Concentrate on getting reelected
3 (20%)
POS, should go away
6 (40%)
Keep sticking it to the Man
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: July 14, 2019, 11:15:43 pm

Author Topic: Amash quits Republican Party  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Amash quits Republican Party
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 03:00:37 pm »
Hope he doesn't let the door hit him in the azz on his way out!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2019, 03:01:40 pm »
IMHO, it is the FED that is in our business and if we are to survive our rights must be reclaimed and returned at the state level. That is why I was hoping for a Convention of States.  It is too late, because of the shift to liberal leadership in some states during the mid terms, clearly beginning the exodus from those states into states more conservative with less taxes, etc.
@libertybele
I meant "the State" along the line of the distinction Albert Jay Nock drew in his 1935 anti-statism classic, Our Enemy, the State, not "the State" in terms of the individual states of the U.S. And anyone who thinks the federal government is the only government in the United States poking its nose far too often into individual Americans' business should think again. Hard.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 03:13:25 pm »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 03:15:15 pm »
Meh. Amash's record is all hat no cattle.

And his rants about the Republican party are off the reservation.

Would it be that the DC GOP actually had some partisanship, and some spine.

Anyone who doesn't recognize the dangers of today's Democratic Party needs to be gone.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 03:16:32 pm »
What's that old saying?  It's something like:  if you shoot at the king, don't miss??  (Calm down, the word "king" isn't literal)

It sure sounds lofty when Amash says he's leaving the Republican Party because he's "disenchanted with party politics and frightened by what I see from it".   Well, what's frightening the hell out of him is how badly he's losing in the primary fight for his Congressional seat.  It appears folks don't like it when you shoot to politically kill the POTUS, who is also the leader of your own Party.

Amash shot and missed.  There's nothing more to his abdication than he is now paying the price.

It's the same reason Flake went rogue,  he saw his poll numbers in the dumps, so he went "scorched Earth."

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2019, 03:18:53 pm »
He is a 92% Conservative according to Conservative review.
He also leans libertarian.

He is one of the last canaries in the coal mine.
It is perilous.

But the Libertarian Party has drifted to the Left over time, so I'm not sure they would welcome Amash.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2019, 03:22:14 pm »
Anyone who doesn't recognize the dangers of today's Democratic Party needs to be gone.

No freaking joke.

The Commie takeover of the Dems starting around '68 has been completed. They are now full fledged, sorched earth witch burners right to the top of their leadership in the party and Congress both.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2019, 03:22:23 pm »
But the Libertarian Party has drifted to the Left over time, so I'm not sure they would welcome Amash.

I meant civil-libertarian. Goldwater/Reagan. Like me and dang near everyone else west of the Mississippi.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2019, 03:28:03 pm »
@dfwgator
The LP wouldn't take him (and he probably wouldn't take it, either), but it's wise to remember that libertarianism is not the exclusive province of the LP and, when you see "libertarian" with a lower-case "l," you can assume safely the comment has absolutely nothing to do with the LP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2019, 03:34:23 pm »
True. Nowadays, labels like liberal, libertarian, even conservative don't always accurately describe a person's beliefs.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2019, 03:39:53 pm »
True. Nowadays, labels like liberal, libertarian, even conservative don't always accurately describe a person's beliefs.
A National Review writer offered a splendid example of that a couple of years ago . . .

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2019, 03:46:54 pm »

Allahpundit   @allahpundit
If Amash runs for president as the Libertarian nominee next year, does he get more or fewer votes than Gary Johnson got in 2016?
11:27 AM - 4 Jul 2019

GOP Pouncer   @Mellecon
GOP Pouncer Retweeted Allahpundit
He’d have probably gotten mine, but this has turned into a Trump type ego tantrum. Also, his complete glossing over the misuse of FISA is disconcerting coming from a Libertarian
11:40 AM - 4 Jul 2019
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2019, 03:47:24 pm »
Amash has been making a lot of noise lately about Trump and the Republican Party in general, so I figured sooner or later he would quit the party and possibly run for president -- if not in 2020, then perhaps in 2024.  Usually, when a politician is giving out sound bytes to  the media like this, it's not necessarily that he believes what he is saying, but rather, giving himself some good PR to help his political campaign, either now or sometime down the road. 

I don't know how I feel about Amash.   He might be an ok guy, but I don't know.  Not sure I would vote for him if he were to run for president.  I'd have to hear what he has to say about the issues, not what he says about Trump. 

People are crowing about him, calling him a traitor and such.   I say that's bovine excrement.  He doesn't have to be in lockstep with every other politician.  Doesn't make Amash a bad guy just because he disagrees.  I just hope he is not stuck on one issue --  his dislike for Trump.    He had better have more to offer if he aspires to higher office.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2019, 04:32:53 pm »

Yep, the Constitutional Party (which I like) ran a candidate that to me didn't fit the party description the last election. The Libertarian Party did the same. You would figure those parties would get people that represent them a little more closely, but alas it didn't happen. 
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2019, 04:33:40 pm »
Allahpundit   @allahpundit
If Amash runs for president as the Libertarian nominee next year, does he get more or fewer votes than Gary Johnson got in 2016?

11:27 AM - 4 Jul 2019

I don’t see what difference that makes. As far as I know, Perot is still the candidate who got the most third-party votes. That doesn’t mean he would’ve been a good president.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2019, 04:36:00 pm »
Amash has been making a lot of noise lately about Trump and the Republican Party in general, so I figured sooner or later he would quit the party and possibly run for president -- if not in 2020, then perhaps in 2024.  Usually, when a politician is giving out sound bytes to  the media like this, it's not necessarily that he believes what he is saying, but rather, giving himself some good PR to help his political campaign, either now or sometime down the road. 

I don't know how I feel about Amash.   He might be an ok guy, but I don't know.  Not sure I would vote for him if he were to run for president.  I'd have to hear what he has to say about the issues, not what he says about Trump. 

People are crowing about him, calling him a traitor and such.   I say that's bovine excrement.  He doesn't have to be in lockstep with every other politician.  Doesn't make Amash a bad guy just because he disagrees.  I just hope he is not stuck on one issue --  his dislike for Trump.    He had better have more to offer if he aspires to higher office.

What matters most to any Representative is winning the next election.  The day Amash announced he wants to Impeach Trump was the day he got a worthy challenger for the Primary.  It comes as no surprise to me he's fleeing the GOP.  He went Jeffy Flake on his constituents.  I expect him to use the balance of his term bashing Trump at every turn, fair or not.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2019, 05:24:30 pm »
Adios MF, and good riddance.

Private sector Trump is far better than attorney/government hack Amash.

Trump has been President for just over two years. He has accomplished a lot, but much more remains.

Amash has been an ambitious elected politician since 2008-eleven years.

--During his initial tenure in the State House, Amash sponsored five resolutions and twelve bills, but none of them passed.

He is an opportunist and a quitter. Picking July 4th for max media.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2019, 05:30:31 pm »

If his intent is to run for political office, does he think he's going to have a chance @ a 3rd party run??  Certainly he can't run under the GOP umbrella, because that's the party that he's proclaiming is offensive.

2020 running against Trump he'd be a fool and only hurt the GOP and help the DEMS.  2024 perhaps, but again a 3rd party run for him would be highly unsuccessful.  Perhaps he's thinking of challenging Trump??  Good luck with that one. 

I've said this before, in order for a 3rd party to be successful, there would have to be a mass exodus of people like Cruz, Paul, Jordan, etc., joining a party such as the Constitution Party and making a run for it under their umbrella.  I think it feasible, but they would have to have some extraordinary money behind them and a tremendous ground game.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2019, 05:32:11 pm »
Adios MF, and good riddance.

Private sector Trump is far better than attorney/government hack Amash.

Trump has been President for just over two years. He has accomplished a lot, but much more remains.

Amash has been an ambitious elected politician since 2008-eleven years.

--During his initial tenure in the State House, Amash sponsored five resolutions and twelve bills, but none of them passed.

He is an opportunist and a quitter. Picking July 4th for max media.

If Amash is like most congressthings, he ran for office because its good for business.

With all of these China sanctions, and considering he's heavily invested there, he realized Congress was basically going to be a dry hole.

Online corbe

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2019, 05:42:21 pm »
If his intent is to run for political office, does he think he's going to have a chance @ a 3rd party run??  Certainly he can't run under the GOP umbrella, because that's the party that he's proclaiming is offensive.

2020 running against Trump he'd be a fool and only hurt the GOP and help the DEMS.  2024 perhaps, but again a 3rd party run for him would be highly unsuccessful.  Perhaps he's thinking of challenging Trump??  Good luck with that one. 

I've said this before, in order for a 3rd party to be successful, there would have to be a mass exodus of people like Cruz, Paul, Jordan, etc., joining a party such as the Constitution Party and making a run for it under their umbrella.  I think it feasible, but they would have to have some extraordinary money behind them and a tremendous ground game.

And should have started in Jan 2017.  It's much to late to start a credible ground game now.  It's Trump's to lose and anything is possible. @libertybele
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2019, 05:51:35 pm »

He's not in it to win...Amash knows the best a third-party run can do is be a spoiler, and that's exactly what he wants to do.  Pretend he's a modern-day Ross Pea-row.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 07:26:34 pm »
"....partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I’m asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it.".......

I agree.  BOTH parties have lost their way and neither party represents the core principles and value upon which this country was founded. BOTH parties have trampled on the Constitution.  AMERICA and AMERICANS must come first again.

Unfortunately, I think we are already on the brink of losing this country.

AMERICA, what will we do without her?   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

I agree with him.  Very sad time for America
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2019, 07:34:58 pm »
What matters most to any Representative is winning the next election.  The day Amash announced he wants to Impeach Trump was the day he got a worthy challenger for the Primary.  It comes as no surprise to me he's fleeing the GOP.  He went Jeffy Flake on his constituents. I expect him to use the balance of his term bashing Trump at every turn, fair or not.

And that will doom any chance Amash may have in a run for the presidency.  Bad enough that third party candidates   and independents have a snowball's chance in hell of winning as it is.  But in order to make any kind of decent showing, a candidate needs to really stand out.  In 2020, he has to have more to offer than a distaste for Trump.  Hell, there are tons of Democrats already who don't like Trump.  That alone would just make Amash just another anti-Trump candidate.  Big wup!  Voters won't give Amash a second look.  I know I won't.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2019, 07:55:40 pm »
Trump celebrates after Amash quits GOP: 'Great news for the Republican Party'
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/451671-trump-celebrates-after-amash-quits-gop-great-news-for-the-republican

Well I have to admit I am not even going to read it.  Its sad.  Trump all this time blaming the Republican party for not supporting him.  Isn't it convenient that he has an excuse for not doing anything for more than two years with Republicans in control.  But someone leaves because of it and its a great day for him.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2019, 08:11:07 pm »

Well I have to admit I am not even going to read it.  Its sad.  Trump all this time blaming the Republican party for not supporting him.  Isn't it convenient that he has an excuse for not doing anything for more than two years with Republicans in control.  But someone leaves because of it and its a great day for him.

That tweet was just grist for the mill that feeds his base. The Trump fans I’ve met while on vacation are much more measured than those we see here at TBR and TOS. They’re more focused on potential policy outcomes than engaging in nasty arguments.

They disregard many of his tweets, calling it “Trump being Trump”, as being style over substance.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.