Author Topic: Man stands in 110-degree heat to pass out his resume instead of asking for handouts — and goes viral  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Hard work and persistence pay off

Carlos Garcia

An unemployed father decided on an unorthodox way to get his resume out to employers while looking for a job, and his effort went viral on social media.

One person posted his resume and a photo on Twitter, where his story took off.

"I was driving down Camelback Rd in Phx near my office and saw this guy on the side of the road with a smile in 110-degree heat, with a sign asking people to take his resume," the tweet read....

https://www.theblaze.com/news/guy-goes-viral-for-handing-out-resume

Great story.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
His perseverance paid off. Good for him!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Kudos to the guy!  It's been a bit of a scorcher in the Desert SW.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
He said that he had sent out his resumes to dozens of job opportunities online but had not gotten any luck.

I remember that in the late 2009 - early 2010 timeframe. Wasn’t even receiving ‘thanks for applying’ responses.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"I received offers from companies that wouldn't hire you without experience, but because they saw my determination," he explained, "they offered me a position without even an interview."
So do what they tell you to do, and they will reject you, but you have to come up with something totally out of left field on your own to even be considered.

That is the sign of the total and utter dishonesty of the human resources game. Why does corporate America have to be such (expletives)?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
So do what they tell you to do, and they will reject you, but you have to come up with something totally out of left field on your own to even be considered.

That is the sign of the total and utter dishonesty of the human resources game. Why does corporate America have to be such (expletives)?

It’s not dishonest. Among the many submissions, your resume has to stand out. From a standpoint of content, it was probably unimpressive. However, he found a way to distinguish himself.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@jmyrlefuller I've hired a lot of people over the years, and the skills were never as important as the willingness and ability to do a good job.  I would look for a minimal skill level and then interview for that less tangible "willingness and ability".   This guy showed both by standing on a corner with his sign.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

It’s not dishonest. Among the many submissions, your resume has to stand out. From a standpoint of content, it was probably unimpressive. However, he found a way to distinguish himself.

And, what would it benefit "corporate America" (whoever he or she is) to use a dishonest standard in hiring?  It is extremely important to get hiring right, so why use a method that would not get a good result?

Offline skeeter

@jmyrlefuller I've hired a lot of people over the years, and the skills were never as important as the willingness and ability to do a good job.  I would look for a minimal skill level and then interview for that less tangible "willingness and ability".   This guy showed both by standing on a corner with his sign.

Ditto. In fact anyone who couldn't claim the minimum requirements for a job would never get as far as an interview. HR made certain of that. Then enthusiasm and communication skills were just about the only things I would look at. And those were surprisingly rare commodities.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
In my field, software design/software engineering, the most important aspect of getting a job is friends. Most American employees I have dealt with at work were friends or relatives of important people in the company. The rest were H-1Bs.

This was tricky because you never knew who you were dealing with. You could have an inept intern assigned to your team only to find out that she was not there to actually work. You could not task her or criticize her. And if you do, you may get a call from some VP or Director in the company asking you what the hell you think you are doing.

In most technical fields, networking is the best source to get a new job.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 04:15:21 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline PeteS in CA

Kudos to the guy!  It's been a bit of a scorcher in the Desert SW.

True, but that is normal for this time of year in Phoenix. I moved there in late 1972 in late June and it was 114F that afternoon (hauling stuff into a second story walk-up whose AC had been off for a couple of weeks made it a memorable experience).

Handing out resumes' on Camelback Rd. and ## Street or Avenue demonstrates a lot of willingness to work!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
True, but that is normal for this time of year in Phoenix. I moved there in late 1972 in late June and it was 114F that afternoon (hauling stuff into a second story walk-up whose AC had been off for a couple of weeks made it a memorable experience).

Handing out resumes' on Camelback Rd. and ## Street or Avenue demonstrates a lot of willingness to work!

Yes, it does indicate that.  I wonder what kind of job he was looking for?  As for the heat, yes it's normal this time of year.  This year has been a little warmer than usual, in terms of how many days it's over 110.

I moved out of Phoenix late last year, and it's hotter here than it was there.  We've had three weeks of temps >110, maybe 4 days > 115.  Normal for Bullhead City.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

When I was preparing to open my office in Northern California in mid- summer, the temps hovered around 100 degrees.

As part of my opening strategy which included running newspaper ads introducing the new doctor in town, I went door to door in a one mile radius around my office conducting a survey regarding the need for my chiropractic services. Of course that was just a ruse I used for introducing myself personally, hoping the personal contact and introductory handshake would make the right impression.

Anyway, there I stood at their front door in my suit and tie, sweating bullets and wiping my forehead. But, nonetheless, I continued doing that every day for two weeks. I also sent handwritten letters to each family thanking them for taking the time to speak with me.

It worked. On opening day my office was filled with brand new patients!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

There is much truth to what you say @jmyrlefuller.  I got every job I ever applied for and managed to get past the human resources department. Sometimes getting past the Human resources people took some, shall we say, maneuvering on my part.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
There is much truth to what you say @jmyrlefuller.  I got every job I ever applied for and managed to get past the human resources department. Sometimes getting past the Human resources people took some, shall we say, maneuvering on my part.

I looked at all applications.  I didn't have HR do that for me.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

And you are a rare commodity these days.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Depends on the company.  A large Corporation typically pre-screens the applicants before the hiring Manager ever gets to see them.  I'm glad you got to see them all, free of interference from HR.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Depends on the company.  A large Corporation typically pre-screens the applicants before the hiring Manager ever gets to see them.  I'm glad you got to see them all, free of interference from HR.

That's the way our system was set up.  A lot of work, but worth it in my estimation.

Offline PeteS in CA

When I was preparing to open my office in Northern California in mid- summer, the temps hovered around 100 degrees.

As part of my opening strategy which included running newspaper ads introducing the new doctor in town, I went door to door in a one mile radius around my office conducting a survey regarding the need for my chiropractic services. Of course that was just a ruse I used for introducing myself personally, hoping the personal contact and introductory handshake would make the right impression.

Anyway, there I stood at their front door in my suit and tie, sweating bullets and wiping my forehead. But, nonetheless, I continued doing that every day for two weeks. I also sent handwritten letters to each family thanking them for taking the time to speak with me.

It worked. On opening day my office was filled with brand new patients!

If that was in the Red Bluff area, I'm not sure if that was courage or crazy. When I was growing up in Yolo County, summer temps were typically between 95 and 105.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline aligncare

@PeteS in CA

Close. It was Redding.

Yep, those were the temperatures I endured (not to mention the frequent fires that choked the air. Last one I recall when I was living there was at Whiskeytown Lake and came unnervingly close to my cabin in Old Shasta, which edged Whiskeytown.

Hey, I just remembered something ...Redding recently (maybe last summer?) suffered a devastating fire that came down along the Sacramento River banks and spread into the heart of Redding. It was a bad one.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:42:18 pm by aligncare »