Author Topic: Speaker Nancy Pelosi Asks Trump to Postpone State of the Union Address  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: Speaker Nancy Pelosi Asks Trump to Postpone State of the Union Address
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 06:30:37 pm »
That would be that old fossil Steny Hoyer, who thinks he's House Majority Leader.  I don't know if the House can refuse to hear the SOTU because it's Constitutionally required.
@Cyber Liberty

I read some of the history and earlier it was a written letter to the two houses; constitution does not say the state of the union has to be given in the US House.  He can't do it there unless he is invited.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 06:32:11 pm »
Wednesday, 12:20 pm central time

"'The State of the Union is off,' Hoyer said, adding that Trump could not convince them to schedule it until Trump reopened the government."

Hoyer was talking out his ass. 

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer’s office walked back his stunning declaration Wednesday afternoon that the State of the Union would not proceed as planned.

“Mr. Hoyer had not read Speaker Pelosi’s letter and mischaracterized it,” Hoyer’s deputy communications director, Mariel Saez, told the Washington Examiner.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:34 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

I read some of the history and earlier it was a written letter to the two houses; constitution does not say the state of the union has to be given in the US House.  He can't do it there unless he is invited.

Interesting @Victoria33   I hope Trump gives the speech elsewhere and lets the Pelosi driven, ultra liberal segment of the House kiss his butt.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:51 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

???Can't he give his state of the Union address from the Oval office??  I thought that's where it was typically done.   
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2019, 06:35:02 pm »
That would be that old fossil Steny Hoyer, who thinks he's House Majority Leader.  I don't know if the House can refuse to hear the SOTU because it's Constitutionally required.

It’s constitutionally required for the president to provide it. It can be in a letter. Nothing guarantees he can deliver it on the House floor. Pelosi can rescind the invitation, but she has not, yet. Hoyer was uninformed and talking out of turn.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 06:35:33 pm »
???Can't he give his state of the Union address from the Oval office??  I thought that's where it was typically done.

This is a matter of tradition and practice and not a constitutional one.  Trump can give this address anywhere he wishes and I hope he does not even attempt to give it in a place now ruled by a bad witch.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2019, 06:36:00 pm »
Likely by tonight Pelosi and staff will get their act together and we will know what is actually going to happen - maybe.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2019, 06:39:24 pm »
The Constitution requires that the SOTU be presented to Congress (House and Senate) but does not say how or even a specific recurrence. However, in the same clause, it also gives the President authority to convene Congress for an emergency session.  The SOTU wasn't even a televised 'ra ra' rally until LBJ.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 06:40:36 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

OK, then give the SOTU Address to the Senate and let the people see the entire House boycott the speech.  Give Pelosi the transcript and call it good.

The Rats are afraid of another debacle like last week's address.  I would like to see that...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 06:43:33 pm »
Trump has always been desperately needy of attention.
This gives him the opportunity to seize the moment by
going directly to the people in the humblest of settings;
a school house auditorium filled w/youth from 6 to 18
or will he again miss an opportunity in exchange for the
horse manure that masquerades as statesmanship
in the Congress.

Offline ABX

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 06:43:59 pm »
OK, then give the SOTU Address to the Senate and let the people see the entire House boycott the speech.  Give Pelosi the transcript and call it good.

The Rats are afraid of another debacle like last week's address.  I would like to see that...

Or call them back in an emergency session and pull them off their beach vacation. The same clause in the Constitution that calls for a SOTU, gives that power.

Offline ABX

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:35 pm »
Trump has always been desperately needy of attention.
This gives him the opportunity to seize the moment by
going directly to the people in the humblest of settings;
a school house auditorium filled w/youth from 6 to 18
or will he again miss an opportunity in exchange for the
horse manure that masquerades as statesmanship
in the Congress.

Per the Constitution, the SOTU is a report to Congress, not a 'ra ra' rally to the people.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2019, 06:54:58 pm »
He should give the SOTU next to an empty chair.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2019, 06:56:54 pm »
Per the Constitution, the SOTU is a report to Congress, not a 'ra ra' rally to the people.

The State of the Union has in the past been televised.  That IS what Pelosi is afraid of and that IS why she is requesting a delay.

There is NOTHING stipulating that he can't give his SOTU from any specific place.  Again, Nancy can pack sand and I hope he tells her just that.  IF she doesn't want to attend, that's certainly her choice.

What she probably wants is the opportunity then to rebut the SOTU in some and she's worried about making an absolute azz out of herself again.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 07:02:57 pm »
I'm waiting for the tweet:  "The SOTU just got 10 minutes longer!" 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline bilo

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 07:04:47 pm »
The State of the Union has in the past been televised.  That IS what Pelosi is afraid of and that IS why she is requesting a delay.

There is NOTHING stipulating that he can't give his SOTU from any specific place.  Again, Nancy can pack sand and I hope he tells her just that.  IF she doesn't want to attend, that's certainly her choice.

What she probably wants is the opportunity then to rebut the SOTU in some and she's worried about making an absolute azz out of herself again.

He should give it in s swing state at an arena filled with State level and below Pubs. People should be respectful and avoid turning it into a campaign rally. To heck with the swamp, TAKE THE sTATE OF THE UNION TO AMERICA.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 07:05:37 pm »
He should give the SOTU next to an empty chair.

What Hollywood conservative was it who did the 'empty chair' thing?

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 07:06:13 pm »
What Hollywood conservative was it who did the 'empty chair' thing?

Clint Eastwood
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ABX

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2019, 07:12:04 pm »

Just since LBJ. I would rather him get out of constant campaign mode. I think that's one of the problems, he wants the optics and fight, but not the solution. Just like this border wall issue, there are so many paths to just doing it that are within the law, including declaring an emergency (which is says it is).

I have a theory, call it Professor AB's Theorem.   Basically, Trump is Waging an ‘Endless Campaign’. Trump doesn’t want to govern. He only wants to campaign because governing would make him responsible for what is happening. He doesn’t want to compromise.

As he campaigns, he’s always opposing these mythical, mysterious people, powerful forces who are actually the ones doing all this stuff to the country (Deep State). They’re the ones causing the problems and crisis. They are the ones, whoever they are. But Trump is fighting ’em. He’s been fighting ’em for two years and they’ve been around a lot longer than Trump.

He does have support, on an emotional level with the voters. And if you look at the election, what I suggest is that President Trump did something extremely effective. He ran it like a jury trial. He knew he was on trial. He found someone else to blame, the Deep State. So he’s trying to continue down that road because he knows that he has, as the president, a very strong bully pulpit, and he’s excellent at being able to talk directly to voters.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:07 pm »
Give it from the Oval Office.  Explain that it is normally done in the House, but they are currently on vacation and didn't want to be interrupted. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2019, 07:14:16 pm »
Or give it from the floor of the Senate.  Democrats optional.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ABX

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2019, 07:14:34 pm »
Give it from the Oval Office.  Explain that it is normally done in the House, but they are currently on vacation and didn't want to be interrupted.

That would be good. I don't want a rally, but what you described would be a perfect way to represent the office he holds respectfully and get out of permanent campaign mode.

Offline verga

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2019, 07:23:45 pm »
San Fran Nan is terrified that he will have Angel families there and point them out.
If he is smart he will use this as an opportunity to clearly and concisely present the case for a border wall.
Point out some of the wasteful spending that Congress has done in just the past 12 months and explain just how much money a wall will save.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2019, 07:24:51 pm »
Do not delay the SOTU address.

Do not give the address from the Oval Office.

Give the speech from the well of the Senate …. invite all members of both Houses.

Let the effing chips fall where they may.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2019, 07:33:11 pm »

@ABX

You said, "I think that's one of the problems, he wants the optics and fight, but not the solution. Just like this border wall issue, there are so many paths to just doing it that are within the law, including declaring an emergency (which is says it is).  I have a theory, call it Professor AB's Theorem.   Basically, Trump is Waging an ‘Endless Campaign’. Trump doesn’t want to govern. He only wants to campaign because governing would make him responsible for what is happening."

YES, plus blaming the mysterious deep state as you said.