Author Topic: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!  (Read 46589 times)

Online Polly Ticks

Re: BASEBALL 2019---LET'S DO IT!
« Reply #425 on: August 26, 2019, 04:26:12 pm »
HEY!!!

When in hell are the BRAVES ever going to lose another game?   WTH???     :laugh:

@DCPatriot
LOL - I could ask the same question about your boys!
They're both on a tear, that's for sure.
 :beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #426 on: August 26, 2019, 04:44:29 pm »
@GrouchoTex

Goods news, the Astros are now tied with the Yankees for the best record in the American league.

I took this screen shot a few weeks ago to get me through some of the nail-biting times.

I thought the bats were and shoes were fun.

La Piña's bat was my fave.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #427 on: August 26, 2019, 04:49:47 pm »
@DCPatriot
LOL - I could ask the same question about your boys!
They're both on a tear, that's for sure.

@Polly Ticks

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #428 on: August 26, 2019, 06:05:09 pm »
Assuming the Nationals snatch the first National League wild card and win the wild card game, I suspect a postseason duel between the Nationals and the Braves is liable to be a duel to the death. Or, to suicide by bullpen. Whichever comes first. Though lately the Braves' bullpen seems to have ironed out their kinks. But still: If you were to start the postseason now with a Braves-Nationals set, each team's got to be thinking---get past their effective enough starters to abuse the bullpen, the earlier the better. Not to mention, putting muzzles on (for the Braves) Anthony Rendon and Juan Soto, or (for the Nationals) Ronald Acuna, Jr. and (the sleeper surprise for the Braves) Josh Donaldson.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2019, 12:38:58 am »
@Polly Ticks

LOL!  Spoke too soon!    They finally lost a game.

NATS are now 4 back in the lost column.   happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2019, 01:49:55 am »
@Polly Ticks

LOL!  Spoke too soon!    They finally lost a game.

NATS are now 4 back in the lost column.   happy77

@DCPatriot
Darn it, you jinxed us!
 :chairbang:

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #431 on: August 27, 2019, 06:29:28 am »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #432 on: August 27, 2019, 02:14:19 pm »
FYI for Tuesday, August 27

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-tv-celebrates-17th-anniversary-with-free-baseball

STREAM EVERY GAME FREE TODAY (8-27-19)
By Matt Kelly @mattkellyMLB
12:01 AM EDT

MLB.TV will be completely FREE for today only -- so plan accordingly.

The renowned state-of-the-art service is celebrating the 17th anniversary of its first streamed game in 2002 by offering a one-day free trial, with all 15 Major League games streaming for free. Yes, you read that correctly -- it’s a full slate of big league baseball, from first pitch to last out, at your fingertips free of charge. Simply login and watch any available out-of-market game tonight (blackout and other restrictions apply).

Watch today's games

With the September postseason chase just around the corner, there’s no better time to jump in on the action. In Queens, the Cubs and Mets -- a pair of marquee clubs currently chasing the National League Wild Card -- begin a crucial three-game series. Another pair of NL Central contenders in the Cardinals and Brewers will battle in Milwaukee, while the Rays and Astros will stage a potential AL postseason preview in the Lone Star State -- with Cy Young Award contenders Charlie Morton and Justin Verlander dueling on the mound. Elsewhere, the Orioles and Nationals will write another chapter of their Beltway Series rivalry, and the Yankees will take on the Mariners in the Pacific Northwest.

An MLB.TV subscription provides fans with access to...

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2019, 12:28:22 am »

The Astros’ Secret Weapon: Tons of Strikeouts—and Never Striking Out
Houston could become the first team to have the most strikeouts from the mound and the fewest at the plate in the same season since strikeouts were first tracked MLB-wide in 1913

by Jared Diamond
Aug. 27, 2019 7:52 am ET

The Houston Astros are among the favorites to win the World Series, and the reason is shockingly simple: They are really, really good at hitting the ball and really, really good at preventing their opponents from hitting it.

This explanation might sound insultingly obvious. But in reality, what the Astros are doing right now is beyond remarkable—it’s on the verge of being unprecedented. The Astros entered Tuesday with the most strikeouts in the major leagues from the mound and the fewest strikeouts in the major leagues at the plate. No team has done that over a full season since batters’ strikeouts were first tracked MLB-wide in 1913.

That powerful combination isn’t a coincidence. Under the leadership of general manager Jeff Luhnow and his data-driven front office, the Astros have beaten all of their competitors in the race to weaponize perhaps the most important statistic in modern baseball: the strikeout. And it has made them a juggernaut.

“That’s an attribute that a lot of people building teams would like to have,” reliever Will Harris said. “I don’t think that’s by accident. They want guys who have bat-to-ball skills and pitchers that can put guys away.”

Scanning the Astros’ roster, it isn’t difficult to figure out...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-astros-secret-weapon-tons-of-strikeoutsand-never-striking-out-11566906733

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2019, 02:37:14 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #435 on: August 28, 2019, 09:56:05 am »
@DCPatriot

Come on, @Polly Ticks !    This is bullsh*t!!!!

I don't care how the BRAVES are playing...one does NOT lose to the ORIOLES!   One does not get SHUT OUT by the ORIOLES!

What.  The.   Hell.

9999hair out0000

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #436 on: August 28, 2019, 11:06:28 am »
Come on, @Polly Ticks !    This is bullsh*t!!!!

I don't care how the BRAVES are playing...one does NOT lose to the ORIOLES!   One does not get SHUT OUT by the ORIOLES!

What.  The.   Hell.

9999hair out0000

I know! Both our teams were doing well until we made the fatal error of talking about it out loud!

888mouth

Hopefully they'll be able to right their respective ships tonight.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #437 on: August 28, 2019, 11:43:32 am »

I know! Both our teams were doing well until we made the fatal error of talking about it out loud!

888mouth

Hopefully they'll be able to right their respective ships tonight.

Y'all both just Dodger  snacks anyway.

See you later gotta run.......    :cool:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #438 on: August 28, 2019, 12:09:52 pm »
Y'all both just Dodger  snacks anyway.

See you later gotta run.......    :cool:

@catfish1957

LOL!   I'm afraid, you're right!    happy77

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #439 on: August 28, 2019, 04:21:59 pm »
Let's start a rumor.....    :smokin:

Is Rush Limbaugh involved in the ongoing negotiations to buy the Kansas City Royals for $1Billion??

He's on 'vacation' this week...just announced last Thursday on air.    happy77

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #440 on: August 28, 2019, 04:29:14 pm »
Let's start a rumor.....    :smokin:

Is Rush Limbaugh involved in the ongoing negotiations to buy the Kansas City Royals for $1Billion??

He's on 'vacation' this week...just announced last Thursday on air.    happy77

Would be nice, but his interest in  NFL team ownership was squished at square 1 several years ago.  SJW laden professional sports would never allow it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #441 on: August 28, 2019, 04:41:28 pm »
Would be nice, but his interest in  NFL team ownership was squished at square 1 several years ago.  SJW laden professional sports would never allow it.
Even without the SJW factor, forget it. From what I've seen, El Rushbo knows about as much about baseball as Connie Mack knew about quantum physics.

Besides, I can't help thinking about an exchange between Brooklyn Dodgers outfield legend Carl Furillo and The Boys of Summer author Roger Kahn, when Kahn bought and owned for awhile the minor league Utica Blue Sox. When Kahn called Furillo (while Kahn was writing the book, he and Furillo rekindled and kept for life a friendship that began when Kahn covered the Boys of Summer for the old New York Herald-Tribune) to tell him about the purchase, Furillo came back with, "You? An owner? You'll be lucky if you don't have two ulcers before Opening Day." If Limbaugh were crazy enough to buy the Royals, he'd be lucky if he didn't have two ulcers before Opening Day.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #442 on: August 28, 2019, 04:45:05 pm »
I guess you Houston Astros fans are happy that your boys got lucky and squeaked by the Rays last night, 15-1.....

:silly:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #443 on: August 28, 2019, 04:49:17 pm »
Even without the SJW factor, forget it. From what I've seen, El Rushbo knows about as much about baseball as Connie Mack knew about quantum physics.

Besides, I can't help thinking about an exchange between Brooklyn Dodgers outfield legend Carl Furillo and The Boys of Summer author Roger Kahn, when Kahn bought and owned for awhile the minor league Utica Blue Sox. When Kahn called Furillo (while Kahn was writing the book, he and Furillo rekindled and kept for life a friendship that began when Kahn covered the Boys of Summer for the old New York Herald-Tribune) to tell him about the purchase, Furillo came back with, "You? An owner? You'll be lucky if you don't have two ulcers before Opening Day." If Limbaugh were crazy enough to buy the Royals, he'd be lucky if he didn't have two ulcers before Opening Day.

IF Limbaugh is involved in any negotiations to buy the Royals you can bet your @$$ that a guy who knows plenty about baseball is sitting right there beside him.  Fellow by the name of George Brett.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #444 on: August 28, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »
I guess you Houston Astros fans are happy that your boys got lucky and squeaked by the Rays last night, 15-1.....

:yowsa:  Had me on the edge of my chair for two whole innings!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #445 on: August 28, 2019, 04:59:44 pm »
IF Limbaugh is involved in any negotiations to buy the Royals you can bet your @$$ that a guy who knows plenty about baseball is sitting right there beside him.  Fellow by the name of George Brett.
Doesn't mean he'd listen to Brett.

I can think of a considerable gathering of owners who had that kind of knowledge to call upon and ignored it like the proverbial plague anyway. George Steinbrenner had tons of it to call upon in the 1980s and his Yankees still went down the drain little by little over that decade. (Reality check, folks: the Yankees didn't return to greatness until Steinbrenner's early 1990s suspension over the Howard Spira/Dave Winfield shenanigans left room for the real baseball people in that front office, particularly GM Gene Michael, to re-tool the team completely without having to worry about Steinbrenner's usual King of Hearts crap every other minute.)

I can even think of owners who got rid of that kind of knowledge when they took over a team or decided it was time to break up a successful team. Or, who did little to nothing after bringing in the people who'd turn good teams into rubble. (The Frank Lane Indians, anyone? The Cam Bonifay-Dave Littlefield Pirates, anyone?)

Come to think of it, I wonder if George Brett might put together a group to buy the Royals. It'd be a rarity, and he'd sure do a better job of it than Derek Jeter seems to be doing with the Marlins so far. And if you can think of any more popular move in Kansas City than George Brett co-owning the Royals . . .

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:01:26 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #446 on: August 28, 2019, 05:03:13 pm »

Should have been a pitcher's duel.

Uncle Charlie, who I like a lot (aka "CFM") got rocked a bit.

Those most interesting thing was Verlander getting tossed.

The Astros won 11-2 against the Angels on Sunday.
Had an off day Monday, and then beat the Rays 15-1.

This team is scary when clicking.

Some people I have asked me why I am following them so closely,watching every game that I possibly can.
Well, I always have, but these last few years, 2015-2019, have been special to me.

I may be exaggerating, but not by much, when I say this is like watching the 1929 Yankees, or the Big Red Machine of the 70's.
These types of teams don't come around everyday.
To have a team in our city for a change is a blessing.

I don't want to miss it.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #447 on: August 28, 2019, 05:25:50 pm »

I don't want to miss it.

Fangraphs has us winning the WS, at right at 30% right now.  Can't remember a team having that good of odds at FG, pre-Septmember.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #448 on: August 28, 2019, 05:26:06 pm »
Should have been a pitcher's duel.

Uncle Charlie, who I like a lot (aka "CFM") got rocked a bit.

Those most interesting thing was Verlander getting tossed.

The Astros won 11-2 against the Angels on Sunday.
Had an off day Monday, and then beat the Rays 15-1.

This team is scary when clicking.

Some people I have asked me why I am following them so closely,watching every game that I possibly can.
Well, I always have, but these last few years, 2015-2019, have been special to me.

I may be exaggerating, but not by much, when I say this is like watching the 1929 Yankees, or the Big Red Machine of the 70's.
These types of teams don't come around everyday.
To have a team in our city for a change is a blessing.

I don't want to miss it.

That was the one game that I thought the Rays might be able to win....  Uncle Charlie on the mound..... and yes, I expected a great pitcher's duel!!   oh well....

I don't blame you for following them as closely as you can....  you guys have a special team there!!

Enjoy them to the max!!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #449 on: August 28, 2019, 05:29:55 pm »
That was the one game that I thought the Rays might be able to win....  Uncle Charlie on the mound..... and yes, I expected a great pitcher's duel!!   oh well....

I don't blame you for following them as closely as you can....  you guys have a special team there!!

Enjoy them to the max!!

C(F'n)M will always hold a warm spot in Astros fan's hearts.  His gutsy (while exhausted) 4 last innings of relief in G7 of the '17 WS, is part of the reason why we won it that year.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:31:00 pm by catfish1957 »