Author Topic: WS Game Two: Baby sharks? Try Jaws.  (Read 1518 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
WS Game Two: Baby sharks? Try Jaws.
« on: October 24, 2019, 04:35:44 pm »
And in World Series Game Two the Astros fed the beast their own selves.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/10/24/baby-sharks-try-jaws/

Well, World Series Game Two was a pitching duel after each side hung up a two-spot in their halves of the first inning. Justin Verlander and Stephen Strasburg ground and gritted and got their Houdinis on.

And then came the top of the seventh. A six-run Nationals inning that will live in Astro infamy and Nats legend. Deal with the Astros’ home field advantage? The Nats obliterated it with a little help from their spring training complex friends.

Baby Sharks? On Wednesday night the Astros got swallowed by Jaws. And in the top of the seventh they helped feed the beast that ran them out of their home aquarium, 12-3. And lost back-to-back games at home for only the second time since July.

“Reset, then come into an environment that we know is going to be pretty crazy,” said Verlander about the coming Game Three in Nationals Park, “and be ready to play baseball like we know we can.”

But there’s suddenly the nagging fear that the Astros may be the only ones who still know they can play that kind of baseball. They didn’t play it Game Two, against a team who shares with them both baseball’s best play since 24 May and a taste for making the other guys pay for their mistakes with usurious interest.

“Where would you like me to start?” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said as a reporter at the postgame presser asked about the top of the seventh. The one that only began with Nats catcher Kurt Suzuki’s leadoff home run.

Things actually began near the end of the bottom of the sixth, when the Astros had Yuli Gurriel on second with a double, rookie Yordan Alvarez aboard on an intentional walk, a game still tied at two, and two out.

That’s when Hinch elected to pinch hit for Verlander’s season-long personal catcher Robinson Chirinos, who’d shepherded Verlander through five shutout innings just the way Suzuki shepherded Strasburg through five and two thirds, with escape acts being the order of the hour as often as not no matter how much stronger the pair got after their two-run firsts.

Hinch sent up Kyle Tucker, figuring that his being lefthanded might have a better shot against the righthanded Strasburg. But Tucker helped Strasburg squirm out of the first-and-second chains by fighting his way into a called third strike. Then, Hinch sent Martin Maldonado out to catch Verlander for the seventh and for the first time all year long. And after Verlander served Suzuki an opening ball one a little upstairs, Suzuki served the next pitch richocheting off the edge of a large Lexus sign behind the Crawford Boxes.

“We’ve had our battles,” said Suzuki in a post-game on-field interview, and he took a lifetime 14-for-42 jacket with a pair of doubles against Verlander into Game Two. “He’s gotten me sometimes, sometimes I get him. He’s a great pitcher, and you’ve got to really zone in on one spot. He doesn’t make many mistakes, and when you get a pitch to hit you can’t miss it.”

“First-pitch curveball for a ball, and then fastball that was right there for him,” said Verlander, who more or less denied that being switched to Maldonado threw him off since he’d thrown to Maldonado “a lot” in 2018. “In the regular season, you’re like, ‘OK, here it is, hit it, right down the middle.’ In the World Series, it’s a different story. You can’t really ever do that. You still got to hit your spots.”

And if you don’t, you get hit. For distance, even. By a catcher whose body lately threatens to demand donation to forensic anthropology.

Then Verlander lost Victor Robles to a full count walk and his night was over. Becoming the first in Show to nail 200 career postseason strikeouts, breaking John Smoltz’s record of 199 when he fanned Robles in the top of the second, would have meant a lot more if the Astro bullpen didn’t perform an almost-from-nowhere, note-perfect impersonation of . . . the Nats’ bullpen as it looked for most of the regular season.

Hinch reached for Ryan Pressly and Trea Turner reached on another full count walk. And then the merry-go-round started going round enough that maybe, just maybe, the Astros were caught a little off guard and a lot more off balance.

Adam Eaton dropped a near-perfect bunt in front of the mound to push the runners to second and third, but Anthony Rendon—knowing the Nats wouldn’t pitch around him to get to Juan Soto—flied out to shallow center. Up came Soto. With the Astros having issued not a single intentional walk all year long to that point.

This may or may not qualify as calling the repairman when it isn’t broken, but Hinch ordered Soto walked on the house in favour of pitching to Howie Kendrick, who’s not exactly a simple out but isn’t exactly Juan Soto, his division series-conquering grand slam notwithstanding. The Astros saw more than enough of Soto’s mayhem in Game One. Not a second time.

It turned out to be the most powerful free pass of all time. For the Nats, that is.

Kendrick bounced one toward the hole at shortstop. Astros third baseman Alex Bregman scrambled left. He knocked the ball down to stop it from shooting through, then picked it up. Then, he dropped it. All hands safe and Robles home with a fourth Nats run. Then Asdrubal Cabrera, playing second for the Nats with Kendrick the DH in Houston, lined a two-run single up the pipe.

Up stepped Ryan Zimmerman, the Nats’ first base elder. Ball one hit the dirt and shot past Maldonado behind the plate allowing the runners to move back to second and third. Then Zimmerman on 2-2 bounced one weakly up the third base side and Bregman hustled in, barehanded the ball, but threw wildly down the line allowing Kendrick and Cabrera to come home and Zimmerman to take second.

Minute Maid Park turned into a graveside service. These were the Astros who entered the World Series as the heaviest favourites in history? The 107-game winners who took no prisoners and laid all in front of them to waste? And if the crowd couldn’t believe what they’d just seen, the Astros couldn’t believe it even more.

“They came into our building and played two really good games,” said Hinch at the presser. “We’re going to have to sleep off the latter one-third of the game. I don’t want to lump this into a horrible game. It was a horrible three innings. It wasn’t a horrible game.”

Well, it didn’t start that way, even if Rendon slashed a two-run double off Verlander and the left field wall with one out in the top of the first and Bregman hit a two-run homer off the back wall of the Crawfords in the bottom of the first.

If the Nats couldn’t cash in their few chances against Verlander over the following five innings, the Astros weren’t exactly doing much more to Strasburg other than periodically pinning him to the wall those same five innings only to discover he had more than a few escape routes to travel.

“You know it’s going to be a storm out there,” said Strasburg during one post-game interview, the man whose younger self might have fumed the rest of the game over Bregman’s first-inning bomb but whose mature self just shakes it off. “You’re going to weather it.”

And to think that the whole seventh-inning disaster was launched by a catcher who’d been 2-for-25 this postseason and 5-for-his-last-39 overall. The Nats generally don’t care who gets it started as long as it gets started, but Los Viejos, as Max Scherzer calls their veterans, have as much fun as the young’uns at it.

“Just trying to go out there and play for the guy next to you,” Strasburg eventually told MLB Network’s MLB Tonight after the game. “It was a hard-fought battle there. And they made me work every single inning.”

Maybe so, but the Astros are hitting .176 (3-for-17) with men on second or better so far in the Series, while the Nats are hitting .333 (7-for-21) with them. The Nats have out-scored the Astros 16-7 and hit a collective .307/.366/.547 slash line to the Astros’ .257/.321/.432 slash.

Both sides’ pitching is missing bats—eighteen strikeouts for the Nats, twenty for the Astros so far—but the Astros’ biggest two starters, Verlander and Gerrit Cole, pack a 6.22 Series ERA so far to the Nats’ big two’s (Scherzer, Strasburg) 3.30 Series ERA. It was June when the Astros last lost back-to-back Verlander and Cole starts, and those two pitchers hadn’t been saddled with losses on their ledgers back-to-back since August . . . 2018.

And thanks to STATS, LLC, we know that Verlander and Cole have done something no pair of same-season, same-team 20-game winners has done in 55 years: lost the first two games in a World Series. The last to do that: Hall of Famers Don Drysdale (Game One) and Sandy Koufax (Game Two) in 1965.

Since those Dodgers went on to win in seven, with Koufax throwing a pair of shutouts, you don’t need me to tell you the Astros would like to do likewise and the Nats would prefer they not. Right now, the odds of the Astros doing it have fallen to the basement and the Nats’ odds of stopping them have hit the observation deck.

Some might have thought the Nats blew the Astros the loudest raspberry in the southwest, when they sent Fernando Rodney out to pitch the bottom of the seventh Wednesday night, and he navigated a leadoff walk into a force at second, a pop out behind the infield, and a ground out to first. Rodney, after all, is the only active player in the Show who may have been an eyewitness to the Red Sea crossing.

Nah. Even with their by-now-too-famous dugout dancings after home runs big and small, the Nats aren’t that crass. But you could forgive Astroworld if it believes the Dancing Nats—whose theme song by now ought to be the Archie Bell & the Drells soul classic, “I Can’t Stop Dancing”—have a merciless streak of their own when their sharks smell blood in or on the Astro waters.

With reliever Josh James held over to open the top of the eighth, Maldonado couldn’t hold onto strike three to Robles leading off. A strikeout to Turner later, Eaton couldn’t hold off sending James’s first-pitch fastball right down the middle right onto a high line ending in the right field seats.

And after making his way through the Nats’ now-customary dugout dance, he plopped onto the bench next to Kendrick, where the pair of them began thrusting their arms out and barking like seals beating their flippers after being thrown particularly succulent fish.

Then Michael A. Taylor, inserted into center field in the bottom of the eighth, stood in to hit against Astros reliever Chris Devenski with one out in the top of the ninth. One pitch. One Game Two at-bat. One launch into the Crawford Boxes. One 12-2 Nats lead that became 12-3 when Maldonado sent spare Nats reliever Javy Guerra’s one-out, 1-0 fastball into a balcony past the Crawfords. It’s ok if you want to believe Guerra wanted to show just a little mercy.

But only a little. Rendon fielded but threw George Springer’s grounder to third just off enough that Zimmerman couldn’t dig it out. Then Jose Altuve lined a base hit up the pipe, ninth-inning center field insertion Jake Marisnick grounded one to third that Rendon threw cleanly to first, and the game finally ended.

And the Astros were clean where they didn’t expect to be. Home field advantage swallowed alive. Facing a trip to Washington where they’d prefer to nuke the Nats in kind, or at least get past them for once. Their theme song after Game Two could be Alice Cooper’s chestnut, “Welcome to My Nightmare.”

The last thing the Astros want to know is that only three teams in baseball history have gone on to win the World Series after losing the first two games at home: the 1985 Royals, the 1986 Mets, and the 1996 Yankees. Or, that among the last eighteen teams who won the first two Series games only one didn’t go on to win the rings—the 1996 Braves.

Don’t tell the Nats, either. They haven’t surrendered their May-forward mentality of hoping to go 1-0 each day. “The truth is, winning these games here does nothing for us on Friday,” Zimmerman said thoughtfully after Game Two. “Zack Greinke’s pitching. And Zack Greinke is pretty good, too. So believe me, we know there’s no let-up with that team over there. So we’ve just got to keep going and keep playing like we’ve been playing.”

“I think the message is, don’t hang your head,” Verlander said just as thoughtfully. “We didn’t play our best baseball, things didn’t go our way, we have an off day tomorrow but we don’t have time to feel bad about ourselves.”

The Nats probably have no interest in giving them that time, either. The Baby Sharks are halfway to swimming in the Promised Land. The second half won’t necessarily be easy. But they’ve beaten the best Astro arms, gotten the Astros to help beat themselves, and discovered the Astros aren’t exactly Moby Dick.
---------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

Re: WS Game Two: Baby sharks? Try Jaws.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 04:41:52 pm »
Almost looks like the Astros don't want to win. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 04:47:15 pm »
The Nationals appear to be a better version of the Astros right now.
The teams are a lot alike.
I'm not throwing in the towel yet, unless  we are down 0-3 after Friday night.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 04:51:50 pm »
Thanks for the recap.

I did a @DCPatriot  and went to bed in the middle of the 6th.  Stupid allergy medicine.  :thud:

On a semi-related note, I wonder why nobody is talking about the length of these games?  Tuesday night's game was 3:43; last night's was 4:01 ...  With a game start-time of 8pm, there's no way I can let Son #5 stay up and watch the whole thing on a school night. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 04:55:05 pm »
With a game start-time of 8pm, there's no way I can let Son #5 stay up and watch the whole thing on a school night.
@Polly Ticks
Send your son's teachers a note saying that, due to a prior obligation of true education, he cannot be in school on any day/night the World Series is played.  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 05:26:25 pm »
The Nationals appear to be a better version of the Astros right now.
The teams are a lot alike.
I'm not throwing in the towel yet, unless  we are down 0-3 after Friday night.

I'm pretty much am.  No hunger in the eyes of the team.  They are being beat at every aspect of the game.
Honestly, that 7th inning was the one worst inning in the history of Astros post season play.  Pathetic.

Fangraphs still has us north of a 30% chance of winning the series.  I'd place it more like 5%.
Also don't forget this Nationals team won their last 8 regular season games, then has gone 10-2 in the post season.  They are highly likely to become the 6th WC card team in near 20 years to win it all.  Just goes to show that in the modern day of baseball the hot hand at the end of the season almost always trumps home field advantage.

Winning 4 of 5, with 3 of them in DC?  Not going to happen.  Just hope we don't get swept.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 05:28:13 pm »
All I can say right now is that I'm NUMB!   :0001:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 05:30:27 pm »
And I must say, that the only thing I've missed during the shutdown is the ability to read @EasyAce and talk to you guyz and galz!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 05:33:41 pm »
And I must say, that the only thing I've missed during the shutdown is the ability to read @EasyAce and talk to you guyz and galz!    :beer:
@DCPatriot
Amen brother!  :beer:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 05:40:59 pm »
All I can say right now is that I'm NUMB!   :0001:

Remember back in July, when I told you that this was a team that had a great shot?  I knew that core rotation wouldn't keep the team out of contention. 

If we have to lose, I prefer it to you guys, rather than the hacking Cardinals, or the arrogant as sin Dodgers.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 05:47:47 pm »

@DCPatriot
I would keep checking back here for the Baseball, as well.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 05:48:15 pm »
Remember back in July, when I told you that this was a team that had a great shot?  I knew that core rotation wouldn't keep the team out of contention. 

If we have to lose, I prefer it to you guys, rather than the hacking Cardinals, or the arrogant as sin Dodgers.

Agreed!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 06:02:26 pm »
@catfish1957
I went into the Series thinking this was going to be a six- or seven-game dogfight.

It still could become one. It may not, but it could still.

I'm genuinely surprised the Astros got spanked this badly in the first two games even with the Scherzer-Strasburg factor. I'm also surprised the Astro bullpen channeled their inner pre-September Nats bullpen in Game Two. And I'm staggered that the Astros turn out to be as bad as they've been with men on second or better so far. Did you ever think Jose Altuve would hit as empty a .400 in two games as he has? Or Yordan Alvarez with that empty a two-game 1.125 OPS? Neither did I. These aren't the Astros I saw during the season.

I feel for Alex Bregman, too. He said after going 0-for-4 with a walk and three strikeouts in Game One that he'd taken his bat to bed with him that night. Considering Game Two (and yes, one of those plays was a tough play, but one he normally sweeps up like an Electrolux), I wonder if he should have had his glove attached to the bat. He's going to win the American League MVP if Mike Trout doesn't, most likely, but he's lost the proverbial plot in ways you'd never expect him to. You know he's a better player than his World Series version to date.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 06:13:36 pm »
Game one = one gopher ball too many from Cole and no bats on the Astros team.

Game two = uncharacteristic bad play in the field by Bregman and no bats on the Astros team.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 06:13:44 pm »
@EasyAce

Altuve trying to take 3rd in the opening frame.
Yes, Suzuki was 5 for 50 in throwing out runners before then.
A Plus for the Astros.

Now for the minuses:

Brantley at bat, left-handed.
Conventional wisdom, is that it is harder to throw around a right handed hitter to get the man stealing third, for an obvious reason.

With Altuve's speed, it wouldn't have taken too much to bring him home from second.

A Crystal ball moment, but now Bregman hits a 3 run homer, instead of  a 2 run shot.

It seemed like a bit of a desperation move, which concerns me.
If the Astros don't believe they can win without taking these kinds of gambles, the probably wont.

Not panicking yet, but............

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 06:21:29 pm »
@EasyAce

Altuve trying to take 3rd in the opening frame.
Yes, Suzuki was 5 for 50 in throwing out runners before then.
A Plus for the Astros.

Now for the minuses:

Brantley at bat, left-handed.
Conventional wisdom, is that it is harder to throw around a right handed hitter to get the man stealing third, for an obvious reason.

With Altuve's speed, it wouldn't have taken too much to bring him home from second.

A Crystal ball moment, but now Bregman hits a 3 run homer, instead of  a 2 run shot.

It seemed like a bit of a desperation move, which concerns me.
If the Astros don't believe they can win without taking these kinds of gambles, the probably wont.

Not panicking yet, but............
You have to gamble a little to win in a World Series. That said, it wasn't necessarily smart of Altuve (usually one of the brainiest players in the game) to think about stealing third with a lefthanded hitter against a righthanded pitcher, but you could understand what made him think about it and try it: runs on the board against both these teams' top starting pitchers are like mining diamonds with toothpicks, and you need every easier scoring shot you can get. If it's a lefthanded pitcher in that situation it's a no-brainer---try to steal third, and you'll probably make it, and score on the Brantley single, making Bregman's two-run shot give you a one-run lead.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 06:31:13 pm »

Yeah...but after the heartbreaking eliminations in years past in the Division Series...for chrissakes...I wasn't optimistic.

Wish I had put $1K on the NATS back in April...and then again just before Game 1.     9999hair out0000

And yes, I'm excited for them as boys and men, because they're a great group of guyz who truly enjoy being together on and off the diamond.

Got a lump in my throat for Michael A. Taylor, who was riding busses in AAA six weeks ago.   Expect the exposure to enhance his career.

....just as I expect to see NATIONALS like Rendon and Soto starters in the All Star Game.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can you imagine walking into Ted Lerner's office with a WS trophy and a request to keep EVERYBODY together for a REPEAT attempt.

That means asking Anthony Rendon to accept a 1 year contract ($30M), plus Strasburg and his option (pay the man)

Would Lerner go the way of the Marlins and break it up?

In the nation's capital?  IMO, NFW.    happy77   

@EasyAce
@catfish1957
@GrouchoTex
@Polly Ticks
@Bigun
@Applewood
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:32:09 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 06:43:59 pm »
Game one = one gopher ball too many from Cole and no bats on the Astros team.

Game two = uncharacteristic bad play in the field by Bregman and no bats on the Astros team.

Took awhile to run the data through, but here are the only teams ever to win a WS after losing first two at home (modern 2-3-2 format)

1985 Royals
1986 Mets
1996 Yankees

Odds aren't with us.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 06:44:28 pm »
Can you imagine walking into Ted Lerner's office with a WS trophy and a request to keep EVERYBODY together for a REPEAT attempt.

That means asking Anthony Rendon to accept a 1 year contract ($30M), plus Strasburg and his option (pay the man)

Would Lerner go the way of the Marlins and break it up?

In the nation's capital?  IMO, NFW.    happy77   
@DCPatriot
You may not believe this, but the Lerners are actually the richest owners in baseball. (Ted Lerner's worth: $4.9 billion.) The Nats can afford to do absolute right by Anthony Rendon, and not just a one-year, $30 million deal. They need to show him the decade to come at $300 million and no deferred money. (The deferred money actually weakens the real value of the deal.) And, yes, they need to give Stephen Strasburg every last reason to not want to opt out of his deal.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 06:45:27 pm »
Took awhile to run the data through, but here are the only teams ever to win a WS after losing first two at home (modern 2-3-2 format)

1985 Royals
1986 Mets
1996 Yankees

Odds aren't with us.
@catfish1957
You could have saved yourself some time---I noted it near the end of my original essay.  wink777

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 06:50:03 pm »
On the upside, Simone Biles' first pitch was nothing short of amazing (no size joke intended).
Google it if you haven't seen it yet.
Verlander throwing from his backside and hitting himself in the leg was pretty funny.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 06:52:12 pm »
@DCPatriot
You may not believe this, but the Lerners are actually the richest owners in baseball. (Ted Lerner's worth: $4.9 billion.) The Nats can afford to do absolute right by Anthony Rendon, and not just a one-year, $30 million deal. They need to show him the decade to come at $300 million and no deferred money. (The deferred money actually weakens the real value of the deal.) And, yes, they need to give Stephen Strasburg every last reason to not want to opt out of his deal.

Actually know the Ted Lerner personally, but it was in 1972, opening up multiple stores in new covered malls (Landover Mall...now closed)

He was an enigma back then, too!   Would never remember me today.  LOL!

Do you think it being Washington, DC...it adds tremendous pressure on Ted Lerner to pull the trigger? :laugh:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 06:54:34 pm »
Actually know the Ted Lerner personally, but it was in 1972, opening up multiple stores in new covered malls (Landover Mall...now closed)

He was an enigma back then, too!   Would never remember me today.  LOL!

Do you think it being Washington, DC...it adds tremendous pressure on Ted Lerner to pull the trigger? :laugh:
@DCPatriot
I'd be surprised if that didn't put some pressure on him.

Meanwhile, you might get a kick out of this---I just went to YouTube to play the theme from Jaws . . . and the ad they showed first was for the World Series.  :silly:

You think the Nationals Park PA system people should play the theme from Jaws before or during Game Three?  :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 06:56:31 pm »
On the upside, Simone Biles' first pitch was nothing short of amazing (no size joke intended).
Google it if you haven't seen it yet.
Verlander throwing from his backside and hitting himself in the leg was pretty funny.

Two notations...

1) This is the first World Series that I have seen, where the stadium lacks any kind of World Series Logo, MLB logo, no red, white and blue bunting along the railings...  Not even a GD design in the turf left by the blades.

2)  And did anyone notice that during the game, they failed to show Kate Upton?  Not even a glimpse of that unbelievably hot glowing woman the entire game.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 06:57:32 pm »
2)  And did anyone notice that during the game, they failed to show Kate Upton?  Not even a glimpse of that unbelievably hot glowing woman the entire game.
@DCPatriot
She may not have been glowing as the game went on, unfortunately.