Author Topic: The exodus of New York City’s endangered middle class  (Read 2591 times)

rangerrebew

The exodus of New York City’s endangered middle class
« on: December 24, 2018, 12:40:09 pm »
The exodus of New York City’s endangered middle class

By John Aidan Byrne

December 22, 2018 | 10:41pm

New York City’s shrinking middle class is now in full retreat, as masses of our most endangered population depart the city in numbers not seen since the Depression, according to analysts.

After decades of sharp income erosion in the face of relentless taxes, escalating living costs and wage reductions through technological changes, the full extent of this shocking exodus is laid bare in the latest US Census data.

That shows the city is losing 100 residents each day — with departures exceeding new arrivals.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/the-exodus-of-new-york-citys-endangered-middle-class/
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:40:58 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Re: The exodus of New York City’s endangered middle class
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 02:48:19 pm »
Of course, they're leaving.  Who can afford to live in NYC? 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 02:51:54 pm »
The city is run by communist sympathizers.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 03:10:36 pm »
Leaves more room for Hipsters.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:32:21 pm »

Thanks for the correction.  I wasn't thinking clearly.   888high58888
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:33:14 pm by The Ghost »

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 03:42:10 pm »
Thanks for the correction.  I wasn't thinking clearly.   888high58888
You're welcome, and Merry Christmas (two words that can now get you in trouble if spoken in any number of public places in New York City).
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 04:02:02 pm »
A nice home (read safe neighborhood) in any of the NYC buroughs are $1.2-1.5 million + the corresponding high property taxes

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 04:09:53 pm »
A nice home (read safe neighborhood) in any of the NYC buroughs are $1.2-1.5 million + the corresponding high property taxes

I don't see how a middle class family could afford that. 

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 04:49:42 pm »
I don't see how a middle class family could afford that.

This house is for sale : $1.6 million-Flushing NY .. In my area this house would be $85-90k maybe 100k  tops.

https://www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/43-11-murray-st-flushing-ny-11355-id324345920.html

@Sanguine

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:51:47 pm by mirraflake »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 04:50:22 pm »
A number of large American cities now have commies or commie thugs as mayors.  NYC has DeBlasio is much more a communist than a capitalist, but he's not quite the thug-loving commie, Ted Wheeler, who is mayor of Portland, Oregon.
How many more major cities will come under the rule of commie mayors in the not too distant future? NYC actually elected moderate Republicans in the recent past i.e. Giuliani and Bloomberg. Maybe those days are over and now they're going full commie for the foreseeable future.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 04:59:21 pm »
This house is for sale : $1.6 million-Flushing NY .. In my area this house would be $85-90k maybe 100k  tops.

Archie and Edith Bunker could never afford to live there today.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 04:59:39 pm »

https://www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/43-11-murray-st-flushing-ny-11355-id324345920.html

@Sanguine

Wow.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 05:09:22 pm »
Same in my neck of the woods. I don't know how anyone who isn't filthy rich can afford to live in the NYC area or San Francisco, for that matter.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 05:09:39 pm »
A classmate of mine retired from his cushy gov't job in DC and moved back to our rural area. He makes $102k a year in retirement. My SIL brother was a branch manager librarian in Vegas  and he retired at age 55 making close to 90k a year in retirement.

I bet the people moving out of NYC are mostly retirees.

No wonder the  damn gov't is broke.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 05:19:31 pm »
We need another wall at the Mason Dixon line.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 05:31:50 pm »
You cant pee off that porch without peeng on the neighbors.

Here is one I have been looking at. I only own a trailer house, on a rented lot but I can probably get at least $20k for it. A good down payment anyway. Out in the country. On a one acre lot.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 05:38:59 pm »
You cant pee off that porch without peeng on the neighbors.

Here is one I have been looking at. I only own a trailer house, on a rented lot but I can probably get at least $20k for it. A good down payment anyway. Out in the country. On a one acre lot.

That's nice, @bigheadfred.  And, with your skills you can turn it into a palace.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 05:41:43 pm »
Archie and Edith Bunker could never afford to live there today.

Those were the days,
And you know where you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again,
Didn't need no welfare states
Everybody pulled his weight,
Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
Those were the days......

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 05:42:22 pm »
Same in my neck of the woods. I don't know how anyone who isn't filthy rich can afford to live in the NYC area or San Francisco, for that matter.
Here's what $1.6 million buys you in my neck of the woods...

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 05:46:13 pm »
That's nice, @bigheadfred.  And, with your skills you can turn it into a palace.

They are raising our lot rent to $300/month. Est. payment here would Aout $435.

And you are right. I could double it's size for not much money since I can do ALL the work myself. From the foundation up.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 05:47:56 pm »
I had a friend who always talked about moving to NYC.  She even spent some time sending resumes, going on interviews and looking at apartments there.  I told her she would never be able to afford to live there, but like most people, she blew me off.  She believed that since she would make far more money working in New York, she could afford the higher cost of living.  We had a falling out last year and as far as I know she is still in much cheaper western PA.  I expect she found out I was right.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 05:50:33 pm »
House looks very European-cool looking .  Get a great alarm system being that far out and no neighbors to keep an eye on your place.  This house you are looking at = prime crime of opportunity.  Our closest neighbor is a 1/3 mile away but we live on a very private dead end road, neighbors keep an eye on thngs and robbers shy away from dead end roads.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 05:54:25 pm by mirraflake »

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 05:55:42 pm »
I had a friend who always talked about moving to NYC.  She even spent some time sending resumes, going on interviews and looking at apartments there.  I told her she would never be able to afford to live there, but like most people, she blew me off.  She believed that since she would make far more money working in New York, she could afford the higher cost of living.  We had a falling out last year and as far as I know she is still in much cheaper western PA.  I expect she found out I was right.

My niece was paying $4000 month rent in DC but she had high paying job.  It's insane.

@Applewood

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 05:58:02 pm »

Pretty much the same around here.

Price  $899,000
    Beds 7
    Baths 7
    9,700 SQ. Feet
    6.00 Acres
    Built