Author Topic: Why Trump went for a 21-day suspension of the partial shutdown, and what happens next  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It is important that Nancy Pelosi declined to rule out funding for a physical barrier. We do not know what was said in the process of reaching an agreement to re-start the normal operations of the federal givenrment for the next 21 days.  Democrats naturally are gloating, calling it a surrender and admonishing Trump to “learn his lesson” and acknowledge his defeat by the wise and all-knowing Nancy Pelosi.  This certainly gives them a sugar high while providing evidence for future use that their priority is humiliating Trump rather than attending to the needs of border security.

Nonetheless, as President Trump correctly noted in the Rose Garden address, it was an “agreement.” The Dems agreed to procedural rules that can be used to make the case for border barrier construction. The deal will be hashed out in the conference committee, which will then submit the same legislation to both Houses of Congress, with the 21-day clock ticking. Either chamber can modify the legislation, but that happens under the gun of the ticking clock.

Trump’s stonewall on the shutdown had to end because a choke point had been discovered by the opposition (a group that includes Congressional Democrats and government employee unions along with the media): commercial aviation. It was obvious when the Air Traffic Controllers demonstrated their ability to stymie air travel at the nation’s busiest airports that President Trump, having declared ownership of the shutdown, would be blamed for strangling the economy, and was on the hook for any air traffic control disaster that might, God forbid, happen. The Executive VP of the Air Traffic Controllers Association went on CNN to blame Trump for delays and safety issues. With the Super Bowl next weekend in the city with the world’s busiest airport, not only would business and family travel be impaired, the functioning of the nation’s premier sporting event was in peril.

It may be coincidence, but this kill shot job action occurred in the wake of extraordinary signs that House Democrats were wavering in their support for Pelosi’s “not one dollar” opposition to a border wall – while the government is (partially) shut down. This gives Trump’s allies something to work with. Steny Hoyer, second-ranking House Democrat, already has conceded that a physical barrier is part of the solution – just not while the government is shut down.  The Democrats now own the House majority because new members have been elected from historically GOP-leaning districts, and many of those freshmen fear facing voters in November next year and being painted as Pelosi’s pawns who prevented a border barrier desired by their constituents.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/01/why_trump_went_for_a_21day_suspension_of_the_partial_shutdown_and_what_happens_next.html
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That 'sugar high' seems to be contagious.

With friends like Trump has here, he doesn't even need Nancy Pelosi.

Offline dfwgator

He doesn't need Pelosi to get the Wall built.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Great interview with Michelle Malkin.  She should run for President.  I would vote for her.  And she gives praise to Trump too, but caution.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/5994470892001/#sp=show-clips
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline LadyLiberty

Schedule the SOTU address, stack the audience with angel families, and tell their stories to the world.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Schedule the SOTU address, stack the audience with angel families, and tell their stories to the world.

And he needs to include in between Port of Entry crime.  The truth too about border city crime.  Like Laredo Texas.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/wolf-boys-2-american-teens-become-brutal-hitmen-for-feared-mexican-drug-cartel
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:35:20 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline goodwithagun

Bring in A/V and show clips of Dems asking for wall years ago.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Mesaclone

It is important that Nancy Pelosi declined to rule out funding for a physical barrier. We do not know what was said in the process of reaching an agreement to re-start the normal operations of the federal givenrment for the next 21 days.  Democrats naturally are gloating, calling it a surrender and admonishing Trump to “learn his lesson” and acknowledge his defeat by the wise and all-knowing Nancy Pelosi.  This certainly gives them a sugar high while providing evidence for future use that their priority is humiliating Trump rather than attending to the needs of border security.

Nonetheless, as President Trump correctly noted in the Rose Garden address, it was an “agreement.” The Dems agreed to procedural rules that can be used to make the case for border barrier construction. The deal will be hashed out in the conference committee, which will then submit the same legislation to both Houses of Congress, with the 21-day clock ticking. Either chamber can modify the legislation, but that happens under the gun of the ticking clock.

Trump’s stonewall on the shutdown had to end because a choke point had been discovered by the opposition (a group that includes Congressional Democrats and government employee unions along with the media): commercial aviation. It was obvious when the Air Traffic Controllers demonstrated their ability to stymie air travel at the nation’s busiest airports that President Trump, having declared ownership of the shutdown, would be blamed for strangling the economy, and was on the hook for any air traffic control disaster that might, God forbid, happen. The Executive VP of the Air Traffic Controllers Association went on CNN to blame Trump for delays and safety issues. With the Super Bowl next weekend in the city with the world’s busiest airport, not only would business and family travel be impaired, the functioning of the nation’s premier sporting event was in peril.

It may be coincidence, but this kill shot job action occurred in the wake of extraordinary signs that House Democrats were wavering in their support for Pelosi’s “not one dollar” opposition to a border wall – while the government is (partially) shut down. This gives Trump’s allies something to work with. Steny Hoyer, second-ranking House Democrat, already has conceded that a physical barrier is part of the solution – just not while the government is shut down.  The Democrats now own the House majority because new members have been elected from historically GOP-leaning districts, and many of those freshmen fear facing voters in November next year and being painted as Pelosi’s pawns who prevented a border barrier desired by their constituents.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/01/why_trump_went_for_a_21day_suspension_of_the_partial_shutdown_and_what_happens_next.html

Great post.

The President is going full on Sun Tzu with this.

All [politics] is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

A three week hiatus costs the President NOTHING. He looks like the reasonable party, he puts his DHS folks back to work securing the border and ports of entry, and he can give his State of the Union address...an invaluable PR event in his favor. And after 3 weeks, if they don't give him legislation to fund the wall he simply moves ahead on his Emergency Declaration...which is what he was going to have to do anyway.

But let them think they've "got him"...let them gloat...as they walk into the bear trap. It would almost be amusing if the issue of concern were not so important.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Bring in A/V and show clips of Dems asking for wall years ago.

Absolutely!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

No, he needs to get his ass in gear and do something effective!

Offline LadyLiberty

And he needs to include in between Port of Entry crime.  The truth too about border city crime.  Like Laredo Texas.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/wolf-boys-2-american-teens-become-brutal-hitmen-for-feared-mexican-drug-cartel

Fentanyl deaths, too, and the first responders who have to deal with that crisis.

Offline montanajoe

That would be an idiot thing to do, but then again its the kind of thing the idiot in chief might do....

Trump talking, with Pelosi sitting behind and above him shaking her head every time Trump says something she disagrees with.. yeah that will work.. :whistle:

Pelosi just kicked Trumps azz, who the public gonna believe... :shrug:

Offline RetBobbyMI

Trump is just playing Nancy and Chuckie to show their true idiotic, asinine and obstinate colors. He took away their arguments one by one, leaving them holding the proverbial bag of shyte. Now they only have one move, workout something agreeable to Trump or he will go it alone. They can either be part of the solution, or continue to be the problem.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline skeeter

Great post.

All [politics] is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

A three week hiatus costs the President NOTHING. He looks like the reasonable party, he puts his DHS folks back to work securing the border and ports of entry, and he can give his State of the Union address...an invaluable PR event in his favor. And after 3 weeks, if they don't give him legislation to fund the wall he simply moves ahead on his Emergency Declaration...which is what he was going to have to do anyway.

But let them think they've "got him"...let them gloat...as they walk into the bear trap. It would almost be amusing if the issue of concern were not so important.

I doubt the president is pleased with the way this shutdown thing went. Demoralizing to his base, to say the least. To imply differently is to put lipstick on a proverbial pig.

Having said that, the game isn't over yet so we shall see. He may yet pull it off but its an uphill battle now.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I doubt the president is pleased with the way this shutdown thing went. Demoralizing to his base, to say the least. To imply differently is to put lipstick on a proverbial pig.

Having said that, the game isn't over yet so we shall see. He may yet pull it off but its an uphill battle now.

Most think that he's going to declare a national emergency, I think he would have done that already.  He was hoping that the threat would get the DEMS to move or show their hand on that issue.  They did neither.  Trump yielded to Nancy and Chuck. No wall.  DACA has been extended. Lot's of people went through financial headaches for nothing.

I don't even know if he still has the military placed at the border to address the latest caravan.  Last I had read they were there for the most part helping to process paperwork.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

Most think that he's going to declare a national emergency, I think he would have done that already.  He was hoping that the threat would get the DEMS to move or show their hand on that issue.  They did neither.  Trump yielded to Nancy and Chuck. No wall.  DACA has been extended. Lot's of people went through financial headaches for nothing.

I don't even know if he still has the military placed at the border to address the latest caravan.  Last I had read they were there for the most part helping to process paperwork.

The last I heard they've begun shipping asylum seekers back to Mexico to await their hearing dates.

There're some good things happening.

Offline Chosen Daughter

The last I heard they've begun shipping asylum seekers back to Mexico to await their hearing dates.

Not that exciting.  There are so many and they are not waiting.  Illegal immigrants are still entering at record levels with more caravans on the way.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist

That is true, some good things are being done.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Not that exciting.  There are so many and they are not waiting.  Illegal immigrants are still entering at record levels with more caravans on the way.

There are a couple of things going on here.  There are the border-jumpers we've always had, but now there are a crapton of "Asylum Seekers" too.  They aren't jumping fences, they're showing up at Ports of Entry.  Because of the Obama policy of encouraging asylum seeking, we're now seeing whole families and "caravans" showing up expecting a hearing and a green card.

Fixing the asylum flaws is a solution that's needed for one problem, and walls are a solution for the other problem.

Unaddressed by either:  Visa overstays.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Great post.

Thanks for a great post @Mesaclone   It helped me a lot.  I've been avoiding this site for a couple of days because of all the people ... who have no real idea of the situation ... ripping Trump for this move.  Really discouraging.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

It only demoralized the Chicken section of his base.  Thank God Trump has more drive and courage than a lot of his flaky supporters.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
No, he needs to get his ass in gear and do something effective!

Very disappointed in the way a lot of people here stood by Trump.

Trump may not be the most elegant or the most articulate President but he is, by far, the most conservative President we've had in many years.

And @Sanguine why don't you get your own ass in gear and support the one President who's trying to do things for us.

Except for a couple of posters like @Mesaclone this thread is way discouraging.  I may have to take another break.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It only demoralized the Chicken section of his base.  Thank God Trump has more drive and courage than a lot of his flaky supporters.

It's demoralizing to people who are neither AT nor NT, but were hoping for the best despite not being on the "Trump Train."  These are good people who refuse to go gaga over a politician.  Most reluctantly voted for Trump.

It's pretty insulting for the majority of Briefers to be called "the Chicken section of the base," and it's no way to keep those votes in 2020.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

And the orchestra played on!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Very disappointed in the way a lot of people here stood by Trump.

Trump may not be the most elegant or the most articulate President but he is, by far, the most conservative President we've had in many years.

And @Sanguine why don't you get your own ass in gear and support the one President who's trying to do things for us.

Except for a couple of posters like @Mesaclone this thread is way discouraging.  I may have to take another break.

I admire your persistence in the face of such obvious difficulties, @Emjay, but I'm more concerned with the President standing by me and other law-abiding citizens of THIS nation.  This is the one issue he can't slide on.  And, it sure looks like he is.