Author Topic: Family sues Universal Orlando theme park over English-only signs after father dies following ride  (Read 872 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Family sues Universal Orlando theme park over English-only signs after father dies following ride
By Avery Anapol - 12/30/18 07:31 PM EST

A Guatemalan family has filed a lawsuit against Universal Orlando Resort after the 38-year-old father died following a ride at the theme park.

The lawsuit accuses the theme park of negligence because its warning signs are only displayed in English, according to USA Today.

Jose Calderon Arana, who had prior heart problems and did not speak English, according to the lawsuit, died in 2016 after going on the “Skull Island: Reign of Kong” ride.

Calderon Arana suffered a heart attack and died at a hospital after the ride, according to the lawsuit, which was filed this month in Orlando.

The ride has a sign posted in English with accompanying diagrams that warns riders  that “people with heart conditions or abnormal blood pressure, back or neck conditions, and expectant mothers” should not go on the ride, according to the report.

more
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/423278-family-sues-universal-orlando-theme-park-over-english-only
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So was this non English speaking person attending the park by himself? Was he also blind and incapable of understanding the warning graphics? My opinion is it's his families responsibility to watch out for their non English speaking relative in a English speaking country, not an excuse for a payday.

Offline goatprairie

Go to another non-English speaking country and try the same thing, and see how far you'll get. Nowhere.
If you've got serious medical problems, you should know enough what things not to try. And if you can't speak or understand the language of the country you're in, don't do stupid things.

Offline montanajoe

Universal Orlando as well as Disney, 3 Flags etc promote their their theme parks heavily in foreign countries in order to attract customers.

The family will probably get a few bucks and there will be lots more warning signs for the non English speaking  customers in all the theme parks ... :shrug:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
He should have pressed 2 for Spanish.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
"A man's gotta know his own limitations."

Maybe the grieving attorneys had a client who wanted to collect...

You'd think someone in his entourage would have warned him off.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:18:38 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

Universal Orlando as well as Disney, 3 Flags etc promote their their theme parks heavily in foreign countries in order to attract customers.

The family will probably get a few bucks and there will be lots more warning signs for the non English speaking  customers in all the theme parks ... :shrug:

I know Disney theme parks already have signs in Spanish and have for at least 30 years.

Offline Applewood

I've been to a few countries where the primary language is not English.  None of them had signs in English and I did not expect them to.  Why does the US always  have to accommodate the Spanish speaking?  And if these companies put up signs in Spanish, then I, as a half Italian, half German, demand signs in those language too.  Only right, no?

Either learn the language or get an interpreter.  We should not have to cater to those who don't speak English.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Do theme parks need to put up the sign in more than just English/Spanish if this lawsuit prevails, I can see 749 various languages displayed. How about the different variations of Spanish (not all Spanish is Spanish to others)... will local dialects need to be posted also.

This is beyond stupid.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Do theme parks need to put up the sign in more than just English/Spanish if this lawsuit prevails, I can see 749 various languages displayed. How about the different variations of Spanish (not all Spanish is Spanish to others)... will local dialects need to be posted also.

This is beyond stupid.
Just put the message on a screen and let them pick their language.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

Just put the message on a screen and let them pick their language.

Actually something like that, say an android app, is probably what their lawyers are going to tell them what to do... :shrug:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Too bad none of the other people on the ride were screaming en espanol, while they were waiting in line.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.