Author Topic: Trump says supporters could 'demand' he not leave office after two terms  (Read 10623 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump says supporters could 'demand' he not leave office after two terms
Nicholas Wu, USA TODAY
Published 1:27 p.m. ET June 16, 2019 | Updated 1:37 p.m. ET June 16, 2019

WASHINGTON — In tweets on Sunday morning, President Donald Trump suggested supporters might not want him to leave office after two terms.

"The good news is that at the end of 6 years, after America has been made GREAT again and I leave the beautiful White House (do you think the people would demand that I stay longer? KEEP AMERICA GREAT)," Trump wrote.

The president had also been criticizing the Washington Post and the New York Times, calling them "both a disgrace."

Read more at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/06/16/trump-says-supporters-could-demand-he-not-leave-after-two-terms/1471915001/

"What Me Worry" about those polls.

I know there is a dedicated Trump twitter thread... so merge if this is not proper.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:53:21 am by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
 :facepalm2:

If that were possible, Trump would have never had the opportunity to make it to office because Obama's sycophants, still far too numerous, would have demanded he stay. So no, it doesn't matter if the people demand it because we have a flipping Constitution and it's about high time we start electing leaders that HONOR SAID CONSTITUTION.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
. . . it doesn't matter if the people demand it because we have a flipping Constitution and it's about high time we start electing leaders that HONOR SAID CONSTITUTION.
We first need to find those who know what the Constitution is at all.

(And it ain't some old wooden ship in some harbour somewhere.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

If that were possible, Trump would have never had the opportunity to make it to office because Obama's sycophants, still far too numerous, would have demanded he stay. So no, it doesn't matter if the people demand it because we have a flipping Constitution and it's about high time we start electing leaders that HONOR SAID CONSTITUTION.

Judging from a number of other comments he has made in the past, I don't think Trump really knows what the Constitution is, let alone what's in it.

Offline libertybele

Indeed...comments like this are why the DEMS are chomping at the bit to start the impeachment process!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline goatprairie

Judging from a number of other comments he has made in the past, I don't think Trump really knows what the Constitution is, let alone what's in it.
:thumbsup:

Offline libertybele

In same ways Trump has 'tamed' himself.  On his recent visit to Europe I thought he did extremely well.  It's bonehead comments like this and his lack of credibility when he back pedals on issues is why the NT movement continues.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
President Tony Clifton will leave office. When he finally does, he’ll either enter into an agreement with Fox or create his own news media that will make The Young Turks look like award-winning journalism.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Trump says supporters could 'demand' he not leave office after two terms

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

He thinks just because the Communist Chinese President has done it he can.  You would think if he wanted people to vote for him he wouldn't be saying things like this.  Any sane Republican/Conservative would run from comments like these.  Furthermore that was the biggest draw to me about Ted Cruz.  His desire to stick to the Constitution.

Without the Constitution this country would go down fast.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He was joking, people!  Good grief. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

888high58888
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Applewood

He thinks just because the Communist Chinese President has done it he can.  You would think if he wanted people to vote for him he wouldn't be saying things like this.  Any sane Republican/Conservative would run from comments like these.  Furthermore that was the biggest draw to me about Ted Cruz.  His desire to stick to the Constitution.

I suspect some of the things he says tie into his love and admiration for dictators like Kim and Putin.  He can see how they have crushed any opposition, locked up or murdered dissenters and have absolute control over the media, and he wishes he had that kind of power.  Maybe it pains him that this country has a Constitution that is taken seriously. 

A Trump fan I know always tells me that when he talks like this, he is deliberately trying to drive non-fans crazy.  It's an act, a ploy, a tactic.  Whatever it is, if he is hoping to sway independents and anyone on the fence about him, saying this stuff will just drive them away

Offline Applewood

Well, to a lot of us, trampling on the Constitution is not funny. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Absolutely.  In fact he was playing off those quarterly published fake news stories that claim Trump will not step down if he doesn't win the 2020 election. 

New York Times: Pelosi worries Trump won't give up power if he loses ...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/04/politics/nancy-pelosi-trump...election.../index.html
May 7, 2019 - ... Pelosi is concerned President Donald Trump will not voluntarily step down ... that he doesn't contest the results, the New York Times reported Saturday. ...

What would happen if Trump refused to leave office after 2020 election ...
https://www.independent.co.uk › News › World › Americas › US politics
“Given my experience working for Mr Trump, I fear that if he loses the election in 2020 there will never be a peaceful transition of power,” Cohen said.

Trump May Claim 2020 Race Is Rigged, Refuse to Accept Defeat
nymag.com/.../2019/.../trump-may-claim-2020-race-is-rigged-refuse-to-accept-defeat.ht...
Apr 3, 2019 - After the 2018 midterms, and again after a special election in Wisconsin, ... Does anyone really think Trump will go quietly if he loses a squeaker? ...

Trump was trolling the press.  And like good little fish, they took the bait.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
888high58888

@austingirl I don't even like Trump, but the amazing amount of microscope proctology that he gets here and a lot of other places have me constantly defending a man I don't particularly like.  It seems that there are a surprising number of people who want to reinforce the most negative stereotypes of sour-faced, finger shaking, puritanical right-wingers.  If there was ever a losing strategy, that's it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Problem is with Trump you never can tell.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Go read what he said.  It's pretty obvious unless you're one of the ones looking for a fainting couch every time he opens his mouth (and, I know you're not).

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
@austingirl I don't even like Trump, but the amazing amount of microscope proctology that he gets here and a lot of other places have me constantly defending a man I don't particularly like.  It seems that there are a surprising number of people who want to reinforce the most negative stereotypes of sour-faced, finger shaking, puritanical right-wingers.  If there was ever a losing strategy, that's it.

I agree. I don't like his personality. I am a Trump realist. He is our President and I support the policies I agree with. The piling on every joke or unsourced report is getting old.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Oh, you got to be kidding.  He is not joking, but even if he was that isn't something to joke about.  He's said it before.  He commented on the Chinese President.  There is always an excuse isn't there?
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Oh, you got to be kidding.  He is not joking, but even if he was that isn't something to joke about.  He's said it before.  He commented on the Chinese President.  There is always an excuse isn't there?

You are entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Night Hides Not

Is he trolling us when he says 400 miles of border fence will be built by the end of next year?

After all, it’s been reported that less than 2 miles a month on average have been completed.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline libertybele

Is he trolling us when he says 400 miles of border fence will be built by the end of next year?

After all, it’s been reported that less than 2 miles a month on average have been completed.

You make a very valid point; maybe he was trolling all of his supporters when he promised to build a big beautiful wall and that Mexico was going to pay for it.   :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It's not funny. Not after term limits were the only way we got rid of Obama.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024