Author Topic: Why Can’t America Win its Wars?  (Read 1356 times)

rangerrebew

Why Can’t America Win its Wars?
« on: February 07, 2019, 01:32:41 pm »
Why Can’t America Win its Wars?

Stephen B. Young

As part of his January 2, 2019 cabinet meeting, President Donald Trump may have petulantly disparaged his resigning Secretary of Defense, General James Mattis, but he did ask a Lord Voldemort question – one which should not be spoken aloud. He raised for the world to consider why can America no longer win its wars?

He asked about General Mattis “Well, what’s he done for me? How has he done in Afghanistan? Not too god. Not too good. I’m not happy with what he’s done in Afghanistan.” Trump put the problem curtly: “You can talk about our generals. I gave our generals all the money they wanted. They didn’t do such a great job in Afghanistan. They’ve been fighting in Afghanistan for 19 years”, adding: “I want results.”

The record of American disappointments is indeed impressive for money spent and results obtained: Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia, the War on Terror.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/why-cant-america-win-its-wars

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Why Can’t America Win its Wars?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 01:39:44 pm »
Because it is not possible. There are only two outcomes. Either change the nature and culture of the people of an entire country, or become an occupation force imposing Western values on a culture that is stuck in the 7th century AD.

Expecting a people to jump from the 7th century into the 21st century in a year or even a few years is ridiculous. And America hates the idea of occupying another country. Therefore it is stalemate. It is a no-win scenario.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:41:06 pm »
Lockheed Martin doesn't see any profit in winning wars.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 06:41:00 pm »
The short answer is "because they are not being allowed to win."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 06:47:07 pm »
Because it is not possible. There are only two outcomes. Either change the nature and culture of the people of an entire country, or become an occupation force imposing Western values on a culture that is stuck in the 7th century AD.

Expecting a people to jump from the 7th century into the 21st century in a year or even a few years is ridiculous. And America hates the idea of occupying another country. Therefore it is stalemate. It is a no-win scenario.

@240B

The question was about winning a war,not changing a culture. Sure,they are related in the sense that anytime a nation loses a war it changes their culture to a certain degree,but they are different goals.

There can be no question that we can win any war we get into IF we go in with the idea of completely destroying the enemies armed forces and eliminating their ability to wage war.

Hell,we can do that today without ever firing a shot if we really wanted. All we would have to so is seize the bank accounts and penalize any nation that sells to them on credit.

Once you realize this,it's obvious we don't win because there are too many people involved in the decision making that don't WANT to win because they are making money from waging war.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 06:50:53 pm »

That ↑
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 07:00:53 pm »
I'm no expert but we/our allies don't bomb places like Dresden was bombed in World War II. One can look at Dresden and at Hiroshoma/Nagasaki, it appears civilians were targeted. Nowadays, it's always about "we don't want to hit civilians",  So, this is just an observation and not a judgement. Anyone is welcome to add on more. It does make me think, maybe this is in part, why we have stalemates.

The error may be in my thinking. Of course, I'd never advocate to go after the civilians, war is tough enough on them already.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:02:23 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 07:03:32 pm »
I'm no expert but we/our allies don't bomb places like Dresden was bombed in World War II. One can look at Dresden and at Hiroshoma/Nagasaki, it appears civilians were targeted. Nowadays, it's always about "we don't want to hit civilians",  So, this is just an observation and not a judgement. Anyone is welcome to add on more. It does make me think, maybe this is in part, why we have stalemates.

@TomSea

THE "Golden Rule of Warfare" is to NEVER get into a war you don't intend to win."

All we have done the last couple of decades is fight wars for other people,and/or get into wars to pump up a sitting presidents popularity.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 07:12:15 pm »
@TomSea

THE "Golden Rule of Warfare" is to NEVER get into a war you don't intend to win."

All we have done the last couple of decades is fight wars for other people,and/or get into wars to pump up a sitting presidents popularity.

@sneakypete

I guess, too, with World War II, we had to win in a direct way, the country depended on it.

In ways, I'm sure the same can be made for some Cold War conflicts.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 07:31:20 pm »
@sneakypete

I guess, too, with World War II, we had to win in a direct way, the country depended on it.

In ways, I'm sure the same can be made for some Cold War conflicts.

The use of the word "civilian" is overused in any conflict with islam.

A member of my nephew's sniper team told my brother of an incident where they watched an entire Iraqi family place an IED in a road.

At that point, the entire family should have been eliminated. Mom, dad, and kids.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 08:47:19 pm »
Mainly because we have been dealing with symptoms rather than the root cause.  The Mullah's in charge of the Iranian government is the root cause!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 09:14:08 pm »
The use of the word "civilian" is overused in any conflict with islam.

A member of my nephew's sniper team told my brother of an incident where they watched an entire Iraqi family place an IED in a road.

At that point, the entire family should have been eliminated. Mom, dad, and kids.

@bigheadfred

A PERFECT example of why war should be avoided if at all possible.

Who knows how many geniuses,great humanitarians,inventors,surgeons,etc,etc,etc died in just WW-2,and the great advances for humanity they might have made if they had not been killed? People who had NO direct involvement in the war,other than being a cog in the machine?

War is sometimes unavoidable if you wish to continue to live free,but it should never been the knee-jerk response to any difficulty,and it should DAMN sure never be to prop up a unpopular politician or political party.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 09:18:34 pm »
Mainly because we have been dealing with symptoms rather than the root cause.  The Mullah's in charge of the Iranian government is the root cause!

@Bigun

And there you have it. With today's technology and communications it should be as easy to take them out as it is to take out a fly with a flyswatter. Most of the time WE wouldn't even have to be the ones to swat them. All we would have to do is let it be known to his second-in-command is that there is a special bank account with his name on it waiting for him if he does it for us.

Some things are universal,and will never change.

Online rustynail

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:24 pm »
ROI.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:19 pm »
Western units fighting a war in any Islamic country is completely futile. As soon as America and the other Western nations stop fighting for them, the nation immediately reverts to be exactly the way it was or even worse.

America should stay out of Muslim wars and just leave them to destroy each other. The application of covert ops and intelligence to protect allies in the region is always applicable. But the very idea that we are going to go in and 'save' Iraq or 'save' Afghanistan is total folly. We can create and defend 'Green Zones' which we can use to exert influence. But the idea of converting the entire country is simply not going to happen.

These people are Islamic. They want to be Islamic. And there is no way to stop them other than killing them on a massive scale. And even that may not work.

I do not know what the ultimate answer is. And I do not understand what the ultimate goal is in persuing all of these endless wars. What is the 'hoped for' outcome? What is the goal? I don't see one.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 10:00:00 pm »
@sneakypete  (Arthur)

I've got to ask you this, I've probably thought of it for a year. I use to work with some Hmong, you know, hill tribe in Laos. Did you ever come across any in your experiences?  I like them, good people. You once told a story that almost seemed to touch on it but maybe not. I don't even know if you were ever in Laos.

Lastly, if this is offensive or personal, you don't need to answer. It is a bit off-topic, so apologies for anything.

Offline berdie

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 10:07:04 pm »

The error may be in my thinking. Of course, I'd never advocate to go after the civilians, war is tough enough on them already.

I guess going after civilians depends on their mindset. If it were a matter of protecting this country against what I consider an invading force...darn right...they will have to bomb me out of existence. I'm not military...just an old citizen who loves this place. So I do understand where these people were coming from. Sadly, it isn't politically correct these days.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you are more informed than I) but Dresden was the last destination of the Nazi army since the rest of the country was pretty well occupied by Allied forces. And Hiroshima/Nagasaki had military armament factories in addition to rabid (I get that) citizens.  I don't really think either choice was targeting citizens.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 11:41:32 pm »
@sneakypete  (Arthur)

I've got to ask you this, I've probably thought of it for a year. I use to work with some Hmong, you know, hill tribe in Laos. Did you ever come across any in your experiences?  I like them, good people. You once told a story that almost seemed to touch on it but maybe not. I don't even know if you were ever in Laos.

Lastly, if this is offensive or personal, you don't need to answer. It is a bit off-topic, so apologies for anything.

@TomSea

I honestly can't remember what tribes I worked with,but I know for a fact there were MANY Hmongs that worked with SF units. Most SF units in VN were the traditional A-Teams that were inserted into areas under the control or under attack by the NVA,and they set up base camps to patrol from and block supply routes in and out of NVN,Laos,and Cambodia. Which means they worked with whatever local tribes were available.

Other SF units like Mike Force were mobile and covered large areas,and recruited from whatever tribes were volunteering. Sometimes tribal members traveled long distances to work with Americans they had worked with before,or to work with relatives/fellow tribal members. However,Chinese Nungs were VERY popular as bodyguards with Mike Force units.

I worked with MACV-SOG,and our area of operations were North Vietnam,Laos,and Cambodia. We mostly operated 6 man recon teams to monitor NVA troop movements,call in air strikes on them,do an occasional POW snatch if we could catch a NVA alone. Sometimes there were special missions to whack NVA military or political officials if we received word some of them were traveling south to give speeches or meet with locals.

Recon teams used various tribes,and even used some Vietnamese members. They didn't mix ethnicity,though. All your hired employees were from the same tribe/ethnic group to ensure loyalty to each other and to avoid thousand year old fights. The first recon team I worked with was me,two other Americans,and a number of Vietnamese. We only went out on 6 man missions,but we had other VN hired,trained,and ready to go to insure we had them if any of our prime guys was KIA or WIA and couldn't go.  We had to have backup.

Same thing when I was working with Hatchet Force Platoons,except there were never any Vietnamese on HF platoons AFAICR. Hatchet Force platoons were used to run recon in areas considered too hot to send in 6 man teams,and we would do stuff like go into Laos or Cambodia on road block operations to keep any NVA force that had crossed the border to attack a camp in VN had no where to escape the bombers when they tried to run back to Laos or Cambodia to hide. If done right,you did it in an area where they had nowhere to go once you blocked the road by blowing up a couple of their trucks,and then sicced the USAF on them. That was a pretty big job for 26-28 guys,and I don't mind admitting that Hatchet Force operations scared the hell out of me. If you have ever heard of Operation Tailwind,that was my old platoon about a year after I left VN. CNN did a "expose" on "American troops murdering innocent men,women,and children in Laos" named Operation Tailwind,and it backfired on them. By the time the dust settled,CNN had to kill their new news magazine show,fire all the editors,and pay out millions in fines to the guys identified by name.

We even went to CNN headquarters in Atlanta to protest,and ended up recruiting a busload of Japanese tourists that were curious about what we were doing and asked why we were doing it,and then ended up marching around and protesting with us.<G>

I am pretty sure I worked on teams with Hmong team members. It would have been hard to avoid them.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 12:59:34 am »
The question:
"Why Can’t America Win its Wars?"

The answer:
Because we don't fight them to win.

"Fighting to win" means destroying not only the enemy army, but enough of the civilian population and infrastructure until those remaining cry, "surrender!"

Once we do that, we'll start "winning" again.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 02:00:26 am »
Because it is not possible. There are only two outcomes. Either change the nature and culture of the

We changed the nature and culgur, of the two most powerful nations of the time, namely Germany and Japan.

It was simple. We killed so many civilians, and made it clear we would continue, unless the surrendered unconditionally.

We have not waged such total warfare, since. We have used half measures. We have left the door open that partial surrender is enough.

We have tolerated a Defense Department, and military arms industries, where half-measures work the best for them.

"Islam is a religion of peace," for example.

Supposedly training Afghanis to take over their own defense, only to have several of them rurn and kill our troops, for years and years.

It is a good thing, that Truman didn't decide that "Shinto is a Religion of Peace," and instead sought an early decisive victory, by bombing Hiroshima and Nagasakii.

It worked then, and would work now.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln