Author Topic: Woodstock 50 Officially Off  (Read 9127 times)

Offline Applewood

Woodstock 50 Officially Off
« on: July 31, 2019, 07:21:09 pm »
Woodstock 50 Officially Off

Woodstock 50 is officially off, multiple sources tell Variety. Vendors and stakeholders were notified this morning, July 31, that the beleaguered festival was not going on. The festival was originally scheduled for Aug. 16 through 18.

Yesterday it was reported that headliner Miley Cyrus had pulled out of the festival, joining the Raconteurs, the Lumineers and original Woodstock 1969 performers Santana, John Sebastian and Country Joe McDonald, all of whom since last night have said publicly that they’re not performing. Earlier, headliners Jay-Z and the Dead & Co., as well as John Fogerty, confirmed that they will not be performing.

More at:

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/woodstock-50-off-dead-1203286874/

Offline mountaineer

Re: Woodstock 50 Officially Off
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:21:40 pm »
Miley Cyrus, Jay-Z ... sheesh.
I was a kid during the original Woodstock and didn't have any use for drug-addled hippies, but give me a break! With acts like these, it's no wonder this reboot is a disaster.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online berdie

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 08:47:54 pm »
It seems odd to me that people want to recreate that event. Why?  It is a time gone past. (maybe as well)

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 08:52:08 pm »
Bummer, man.

Not.

Anyway: what would be the point? The 2020 Democrat Convention is just as likely to resemble a bunch of stoned leftists frolicking in the mud.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 08:54:36 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 08:54:43 pm »
It seems odd to me that people want to recreate that event. Why?  It is a time gone past. (maybe as well)
We have been saturated with 60s redux as the aging New Left (Hippie Communists, now Democrats) desperately seek to relive the relevance, maan, of their youth.
We have had Race Riots, alleged civil rights problems (complete with the worst race relations since then), marchers in the streets, the drive to impeach a Republican President, etc., etc., etc.
It's no wonder (though the image is less than attractive) they long for the days of being naked and stoned in the mud at the Farm.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 09:22:29 pm »
I was a kid during the original Woodstock and didn't have any use for drug-addled hippies, but give me a break! With acts like these, it's no wonder this reboot is a disaster.

Sadly music has not come close, to the level of the groups at Woodstock.

Fortunately I can have two or more ideas active in my mind at once;

namely I don't like Santana's olicics, but sure do like his music.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 09:31:02 pm »

Well, some of the original acts are dead, retired or too old and messed up to perform.  The organizers did have Santana and maybe a couple of the original performers lined up, but they weren't enough, so the organizers had to get some younger performers.  I guess some were interested and may have signed on, but when they saw this event was going nowhere, they bowed out. 

When the original Woodstock was held, I was a teenager and would have loved to go, but there was no way in hell my parents would have allowed it.  I'm really glad I didn't go.   Despite all the nostalgic propaganda about the festival that has been disseminated over the years, Woodstock was a real mess.  Why anyone would want to try to recreate or celebrate it is beyond my comprehension.

Online berdie

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 09:37:58 pm »
We have been saturated with 60s redux as the aging New Left (Hippie Communists, now Democrats) desperately seek to relive the relevance, maan, of their youth.
We have had Race Riots, alleged civil rights problems (complete with the worst race relations since then), marchers in the streets, the drive to impeach a Republican President, etc., etc., etc.
It's no wonder (though the image is less than attractive) they long for the days of being naked and stoned in the mud at the Farm.

You are probably right.  I wonder if this is like the movie remakes, music remakes, tv remakes.  The can't do their own thing.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 10:42:36 pm »

Oh I dunno @berdie ... I keep on looking for Mayberry RFD... And sometimes I find it.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 03:22:23 am »

You are probably right.  I wonder if this is like the movie remakes, music remakes, tv remakes.  The can't do their own thing.
There was probably only one percent or less of the teen or young adult population at the time who were actual hippies. Most teens, then as now, were going to college after high school, into the service, or getting a job.
The total numbers of hippie protesters and other weirdos has been tremendously exaggerated by the liberal press who love to believe that all the teens at the time were prospective leftist revolutionaries ala Che Guevarra.

Read Jonathan Leaf's "Politically Incorrect Guide To The Sixties" where he debunks most of the liberal myths of the decade.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 03:53:33 am »
There was probably only one percent or less of the teen or young adult population at the time who were actual hippies. Most teens, then as now, were going to college after high school, into the service, or getting a job.
The total numbers of hippie protesters and other weirdos has been tremendously exaggerated by the liberal press who love to believe that all the teens at the time were prospective leftist revolutionaries ala Che Guevarra.

Read Jonathan Leaf's "Politically Incorrect Guide To The Sixties" where he debunks most of the liberal myths of the decade.
Well, I noticed early on that there was a fellow proselytizing about "turn on, tune in, and drop out" who would then get on an airplane and fly to another city to do the same thing. Plane tickets were darned expensive, not the sort of thing someone who dropped out could afford (without serious backing).
I didn't buy it.
I didn't steal that other fellow's book, either. (or buy that).

But the perception that "everyone is doing it" is powerful indeed, and many emulated the dress, actions, or behaviour of the people they had been sold by mass media as "cool/mod/ groovy/in" versus the everyday 'squares' who continued to uphold traditional values. The sexual license sold by the movement was especially attractive to pubescent age groups, playing on one of the strongest instincts humans have.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 11:50:01 am »
A few years ago someone said that if the number of people "who claimed" they attended the original Woodstock in 1969 actually attended, or tried to attend the concert, Max Yeager and the village of Bethel NY would still be cleaning up the trash and towing cars.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2019, 12:42:48 pm »
A few years ago someone said that if the number of people "who claimed" they attended the original Woodstock in 1969 actually attended, or tried to attend the concert, Max Yeager and the village of Bethel NY would still be cleaning up the trash and towing cars.
That's the truth. The number is somewhere around 2 million, I believe.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 01:40:52 pm »
@truth_seeker

Santana is one of the few Woodstock performers who can still perform.  Friend of mine saw him in New Orleans back in May and said he was awesome.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 01:50:52 pm »
Well, I noticed early on that there was a fellow proselytizing about "turn on, tune in, and drop out" who would then get on an airplane and fly to another city to do the same thing. Plane tickets were darned expensive, not the sort of thing someone who dropped out could afford (without serious backing).
I didn't buy it.
I didn't steal that other fellow's book, either. (or buy that).

But the perception that "everyone is doing it" is powerful indeed, and many emulated the dress, actions, or behaviour of the people they had been sold by mass media as "cool/mod/ groovy/in" versus the everyday 'squares' who continued to uphold traditional values. The sexual license sold by the movement was especially attractive to pubescent age groups, playing on one of the strongest instincts humans have.
The biggest advocates of the "counter culture" were rags like "Rollingstone" and a few others.
The morons who wrote for them obviously never visited the midwest and the south i.e. flyover country or they'd know the great majority of young people weren't hippies and didn't want to overthrow the government. A number of the young people smoked a little dope (not me) and liked the music. Few were genuine hippies, hated their country, and wanted to overthrow the gov.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 05:50:50 pm »
Lack of handicapped parking and ambulances?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 05:59:29 pm »
Sadly music has not come close, to the level of the groups at Woodstock.

Fortunately I can have two or more ideas active in my mind at once;

namely I don't like Santana's olicics, but sure do like his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Whgn_iE5uc

@truth_seeker

Give this one a look and listen. My favorite song by Santana.

It's probably best it was cancelled. Who the HELL are they going to find that can match what Joe Cocker did on stage,never mind the others? Ok,ok.  I HAVE to mention Janis Joplin. I think the law requires that one.

I can understand why musicians kept backing away from it. How would YOU like to be Mylie Cyrus and have YOUR performance compared to what Janis put out while drunk and high?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:02:07 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 06:13:44 pm »
Most teens, then as now, were going to college after high school, into the service, or getting a job.
There was probably only one percent or less of the teen or young adult population at the time who were actual hippies.

@goatprarie

Do NOT denigrate the REAL hippies of the 60's. GREAT people to talk and visit with. I was in San Francisco in the summer of 1967,wandering around while wearing army dress greens,jump boots,and a green beret. I had hippies stop me to ask me questions about the VN war,but they were not only respectful,they even invited me to stay at the houses they were living in and eat their food. They also took me around to show me the sights,and told me the areas to avoid that day because the "professional tv hippies" were leading violent protests,and I would be attacked because I was wearing my uniform.

One of my favorite parts was when they took me to a popular "hippy area" in town late in the afternoon,and showed me all the "hippies" being dropped off in full costume by Mercedes and Lincoln driving parents.

When I went back through San Francisco a couple of years later,I even ran into a couple of them on Market Street that I remembered,and they even remembered my name and invited me to stay with them again. Great people. We had different viewpoints about the war,but they were willing to listen to mine and anxious to hear it because they flat told me they knew the media was slanting the news and nobody was hearing both sides of any discussions.

The ones to watch out for were the "professional tv hippies" who were in reality nothing more than Communist Agitators looking to start a violent revolution to turn America into a communist country.

REAL hippies wanted nothing to do with them.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 06:36:35 pm »

Do NOT denigrate the REAL hippies of the 60's. GREAT people to talk and visit with.
[...]
The ones to watch out for were the "professional tv hippies" who were in reality nothing more than Communist Agitators looking to start a violent revolution to turn America into a communist country.

REAL hippies wanted nothing to do with them.

@sneakypete
This is gonna sound a mite funny coming from a declared redneck... Rednecks, whose disdain of hippies is legendary... But there is a fair share of hippies that turned hillbilly... Their communal nature, as originally espoused, found solace in typical country living, folks helping each other out as they do...
They're alright. Good folks. Their women tend to know plants and foraging better than most, and they tend to make medicine... That they are hippies is not the point. That they are hillbilly is.

Same goes with bikers, btw... For all that I loved kickin their butts (and they mine), as a whole, great folks. Square shooting and fair, if a little hard core. Many of my friends wear gypsy leather, and no one would be surprised to see a Harley parked in my yard.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2019, 06:46:22 pm »
@sneakypete
This is gonna sound a mite funny coming from a declared redneck... Rednecks, whose disdain of hippies is legendary... But there is a fair share of hippies that turned hillbilly... Their communal nature, as originally espoused, found solace in typical country living, folks helping each other out as they do...
They're alright. Good folks. Their women tend to know plants and foraging better than most, and they tend to make medicine... That they are hippies is not the point. That they are hillbilly is.

Same goes with bikers, btw... For all that I loved kickin their butts (and they mine), as a whole, great folks. Square shooting and fair, if a little hard core. Many of my friends wear gypsy leather, and no one would be surprised to see a Harley parked in my yard.

@roamer-1

Doesn't sound funny to me at all. It makes perfect sense. It's all about live and let live,which is the basic premise that America was built around.

I built my first "chopper" in 1969. A 1952 panhead. My second one came along in 73-74. A 1940 knuckle with a 3/4 rake and 15 over springer that had the factory racing cam in it,along with a SU carb and pan wheels,rods,pistons,and cylinders. I currently have a 76 FLH fatbob sitting out in my shop. The pan and the knuckle were both stolen,and I will kill any SOB graveyard dead that even tries to touch the shovel without my permission.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 07:09:30 pm »
Doesn't sound funny to me at all. It makes perfect sense. It's all about live and let live,which is the basic premise that America was built around.

That's right. Turns out that I can put up with a helluva lot that makes you stink when I find out you are there with a hand to lend when my ass is in a jamb. And that is easy to reciprocate.

I built my first "chopper" in 1969. A 1952 panhead. My second one came along in 73-74. A 1940 knuckle with a 3/4 rake and 15 over springer that had the factory racing cam in it,along with a SU carb and pan wheels,rods,pistons,and cylinders. I currently have a 76 FLH fatbob sitting out in my shop. The pan and the knuckle were both stolen,and I will kill any SOB graveyard dead that even tries to touch the shovel without my permission.

Heeheehee... I know what all that is... but mostly tangentially...
But when it's 90 degrees and you are sitting on the side of the road with that silly little leather tool kit rolled out, I'll be that big dumb redneck that pulls his pickup over, gets out, reaches into the cooler in the back to toss you a beer, and ask if you wanna stuff that POS into the truck and get back to town.

I might get a Harley again one day. I like lonely road with my face in the wind. I know what that is. But for the most part, I like my butt wrapped in steel. I drive hard, and like I do, four wheels are better than two. And I am lucky I found that out, or I'd have been dead a long time ago.
 :beer:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 07:16:48 pm »
I knew quite a few of them.  Mostly not nice people, BYMMV.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 07:48:29 pm »
@truth_seeker

Santana is one of the few Woodstock performers who can still perform.  Friend of mine saw him in New Orleans back in May and said he was awesome.

@Applewood @sneakypete
Many of them can't perform, since they have died. Carlos Santana just turned 72 years of age.

Joe Cocker, Richie Havens, now dead, became quite populaar based on their live performances at Woodstock.

Santana likewise. He made a video interview, where he credits Bil Graham with helping his career, by getting him to appear at Woodstack. Carlos said they had not been east of Phoenix, before that. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:53:20 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online berdie

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 08:33:13 pm »
@Applewood @sneakypete
Many of them can't perform, since they have died. Carlos Santana just turned 72 years of age.

Joe Cocker, Richie Havens, now dead, became quite populaar based on their live performances at Woodstock.

Santana likewise. He made a video interview, where he credits Bil Graham with helping his career, by getting him to appear at Woodstack. Carlos said they had not been east of Phoenix, before that. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Santana also said he was so high he doesn't remember being there.  But you are right so many are dead or so old they really can't sing or preform anymore.  Or maybe the audience just ain't high enough and they always sounded like they do now?

Online berdie

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 08:36:18 pm »
Oh I dunno @berdie ... I keep on looking for Mayberry RFD... And sometimes I find it.

I'm glad you find it from time to time @roamer_1 .  I look for Mayberry myself. I've decided it has to do with the innocence of youth...not the locale.