Author Topic: Trump unloads on James Mattis, says he 'essentially' fired defense secretary  (Read 5667 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Trump unloads on James Mattis, says he 'essentially' fired defense secretary
Steven Nelson
1 hr ago

President Trump denounced former Defense Secretary James Mattis on Wednesday, saying at a cabinet meeting he "essentially" fired the former Marine Corps general from the top Pentagon post.

"What's he done for me? How had he done in Afghanistan? Not too good," Trump said, according to a Bloomberg News journalist, who reported a quote relayed by a colleague in the room.

"As you know, President Obama fired him, and essentially so did I," Trump said at the meeting, attended by Mattis' replacement, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan.

more
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-unloads-on-james-mattis-says-he-essentially-fired-defense-secretary/ar-BBRJ7NL?ocid=spartandhp
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
What kind of convention will the GOP have next year if all of these people are fired?  There are all of these hard feelings?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
"I wish him well. I hope he does well. But, as you know, President (Barack) Obama fired him and essentially so did I," Trump said. "I want results."

-snip-

"What's he done for me? How has he done in Afghanistan? Not too good. Not too good. I'm not happy with what he's done in Afghanistan and I shouldn't be happy," Trump said.

Funny....he had a different opinion in September.

“I think he’s a terrific person, he’s doing a fantastic job as secretary of defense,” Trump said.

When asked by a reporter if Mattis would stay in his job, Trump quickly replied: “He’ll stay right there. We’re very happy with him. We’re having a lot of victories, we’re having victories people don’t even know about. And he’s very respected.”

https://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/880418?section=politics&keywords=jim-mattis-donald-trump-defense-secretary-white-house&year=2018&month=09&date=05&id=880418&oref=r.search.yahoo.com
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Night Hides Not

Who in their right mind would want to work for Trump? The best adjective I can think of for this man Trump is “mercurial”.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline kevindavis007

The running the Government like The Apprentice has to stop.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Online Right_in_Virginia

Who in their right mind would want to work for Trump?

Let me ask your question a little differently.  Why did Mattis apply for and accept a position knowing it would pit him against his boss and CIC on so many issues, including:  Pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement, pulling out of the Iran "Deal", ending the 17 year legacy military stalemate in Afghanistan, ending our tour in Syria while setting up regional and international replacements.

Every action the President has taken was known by anyone who listened to him during his campaign.  I'm sure the President discussed this very agenda during his interview with Mattis.

Why did Mattis lie and agree with this agenda to get the job?  What the hell did Mattis think would happen @Night Hides Not ?

Offline kevindavis007

Let me ask your question a little differently.  Why did Mattis apply for and accept a position knowing it would pit him against his boss and CIC on so many issues, including:  Pulling out of the Paris Climate Agreement, pulling out of the Iran "Deal", ending the 17 year legacy military stalemate in Afghanistan, ending our tour in Syria while setting up regional and international replacements.

Every action the President has taken was known by anyone who listened to him during his campaign.  I'm sure the President discussed this very agenda during his interview with Mattis.

Why did Mattis lie and agree with this agenda to get the job?  What the hell did Mattis think would happen @Night Hides Not ?

How did you know that Mattis lied? Unlike President Bone Spurs, he did serve in the Military?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline edpc

Mattis did not ‘apply’ for SecDef. He was recommended by members of the transition team, partly because he had disagreed with the Obama admin approach to Iran. He was hawkish on Iran and knew they were the primary source of trouble in the ME. That’s why he was unceremoniously dismissed by Obama. Once the deal was made, he felt it was imperfect. However, he felt staying in a bad deal gave us better options than no deal at all. Stick to FLOTUS fashion and other fluff pieces. You’re going to hurt yourself trying to be substantive.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:41:42 am by edpc »

Offline Night Hides Not

To suggest Mattis "lied" to get the job is specious and meritless. He didn't have to agree with every one of Trump's positions, many of which have changed over the past two years. But that's not lying. By all accounts, he served his President faithfully and honorably. Trump owed Mattis more for his service than his derisive tweet.

Trump appears to be blind to the fact that federal employees take an oath to the Constitution, not an oath of fealty to the President.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline goodwithagun

I’d vote for Mad Dog in 2020, and not just because the slogan is awesome.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What kind of convention will the GOP have next year if all of these people are fired?  There are all of these hard feelings?

Good question, but change is hard and particularly for those who have enriched themselves under the current bastardization of our system of government.  They will resist with everything they have.  As I've said before, I don't care for Trump personally, but if we want anything significant to change, it's going to cause some significant political earthquakes.  Judging by Trump's actions, he understands that.

Mattis wanted to stay in Syria.  The more I learn about that, the more convinced that we shouldn't be there, and that the 0bama administration is responsible for creating the current problems there.

Offline Night Hides Not

I’d vote for Mad Dog in 2020, and not just because the slogan is awesome.

Four star generals don't appeal to me as presidential candidates, notwithstanding Ike, which was a different era. As a rule, I toss all general/flag officers in that bucket. By the time one reaches that rank, they're accustomed to having their rears kissed incessantly, rarely having their decisions questioned. I prefer someone who has a combination of military and private sector experience...but that's me.

I don't expect a serious challenge to Trump's nomination.

Offline goodwithagun

Four star generals don't appeal to me as presidential candidates, notwithstanding Ike, which was a different era. As a rule, I toss all general/flag officers in that bucket. By the time one reaches that rank, they're accustomed to having their rears kissed incessantly, rarely having their decisions questioned. I prefer someone who has a combination of military and private sector experience...but that's me.

I don't expect a serious challenge to Trump's nomination.

So he’s the military version of Trump?  :silly:

Anyway, he’s firing the same person that Obama fired. Is trump an idiot for hiring Mattis, or is trump and idiot for firing Mattis?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Mattis did not ‘apply’ for SecDef. He was recommended by members of the transition team,

It doesn't matter who recommended Mattis.  The moment he met with the President-elect for an interview, he was applying for the job.

Online Right_in_Virginia

To suggest Mattis "lied" to get the job is specious and meritless. He didn't have to agree with every one of Trump's positions...

It's not meritless or specious @Night Hides Not   Look at the litany of policies Mattis disagreed with the President on.

Mattis sure in hell had to agree or lead the President he agreed with the big ticket items ... those actions he would take as President that he campaigned on.  Put another way, if Mattis had told the President prior to getting the job that he thought the United States should stay in the Paris Climate Agreement, the Iran deal, Afghanistan for the next decade and Syria without an end date I'm pretty sure the President-elect would have respectfully shaken Mattis' hand and moved on to the next candidate.

If you don't like the word "lie", let's go with "disingenuous".

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 02:36:06 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline edpc

It doesn't matter who recommended Mattis.  The moment he met with the President-elect for an interview, he was applying for the job.

No, because some people have a sense of duty, if the president calls on them. See William Barr.

Those familiar with the discussions said Barr, having already been attorney general, doesn’t feel a particular ambition for the position but does feel a sense of duty to take it if offered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/william-barr-is-leading-attorney-general-candidate-in-trump-discussions/2018/12/06/468e8940-f905-11e8-863c-9e2f864d47e7_story.html?utm_term=.9806982b3a62

Offline kevindavis007

It's not meritless or specious @Night Hides Not   Look at the litany of policies Mattis disagreed with the President on ..... after he got the job. 

Mattis sure in hell had to agree or lead the President he agreed with the big ticket items ... those actions he would take as President that he campaigned on.  Put another way, if Mattis had told the President prior to getting the job that he thought the United States should stay in the Paris Climate Agreement, the Iran deal, Afghanistan for the next decade and Syria without an end date I'm pretty sure the President-elect would have respectfully shaken Mattis' hand and moved on to the next candidate.

If you don't like the word "lie", let's go with "disingenuous".

Sorry, I tend to take Mattis side over President Bone Spurs..

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What kind of convention will the GOP have next year if all of these people are fired?   

@TomSea

A better one with all the Globalists over with the Dims?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Right_in_Virginia

No, because some people have a sense of duty, if the president calls on them. See William Barr.

William Barr has publically stated he is there to implement the President's policies and agenda.

I stand by my assessment of Mattis' sincerity and candor.... the lack thereof.

Offline kevindavis007

William Barr has publically stated he is there to implement the President's policies and agenda.

I stand by my assessment of Mattis' sincerity and candor.... the lack thereof.

and bow down to the Draft Dodger right?

Online Right_in_Virginia

Sorry, I tend to take Mattis side over President ..

But without justification in this case.  No one becomes a general without an advanced degree in politics, and in this case the combination of misguided politics and hubris caused Mattis to underestimate the President's commitment to fulfilling his promises and overestimate who would win a head-butting showdown.

All this could have been avoided if Mattis had been honest, even with himself, and not accepted the position. 

Offline edpc

Which has nothing to do with actively seeking or desiring the job.

Offline kevindavis007

But without justification in this case.  No one becomes a general without an advanced degree in politics, and in this case the combination of misguided politics and hubris caused Mattis to underestimate the President's commitment to fulfilling his promises and overestimate who would win a head-butting showdown.

All this could have been avoided if Mattis had been honest, even with himself, and not accepted the position.

How did you know that Mattis lied and not President Bone Spurs??

BassWrangler

Who in their right mind would want to work for Trump? The best adjective I can think of for this man Trump is “mercurial”.

An ever decreasing pool of people. I have read that People in less visible positions are even removing it from their resumes.

BassWrangler

@Right_in_Virginia

To swallow this Trump as all-knowing, all-wise, never-at-fault belief system, one must believe an increasingly large percentage of previously lauded people must be either incompetent or part of some anti-Trump conspiracy. I wonder at what point will you die-hard Trumpsters have your Occam's Razor moment. Or will you still be clinging to this sinking ship as it goes under, like some civilian version of Captain Queeg, muttering about the strawberries (deep state)?