Author Topic: Is the Royal Navy too small to deal with Iranian threat?  (Read 591 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Is the Royal Navy too small to deal with Iranian threat?
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:52:03 pm »
Is the Royal Navy too small to deal with Iranian threat?

The Royal Navy is too small to counter the potential threat from Iran, the defence minister has admitted.

Tobias Ellwood told The Times: “The threats we’re facing are changing in front of us, the world is getting more complex. If we are wanting to continue to play this influential role on the international stage it will require further funding for our armed forces, not least the Royal Navy. Our Royal Navy is too small to manage our interests across the globe.”

The news comes after it emerged that Tehran had ignored warnings from a British warship against seizing a UK-flagged tanker in the Gulf. The Stena Impero and her 23-strong crew are being held by Iranian forces after they were taken on Friday while passing through the Strait of Hormuz.

Continued at: https://www.theweek.co.uk/102362/is-the-royal-navy-too-small-to-deal-with-iranian-threat

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Is the Royal Navy too small to deal with Iranian threat?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 02:52:25 pm »
Yes.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 03:02:25 pm »
The UK has all the fire power it needs to blow up the Abadan refinery.  Do that, and Iran will be crippled.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 04:45:00 pm »
The article asks the wrong question.  Does the government of UK have the will? 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:47:09 pm »

Not for a very very long time

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, ..."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 04:50:24 pm »
Too Muslim.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 05:08:14 pm »

While I do think the RN's assets may be too few, I think this is a more immediate question. The RN might be able to cobble together a significant response if they send most of their fleet, with appropriate assault forces, to the area. But the political will to take those risks has to be there before that can happen.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 06:05:10 pm »
Britain Calls for European Naval Mission to Counter Iran’s “Piracy”
https://gcaptain.com/britain-to-seek-european-maritime-mission-to-counter-irans-piracy/
July 22, 2019

Britain called on Monday for a European-led naval mission to ensure safe shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, days after Iran seized a British-flagged tanker in what London described as an act of “state piracy.”

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt outlined the plans to parliament after a meeting of COBR, the government’s emergency committee, which discussed London’s response to Friday’s capture of the Stena Impero tanker by Iranian commandos at sea.

“Under international law Iran had no right to obstruct the ship’s passage – let alone board her. It was therefore an act of state piracy,” Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt told parliament.

“We will now seek to put together a European-led maritime protection mission to support safe passage of both crew and cargo in this vital region,” Hunt said....

- - - - - - - - - - -

Brexit.....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 08:40:37 pm »
Ummmm, OK. France's lone aircraft carrier is a sometimes-sea-going reliability problem. They have 3 amphibious assault ships and 14 frigates (only five of which are general purpose; the rest are air protection or anti-submarine). French SSBMs and SSNs seem so specialized as to be marginally useful. The German navy has 3 general purpose frigates, 2 of which will soon be retired, plus some that are specialized, and 6 diesel-electric attack submarines (SSKs) which seem marginally useful. Italy actually has a couple of light carriers (Harriers and/or F-35s), a mix of 17 destroyers and frigates of general and specialized purpose, and 8 small SSKs that are basically anti-shipping or anti-submarine (like the French and German SSNs and SSKs).

EU countries' navies are very obviously sized and purposed with the idea that the USN will range the oceans and EU naval forces will be defending smaller areas and be mostly specialized purpose. There are no equivalents to USN Arleigh Burke DDGs, Ticonderoga class CGs, Los Angeles, Seawolf, and Virginia class SSNs (attack submarines), or Nimitz class CVNs. Italian amphibious assault ships are only capable of carrying helicopters, not equivalent to the USN's Wasp class, which can carry Harriers or F-35s as well as helicopters.

Pretty much any large sized and/or sustained effort against Iran will be dependent on US participation.

Frankly, I think Iran is playing a game of geopolitical chicken, betting that Russia will make the US and Europeans very reluctant to act meaningfully. And betting that the American and European public will not support meaningful action.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:45:08 pm »
Yes.

No, because you can bet money the Yanks will be alongside.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:01:20 pm »
Pompeo on Iran’s capture of British-flagged tanker: Up to ‘United Kingdom to take care of their ships’
https://www.foxnews.com/world/pompeo-says-uk-must-free-captured-tanker

The responsibility to free the British-flagged oil tanker seized last week by Iran “falls to the United Kingdom,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told "Fox & Friends" Monday, while warning the “whole world is waking up to the fact that this [Iranian] threat is real.”

The comments from Pompeo come as British Prime Minister Theresa May issued a fresh call for Iran to release the Stena Impero ship and its 23-person crew. The vessel, which was captured Friday in the Strait of Hormuz, currently is anchored outside the Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas.

“The responsibility…falls to the United Kingdom to take care of their ships,” Pompeo said when asked what role the U.S should play in the matter. “This is a bad regime. It’s not honoring the people of Iran. They have now conducted what amounts to national piracy – a nation-state taking over a ship that’s traveling in international waters.”...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 09:18:38 pm »
Pompeo on Iran’s capture of British-flagged tanker: Up to ‘United Kingdom to take care of their ships’
https://www.foxnews.com/world/pompeo-says-uk-must-free-captured-tanker

The responsibility to free the British-flagged oil tanker seized last week by Iran “falls to the United Kingdom,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told "Fox & Friends" Monday, while warning the “whole world is waking up to the fact that this [Iranian] threat is real.”

The comments from Pompeo come as British Prime Minister Theresa May issued a fresh call for Iran to release the Stena Impero ship and its 23-person crew. The vessel, which was captured Friday in the Strait of Hormuz, currently is anchored outside the Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas.

“The responsibility…falls to the United Kingdom to take care of their ships,” Pompeo said when asked what role the U.S should play in the matter. “This is a bad regime. It’s not honoring the people of Iran. They have now conducted what amounts to national piracy – a nation-state taking over a ship that’s traveling in international waters.”...
Translation, talk shit about America and its President and this is what happens, reap what you sow.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 10:39:03 pm »
Cyber asks:
"The article asks the wrong question.  Does the government of UK have the will?"

See my post from a few days' back:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,369075.msg2014215.html#msg2014215
I believe I called it right.
Britain probably isn't going to do anything.

Aside:
That's why I would no longer call that country "Great" Britain.
Those times are long, long past.
These days, it's just "Britain" or "the UK".
And how much longer before it becomes... Britanistan...?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 11:08:30 pm »

And saying it's because they don't have the ships is stupid.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 12:36:28 am »
Cyber asks:
"The article asks the wrong question.  Does the government of UK have the will?"

See my post from a few days' back:
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,369075.msg2014215.html#msg2014215

Aside:
That's why I would no longer call that country "Great" Britain.
Those times are long, long past.
These days, it's just "Britain" or "the UK".
And how much longer before it becomes... Britanistan...?

I believe 'Britanistan' is already the reality...the U.S. truly needs to awaken to avoid the same.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 01:08:54 am »
And saying it's because they don't have the ships is stupid.

pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 01:13:24 am »
Britain Calls for European Naval Mission to Counter Iran’s “Piracy”
https://gcaptain.com/britain-to-seek-european-maritime-mission-to-counter-irans-piracy/
July 22, 2019

Britain called on Monday for a European-led naval mission to ensure safe shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, days after Iran seized a British-flagged tanker in what London described as an act of “state piracy.”

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt outlined the plans to parliament after a meeting of COBR, the government’s emergency committee, which discussed London’s response to Friday’s capture of the Stena Impero tanker by Iranian commandos at sea.

“Under international law Iran had no right to obstruct the ship’s passage – let alone board her. It was therefore an act of state piracy,” Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt told parliament.

“We will now seek to put together a European-led maritime protection mission to support safe passage of both crew and cargo in this vital region,” Hunt said....

- - - - - - - - - - -

Brexit.....

Yep.  The Brits on the left have pissed off Trump, those on the right have pissed off Europe, and now they need some help.

I don't know which country is in a bigger mess, the US or the UK.  But I sometimes tell work colleagues from the UK that if the landed lords of 1215 had foreseen how representative government among the English-speaking peoples was going to work out, they might not have forced Magna Carta on King John.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:15:37 am by HoustonSam »
James 1:20

Offline Absalom

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 01:18:57 am »
The British Empire expired in 1916 and
the Royal Navy shortly thereafter.
Some badly need to get real!!!!