Author Topic: Why Trump went for a 21-day suspension of the partial shutdown, and what happens next  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I admire your persistence in the face of such obvious difficulties, @Emjay, but I'm more concerned with the President standing by me and other law-abiding citizens of THIS nation.  This is the one issue he can't slide on.  And, it sure looks like he is.

The President is not sliding in any shape, manner or form.  I'm weary trying to alert people here that he's spent the $1.6 billion on the wall already (updates as to where and how are posted in the National News Section).  We need more money, and Congress controls the purse strings.  Aim your objections at them  or ditch the U.S. Constitution.

But, for cripes sake, please stop with the histrionics against the one getting things done in spite of all the forces against us.

Offline corbe

The Nt'ers here (you gave me that name) are not RINO's nor dems, we are Conservatives. In spite of your consternations we have not failed your President, we are not your problem @Right_in_Virginia you best save your dry powder for those that are.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
No, he needs to get his ass in gear and do something effective!

I am having a garage sale and this is a free item.

Actually I have two free items.  Here is the other one.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:15:08 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

That would be an idiot thing to do, but then again its the kind of thing the idiot in chief might do....

Trump talking, with Pelosi sitting behind and above him shaking her head every time Trump says something she disagrees with.. yeah that will work.. :whistle:

Pelosi just kicked Trumps azz, who the public gonna believe... :shrug:

Why would Pelosi be behind him, or even in the room?   She said he's not invited to the House, why would he invite her to the location he chooses to deliver the SOTU?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline montanajoe

Why would Pelosi be behind him, or even in the room?   She said he's not invited to the House, why would he invite her to the location he chooses to deliver the SOTU?

If you recall Trump cancelled the STOU after Pelosi told him she would not convene a joint session and he feels the HOR is the only appropriate venue to give the speech, he's not interested in giving it in another venue. So.....if its given in the HOR Pelosi will sitting directly behind him along with Pence.

I would have supposed even the most ardent Trump supporter would see how bad the optics will be...I suspect media savy Trump will get it and won't do the speech until there is a resolution... :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:42:59 am by montanajoe »

Online DB

If you recall Trump cancelled the STOU after Pelosi told him she would not convene a joint session and he feels the HOR is the only appropriate venue to give the speech, he's not interested in giving it in another venue. So.....if its given in the HOR Pelosi will sitting directly behind him along with Pence.

I would have supposed even the most ardent Trump supporter would see how bad the optics will be...I suspect Trump will get it and won't do the speech until there is a resolution... :shrug:

And had he ignored Pelosi and provide a written state of the union report to congress fulfilling his constitutional duty he would have cut both Pelosi and the house out of their big PR camera event sidelining them. They wouldn't have liked that at all. But Trump had to have the cameras with pomp and circumstance and caved to Pelosi instead.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

And had he ignored Pelosi and provide a written state of the union report to congress fulfilling his constitutional duty he would have cut both Pelosi and the house out of their big PR camera event sidelining them. They wouldn't have liked that at all. But Trump had to have the cameras with pomp and circumstance and caved to Pelosi instead.

He could have had the cameras with pomp and circumstance and left Nasty on the sidelines while delivering a speech from just about anywhere.

I guess he was tired of "winning".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline aligncare

The President is not sliding in any shape, manner or form.  I'm weary trying to alert people here that he's spent the $1.6 billion on the wall already (updates as to where and how are posted in the National News Section).  We need more money, and Congress controls the purse strings.  Aim your objections at them  or ditch the U.S. Constitution.

But, for cripes sake, please stop with the histrionics against the one getting things done in spite of all the forces against us.

As if the fair-weather supporters here are interested in facts. They’re only interested in kvetching about Trump. Why? Because, for some strange reason, he hasn’t called them for their advice about border security and negotiating with bureaucrats – a guy with experience building 100-story skyscrapers and luxury resorts and dealing with governments to get the job done on time.

Everyone knows that SometimeTrumpers, sitting in their basements, have all the answers and Trump has none.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline kevindavis007

How about they all sit down act like adults and reach some kind of agreement/compromise. No more shutdowns period.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
How about they all sit down act like adults and reach some kind of agreement/compromise. No more shutdowns period.

The Democrats already ruled that out. They shut down the government to keep Trump from getting the funding for the wall. They said "No Compromise"
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

Note: Obama shutdown the government to get funding for his Obamacare
Countdown to Resignation

Offline kevindavis007

Note: Obama shutdown the government to get funding for his Obamacare

More like Ted Cruz shutdown the Government to DEFUND Obamacare. Look how that worked out. Do you really think that he was get rid of his own program?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline kevindavis007

The Democrats already ruled that out. They shut down the government to keep Trump from getting the funding for the wall. They said "No Compromise"

I thought Trump invented the Art of the Deal? If he is good at making deals like he claimed he should have no problem.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
The other party has to be willing and they are not. You cannot blame Trump for this one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:59:40 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline kevindavis007

The other party has to be willing and they are not. You cannot blame Trump for this one.

Well Mr Art of the Deal has to Compromise.

Offline kevindavis007

He can find a way to use already appropriated defense funds to build the wall. In a $700+ billion budget he should be able to find $5 billion somewhere. Without shutting down the Government or declaring National Emergency.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
In a $700+ billion budget he should be able to find $5 billion somewhere. Without shutting down the Government or declaring National Emergency. [/size]
Kevin, that's not how appropriations work. It's not just some massive slush fund. All that money is alloted for specific purposes. Are you going to take money out of some private's paycheck to pay T3H WALL!!!!1 ?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Axeslinger

@kevindavis

See...I disagree on that notion.   The Dems have to be willing to compromise.   Where I’m upset  with trump on this one is that he did not use all the tools in his arsenal to “encourage” the Dems (and the RINOs)  to see the light. 

He had other tools he could have used to squeeze them:

Hold illegals seeking asylum indefinitely until the case is resolved.

Any illegal who is deported cannot return. If they do it’s a felony.

Anyone without legal residency cannot receive federal aid.

Crackdown on funding going to sanctuary cities.

All of these are within the President's power.  All are backed by law.  And he had an easy response to the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would have ensued: “I’m merely enforcing the laws that Congress passed”

The only card he played was “I want $5B and I’m ok w partially closing the govt”. So while he operated in good faith and the Dems did not, he did not fight nearly as hard as many here would like to think.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

OK. He tried that. The Democrats said they would not compromise
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Kevin, that's not how appropriations work.

Not to pick on the guy but I think Kevin is so dialed into GroupThink that facts aren't going to have much influence on him. My daughter is the same way. She can't differentiate between facts and opinion.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Simply put, the Dems and their allies in public sector unions were playing chicken with the national economy,  and Trump decided that he'd better be the adult in the room.

Thanks for posting the article, @Emjay.   I always look to your posts for the dissemination of common sense.   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:19:42 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Simply put, the Dems and their allies in public sector unions were playing chicken with the national economy,  and Trump decided that he'd better be the adult in the room.

That's a bit tough to take seriously, when Trump was the one who said he was prepared to take the shutdown into months or years.

It seems more likely someone like Mulvaney intervened and steered him away from advice he was getting from Miller and Kushner.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:41:32 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Why Trump went for a 21-day suspension of the partial shutdown ---

While the measure failed, the Republican crossovers are significant. Shutdowns are about both sides holding the line — and that’s especially the case on the GOP side. Trump is demanding $5.7 billion in border wall funding or he won’t reopen the government, but six GOP senators just served notice that they won’t hold that line with him.

More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/01/24/trump-just-lost-key-leverage-shutdown/?noredirect=on

Offline kevindavis007

Why Trump went for a 21-day suspension of the partial shutdown ---

Trump should have never gone with the Shutdown.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Trump should have never gone with the Shutdown.

What should he have done?  Signed another bloated CR?  Or.....what?  @kevindavis