Author Topic: Why Trump went for a 21-day suspension of the partial shutdown, and what happens next  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Simply put, the Dems and their allies in public sector unions were playing chicken with the national economy,  and Trump decided that he'd better be the adult in the room.

Thanks for posting the article, @Emjay.   I always look to your posts for the dissemination of common sense.

Thanks, @Jazzhead   Sorry, I couldn't hang more, but it's been really depressing.

So many people we wouldn't want in the proverbial foxhole with us.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The last I heard they've begun shipping asylum seekers back to Mexico to await their hearing dates.

There're some good things happening.

Just wanted to make an updated comment.  This morning the news said that among 300 that crossed illegally one of the migrants was found to have a flesh eating bacteria on his leg.   He was taken to the hospital for treatment and he will need ongoing treatment,....on the taxpayer.  Given that he was traveling with 300 people I would think the chances of others getting this bacteria are good.  This is the kind of things that politicians don't talk about.  People coming into our country with disease putting every American at risk.  And their medical bills belong to Americans.

What I didn't get from the earlier article I read was others in the group had to receive hospital care also.  This article tells of the various health conditions they are being treated for.

https://cbs4local.com/news/local/flesh-eating-bacteria-found-on-central-america-migrant-crossing-with-large-group
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:18:43 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Just wanted to make an updated comment.  This morning the news said that among 300 that crossed illegally one of the migrants was found to have a flesh eating bacteria on his leg.   He was taken to the hospital for treatment and he will need ongoing treatment,....on the taxpayer.  Given that he was traveling with 300 people I would think the chances of others getting this bacteria are good.  This is the kind of things that politicians don't talk about.  People coming into our country with disease putting every American at risk.  And their medical bills belong to Americans.

What I didn't get from the earlier article I read was others in the group had to receive hospital care also.  This article tells of the various health conditions they are being treated for.

https://cbs4local.com/news/local/flesh-eating-bacteria-found-on-central-america-migrant-crossing-with-large-group

It wasn't a coincidence that enterovirus D68 started showing up around the country, after Obama scattered incoming illegals across the country in 2014.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Thanks, @Jazzhead   Sorry, I couldn't hang more, but it's been really depressing.

So many people we wouldn't want in the proverbial foxhole with us.

Like the Chicken Wing of the Trump supporters.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RetBobbyMI

If Pilosi and the Schmuck Stooge show won’t allow a SOTU to take place, then Trump should invite them along with McConnell and Scalise for a negotiation session at Camp David with one pool Camera. Lock the doors the room and start a show and tell.  Let her. And Chuckie make fools of themselves on camera again.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
How about they all sit down act like adults and reach some kind of agreement/compromise. No more shutdowns period.
Yeah a budget like it says in the Constitution.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah a budget like it says in the Constitution.

And, remember, the budget in question is the one that should have been completed last October. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Restored observed (accurately):
"The democrats already ruled that out. They shut down the government to keep Trump from getting the funding for the wall. They said "No Compromise""

It's gonna be the same 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 6 months from now.
The democrat-communists will NEVER consent to move this forward.

If Mr. Trump wants "a wall", he's going to have to do it "the hard way":
Declare an emergency, send in the troops and Army Corps of Engineers, and get them a-buildin'.
And then be prepared to take the heat and fight back tooth and nail to get it done.

C'mon folks, tell me (I dare any member to answer):
Who believes the democrat-communists will acquiesce and provide funding for a border barrier?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
What happens next??  The GOP loses in 2020.  The Presidency, the Senate and the House. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online DB

What happens next??  The GOP loses in 2020.  The Presidency, the Senate and the House.

The Republicans have burned their goodwill with voters.

It really depends on the Dems. Will they overplay their hand and piss off most everyone? They certainly might. If they don't they'll reclaim all of government.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

It really depends on the Dems. Will they overplay their hand and piss off most everyone? They certainly might. If they don't they'll reclaim all of government.

My guess:

The hard core Bernie left wins big in 2020, at least at the federal level.  Then they overplay their hand and the tide shifts back to the GOP in 4/6/8 years.  The GOP wins big with candidates left of romney/mccain/trump, as hard as that is to imagine.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the left...
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

Because the Republicans were doing so well before...  *****rollingeyes*****

Online DB

Because the Republicans were doing so well before...  *****rollingeyes*****

I said Republicans not just Trump.

The Republicans lied repeatedly about repealing Obamcare and securing the border just to name two major betrayals. Vote for us, will do this. We did and they didn't. Repeatedly.

Are you seriously going to say they didn't?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Trump should have never gone with the Shutdown.

The idea,  it seems to me,  was to create the conditions needed to declare the national emergency.    Simply kicking the can for another few weeks with a new CR doesn't advance that endgame.    But a painful shut-down that the Dems reacted to, predictably,  with absolutely no indication of compromise sets the stages for a final attempt at negotiation which, if it proves fruitless,  can justify the declaration of an emergency as a necessary alternative to another shutdown.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The idea,  it seems to me,  was to create the conditions needed to declare the national emergency.    Simply kicking the can for another few weeks with a new CR doesn't advance that endgame.    But a painful shut-down that the Dems reacted to, predictably,  with absolutely no indication of compromise sets the stages for a final attempt at negotiation which, if it proves fruitless,  can justify the declaration of an emergency as a necessary alternative to another shutdown.

The first indication he would use the military to build the wall same last March, with his ‘build wall through M’ tweet. Since then, we’ve had zero tolerance, family separation, repeals and re-instatements of catch and release, various caravan, military deployments, and the shutdown. It’s increasingly less credible to say ‘emergency declaration,’ when you’ve been doing nothing to actively advance the agenda and backing those that blocked his actions in the midterms. The only emergency has been the realization of risk to his political hide.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline aligncare

Yes, that’s exactly where this is going. Trump, the wild-eyed crazy dictator, is going through the political process first, and then if there’s further impasse, he’ll rely on constitutional and legislative powers given him as president as a final resort.

Offline RetBobbyMI

Voters? What do they matter when Dems “manufacture” votes?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:42:53 am by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy