Author Topic: House approves Trump impeachment procedures  (Read 649 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House approves Trump impeachment procedures
« on: October 31, 2019, 03:48:40 pm »
House approves Trump impeachment procedures
By Cristina Marcos - 10/31/19 11:29 AM EDT

The House on Thursday took its first major step toward making Donald Trump just the third president in history to be impeached, approving procedures for an inquiry likely to burst into full public view in weeks.

The measure, which establishes rules for open hearings and the questioning of witnesses by members and staff, passed in a 232-196 party-line vote with just two Democrats voting against it and no Republicans supporting it.

The Democrats who voted no were Reps. Collin Peterson (Minn.) and Jefferson Van Drew (N.J.), who both represent districts won by Trump in the 2016 election.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/468317-house-approves-trump-impeachment-procedures
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: House approves Trump impeachment procedures
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 03:50:09 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 03:51:01 pm »
Two House Democrats break with party on impeachment vote

Moderate Reps. Collin Peterson (Minn.) and Jeff Van Drew (N.J.), who represent swing districts Trump won in 2016, opted against the measure, which passed 232-196.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/468325-two-house-democrats-break-with-party-on-impeachment-vote
Support the USO

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 04:05:54 pm »
I'm sure those two had permission from Mrs. Botox.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 04:27:53 pm »
A party-line vote to "legitimize" Schiff's kangaroo court.   The votes to consider impeachment of Presidents Nixon and Clinton both earned significant bipartisan support.   

This is partisan political theater, not a serious attempt to carry out the House's responsibility.   I hope House Republicans will test Schiff time and again and make him exercise his "discretion" to deny witnesses favorable to the accused and limit questioning by the President's defenders.    The task with political theater is to write a rousing second act.   Let's expose this sham,  just as the Deltas did with Dean Wormer.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:30:13 pm »
So there is still no legitimate impeachment inquiry authorized in the house.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 04:32:36 pm »
Does this Hill article bother to report that these 'rules' stipulate Nadler can change them later at his own whim, or that none of the evidence so far developed is subject to them retroactively, in other words, won't be subject to due process until they come before the committee, at which time they can be vetoed by a partisan chairman?

Offline conservativevoter

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 04:37:39 pm »
How do they think this would carry with the voters?  Really. 

Questioning not allowed by the defense, with no attorneys to represent them in any way.  It is such a waste of the voter's tax money,  I can NOT view the Supreme Court allowing this, should it get that far.   :nono:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 05:53:16 pm »
This will be an absolute sweep for the GOP in 2020.

The almost total bloc vote by the Dems have demonstrated to all Americans that the party has an absence of patriots who can rise above the partisanship and do what is right for the country.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:00:15 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 10:46:30 am »
All these weeks of delay had the sole purpose of making sure every dem was on board and desperate efforts to find even one repub vote. The clock ran out but there was no turning back, they had to settle for the consolation prize.

I'm thinking more and more that it's all a sham. They know if they try to take anything to the Senate based on these egregious rules, it will be their underhanded process that's on trial as much as Trump.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 12:40:16 pm »
I think the crux of whether this process is fair will be whether Schiff and Nadler will allow the Republicans to call Hunter Biden as a witness.   We all know the answer to that,  yet it is crucial to determine whether the President's interest in Ukraine investigating Burisma was for narrow political purposes or for reasons of interest to the United States.

Another thing that needs to be pinned down is what the quid was for the President's quo.   I don't believe the infamous phone call addressed the matter of military aid at all.  Instead,  Trump and Zelensky talked about the possibility of a face to face meeting - that is, a photo op that would benefit Zelensky politically.    It is one thing to ask Zelensky to investigate the Bidens and Crowdstrike as a condition of receiving military aid appropriated by Congress,  and quite another to establish that condition in exchange for a photo op. 

Of course, as we all know,  the military aid was received (in a complete reversal of Obama's policy of only providing Ukraine with blankets and MREs),  the photo op with Zelensky took place,  the Ukrainians never investigated the Bidens, and the text of the phone call was released for all to read.    The Dems are willfully acting as blind men describing the elephant.   Take off the blinders, and look at the whole elephant - no crime was committed, and no cover-up has taken place.     
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:42:10 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 12:54:49 pm »
I'm sure those two had permission from Mrs. Botox.
Agreed.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 01:01:24 pm »
Another thing that needs to be pinned down is what the quid was for the President's quo.   I don't believe the infamous phone call addressed the matter of military aid at all.  Instead,  Trump and Zelensky talked about the possibility of a face to face meeting - that is, a photo op that would benefit Zelensky politically.    It is one thing to ask Zelensky to investigate the Bidens and Crowdstrike as a condition of receiving military aid appropriated by Congress,  and quite another to establish that condition in exchange for a photo op. 
@Jazzhead
As President Trump says "READ THE TRANSCRIPT!"  Zelensky says "we are almost ready to buy more Javelins from the United States for defence purposes." Trump replies "I would like you to do us a favor though..."

Arms for dirt.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 01:43:22 pm »
@Jazzhead
As President Trump says "READ THE TRANSCRIPT!"  Zelensky says "we are almost ready to buy more Javelins from the United States for defence purposes." Trump replies "I would like you to do us a favor though..."

Arms for dirt.

Thanks for pointing that out, @Once-Ler.   I hadn't read the transcript in a couple of weeks,  and had overlooked that line.   But note, too, that the "favor" requested was with respect to the Crowdstrike issue, not the Bidens, and Crowdstrike related to a matter under active Justice Department investigation.  Crowdstrike was not political "dirt".    I note, also, that Zelensky expressed a desire to purchase "more" Javelins.   Was he referring to the military aid appropriated by Congress,  or was he asking for additional aid?    I don't know the answer to that - do you?   When did Congress vote to appropriate the military aid,  did it explicitly include Javelins, and was the fact of that appropriation known to the Ukrainians at the time of the phone call?   

I agree with you that arbitrarily denying Ukraine military aid duly appropriated by Congress would not be kosher.   But it is perfectly kosher to demand a quid pro quo for something new, whether it be a photo-op (as was extensively discussed on the call)  or "more Javelins" above and beyond that appropriated by Congress.    Do you know what the facts and timeline were?   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 01:45:44 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 01:45:54 pm »
@Jazzhead

Arms for dirt.

Thats right, arms for dirt.

And to hell with what Zelensky says. What does he know.

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 02:00:03 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out, @Once-Ler.   I hadn't read the transcript in a couple of weeks,  and had overlooked that line.   But note, too, that the "favor" requested was with respect to the Crowdstrike issue, not the Bidens, and Crowdstrike related to a matter under active Justice Department investigation.  Crowdstrike was not political "dirt".

Later in the same conversation ..."The other thing, There's a  lot of talk about Biden's son, that Eiden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that  so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be  great.  Biden went around bragging that he stopped the prosecution so if you can look into it ...  It  sounds horrible to me." https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Unclassified09.2019.pdf

See that elipses (...)? that is where Vindmann says the President was talking about videos of Biden but the "word for word" transcript doesn't include it.  That could be important in proving a cover up.

I note, also, that Zelensky expressed a desire to purchase "more" Javelins.   Was he referring to the military aid appropriated by Congress,  or was he asking for additional aid?    I don't know the answer to that - do you?   When did Congress vote to appropriate the military aid,  did it explicitly include Javelins, and was the fact of that appropriation known to the Ukrainians at the time of the phone call?   

I agree with you that arbitrarily denying Ukraine military aid duly appropriated by Congress would not be kosher.   But it is perfectly kosher to demand a quid pro quo for something new, whether it be a photo-op (as was extensively discussed on the call)  or "more Javelins" above and beyond that appropriated by Congress.    Do you know what the facts and timeline were?   

I don't know.  I expect it will become clearer with public hearings.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 02:03:24 pm »

I don't know.  I expect it will become clearer with public hearings.

Clear as mud.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »
Clear as mud.

Never mind the "crime", its the "coverup".

Doncha know.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 02:17:34 pm »
Never mind the "crime", its the "coverup".

Doncha know.

Releasing the transcript of the phone call is an odd way to conduct a "cover-up".

And Trump explicitly expressed to Zelensky his concern that "Biden stopped the prosecution" into Burisma's corruption.    That was an act taken in Biden's capacity as Vice President.   Why wouldn't that act be of objective interest to the United States rather than mere digging for political "dirt"?   

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 02:20:36 pm »
If the use of ellipses constitutes an illegal coverup, I could be in big trouble...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 02:24:07 pm »
Releasing the transcript of the phone call is an odd way to conduct a "cover-up".

And Trump explicitly expressed to Zelensky his concern that "Biden stopped the prosecution" into Burisma's corruption.    That was an act taken in Biden's capacity as Vice President.   Why wouldn't that act be of objective interest to the United States rather than mere digging for political "dirt"?   

One could say its actually incumbent upon a president to investigate political corruption on the part of US officials overseas.

But rats see life 'through the looking glass'. Off with Trump's head.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 02:29:15 pm »
The transcript was released after the whistleblower came forward.
It could be.  It is strange that it only became an issue after Biden announced he was running and Hillary's and Obama's corruption remains unimportant to Trump.  But sure Trump, with his big heart for the world and unswerving commitment to rooting out corruption in Ukraine could explain this.

Ukraine First
Trump - 2020

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 02:31:28 pm »
If the use of ellipses constitutes an illegal coverup, I could be in big trouble...
They will be the 18 missing minutes of tape for this impeachment.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 02:37:03 pm »
The transcript was released after the whistleblower came forward.It could be.  It is strange that it only became an issue after Biden announced he was running and Hillary's and Obama's corruption remains unimportant to Trump.  But sure Trump, with his big heart for the world and unswerving commitment to rooting out corruption in Ukraine could explain this.

Ukraine First
Trump - 2020

There is no "whistle blower" you dunce!  Just one more in a long line of Deep State lemmings!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 02:45:27 pm »
The transcript was released after the whistleblower came forward.

Of course.  It was released in reaction to the whistleblower, in an act of transparency.   The President felt he had nothing to hide.   And the Ukrainians are on record as saying they were not pressured.   And it is a matter of historical record that (i) the appropriated military aid was provided, (ii) the photo-op Zelensky wanted with Trump was provided, and (iii) the Ukrainians did not investigate the Bidens.   

This is truly an example of the Democrats in Cloudcuckooland.