Author Topic: NBC video: Should the U.S. military intervene in Venezuela?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
NBC video: Should the U.S. military intervene in Venezuela?
« on: March 23, 2019, 08:51:47 pm »
Should the U.S. military intervene in Venezuela?
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/video/should-the-u-s-military-intervene-in-venezuela-1463376451909

One must go to link to see video. It could potentially make millions of more refugees and that is what they say is one great danger of allowing the situation to further deteriorate.

Offline TomSea

Re: NBC video: Should the U.S. military intervene in Venezuela?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 04:37:38 pm »

I don't know Jim DeFede's points of view, should one say he's said this or that. I know, his book was great and he's a great interviewer. Maybe I even heard his book is being made into a play... anyway, here he was interviewing Marco Rubio on Venezuela and some other issues yesterday.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 11:52:40 pm »
NO,NO,NO, A MILLION TIMES NO!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 12:11:24 am »
Washington (AFP) - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned Russia Monday the United States will not "stand idly by" as Moscow inserts military personnel into Venezuela to support the regime of President Nicolas Maduro.

In a phone call with Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Pompeo denounced the growing Russian military reinforcements as prolonging the political crisis in the South American country.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-not-stand-idly-russian-role-venezuela-pompeo-151345776.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 12:15:46 am »
Too bad we intervened in the first place.  Should have let the regime die a natural death.  Once we arrived and promoted the opposition it was time to take sides.   Now Russia is involved as in Syria.    Nothing good can come of this.   Pompeo's threats are ludicrous.   Lots of bluster signifying nothing.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 12:21:59 am »
NO,NO,NO, A MILLION TIMES NO!

Get ready for possibly more refugees. UN says we have 260,000 alone in the US. If one says, just turn them away, that's not going to happen.

I think as of now, we are not seriously thinking of a military action, though "all options are on the table."

Brazil and/or Colombia would go in if something happened and we might give some assistance and I don't think those nations currently want to do that.

@sneakypete

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 12:26:37 am »
There's an easy solution to all of this. Just put Trump in a room with Putin and Vlad will strongly deny Russian troops are there. Trump will believe him. Problem solved!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 12:32:54 am »
Too bad we intervened in the first place.  Should have let the regime die a natural death.  Once we arrived and promoted the opposition it was time to take sides.   Now Russia is involved as in Syria.    Nothing good can come of this.   Pompeo's threats are ludicrous.   Lots of bluster signifying nothing.

Glad to see people posting in the world news forum even if it is just to rag on the presidency.  Or administration.

Any or some US actions are causing positive results, many members of the Venezuelan military have abandoned the army,  Venezuela including its government are big cocaine smugglers, Hezbollah has connections in Venezuela. Oh, yes, let's not do anything.

And we are isolating the country. I think in fact, it has been successful. Some people are wondering why the Russians weren't in there earlier.

Things could indeed go our way down there.

Again, if one says refugees should just be turned away, that's not going to happen.  These are UN figures.

US, 260K
Spain, 200K +
Colombia, 1,100,000+, maybe much higher.

3,000,000 refugees in full, destabilizing the region. I don't think what you suggest is practical.

Over 50 countries, basically the free world, represent President Juan Guiado... so I certainly do not see this as some sort of failure and there are real consequences, more drugs smuggled, more refugees...

And some think that by the end of the year, refugees could be 5 million in total, 5,000 leaving a day.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:41:58 am by TomSea »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 12:36:25 am »
I advocate military intervention in Venezuela.

We could make short work of their "army" down there.

Get in, do the job, then... get back out.

Intervention will REDUCE the possibility of hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans trying to "head north".

If we don't "intervene", somebody else might.
Like China... or Russia  (aren't they already sending troops?).

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 12:40:05 am »
Supposedly, 100 Russian troops are in Venezuela now.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 12:43:03 am »
Glad to see people posting in the world news forum even if it is just to rag on the presidency.

If the shoe fits...and when it comes to criticism and idioms, Trump is Imelda Effing Marcos.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 03:53:43 am »
I advocate military intervention in Venezuela.

We could make short work of their "army" down there.

Get in, do the job, then... get back out.

Intervention will REDUCE the possibility of hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans trying to "head north".

If we don't "intervene", somebody else might.

@Fishrrman

You can't possibly be serious. US military intervention will just create even more chaos,and guess who will be the shiny new "target responsible for the chaos".

And make no mistake about,chaos is ALWAYS the end result of a communist government. I saw we sit back and allow Russia or anyone else to take the blame for it when it happens. Venezuela will bleed Russia dry if we stay out of it,and eventually they will have to either go back to "full communism" by taking over their oil and their economy,or just walk away licking their wounds.

Face it,all communism has ever done was offer security to ignorant peasants who think electricity is high tech,but the peasants in SA already know all about the promise of communism. They even know more about than the typical white weenie college miseducated fool that is all theory and no experience.

Yeah,it would be ok for us to go in with food,medicine,and similar aid AFTER the people there chase the communists out of the country,and help them get back on their feet again,but they are going to have to do that themselves. If we do it for them,it will never last.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 04:06:04 am »
Get ready for possibly more refugees. UN says we have 260,000 alone in the US. If one says, just turn them away, that's not going to happen.

I think as of now, we are not seriously thinking of a military action, though "all options are on the table."

Brazil and/or Colombia would go in if something happened and we might give some assistance and I don't think those nations currently want to do that.

@sneakypete

@TomSea

The UN ain't our daddy. They can't make us do a damn thing we don't want to do,anymore than they can stop us from handing a rifle and a few boxes of ammo to any adult refugee that wants to come here to "live free",and tell them to go home and use the rifle to remake their home country in the image of America. Freedom you fight for is MUCH more treasured than freedom that is just given to you.

If they don't want to do this,bleep them.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 11:54:02 pm »
pete wrote:
"You can't possibly be serious."

I am serious and I will not change my position.

We either go into Venezuela and clean out the commies, and then take our leave (other than economic assistance in reconstructing the place), or we're eventually going to be swamped by hundreds of thousands -- perhaps millions -- of "refugees" from there.

The other reason for intervention is to keep the Chinese out, and force the Russians who are there... out.

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 12:50:17 am »
   @TomSea I appreciate what you do with the World as I do with what you do to the Music CAT, you're a Gem.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 04:30:12 am »
pete wrote:
"You can't possibly be serious."

I am serious and I will not change my position.

We either go into Venezuela and clean out the commies, and then take our leave (other than economic assistance in reconstructing the place), or we're eventually going to be swamped by hundreds of thousands -- perhaps millions -- of "refugees" from there.

The other reason for intervention is to keep the Chinese out, and force the Russians who are there... out.

@Fishrrman

We can't even clean out our OWN damn commies,so what makes you think we would do anything more than end up feeding and subsidizing THEIR commies if we go there? Other than killing off more US military members,that is.

We need to clean  up our own damn cesspool before stirring up someone else's. The only good commie is a dead commie,and the best ones of all are dead American commies.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 01:21:20 pm »
@Fishrrman

We can't even clean out our OWN damn commies,so what makes you think we would do anything more than end up feeding and subsidizing THEIR commies if we go there? Other than killing off more US military members,that is.

We need to clean  up our own damn cesspool before stirring up someone else's. The only good commie is a dead commie,and the best ones of all are dead American commies.

“I don’t want the Americans to steal my moment in history, I want to help liberate #Venezuela myself” Watch a clip of my fascinating conversation with deputy @gilbercaro

https://twitter.com/truthandfiction/status/1110653780348059649

It seems they would need some help, over 50 countries recognize the new president.  But this guy is saying, they don't want to feel indebted to another country.

@sneakypete

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 01:53:56 pm »
The problem with many S American countries is that even if you replace the current rotten commie leaders with your chosen people, inevitably the innate problems with the people of those countries has them put commies back  in again down the road.
The U.S.  was accused of and criticized  for decades for meddling in the affairs of countries south of our border with Mexico. We still are criticized.
That was always a bogus charge as the faults of the people in those countries created the terrible conditions where commie or other thugs took over.
Most central and S.American countries that are sh*tholes are that way because the people in those countries made them sh*tholes. No American meddling made them sh*tholes. That's why millions of them are trying to get here.
So let them solve their own problems. If the leaders start slaughtering their people, that's another question. Then military intervention is warranted.
But in the current situation, let Venezuela sort out their problems themselves without our military aide in the form of boots on the ground.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:34:04 pm by goatprairie »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 01:59:56 pm »
It seems they would need some help, over 50 countries recognize the new president.  But this guy is saying, they don't want to feel indebted to another country.

@sneakypete

@TomSea

Good for him! He may be just the guy they need because they are going to need someone that can restore their national pride after having been enslaved by the communists.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 02:11:33 pm »
Eventually, the people will get tired of starving and rise up. I want them to rise up without our help so that we don't get the blame.

Let them rise up against the Russians. If the Putinistas kill a few people, it will light the fire.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 03:16:59 pm »
Eventually, the people will get tired of starving and rise up. I want them to rise up without our help so that we don't get the blame.

Let them rise up against the Russians. If the Putinistas kill a few people, it will light the fire.

I wonder if that is borne out by history.  How often do the abused and downtrodden put up a successful rebellion and reject that which made them downtrodden in the first place? 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 04:19:28 pm »
Unfortunately, they didn't do it in Cuba.... unfortunately, this is the way things go. I can see being gun-shy about intervention. But we can do quite a few other things... and its reported 5,000 people a day are leaving..

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 04:23:38 pm »
Unfortunately, they didn't do it in Cuba.... unfortunately, this is the way things go. I can see being gun-shy about intervention. But we can do quite a few other things... and its reported 5,000 people a day are leaving..

We CAN do a lot of things.  The question is SHOULD we?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 04:31:34 pm »
We CAN do a lot of things.  The question is SHOULD we?

This has been addressed in the forum, it's really or a lot of it is about the refugees. How many more are acceptable. UN figures has 260,000 in the US, 200,000 plus in Spain, over a million in Colombia, maybe 1.5 million, and then, they are also in Ecuador, Peru and Brazil in lesser numbers.

So, if one doesn't think we SHOULD, expect more refugees.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 04:36:51 pm »
This has been addressed in the forum, it's really or a lot of it is about the refugees. How many more are acceptable. UN figures has 260,000 in the US, 200,000 plus in Spain, over a million in Colombia, maybe 1.5 million, and then, they are also in Ecuador, Peru and Brazil in lesser numbers.

So, if one doesn't think we SHOULD, expect more refugees.

The only reason we should take in refugees is if there is some benefit to us.  We should not take in refugees who expect to be taken care of for the rest of their lives.  We can and perhaps should take in those who want to become Americans, and take advantage of our great country to take care of themselves and contribute to this nation.