Author Topic: The exodus of New York City’s endangered middle class  (Read 2600 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The exodus of New York City’s endangered middle class
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2018, 06:00:06 pm »
I had a friend who always talked about moving to NYC.  She even spent some time sending resumes, going on interviews and looking at apartments there.  I told her she would never be able to afford to live there, but like most people, she blew me off.  She believed that since she would make far more money working in New York, she could afford the higher cost of living.  We had a falling out last year and as far as I know she is still in much cheaper western PA.  I expect she found out I was right.
It's the classic dilemma:

Go where the jobs are, but housing is unaffordable.

Go where the housing is affordable, but no accessible jobs.

Is it any wonder why we have demagogues like Trump and AOC rising to power now?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 06:09:48 pm »
House looks very European-cool looking .  Get a great alarm system being that far out and no neighbors to keep an eye on your place.  This house you are looking at = prime crime of opportunity.  Our closest neighbor is a 1/3 mile away but we live on a very private dead end road, neighbors keep an eye on things and robbers shy away from dead end roads.

The crime rate out there would be about zero. A security system would be ok. The crime rate where I live now is on the rise. But it is something---word on the street. The local PD knows. DON"T steal from bighead.

I ain't got much anyway. If you think you need to steal from me, let me know in advance. I'll help you load the shit.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2018, 07:07:46 pm »
Just one of the many ways regular folks are getting crowded out of NYC
The Economic Impact of the
United Nations Community
on New York City

https://www.nycedc.com/sites/default/files/filemanager/UN_Impact_Technical_Report.pdf

Within article is costs of $153 million to reap benefits of $3,700 million
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:30 pm »
"1364 N 1200 E  Shelly, ID"

BigheadFred...

Was Shelly originally an LDS-established town?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 12:01:31 am »
"1364 N 1200 E  Shelly, ID"

BigheadFred...

Was Shelly originally an LDS-established town?

I would say yes. Mostly because, We still are. The schools here are very good. As most of the people.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2018, 06:20:27 pm »
We should all immediately suggest our local authorities pass new zoning laws to keep any former resident of NYC from buying or even renting housing.

If we don't,they will continue to suggest the same thing that made them leave NYC be enacted where they now live.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2018, 06:21:56 pm »
This house is for sale : $1.6 million-Flushing NY .. In my area this house would be $85-90k maybe 100k  tops.

https://www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/43-11-murray-st-flushing-ny-11355-id324345920.html

@Sanguine

@mirraflake

HEY! Don't knock it,it has a yard with a tree in it!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 06:31:38 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2018, 06:24:22 pm »
We need another wall at the Mason Dixon line.

@AMEN!

Put up signs along the border that face north and tell them,"You created it,you live in it!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2018, 06:29:03 pm »
House looks very European-cool looking .  Get a great alarm system being that far out and no neighbors to keep an eye on your place.  This house you are looking at = prime crime of opportunity.  Our closest neighbor is a 1/3 mile away but we live on a very private dead end road, neighbors keep an eye on thngs and robbers shy away from dead end roads.

@mirraflake

Home invasions are a thing of cities with gun control laws. You just never hear of them in rural areas unless the story concludes with a story that says something like "both intruders were killed during the invasion".

I have been living up a dirt road in the only house on an island since 1980,and don't have a neighbor within a mile. Yet nobody has ever tried to break in or tried to rob me. People that live in rural areas know better.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2018, 06:29:50 pm »
We should all immediately suggest our local authorities pass new zoning laws to keep any former resident of NYC from buying or even renting housing.

If we don't,they will continue to suggest the same thing that made them leave NYC be enacted where they now live.

A friend and I go to Clearwater Beach every January.  We once chatted with a hotel clerk there and in our conversation, we talked about the "snowbirds" who show up every winter.  She told us that frankly, she was happy to host two western Pennsylvanians and people from other parts of the country.  She really did not like the New Yorkers because as she said, they try to turn the beach community into the same crappy city they left.  I suspect that's true of New Yorkers who own condos in Florida and stay for months on end or those who retire there permanently.