Author Topic: 800,000 government workers may need financial assistance as shutdown continues  (Read 4152 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I'm not wishing hardship on them, but I'm not moved by their whinging either.

When I am in an industry where your income can go from six figures to zero at any time, through factors not of your control, you learn to sack money away for a rainy day, make sure you can meet your obligations with zero income (from savings). I have done that without doing my main career job for as long as two years, supporting my family from savings, because work is tied to global commodity prices. When you're "overqualified" and the "price of oil will come back any day", people won't hire you for slug jobs because they are sure you'll be gone as soon as oil activity picks up.
And Americans regularly cheer such hardships in the form of low gas prices, and even call for more, justifying their celebration because people got paid well for doing a difficult and dangerous job.

So I have little sympathy for people who normally get a steady paycheck and don't prepare for their own economic survival.

Well, sure, but this is the first time the gov has ever been "shut down", so how can we expect them be prepared for it? 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, sure, but this is the first time the gov has ever been "shut down", so how can we expect them be prepared for it?
:silly:
Yeah, right. :pop41:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

Eight hunred thousand people took a job, have done their work and won't get paid.

@Victoria33

Those 800,000 people make on average 70% more money than their private sector counterparts.  They are practically immune from ever losing their jobs.  They get automatic raises.  They get non-merited promotions.  They have Cadillac health insurance policies with low deductibles that the rest of us can no longer afford.  And they have a very generous pension that the overwhelming majority of us in the private sector do not have.  And to top it off, their jobs are never ever ever affected by the ability to turn a profit, which means that they can never be laid off.  Ever.

And for the record, they most definitely will get paid, regardless of whether they worked or not.  Compare that to the furloughed private sector worker who doesn't receive a dime for missed days.

One man's wife died and he won't get a pay check today, and can't put a headstone at her grave.

Trust me, his wife's grave isn't going anywhere.

Trump only thinks of himself and his family, and no one else.  He said workers without their paycheck are Democrats - that means he doesn't care if they die.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Trump since Congress has failed to send him any bill to sign.  Maybe you should take it up with Chuck Schumer since he is the one blocking the Senate from taking a vote.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LegalAmerican

The phrase "800,000 government workers" rather succinctly explains the nature of the problem.

Agree.  Those are considered non-essential.  So why have them?   They will get paid...later.  Government workers don't know, they would be un-paid in a shut down?  PLAN AHEAD.  NO PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK. Bad money management.

It's only been about a week, and already problems for some?  Come on! 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Agree.  Those are considered non-essential.  So why have them?   They will get paid...later.  Government workers don't know, they would be un-paid in a shut down?  PLAN AHEAD.  NO PAYCHECK TO PAYCHECK. Bad money management.

It's only been about a week, and already problems for some?  Come on!
Exactly. Someone is leveraged to the hilt.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

Just think if that wall were built, how much more education money there would be to educate legal Americans. Maybe we we wouldn't constantly be harangued for more and more and more education dollars while seeing less actual educating.

I don't have current break down, I know in 2011, it was $52 billion, just to educate ILLEGAL CHILDREN. 

In 2018, the total expense dealing with ILLEGALS is $ 746.3 BILLION each year, from Immigration site.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:06:32 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline LegalAmerican

All bogus fake "news" by media.  Mortgage is due by 1st, but they give you 15 days grace , before you are hit with penalty.  Then, you can make a deal, to only pay mortgage interest.  Worse case, you can stay in your home 6 months, paying nothing, before action is taken.  If anyone is disabled, children...longer.  You still have to pay, just LATER.

Landlord. That is negotiated. Not as if, it sneaks up on you EVERY MONTH. You know, for years it needs to be paid. One week & people are getting LOANS?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME? 

Offline LegalAmerican

This is some of the most ridiculous posts, I have ever read.  Gravestone?  People can stay dead, WITHOUT ONE.

My president TRUMP has lost millions, given millions to VETERANS, PRIVATE CITIZENS. He take's NO PAY for this ungrateful job!

All he DOES... IS CARE FOR AMERICA & IT'S CITIZENS!    WWW.MAGAPILL.COM   His family does not take any pay either.

Obama took 400 K a year plus perks.  It is just a difficult time for me dealing,  with crazy people. GRAVESTONE IS A NECESSITY?
----------------------------------

Quote from: Victoria33 on Today at 08:24:56 AM
One man's wife died and he won't get a pay check today, and can't put a headstone at her grave.

Trust me, his wife's grave isn't going anywhere.=HOODAT

Trump only thinks of himself and his family, and no one else.  He said workers without their paycheck are Democrats - that means he doesn't care if they die.

Not sure what any of this has to do with Trump since Congress has failed to send him any bill to sign.  Maybe you should take it up with Chuck Schumer since he is the one blocking the Senate from taking a vote.=HOODAT

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This is some of the most ridiculous posts, I have ever read.  Gravestone?  People can stay dead, WITHOUT ONE.

My president TRUMP has lost millions, given millions to VETERANS, PRIVATE CITIZENS. He take's NO PAY for this ungrateful job!

All he DOES... IS CARE FOR AMERICA & IT'S CITIZENS!    WWW.MAGAPILL.COM   His family does not take any pay either.

Obama took 400 K a year plus perks.  It is just a difficult time for me dealing,  with crazy people. GRAVESTONE IS A NECESSITY?
----------------------------------

Trust me, his wife's grave isn't going anywhere.=HOODAT

Not sure what any of this has to do with Trump since Congress has failed to send him any bill to sign.  Maybe you should take it up with Chuck Schumer since he is the one blocking the Senate from taking a vote.=HOODAT

Again another post that makes no sense and has nothing to do with the OP.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I don't have current break down, I know in 2011, it was $52 billion, just to educate ILLEGAL CHILDREN. 

In 2018, the total expense dealing with ILLEGALS is $ 746.3 BILLION each year, from Immigration site.

You keep repeating that BS number the admin doesn’t even recognize.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/record-135-billion-a-year-for-illegal-immigration-average-8-075-each-25-000-in-ny
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

You keep repeating that BS number the admin doesn’t even recognize.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/record-135-billion-a-year-for-illegal-immigration-average-8-075-each-25-000-in-ny

Amen.  I am as anti-immigrant and pro-wall as they come, but still spouting a 3/4 trillion dollar annual costs number is ludicrous.  Jeez the whole  ENTIRE annual GDP is south of $20T. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.