Author Topic: Ebola outbreak in Congo declared a global health emergency  (Read 417 times)

Offline libertybele

Ebola outbreak in Congo declared a global health emergency
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:24:40 pm »
Meanwhile ... our borders are still wide open and there have been reports that some of them aren't even being screened for diseases.

Ebola outbreak in Congo declared a global health emergency

The deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo is now an international health emergency, the World Health Organization announced Wednesday after a case was confirmed in a city of 2 million people .

A WHO expert committee declined on three previous occasions to advise the United Nations health agency to make the declaration for this outbreak, even though other experts say it has long met the required conditions. More than 1,600 people have died since August in the second-deadliest Ebola outbreak in history, which is unfolding in a region described as a war zone.

A declaration of a global health emergency often brings greater international attention and aid, along with concerns that nervous governments might overreact with border closures.

The declaration comes days after a single case was confirmed in Goma, a major regional crossroads in northeastern Congo on the Rwandan border, with an international airport. Also, a sick Congolese fish trader traveled to Uganda and back while symptomatic — and later died of Ebola.

While the risk of regional spread remains high, the risk outside the region remains low, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said after the announcement in Geneva.

The international emergency "should not be used to stigmatize or penalize the very people who are most in need of our help," he said. Tedros insisted that the declaration was not made to raise more money — even though WHO estimated "hundreds of millions" of dollars would be needed to stop the epidemic.

Dr. Joanne Liu, president of Doctors Without Borders, said she hoped the emergency designation would prompt a radical reset of Ebola response efforts.

"The reality check is that a year into the epidemic, it's still not under control, and we are not where we should be," she said. "We cannot keep doing the same thing and expect different results.".......

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ebola-outbreak-congo-declared-global-175202499.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

Re: Ebola outbreak in Congo declared a global health emergency
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 11:39:48 pm »
@libertybele

The article says this news of this outbreak may make "nervous" countries close their boarders.
We should be one of these "nervous" countries and close our southern border.  One sick Ebola person crossing our border puts all the country at risk for Ebola.  Where is our U.S. Department of Health and Human Services?

I haven't heard anything from our HHS about health concerns of these people coming into our country.  Maybe I overlooked it?  That could be.  No, I have not gone to their web site so maybe it is there, or not?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 11:43:53 pm »
@libertybele

The article says this news of this outbreak may make "nervous" countries close their boarders.
We should be one of these "nervous" countries and close our southern border.  One sick Ebola person crossing our border puts all the country at risk for Ebola.  Where is our U.S. Department of Health and Human Services?

I haven't heard anything from our HHS about health concerns of these people coming into our country.  Maybe I overlooked it?  That could be.  No, I have not gone to their web site so maybe it is there, or not?

That would compromise their ‘it’s all the anti-vaxxers fault’ narrative.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 05:01:32 pm »
There are hundreds coming from the Congo and sneaking across our southern border.  It is only a matter of time before it spreads to the USA and Europe.

The problem is that the moronic population in Congo believe the healthcare workers are the ones spreading the disease, and they are killing the healthcare workers.  Last count I saw was 58 dead healthcare workers.  This is part of the reason this outbreak has not been elevated to a higher international crisis.

The CDC is looking for Americans to go to the Congo, but unless they are surrounded by a contingent of Marines, we are putting these folks' lives in danger.  Congo is a war zone.  You have militant groups left to run free to wreck havoc on everyone in their path.

This crisis is a sh*t sandwich that will have severe negative results.  The fan blades are turning and on high.  The mortality rate of this version of ebola is 68%+.  When it hits our shores, people will die.  Every death will be on the shoulders of those in Congress who have failed to protect our southern border. 

The other thing to know is that it is the USA footing the bill for all the foreign medical care, and that is getting old too.  The USA funds virtually all the work being done by WHO in addition to the CDC, who are the two leading groups attempting to help on these outbreaks.  The rest of the world is virtually absent.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:00:05 am »
There are hundreds coming from the Congo and sneaking across our southern border.  It is only a matter of time before it spreads to the USA and Europe.

The problem is that the moronic population in Congo believe the healthcare workers are the ones spreading the disease, and they are killing the healthcare workers.  Last count I saw was 58 dead healthcare workers.  This is part of the reason this outbreak has not been elevated to a higher international crisis.

The CDC is looking for Americans to go to the Congo, but unless they are surrounded by a contingent of Marines, we are putting these folks' lives in danger.  Congo is a war zone.  You have militant groups left to run free to wreck havoc on everyone in their path.

This crisis is a sh*t sandwich that will have severe negative results.  The fan blades are turning and on high.  The mortality rate of this version of ebola is 68%+.  When it hits our shores, people will die.  Every death will be on the shoulders of those in Congress who have failed to protect our southern border. 

The other thing to know is that it is the USA footing the bill for all the foreign medical care, and that is getting old too.  The USA funds virtually all the work being done by WHO in addition to the CDC, who are the two leading groups attempting to help on these outbreaks.  The rest of the world is virtually absent.
Medicines sans Frontiers (Doctors without Borders) was very active in the Liberian/Sierra Leone/Guinea outbreak a few years ago. But the Congo has ever been its own mess.

I agree that failure to close the southern border to infiltration will continue to harm us, whether it be this disease or another.

I have noticed how the information which showed EV D-68 primarily being known in Central America has been pretty much scrubbed from the web. Prior to the 'migrant trains', it was extremely rare in the US. Someone is controlling the narrative and the data.https://www.vox.com/2014/10/7/6926195/evd68-enterovirus-d68-outbreak-symptoms-ebola
https://www.vox.com/2014/9/8/6122471/what-we-know-about-the-new-enterovirus-outbreak-virus

Of course, these articles fail to identify a source for the sudden widespread outbreak in the US (43 States), back in 2014, and it was politically incorrect to note that the virus came in with all those poor waifs who just happened to show up at our border at the same time. ...https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/bombshell-claim-deadly-enterovirus-d68-first-identified-in-cities-that-have-one-significant-thing-in-common and https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2014/09/connecting_the_dots_on_enterovirus_evd68_spreading_among_our_children.html

I must also note that EV D-68 has killed more of our kids than Ebola has killed people here, although the rate with Ebola is 2 out of 9 dead, only two caught it here (health care workers).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:21:55 pm »
jafo wrote:
"This crisis is a sh*t sandwich that will have severe negative results.  The fan blades are turning and on high.  The mortality rate of this version of ebola is 68%+.  When it hits our shores, people will die.  Every death will be on the shoulders of those in Congress who have failed to protect our southern border."

I sense your predictions will prove true.

Could this become the disaster that FINALLY wakes up the American people, with the demand that the government close the southern border?

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 12:05:07 am »
Smokin Joe....Yes, Doctors without Borders were there, but no where near the numbers of CDC folks.  It was the CDC and the WHO that brought the last outbreak to an end. 

The Chinese came in after the outbreak was over.  And the Russians had a total of two people there that I am aware of.  The Brits had folks helping in Sierra Leone too, but tiny numbers compared to the responsibility the USA shouldered.