Author Topic: Praying for president: Franklin Graham finds support, criticism in spotlighting Trump on Sunday  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Praying for president: Franklin Graham finds support, criticism in spotlighting Trump on Sunday
Atlanta Journal Constitution, Jun 1, 2019, Sheila Poole

The Rev. Franklin Graham has asked people to set aside Sunday, June 2 as a special day of prayer for President Donald Trump.

Graham, though, has been criticized for politicizing prayer.

"President Trump's enemies continue to try everything to destroy him, his family and the presidency," Graham, president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan’s Purse, wrote on Facebook. "In the history of our country, no president has been attacked as he has. I believe the only hope for him, and this nation, is God."   

Graham, son of legendary evangelist the Rev. Billy Graham, who died in 2018, said the nation is on the edge of a precipice.

“Time is short. We need to pray for God to intervene. We need to ask God to protect, strengthen, encourage, and guide the president.”

By Saturday afternoon, the post had been shared by more than 144,000 Facebook users.

More:  https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/praying-for-president-franklin-graham-finds-support-criticism-spotlighting-trump-sunday/5sce4BS3t4y49xeSvkWqOL/?ecmp=intown&utm_medium=social&utm_source=intown_tw

Offline Applewood

These religious leaders have all become way too political.  Seems to me some of them have abandoned God and now worship Trump.  Of course, there were quite a few before them who worshipped money and some who ended up in prison because of it, so I guess corruption of religions has been going on long before Trump. 

That's one of the reasons why I have abandoned organized religion.  Can't depend on these men and women of the cloth to stick to the Bible.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
These religious leaders have all become way too political.  Seems to me some of them have abandoned God and now worship Trump.  Of course, there were quite a few before them who worshipped money and some who ended up in prison because of it, so I guess corruption of religions has been going on long before Trump. 

That's one of the reasons why I have abandoned organized religion.  Can't depend on these men and women of the cloth to stick to the Bible.

If we had the ways of the ant-Trumpers and no GOP or Trump in the White House, we may well have had the continual genocide on Christians. That's on the backs of the anti-Trumpers, not those like Graham who may give Trump support. I don't know if Graham ever even layed out an endorsement of Trump but, hey, why not blame others.  I don't think Graham ever gave an official endorsement. It appears Graham agrees with things the WH does such as in some cases, restoring religious liberty.

Christians slaughtered in Iraq or Syria are an abstract notion if one even has any idea of their travails against ISIS to begin with.

I welcome any discussion on my point, that we have largely seen the end of persecution of Christians (above the Mid-East norm that is) that started under Boy Jorge and accelerated greatly under Bath House Barry. 

But if being sold into sex slavery and much worse suffered by Christians in Iraq/Syria has largely ceased with the Trump Admin and one wants to ignore it,  there's not much that one can say.

Offline Applewood

If we had the ways of the ant-Trumpers and no GOP or Trump in the White House, we may well have had the continual genocide on Christians. That's on the backs of the anti-Trumpers, not those like Graham who may give Trump support. I don't know if Graham ever even layed out an endorsement of Trump but, hey, why not blame others.  I don't think Graham ever gave an official endorsement. It appears Graham agrees with things the WH does such as in some cases, restoring religious liberty.

Christians slaughtered in Iraq or Syria are an abstract notion if one even has any idea of their travails against ISIS to begin with.

I welcome any discussion on my point, that we have largely seen the end of persecution of Christians (above the Mid-East norm that is) that started under Boy Jorge and accelerated greatly under Bath House Barry. 

But if being sold into sex slavery and much worse suffered by Christians in Iraq/Syria has largely ceased with the Trump Admin and one wants to ignore it,  there's not much that one can say.

Except that's not what Rev. Graham is talking about.  He's perpetuating Trump's  constant paranoid rant that everyone is out to get him. 

There is nothing wrong with religious leaders urging their congregations to pray for those in government, including the president.  As a one-time Catholic, I remember there were prayers for wise, honest governance.  That's ok.  But Rev. Graham and others are taking political sides.  They have, IMHO, crossed the line. 

Online corbe

This guy, as most of them, have reached the Jimmy Swaggert level of hypocrisy, IMHO.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

The article isn't talking about preachers worshiping money either.... I'm going to take Graham's words per the article... now, if one dismisses Franklin's words, then, they reject that we have had an attempted coup going on, really a circus of total garbage going on to derail the presidency. In fairness, Obama had a tough time sometimes too. I try to see things fairly.

"President Trump's enemies continue to try everything to destroy him, his family and the presidency,"

"In the history of our country, no president has been attacked as he has. I believe the only hope for him, and this nation, is God." 

Okay, I'll stop there because we should not excerpt too much in depth but there is really something wrong about this? Trump and his family have been subjected to witch hunts.

Note, the article too:

By Saturday afternoon, the post had been shared by more than 144,000 Facebook users.

144,000!

For Christians it is not out-of-the-ordinary to pray for leaders,  doesn't TOS have some sort of 'pray for our president' thread? I think it was around when Obama was president too. Christians pray for their leaders. That's pretty common place.

Bottom line, I think a lot of people feel almost the command to pray for leaders. Of course, there have been some real bad men in power. That could still play to the bad men if they would lessen the evil they did.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 06:18:36 pm by TomSea »

Offline mountaineer

This guy, as most of them, have reached the Jimmy Swaggert level of hypocrisy, IMHO.
Well, you'd be wrong.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online corbe

Well, you'd be wrong.

Certainly, wouldn't be the first time @mountaineer  I have a real bitter taste about some of these Religious charlatans and their greed.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

Whether one wants to admit or not, doing "Christian" things is going to win one some favoritism with Christians to resort too, "yes, Franklin Graham is being political".

I can not enumerate on the whole list, but if the President enacts measures favorable to Christians and Christians pray for their leaders to begin with, what's the big deal?

Oh, the administration has gotten out of the way of the military so they can do their job and end the reign of ISIS, relatively speaking, "well, we have to separate that from being political".  IMO, fail!

Offline TomSea

I'd be careful in calling people charlatans,  I'm sure Samaritan's Purse feeds thousands, probably every day, doing that and helping with other basic necessities.

The points I hear and NOT from people in this forum but the article itself, could be construed as sorts of leftist talking points, "keep religion out of politics" and things like this.

Offline LegalAmerican

Praying for president: Franklin Graham finds support, criticism in spotlighting Trump on Sunday
Atlanta Journal Constitution, Jun 1, 2019, Sheila Poole

The Rev. Franklin Graham has asked people to set aside Sunday, June 2 as a special day of prayer for President Donald Trump.

Graham, though, has been criticized for politicizing prayer.

"President Trump's enemies continue to try everything to destroy him, his family and the presidency," Graham, president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan’s Purse, wrote on Facebook. "In the history of our country, no president has been attacked as he has. I believe the only hope for him, and this nation, is God."   

Graham, son of legendary evangelist the Rev. Billy Graham, who died in 2018, said the nation is on the edge of a precipice.

“Time is short. We need to pray for God to intervene. We need to ask God to protect, strengthen, encourage, and guide the president.”

More:  https://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/praying-for-president-franklin-graham-finds-support-criticism-spotlighting-trump-sunday/5sce4BS3t4y49xeSvkWqOL/?ecmp=intown&utm_medium=social&utm_source=intown_tw

Franklin is CORRECT....no wonder they criticize him!  lol.   May we tell islamist NOT TO PRAY..for our demise?   NO.
Foolish people in our country now.  Anti-Americans.  Communists.

Offline LegalAmerican

Oh. I pray for president TRUMP & our country. AMEN

Offline LegalAmerican

IT SEEMS ANTI-TRUMPERS support slavery, as ISLAMISTS still believe in that in 2019.  They may get their wish, to be a slave down the road or their families.

Based on this, C.A.I.R...SHOULD BE BANNED from the USA, and others DEPORTED if they belong to Islam to undermine our country and constitution ...and they DO.

The leader and founder of CAIR (Council of American Islamic Relations)
Omar M. Ahmad said:

“Islam isn’t in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become
dominant,” he said. “The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should
be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted
religion on Earth,” 2014

Online corbe

@TomSea One of the Founding Fathers first priorities was to separate Government from Religion, they haven't failed us thus far, IMHO, but it's not lost on me that the Catholics (as a majority) voted for obummer and his pro-choice agenda, twice, not to mention the current Pope's rhetoric.
    Religion, organized AND non denominational has it's fair share of bad people, just like the rest of society.
    You can keep your Religious stuff, as it has sustained our Country (and you) thus far, but I'll keep my feet firmly planted in the reality that Jesus never would have even liked most of these people, Trump included, though he preached LOVE.

Paul Thorn "I Don't Like Half the Folks I Love"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

Except that's not what Rev. Graham is talking about.  He's perpetuating Trump's  constant paranoid rant that everyone is out to get him. 

There is nothing wrong with religious leaders urging their congregations to pray for those in government, including the president.  As a one-time Catholic, I remember there were prayers for wise, honest governance.  That's ok.  But Rev. Graham and others are taking political sides.  They have, IMHO, crossed the line.

No paranoia!  Where you been?  Duh.  Praying for the leader of our country..IS A SIDE?  COME ON.  PRESIDENT IS IN OFFICE.  All religions have prayed for their leaders.  Heck, each session in Congress starts with a prayer. One time by a muslim, UNDER muslim Obama.  Pay attention. Demon-rat congress & RINO'S & MEDIA are against TRUMP since May 2015. TV shows, all NEGATIVE daily, 24/7. 94% of MEDIA is negative about president TRUMP.  PARANOIA? 
PRAYING FOR OUR ESTABLISHED LEADER & PRESIDENT..IS NOT ON A SIDE. FRANKLIN actually criticizes TRUMP.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline LegalAmerican

People just aren't informed. 

Offline TomSea

@TomSea One of the Founding Fathers first priorities was to separate Government from Religion, they haven't failed us thus far, IMHO, but it's not lost on me that the Catholics (as a majority) voted for obummer and his pro-choice agenda, twice, not to mention the current Pope's rhetoric.
    Religion, organized AND non denominational has it's fair share of bad people, just like the rest of society.
    You can keep your Religious stuff, as it has sustained our Country (and you) thus far, but I'll keep my feet firmly planted in the reality that Jesus never would have even liked most of these people, Trump included, though he preached LOVE.

Paul Thorn "I Don't Like Half the Folks I Love"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@corbe

This is not a religious forum but I will give a limited response,

White Catholics did not vote for Obama per majority, the vote got split along ethnic lines with Hispanics. It might be the same if one split up the Evangelical vote per whites and blacks on Obama.

Again, the proof is in the pudding, I'm just saying, I give Trump a lot of credit for largely ending Christian persecution in Iraq/Syria.

Likewise, it's not lost on me, that numerous sources will cite with this persecution as beginning under former Texas governor George Bush.   Those people have been there for 2000 years.  Leave it to the US's intervention to set off a chain of events seeing their numbers dwindle? No thanks.  I don't blame the US in whole but there is some responsibility, we were told this was happening and did little about it.

Also, if one starts to talk about keeping religious values to oneself, etc. etc. Good! Now, one can go vote for Kamala, Obama or whomever would say the same thing.

Since the onset of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, Iraq’s Christian population has plummeted from more than 1 million to roughly 200,000. Most who remain are destitute, living in misery as internally displaced people. They would seize any opportunity to leave the anti-Christian sectarian violence wracking their homeland for a new life in the West.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/3/persecuted-christians-in-the-middle-east-need-prot/

So, as best is possible, the Trump Admin and by mainly getting out of the way of the military has brought some rhyme and reason to the situation. Worth my vote and yes, it is things like this as to why Christians support him.

Pay for abortion? All this other? That's what we will get if we totally leave religion out of things.

Founding Fathers made all kinds of statements on religion.

Anywhere you go, you find this persecution started under Bush, perhaps others can say "I don't care", I'm not among them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:29:49 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Answers are too long and probably won't get read however, noted evangelist and pretty far out there to some, Bryan Fischer said the Evangelical vote got Obama elected in 2012  because they didn't show up to vote for Mitt.

So, it goes both ways. Fischer's analysis could be wrong.

Also, seeing how Ted Cruz made his faith at least, a big part of his campaign and you, @corbe, seem to almost claim to be one of his top fans, one does have to ponder your words. That said, some of your words are treasures and show a lot of experiences

Online corbe

@TomSea    I didn't like the fact that the press put such a heavy inference on Ted Cruz's Faith (Second Baptist, by the way), sure it's important to him and I have no problem with that, just as your Faith and all Briefers Faith is IMPORTANT to them and not of my concern. 
   My biggest problem is how most of these Evangelicals blindly voted for Trump when they actually had a valid choice.  I'm not convinced 'Cruz couldn't win a National Election' isn't just more Trumpian BS, anybody, including Pataki, could've beaten hellary, IMHO.

Offline TomSea

If Cruz had won, I would have supported him fully. I just support the nominee, Bush, Romney. I know, you have a dispute with Mitt, so be it. We can't rehash the last 5 elections here, that is truly going off topic too much.

But back on topic, sure, Christians will often vote for what they see as their interests, they don't necessarily want things like genderless bathrooms in their schools, the Christmas holidays called Winter Holidays and so on.  At that, humanitarian secularism ( I think that's the term) is basically a religion as well.

Offline mountaineer

We should pray for the president,  no matter who he or she is.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
We should pray for the president,  no matter who he or she is.

You are correct @mountaineer , but I am not ashamed to admit that I had a very hard time doing that for the prior occupant.

888mouth

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
   @TomSea    I didn't like the fact that the press put such a heavy inference on Ted Cruz's Faith (Second Baptist, by the way), sure it's important to him and I have no problem with that, just as your Faith and all Briefers Faith is IMPORTANT to them and not of my concern. 
   My biggest problem is how most of these Evangelicals blindly voted for Trump when they actually had a valid choice.  I'm not convinced 'Cruz couldn't win a National Election' isn't just more Trumpian BS, anybody, including Pataki, could've beaten hellary, IMHO.

You'll get a chance to be convinced @corbe when that drag that beast out from a nursing home (or crypt) and put her up in 2024, then you can support Pataki and have him take a run at her!

wink777

Offline mountaineer

I prayed for his efforts to fail.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It all started with the Jerry Falwell Jr. quid-pro-quo. Cohen bails out Falwell, Falwell endorses Trump, the "evangelicals" fall in line.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024