Author Topic: Woodstock 50 Officially Off  (Read 9126 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: Woodstock 50 Officially Off
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2019, 02:11:19 pm »
Best thing that happened at Woodstock, was Pete Townshend whacking Abbie Hoffman with his guitar.
It's a pity he didn't crack his skull wide open. I wasn't exactly broken up when the news about Hoffman's suicide broke. He thought the young people who loved rock music and dope would be natural revolutionaries.
 It turned out that  99% of them just liked the music and the drugs. Even now I'm sure many of them just like the music and don't do drugs.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2019, 02:25:44 pm »
Heh. The music that I listened to as a teen was god-awful. That was when all the angry hip-hop started to go mainstream, the things like Jay-Z and all. I hated it. Plus, the angry punks like Green Day... and Nickelback. Ugh. So much bad Canadian music. (Though Barenaked Ladies, I like their sound.)

'Course, I lived in the sticks. There was one "hot AC" station in the nearest big city 40-50 miles away that came in pretty clear but it repeated songs every few hours and got old quick. The other choices we had were oldies, country, classic rock, public radio, or "contemporary Christian." The ten million iterations of singing "I love you Jesus, you're so great" was just about as bad—so I avoided that like the plague. My parents were big into classic rock so I got exposed to quite a bit of that. But I personally went on to develop appreciation for the classic country, oldies (60s/70s especially, though I eventually warmed to 50s... still not a big fan of a lot of 80s stuff they call "classic") and jazz, just from the choices I had. I still tend to prefer older music, but I try to keep things diverse.
For many years I listened almost exclusively to Irish-Celtic folk music from bands like The Bothy Band, DeDanaan, Altan, and a lot more. There were some Scottish folk bands in there as well like The Tannahill Weavers and some others.
 Or what is called old timey music like Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Tony Rice, and a number of others who were flat-picking guitar masters. I wanted to be able to play my guitar as well as they did or still do. Let's just say I never got there, although I can pick fairly fast when my hands are feeling good.
I also at one point listened to quite a bit of classical music. I still get excited listening to Beethoven's Ninth or Bach's Brandenberg Concertos. I like a lot of Bach.
There's a lot of great music out there other than rock and roll.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2019, 03:37:22 pm »
It's a pity he didn't crack his skull wide open. I wasn't exactly broken up when the news about Hoffman's suicide broke. He thought the young people who loved rock music and dope would be natural revolutionaries.
 It turned out that  99% of them just liked the music and the drugs. Even now I'm sure many of them just like the music and don't do drugs.

I think even today, people attend festivals for the music and nothing else.  For example, for many years, a friend and I used to go to Farm Aid.  Now my friend is a liberal, so she believes in the cause and all the other liberal baloney attached to it.  I don't.  In fact, much of the time, the supposed purpose of Farm Aid -- helping family farmers -- took a back seat to other whacked out liberal theories, like using vegetable oil in your vehicle to save the environment.  I'd tune out the standard lefty BS and just listen to the music.  And some years there was some really good music. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2019, 03:41:37 pm »
[...] took a back seat to other whacked out liberal theories, like using vegetable oil in your vehicle to save the environment.

Hey, I'd do that... But y'all don't have any idea what would happen to me if everywhere I went it smelled like french fries... Gasoline is better for my health.  :whistle:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2019, 03:44:12 pm »
Hey, I'd do that... But y'all don't have any idea what would happen to me if everywhere I went it smelled like french fries... Gasoline is better for my health.  :whistle:

:silly:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2019, 07:33:09 pm »
  Tony Bennett stills sounds remarkably good at age ninety.

@goatprairie

Tony Bennett is pretty much an exception to any rule you can think off. I am beginning to suspect he is Keef Richards daddy.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2019, 02:39:26 am »
Hollywood Bowl, Oct. 6th

Van Morrison and special guest Melody Gardot.

A rare chance, since both of them perform mostly in Europe.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2019, 02:52:17 am »
Hollywood Bowl, Oct. 6th

Van Morrison and special guest Melody Gardot.

A rare chance, since both of them perform mostly in Europe.

@truth_seeker

DAYUM! I don't really go to concerts anymore,but that's one I would go to if it were anywhere near.

For those of you who don't know or have forgotten the magic he can produce,give a listen to these two songs.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2019, 03:20:37 am »
@truth_seeker

DAYUM! I don't really go to concerts anymore,but that's one I would go to if it were anywhere near.
e
Van the Man, An hour, 2008 with Georgie Fame @sneakypete

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:21:24 am by truth_seeker »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2019, 03:32:45 am »
Van Morrison live at Eden Project -2017 (exented version)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2019, 03:39:04 am »
Melody Gardot - Au Chateau d'Herouville (2018)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2019, 04:03:23 am »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2019, 09:13:23 am »
I know what I'd rather smell like in Grizzly country....French Fries ain't it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2019, 11:49:13 am »
 ****slapping
I know what I'd rather smell like in Grizzly country....French Fries ain't it.

LOL! Yeah, that's right.

Online berdie

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2019, 10:08:27 pm »
I am truly happy that so many on this thread had a positive experience with "Van the Man".

It makes me feel better that my experience was so crummy. He could have been having an off night. We all do. :laugh:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2019, 12:50:07 am »
I am truly happy that so many on this thread had a positive experience with "Van the Man".

It makes me feel better that my experience was so crummy. He could have been having an off night. We all do. :laugh:

@berdie

I wish I could remember the name,but several years ago there was a special show on PBS about rock musicians and music that was filmed in Ireland. Van Morrison and I THINK the chick who sang "To Sir With Love"  (LuLu?) were the organizers. The concept was to invite famous rock/blues singers to this big,pretty open,wooden building,and let them sing one of more of their original songs with only non-electric instruments played by themselves or their bands. ONE TAKE ONLY. If it sucks,sucks goes down in history as their no-frills,no-fine tuning live performance.

I THINK the building may have been a church at one point in time,to give you some idea about the open space for sound to travel in.

I was almost as surprised at some of the people who showed up for it as I was the ones that turned the offer down.

And to be fair,both Van Morrison and LuLu did one of their numbers live so people at home could judge them.

I think what pushed this was Van Morrison was ticked at all the musicians (probably punk rockers) he was seeing on the road who couldn't really sing on play without a truck load of electronic "help".

I tuned in after it started,but I am here to tell you the people that showed up,showed up to play!

I have often wished I knew the title of that show so I could watch it again from the beginning. Besides the music,it recorded the various musicians playing songs with each other during breaks,talking,and just generally having a good time. I think someone was even cooking for them.They had all known each other for years,and were obviously having a blast.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 12:53:17 am by sneakypete »

Online berdie

« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2019, 07:48:12 pm »
Much like you @sneakypete .  I watched and remember the show.  But I can't remember the name either.