Concentrate on getting reelected
3 (20%)
POS, should go away
6 (40%)
Keep sticking it to the Man
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: July 14, 2019, 11:15:43 pm

Author Topic: Amash quits Republican Party  (Read 3936 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Amash quits Republican Party
« on: July 04, 2019, 10:50:42 am »
Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) on Thursday announced he's leaving the Republican Party and becoming an independent, months after igniting a political firestorm after becoming the first sitting GOP congressman to call for an impeachment inquiry against President Trump.

"Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party," Amash wrote in a Fourth of July op-ed for the Washington Post. "No matter your circumstance, I’m asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I’m asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it."

The libertarian congressman, who said he's become "disenchanted with party politics and frightened by what I see from it," argued that "the two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions."

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/451662-amash-leaves-republican-party
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Amash quits Republican Party
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 10:52:10 am »
I disagree with his opinion on impeachment, but he's absolutely correct about what he states, above.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 11:21:07 am »
I disagree with his opinion on impeachment, but he's absolutely correct about what he states, above.
Same.

The one thing that bothers me about this is that by almost all metrics, this makes the GOP as a whole just that much more liberal and sends the message that it doesn't matter how conservative you are, if you are skeptical or critical of Donald Trump, you have no place in the party... which means, since the Democrats haven't had conservatives in its ranks in decades and is moving even further left than it was, that we are unwelcome in politics as a whole.

That kind of mindset will be ruinous to our country.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 11:55:05 am »
 This is a troubling development, but I utterly understand his rationale. The Republican Party has become as useless as a bull's tits, and the Democrats are as dangerous as the horns. Enough bull.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:59:21 am »
we are unwelcome in politics as a whole.

That has been true as long as I have been alive.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 12:09:29 pm »
He is a 92% Conservative according to Conservative review.
He also leans libertarian.

He is one of the last canaries in the coal mine.
It is perilous.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 12:13:57 pm »
"....partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I’m asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it.".......

I agree.  BOTH parties have lost their way and neither party represents the core principles and value upon which this country was founded. BOTH parties have trampled on the Constitution.  AMERICA and AMERICANS must come first again.

Unfortunately, I think we are already on the brink of losing this country.

AMERICA, what will we do without her?   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 12:21:46 pm »
"....partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I’m asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it.".......

I agree.  BOTH parties have lost their way and neither party represents the core principles and value upon which this country was founded. BOTH parties have trampled on the Constitution.  AMERICA and AMERICANS must come first again.

Unfortunately, I think we are already on the brink of losing this country.

AMERICA, what will we do without her?   :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Absolutely right.

It is all about the blood feud now... with the actions and reactions jamming it all to emotional heights, and away from studied thought.  And it is unconscionable.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 12:38:39 pm »
Same.

The one thing that bothers me about this is that by almost all metrics, this makes the GOP as a whole just that much more liberal and sends the message that it doesn't matter how conservative you are, if you are skeptical or critical of Donald Trump, you have no place in the party... which means, since the Democrats haven't had conservatives in its ranks in decades and is moving even further left than it was, that we are unwelcome in politics as a whole.

That kind of mindset will be ruinous to our country.
@jmyrlefuller
@roamer_1
@edpc
@libertybele
@andy58-in-nh

One or two debatable points to one side, Mr. Amash believes generally as I believe.

And I believe in freedom.

I believe in individual rights and responsibilities.

I believe in a properly construed government, whose sole legitimate business---other than protecting and defending us from enemies actual and provably imminent from abroad and predators at home (real predators, not mere vicemongers)---is staying the hell out of your business, my business, everyone's business, until or unless one would obstruct or abrogate another's equivalent rights.

I disbelieve in the improperly-consecrated State which makes its business every damn last bit of your business, my business, everyone's business, despite being neither competent or constitutionally sanctioned to do so.

And in that order.

The Democrats don't want us, the Republicans are afraid we'll take over.

Justin Amash: Our politics is in a partisan death spiral. That’s why I’m leaving the GOP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 12:43:00 pm »
One or two debatable points to one side, Mr. Amash believes generally as I believe.

Megadittos all the way around @EasyAce
Good post!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 12:45:54 pm »
What's that old saying?  It's something like:  if you shoot at the king, don't miss??  (Calm down, the word "king" isn't literal)

It sure sounds lofty when Amash says he's leaving the Republican Party because he's "disenchanted with party politics and frightened by what I see from it".   Well, what's frightening the hell out of him is how badly he's losing in the primary fight for his Congressional seat.  It appears folks don't like it when you shoot to politically kill the POTUS, who is also the leader of your own Party.

Amash shot and missed.  There's nothing more to his abdication than he is now paying the price.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 12:49:31 pm »

BTW, @edpc ... I am actually *FOR* impeachment, if there is evidence to bring it.

I am not saying that because of my rather low assessment of Tumpy. I mean I am in favor of it ALL the time... Partisanship should never even have the appearance of masking or defending criminality.

If there is evidence, let the chips fall where they may.
And i think that is the correct opinion to have.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2019, 12:55:15 pm »
BTW, @edpc ... I am actually *FOR* impeachment, if there is evidence to bring it.

I am not saying that because of my rather low assessment of Tumpy. I mean I am in favor of it ALL the time... Partisanship should never even have the appearance of masking or defending criminality.

What crime has Trump committed?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 01:06:16 pm »
What crime has Trump committed?

I don't know. That is what impeachment is for - Indictment and presentation of the evidence.

And I don't give a crap that it's Tumpy. I would be in exactly the same place if it were Cruz or even Reagan. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 01:08:45 pm »

I'm no fan of his, but I don't see anything from the Mueller report that warrants impeachment. It's essentially the indictment and I don't see enough there to bring one. Interestingly, Amash is one of the original members of the Freedom Caucus. Not long after taking office, Trump threatened to primary these members in the 2018 midterms.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:10:16 pm by edpc »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 01:10:27 pm »
@libertybele said, "BOTH parties have lost their way and neither party represents the core principles and value upon which this country was founded. BOTH parties have trampled on the Constitution.  AMERICA and AMERICANS must come first again.  Unfortunately, I think we are already on the brink of losing this country.
AMERICA, what will we do without her?"
@roamer_1 said, "Absolutely right. It is all about the blood feud now... with the actions and reactions jamming it all to emotional heights, and away from studied thought.  And it is unconscionable.

I agree with both of you.  There are too many races here now who do not want to assimilate - these factions want to tear the US up into pieces and each piece will war against the rest as the others war against the first one and the others.  In other words, war constantly, one faction against another.

It boils down to this:
One cannot control the world, one cannot control the USA, one cannot control a state, one cannot control one's county, one cannot control one's town/city, one CAN CONTROL ONE'S FRONT YARD, BACK YARD, ONE'S HOUSE.  Owners of the house are President of the House for life.  Prepare your house/yard to sustain yourself and family.  The factions will do what they want - well, you can do what you want.

You paid for the best prepared emergency place.  It is across the street and down some - underground to get there, it is the emergency place to last for years for the president and his family and other so called "Important People", plus there is an operating room and a surgeon will be there.  You have to take care of yourself as FEMA will not do it - FEMA will not have to take care of the president as you paid for a place for him.  Now, pay for your own place.  You are as important as the president. Save yourself. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 01:30:15 pm »
I'm no fan of his, but I don't see anything from the Mueller report that warrants impeachment. It's essentially the indictment and I don't see enough there to bring one.

That's fine. Then the political disaster of falsely lining up an impeachment should prevent anything more.

Interestingly, Amash is one of the original members of the Freedom Caucus. Not long after taking office, Trump threatened to primary these members in the 2018 midterms.

Oh I know. Tumpy has never been good for actual Conservatives.
Either they were shoveled in and out the revolving door of White House appointments, embroiled in bullshit scandals without RNC/GOP assistance (D.Hunter Jr comes to mind), or removed or made toothless by attrition.

There are hardly enough to count on two hands anymore.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 02:16:35 pm »
Michigan Rep. Justin Amash leaves the GOP
by Mike Brest
 | July 04, 2019 09:16 AM

Michigan Rep. Justin Amash announced his exit from the Republican Party in an op-ed he published Thursday in the Washington Post.

In the piece, titled "Our politics is in a partisan death spiral. That's why I'm leaving the GOP," Amash, 39, says his mother and father, both immigrants to America, raised him as a Republican. But he quotes George Washington's farewell address, in which he warned of the dangers of political parties.

"Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party," he wrote. "No matter your circumstance, I'm asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I'm asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it."

He wrote that he used to believe the GOP "stood for limited government, economic freedom and individual liberty — principles that had made the American Dream possible for my family." He said he's changed his mind. "In recent years, though, I’ve become disenchanted with party politics and frightened by what I see from it. The two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/michigan-congressman-justin-amash-leaves-the-gop
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 02:19:09 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 02:20:32 pm »

Offline Mod5

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2019, 02:20:58 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2019, 02:24:53 pm »
What's that old saying?  It's something like:  if you shoot at the king, don't miss??  (Calm down, the word "king" isn't literal)

It sure sounds lofty when Amash says he's leaving the Republican Party because he's "disenchanted with party politics and frightened by what I see from it".   Well, what's frightening the hell out of him is how badly he's losing in the primary fight for his Congressional seat.  It appears folks don't like it when you shoot to politically kill the POTUS, who is also the leader of your own Party.

Amash shot and missed.  There's nothing more to his abdication than he is now paying the price.

The article mentions the line of candidates lining up for his seat, I think you're right.

And mentioning the Mueller report did not make his case any more credible.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2019, 02:39:11 pm »
@jmyrlefuller
@roamer_1
@edpc
@libertybele
@andy58-in-nh

And I believe in freedom.

I believe in individual rights and responsibilities.

I believe in a properly construed government, whose sole legitimate business---other than protecting and defending us from enemies actual and provably imminent from abroad and predators at home (real predators, not mere vicemongers)---is staying the hell out of your business, my business, everyone's business, until or unless one would obstruct or abrogate another's equivalent rights.

I disbelieve in the improperly-consecrated State which makes its business every damn last bit of your business, my business, everyone's business, despite being neither competent or constitutionally sanctioned to do so.

And in that order.

The Democrats don't want us, the Republicans are afraid we'll take over.

Justin Amash: Our politics is in a partisan death spiral. That’s why I’m leaving the GOP.

IMHO, it is the FED that is in our business and if we are to survive our rights must be reclaimed and returned at the state level. That is why I was hoping for a Convention of States.  It is too late, because of the shift to liberal leadership in some states during the mid terms, clearly beginning the exodus from those states into states more conservative with less taxes, etc. 

We are barely surviving and I don't know how we will hold on to our Republic if states move from red to purple to eventually blue.

With the shift in demographics as well as the influx of ILLEGALS into our country, (who seek asylum and can apply for citizenship within a 5 year time frame), I don't see how we can take our Republic back.  That is why I am so passionate about the situation at the border and so disappointed in this President and the GOP. 

We are losing our sovereignty and no one is doing a damn thing!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:40:42 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2019, 02:49:19 pm »
IMHO, it is the FED that is in our business and if we are to survive our rights must be reclaimed and returned at the state level. That is why I was hoping for a Convention of States. 

There is still state nullification.
State legislators and governors can give em the finger.

Pass an unconstitutional law, the states respectively say GFY
Montana has done that a time or two.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2019, 02:57:58 pm »
Meh. Amash's record is all hat no cattle.

And his rants about the Republican party are off the reservation.

Would it be that the DC GOP actually had some partisanship, and some spine.

The Republic is lost.