokesman asked him to talk to reporters after the game, he was heard saying, “I’m not an employee of the team.” Then, he said he’d talk “as a representative of myself, I guess.”

Liable to be this year’s American League Cy Young Award winner, and facing maybe the fattest payday ever handed to a prime pitcher, Cole wouldn’t say if the Astros losing the World Series prompted him to declare his free agency that swiftly, that emphatically. He wouldn’t say whether he was mad that Hinch didn’t bring him in.

“We just went over the game plan and he laid out the most advantageous times to use me,” Cole told reporters. “And we didn’t get to that position.”

For Altuve, arguably the heart and soul of the Astros on the field and in the clubhouse alike, the heartbreak was impossible to hide. “I don’t think I can handle this,” he said candidly. “It’s really hard to lose Game Seven of the World Series. What I can tell you is we did everything we could . . . We did everything to make it happen. We couldn’t, but that’s baseball.”

Sometimes it’s even harder to win Game Seven. That’s baseball, too. The Nats stand in the Promised Land as living, breathing, “Washington—First in war, first in peace, and first in Show” proof.
-----------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:11:00 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: WS Game Seven: One for the road. And, the ages.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 05:57:18 pm »
So, the Montreal Nationals win. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:00:05 pm »
Great article @EasyAce

Now that baseball season is over, do you cover any other sports?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 06:00:55 pm »
So, the Montreal Nationals win.
@Sanguine
Just like the Baltimore Orioles of New York, the Boston Braves of Milwaukee, the Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles, the St. Louis Browns of Baltimore, the Philadelphia Athletics of Oakland via Kansas City, the Washington Senators of Minnesota, the Milwaukee Braves of Atlanta, and the New York Giants of San Francisco. (The Seattle Pilots of Milwaukee, of course, have yet to reach the Promised Land.)

wink777
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:04:13 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 06:02:06 pm »
Great article @EasyAce

Now that baseball season is over, do you cover any other sports?
@Gefn
I'm afraid not. Baseball is the only sport I've ever really loved. Besides, there's the second-most fun for a baseball fan now underway . . . the hot stove season!  wink777

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 06:03:28 pm »
@Sanguine
Just like the Baltimore Orioles of New York, the Boston Braves of Milwaukee, the Brooklyn Dodgers of Los Angeles, the St. Louis Browns of Baltimore, the Philadelphia Athletics of Oakland via Kansas City, the Washington Senators of Minnesota, the Milwaukee Braves of Atlanta, and the New York Giants of San Francisco.

wink777

No, not at all.  They were playing against the Astros.   :laugh:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 06:04:37 pm »
A.J. Hinch blew this one with a lot of help from lifeless Astro bats when the scoring opportunities were there.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 06:09:11 pm »
A.J. Hinch blew this one with a lot of help from lifeless Astro bats when the scoring opportunities were there.
@Bigun
I'd say the lifeless bats were far more responsible.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 06:11:17 pm »
@Bigun
I'd say the lifeless bats were far more responsible.

@EasyAce You can say whatever you like.  I've said my piece and stand by it.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 06:20:44 pm »
I think Hinch pulled Greinke early.

What a series!
One of the best I've seen.
Down to the last 3 innings of game 7.

Astros will be back again and soon (I hope so, anyway).
Vegas likes 'em already.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 06:21:06 pm »
@EasyAce You can say whatever you like.  I've said my piece and stand by it.
@Bigun

Well, they had second and third after the Gurriel homer . . . and stranded them.

They had first and second and one out in the third and the fourth . . . and stranded them.

They still had first and third after Correa's RBI single in the fifth . . . and stranded them.

That's five men in scoring position they didn't cash in against a pitcher who was the next best thing to a batting practise pitcher while he was still in the game, after they were absolute punishers all year long when the opposition pitching was that damaged.

I think Hinch should have gone to Cole if he didn't want to continue with Greinke, too, but wasting five potential runs in the game's first five innings was probably more damaging.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 06:24:16 pm »
@Bigun

Well, they had second and third after the Gurriel homer . . . and stranded them.

They had first and second and one out in the third and the fourth . . . and stranded them.

They still had first and third after Correa's RBI single in the fifth . . . and stranded them.

That's five men in scoring position they didn't cash in against a pitcher who was the next best thing to a batting practise pitcher while he was still in the game, after they were absolute punishers all year long when the opposition pitching was that damaged.

I think Hinch should have gone to Cole if he didn't want to continue with Greinke, too, but wasting five potential runs in the game's first five innings was probably more damaging.

Can't argue with that.  Still pissed that he yanked Greinke when he did.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 06:26:51 pm »
I think Hinch pulled Greinke early.

What a series!
One of the best I've seen.
Down to the last 3 innings of game 7.

Astros will be back again and soon (I hope so, anyway).
Vegas likes 'em already.
@GrouchoTex

They're not going anywhere just yet. Even if Cole says adios, they'll still have most of what's gotten them there and they have a genius for finding new pieces to augment them. As I write they're 4-1 favourites to win next year's World Series. Now, I'm not a clairvoyant or that much of a betting man (penny slot machines are my limit!), and I know realistically that Berra's Law is inviolable, but any team that has the Vegas books calling them 4-1 World Series favourites the morning after a World Series loss has to be as solid as a diamond.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 07:16:05 pm »

Great pitching beats great hitting....every time.

But removing Greinke after walking Soto was insane.  80 pitches with there being 'no tomorrow'??
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 07:17:11 pm »
The Nationals outscored the opposition in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings...... 19-0
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 07:26:36 pm »
@GrouchoTex

They're not going anywhere just yet. Even if Cole says adios, they'll still have most of what's gotten them there and they have a genius for finding new pieces to augment them. As I write they're 4-1 favourites to win next year's World Series. Now, I'm not a clairvoyant or that much of a betting man (penny slot machines are my limit!), and I know realistically that Berra's Law is inviolable, but any team that has the Vegas books calling them 4-1 World Series favourites the morning after a World Series loss has to be as solid as a diamond.

The house always wins (or wins enough to still be "the house").
That's why there is a house.
I rarely gamble, 25 cent poker machines about every decade or so.
So if "the house" makes the Astros the favorite, less than 24 hours after the last out, who am I to argue?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 07:30:53 pm »
That's why there is a house.
I rarely gamble, 25 cent poker machines about every decade or so.
So if "the house" makes the Astros the favorite, less than 24 hours after the last out, who am I to argue?

According to ESPN.... The ASTROS are favored to get to the World Series again for 2020.

The NATS are 14 to 1 to do it!!   

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 07:33:03 pm »
Actually, you could say in this World Series that the house always lost.  wink777

. . . if "the house" makes the Astros the favorite, less than 24 hours after the last out, who am I to argue?
My guess is they get to the 2020 postseason easily. After that, Berra's Law.  wink777

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 07:33:40 pm »
According to ESPN.... The ASTROS are favored to get to the World Series again for 2020.

@DCPatriot
And it's not as though the Nats suddenly have no experience beating the odds.  wink777

Offline musiclady

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 08:33:12 pm »

As a dispassionate observer, I have to ask why in the world he pulled Greinke when he was pitching such an amazing game?  :shrug:

I've never seen a better fielding pitcher in my life.

That said, my assessment is that the Nationals WON this game, and this series rather than the Astros losing it.

Great game!  Great series!  No dog in the hunt and former Cleveland Indians on both sides.

I loved watching.

(And my thanks to @EasyAce for the fine work again this baseball season.  I haven't participated much for various reasons, but I appreciated the articles nonetheless!  888high58888)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2019, 08:34:17 pm »

Congrats on your team's victory, @DCPatriot !

Fun in DC today??  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:19 pm »
As a dispassionate observer, I have to ask why in the world he pulled Greinke when he was pitching such an amazing game?  :shrug:

I've never seen a better fielding pitcher in my life.
@musiclady

The bigger question is why he didn't bring in Gerrit Cole. If the Nats were beginning to figure Greinke out---and a home run plus a walk says they were---you need a stopper right then and there to keep the game close. Cole beat the Nats in Game Five and even the Nats themselves figured they'd see Cole some time in Game Seven. Hinch said he wanted Cole to lock the game down if the Astros took lead to the ninth . . . but it seems to me that just clinging to a one-run lead when the other guys are getting ornery calls for a stopper right there. I get Hinch trusting Harris, who was really his best relief pitcher this year, but in a winner-take-all game Cole was his best option in that moment.

And maybe Cole turns out to be human, too, if he's brought in; maybe the Nats remember how to work him as they did in Game One. Maybe. If it's better to lift a pitcher a shade too soon than a shade too late, then lifting Greinke wasn't half as egregious as leaving Cole in the bullpen. There's no absolute guarantee that Cole would have kept the Nats off the board any further if he'd relieved Greinke in that spot---the best pitchers on the planet have been beheaded in games like that---but the Astros would have that much better a chance to hang in and win the game if he had.

And, I'd repeat, the far bigger question is why the Astros' bats went limp other than two runs against a Max Scherzer who had nothing substantial to throw to the plate Wednesday night. Yes, he's Max Scherzer, and yes he's as iron-willed as any player in the game, but he was just too vulnerable despite his will and the Astros normally punished vulnerable pitchers all year long. You might understand Alex Bregman playing with a too-heavy heart, since he'd lost his grandfather and had the double misfortune of having to be the one to inform his ailing mother before the game, but how these Astros found no way other than a solo home run and an RBI single to puncture Scherzer may yet prove one of the great unsolved questions of this Series.

(And my thanks to @EasyAce for the fine work again this baseball season.  I haven't participated much for various reasons, but I appreciated the articles nonetheless!  888high58888)
(You're welcome!)

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2019, 08:56:21 pm »
Congrats on your team's victory, @DCPatriot !

Fun in DC today??  happy77

:beer:

It's surreal.    Haven't come down yet.    :laugh:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 09:52:27 pm »
https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/10/nary-a-man-is-now-alive.php

When the Washington Nationals made it to the World Series, I wrote that hardly a man is now alive who remembers the last time a Washington baseball team got that far. The year was 1933.

Now, the Nationals have won the World Series. I suspect that nary a man is no alive who remembers the last time Washington experienced ultimate success in the sport. The year was 1924.

Like this year’s Series the one in 1924 went seven games. In the finale, Walter Johnson, who had lost two games as a starter, pitched four innings of relief and got the win.

"Big Train" was one of the first group of Hall of Famers. Johnson was a superstar pitcher on a perennially mediocre team. 1924 was late in his career.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2019, 10:30:42 pm »
This remains the highlight of the series in my mind.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington