Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46572 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #450 on: August 28, 2019, 05:35:24 pm »
That was the one game that I thought the Rays might be able to win....  Uncle Charlie on the mound..... and yes, I expected a great pitcher's duel!!   oh well....

I don't blame you for following them as closely as you can....  you guys have a special team there!!

Enjoy them to the max!!

:beer:

Will do as this is likely the last year this team will be together.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #451 on: August 28, 2019, 05:37:11 pm »
That was the one game that I thought the Rays might be able to win....  Uncle Charlie on the mound..... and yes, I expected a great pitcher's duel!!   oh well....

I don't blame you for following them as closely as you can....  you guys have a special team there!!
The wildest part: the Astros are doing it despite rivaling the Yankees for injured-list residents for the most part. A lot of their injuries kill teams without their depth.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #452 on: August 28, 2019, 05:44:12 pm »

Maybe not as bad as we think.  Cole and Correa are the 2 pieces I think are the most likely to go.  If we get even 50% production from farm (Tucker and Whitley, offensively and pitching) we should be just fine.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #453 on: August 28, 2019, 05:49:07 pm »
@Bigun
Not necessarily. They'll be together at least for another run in 2020 and I wouldn't bet against them at all for that.

Major key number one beyond: Re-signing Jose Altuve, if they can. They're in a position to think about extending him and getting it done before the last two years on his current contract expire. Right now, they are. A lot will depend on whether those players not yet arbitration eligible become more expensive over time and how much more so in arbitration before Altuve hits his first free agency. If they do to enough extent and the Astros decide they can't afford to keep Altuve, that would be the biggest blow to them. If any Astro is the real heart and soul of this team, it's him. Losing him would be tantamount to the day Duke Ellington lost his great alto saxophonist Johnny Hodges forever.

The better news: George Springer, Carlos Correa (when he returns from the IL), and Lance McCullers Jr. (when he returns) are still early in their primes. Alex Bregman probably hasn't reached his highest potential just yet and he's already one of the best in the American League. And there are more coming through the organisational pipeline who have upside enough to keep the Astros competitive enough that they can play the free agent markets prudently, maybe enough so that all those factors combine to tell them keeping Jose Altuve is worth it, after all.

I see the Astros still able to make runs in 2020 and even 2021. Beyond that? It's a crap shoot. Even as brainy as the Astros' brain trusts are, they're not that far from their greatest challenge.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #454 on: August 28, 2019, 05:56:49 pm »
@Bigun
Not necessarily. They'll be together at least for another run in 2020 and I wouldn't bet against them at all for that.

Major key number one beyond: Re-signing Jose Altuve, if they can. They're in a position to think about extending him and getting it done before the last two years on his current contract expire. Right now, they are. A lot will depend on whether those players not yet arbitration eligible become more expensive over time and how much more so in arbitration before Altuve hits his first free agency. If they do to enough extent and the Astros decide they can't afford to keep Altuve, that would be the biggest blow to them. If any Astro is the real heart and soul of this team, it's him. Losing him would be tantamount to the day Duke Ellington lost his great alto saxophonist Johnny Hodges forever.

The better news: George Springer, Carlos Correa (when he returns from the IL), and Lance McCullers Jr. (when he returns) are still early in their primes. Alex Bregman probably hasn't reached his highest potential just yet and he's already one of the best in the American League. And there are more coming through the organisational pipeline who have upside enough to keep the Astros competitive enough that they can play the free agent markets prudently, maybe enough so that all those factors combine to tell them keeping Jose Altuve is worth it, after all.

I see the Astros still able to make runs in 2020 and even 2021. Beyond that? It's a crap shoot. Even as brainy as the Astros' brain trusts are, they're not that far from their greatest challenge.

????

Altuve's under contract until 2024......  That's 5 years, and 35 years old.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:58:10 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #455 on: August 28, 2019, 05:58:34 pm »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #456 on: August 28, 2019, 06:04:00 pm »
@EasyAce

Altuve's contract extension already happened in March:

www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-Jose-Altuve-sign-long-term-contract-million-12763890.php
@GrouchoTex
@catfish1957
I've never been so relieved to sit corrected. I must have missed that one while watching a lot of other things, around the Astros and elsewhere. (Like everyone else, just about, I was watching the Harper/Machado sweepstakes and thrown for the loop when the Angels made Mike Trout an Angel for life. Talk about sneaking a great one under the radar, which is just what the Astros did with the Altuve extension!)

That's great for the Astros. Like I said, Altuve's their heart and soul. But even with Altuve locked down, the Astros still look like they'll face a couple of challenges come 2021-2022. One of them may be named George Springer, who's probably tied for second with Alex Bregman (he's locked in until after the 2024 season) in the heart-and-soul department. If I'm the Astros, I'd like very much not to lose Springer, either.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2019, 06:05:36 pm »
@GrouchoTex
@catfish1957
I've never been so relieved to sit corrected. I must have missed that one while watching a lot of other things, around the Astros and elsewhere. (Like everyone else, just about, I was watching the Harper/Machado sweepstakes and thrown for the loop when the Angels made Mike Trout an Angel for life. Talk about sneaking a great one under the radar, which is just what the Astros did with the Altuve extension!)

That's great for the Astros. Like I said, Altuve's their heart and soul. But even with Altuve locked down, the Astros still look like they'll face a couple of challenges come 2021-2022. One of them may be named George Springer, who's probably tied for second with Alex Bregman (he's locked in until after the 2024 season) in the heart-and-soul department. If I'm the Astros, I'd like very much not to lose Springer, either.

Springer, Alvarez and (yes) Correa.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2019, 06:10:18 pm »
Springer, Alvarez and (yes) Correa.
Correa becomes a free agent for the first time in 2022; his first arbitration will be for next season, I think. If he returns to health and stays there with even his current productivity level, the Astros may find him becoming a little on the pricy side, too, by the time he reaches his free agency eligibility. Things are really going to start getting tricky for them in 2022.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #459 on: August 28, 2019, 06:16:29 pm »

One of them may be named George Springer, who's probably tied for second with Alex Bregman (he's locked in until after the 2024 season) in the heart-and-soul department. If I'm the Astros, I'd like very much not to lose Springer, either.

Crane has done a great job of opening up the checkbook.  But you are right about the Springer-Bregman predicament. I just don't see how Luhnow signs both without blowing the lid on salaries, and Luxury Taxes.

IMO, Bregman has a higher ceiling, but Springer is a better choice as a solid consistent dependable high end contributor.  Glad I won't have to make that decison.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2019, 06:19:35 pm »
Correa becomes a free agent for the first time in 2022; his first arbitration will be for next season, I think. If he returns to health and stays there with even his current productivity level, the Astros may find him becoming a little on the pricy side, too, by the time he reaches his free agency eligibility. Things are really going to start getting tricky for them in 2022.

There are a lot of whispers in Astroville about Correa, his mystery injuries, and his fiance' who I believe has aspirations for them in the  LA / NY bright lights.  I don't think Correa will stay in Houston.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2019, 06:21:33 pm »
Crane has done a great job of opening up the checkbook.  But you are right about the Springer-Bregman predicament. I just don't see how Luhnow signs both without blowing the lid on salaries, and Luxury Taxes.

IMO, Bregman has a higher ceiling, but Springer is a better choice as a solid consistent dependable high end contributor.  Glad I won't have to make that decison.
@catfish1957
Luhnow's on the threshold of learning (hopefully not the hard way) the biggest differences between building/rebuilding an organisation and sustaining it. I'm glad I won't have to make those decisions either.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #462 on: August 28, 2019, 06:27:19 pm »

Bregman is locked in for 5 more years also:

www.si.com/mlb/2019/03/19/alex-bregman-astros-deal-extension

Springer, Alvarez and Correa.....

who stays?

Who goes?

Who knows?

Obviously, I'd like all 3, but............

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #463 on: August 28, 2019, 06:34:04 pm »
Bregman is locked in for 5 more years also:

www.si.com/mlb/2019/03/19/alex-bregman-astros-deal-extension

Springer, Alvarez and Correa.....

who stays?

Who goes?

Who knows?

Obviously, I'd like all 3, but............

I'd forgotten about the Bregman extension.  Alvarez, being a rookie shouldn't be FA eligible until 2024 too, though at his rate of ascension, his arbitration numbers might get pretty lofty till then.

Based on that, jettison Correa.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #464 on: August 28, 2019, 06:37:51 pm »
I'd forgotten about the Bregman extension.  Alvarez, being a rookie shouldn't be FA eligible until 2024 too, though at his rate of ascension, his arbitration numbers might get pretty lofty till then.

Based on that, jettison Correa.
Especially if I'm right about Bregman and he's only just begun reaching maximum potential. Alvarez will bear definite watching, of course, but if Bregman continues breaking his ceilings the Astros' pickle will get even more picklish in a few years.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #465 on: August 28, 2019, 07:07:49 pm »
My prediction FWIW:    Gerrit Cole and Carlos Correa will both be gone before the 2020 season rolls around.
Probably Chris Devinski as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #466 on: August 28, 2019, 07:18:52 pm »

Probably Chris Devinski as well.

888mouth

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #467 on: August 28, 2019, 07:37:32 pm »
IF Limbaugh is involved in any negotiations to buy the Royals you can bet your @$$ that a guy who knows plenty about baseball is sitting right there beside him.  Fellow by the name of George Brett.

Exactly, @Bigun !!   :beer:

He and Brett are very good friends.   

Even if Rush only owns 15%...that's a sh*tload of $$$  !!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #468 on: August 28, 2019, 07:44:33 pm »
Well, it looks so far as though the inside track on buying the Royals, if indeed they are for sale, belongs to a group headed by John Sherman, a fellow from Kansas City who has about a 25 percent stake in the Indians but is ready to sell that stake to buy the Royals. And Sherman seems to be very well respected in Kansas City.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #469 on: August 31, 2019, 04:32:30 am »
@DCPatriot
Thought you'd like this . . .

You can get one through Legend-Tee.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #470 on: August 31, 2019, 04:35:20 am »
Royals sold to K.C. businessman, investors group
Led as previously reported by Kansas City area businessman John Sherman.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #471 on: September 03, 2019, 07:46:28 pm »
I'm just going to leave this here ...

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #472 on: September 03, 2019, 07:55:12 pm »
I'm just going to leave this here ...

I'm surprised Rajai Davis didn't need oxygen after that!

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #473 on: September 03, 2019, 08:00:09 pm »
I'm surprised Rajai Davis didn't need oxygen after that!

Oxygen?  I was thinking he might need counseling.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #474 on: September 03, 2019, 08:45:56 pm »
Oxygen?  I was thinking he might need counseling.
That too!