Author Topic: Mexico froze accounts with $280m linked to a cartel (El Mencho)  (Read 189 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The major bad guy in Mexico now that Chapo is in jail, is a fellow called "Mencho",  apparently once part of the Sinaloa cartel, now fights against it and are called Nueva Generacion - New Generation. In a similar way, the Zetas were once the armed part of the Gulf Cartel, they split from that.

Mexico froze accounts with $280m linked to a cartel
By Adry Torres For Dailymail.com

Mexican authorities freeze bank accounts where the country's most powerful drug cartel have hidden $280million in assets

Mexico's Treasury Department identified hundreds of bank accounts linked to the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, the most powerful cartel in the country 

At least $280million was frozen across several financial institutions

The money deposited in the account was recorded during the first seventh months of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador term in office

The Jalisco New Generation Cartel is led by Nemesio 'El Mencho' Oseguera Cervantes

El Mencho is one of the 10 most-wanted men on the FBI's list and the U.S. Department of Justice is also offering a $10million reward for his arrest 

Published: 13:56 EDT, 15 July 2019 | Updated: 13:56 EDT, 15 July 2019

Mexico's Treasury department froze $4.600 Mexican billion pesos [$240 million USD] plus an additional $40million in the accounts which it estimated are tied to the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, which is led by Nemesio 'El Mencho' Oseguera Cervantes

The Mexican government froze nearly $280million deposited in bank accounts mostly belonging the country's most powerful cartel.

Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7248861/Mexican-authorities-froze-bank-accounts-280m-linked-countrys-powerful-cartel.html

The above was 9 days ago but note this in the past few days:
Monday, July 22, 2019
Mencho's blacklist: killings begin
Chivis Martinez Borderland Beat-Thank You Char

The blacklist of 'El Mencho' ...  the hunting by the Jalisco Nueva Generación Cartel begins, of officials in the Office of the Prosecutor; 2 dead

A macabre attack against officials of the Attorney General of the State of Jalisco started with an anonymous message

The Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG), led by Nemesio Oseguera Cervantes (El Mencho), has its "blacklist" of objectives in the Attorney General office of that State.

Between 10 and 15 "officials of the state government and some municipalities is in the sights  of the organized crime group, said Jalisco prosecutor Gerardo Octavio Solis, who acknowledged that the attacks against three agents of the prosecution last Friday, that caused the death of two of them, were part of a strategy in which the perpetrators "fell short".

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2019/07/menchos-blacklist-killings-begin.html

So, a few weeks ago, we argued about what the Cartels controlled per government, they may have a lock on a fair amount of the government but I can't see it as being total. This story is about the New Generation Cartel going after government officials.

So, I haven't used a threaded title from Borderlandbeat.com , they are pretty good, they mainly translate from Mexican news and elsewhere and do not seem quite like a normal news agency but they come up with stunning articles. For a lot of their workers, it seems to be a labor of love mainly. Sometimes, graphic as well and that has scared me away from using them as a source, real funky stuff going on down there.

I think they just said there was a type of massacre of police officers recently down there, perhaps Juarez and now, the police are protesting per lack of security for themselves. Could have been somewhere else.

Over the weekend, I ran into an older man from Matamoros, maybe once upon a time, it was decent and safe enough, but he told me right now, it was really bad and I assume he's talking mainly about the way it has been with the start up of the cartel wars.

More reading, Rolling Stone, "The brutal rise of El Mencho":
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/the-brutal-rise-of-el-mencho-196980/

"Meet El Mencho":
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/billionaire-news/el-mencho-mexicos-rising-number-1-drug-lord-el-chapos-absence/

These people have all the money in the world, they've got their foot-soldiers, they probably have a lot of workers here in the USA, mainly Mexican, what these people don't have though, is they virtually can not go anywhere and enjoying their wealth seems limited.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:34:55 am by TomSea »