Author Topic: Conservatives voice frustration after Trump signals 'gutless' retreat on border wall  (Read 4629 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I don't often agree with Coulter, but she is absolutely correct!

Conservatives voice frustration after Trump signals 'gutless' retreat on border wall

.........Just over a week after President Trump forcefully suggested he'd risk a government shutdown to secure border wall funding, the White House is now signaling a retreat -- and top conservative commentators and politicians are declaring that the president's "gutless" move has not only broken a campaign promise, but also undermined his credibility as a dealmaker.

"Trump will just have been a joke presidency who scammed the American people, amused the populists for a while, but he’ll have no legacy whatsoever" if he yields on the issue, columnist Ann Coulter told The Daily Caller in a podcast. (Within hours of those critical comments, Trump's official Twitter account stopped following Coulter's.)

And House Freedom Caucus Chair Mark Meadows, R-N.C., told Fox News late Wednesday that "the political fallout will start" soon and that Trump risks doing “major damage” to his re-election effort in 2020.

When asked if the president should veto any stopgap funding bill that does not include money for the border wall, Meadows replied “yes.” He added that the "mistake" Republicans had made was that "we didn’t bring up the bill last week when we had the votes.".........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/conservatives-voice-frustration-after-trump-signals-gutless-retreat-on-border-wall

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Trump is doing more than major damage to his re-election, he is doing irrevocable damage to the GOP.

Does anyone really think he's even going to run again?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline DB

Trump is doing more than major damage to his re-election, he is doing irrevocable damage to the GOP.

Does anyone really think he's even going to run again?

The people who made Trump the head of the GOP are the ones who did irrevocable damage to the GOP. It was highly likely Trump would destroy what was left of the GOP if elected. They wanted to burn it down and they did.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
The people who made Trump the head of the GOP are the ones who did irrevocable damage to the GOP. It was highly likely Trump would destroy what was left of the GOP if elected. They wanted to burn it down and they did.

I don't see that there is a way forward for conservatives anymore.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:13:25 am by libertybele »

Offline DB

I don't see that there is a way forward for conservatives anymore.

The only difference between most of us here is we've arrived at the same conclusion at different times over the last several years.

Many wanted the GOP crushed over its repeated betrayals so they elected a wrecking ball without a thought of where it would actually lead. They just wanted their enemies on their knees.

They got their wrecking ball.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ud3iDCZ_MA

The Wall just got 10 feet higher!

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
What do you expect....... myself, and many others on Day 1 said that Trump was not a conservative.  Or would support conservative causes in the long run.

His hardcore supporters are fully culpable for this disaster.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
This wall abandonment by DJT makes GHWB's "No New Taxes" look like childs play.

GOP better be looking for Plan B come 2020, because Trump will be slaughtered.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Axeslinger

What’s astonishing...I guess...is the complete and utter silence from the AT cheerleaders here.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

This wall abandonment by DJT makes GHWB's "No New Taxes" look like childs play.

GOP better be looking for Plan B come 2020, because Trump will be slaughtered.

If the House impeaches him (wrongly), I am somewhat of a mind that the Senate will vote for removal (very wrongly!) solely because they will view it as their opportunity to get out from under this curse they believe themselves to be suffering and to show how bipartisan they can be..which will ultimately destroy not only trump but themselves as well.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
What’s astonishing...I guess...is the complete and utter silence from the AT cheerleaders here.

Yawn........

Wow, I woke up this mornng from a nightmare where a clown reality TV star had somehow became POTUS and duped the whole country into thinking he was competent.

Wait........

Too early for making Pence 2020 banners?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
If the House impeaches him (wrongly), I am somewhat of a mind that the Senate will vote for removal (very wrongly!) solely because they will view it as their opportunity to get out from under this curse they believe themselves to be suffering and to show how bipartisan they can be..which will ultimately destroy not only trump but themselves as well.

At some point, if Trump had honor, he's announce for medical reasons he is handing the reigns over to Pence. 

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

After this week, I think the damage is done.  Minimizing that damage should be GOP priority 1 for the next two years. 

Also, I don;t think the dims can get the 67 votes for removal.  Offenses as the dims are describing them, won't meet the High Crimes and Misdemenor category.  Trump might be able to create some blowback if he can beat the rap.

Offline Axeslinger

After this week, I think the damage is done.  Minimizing that damage should be GOP priority 1 for the next two years. 

Also, I don;t think the dims can get the 67 votes for removal.  Offenses as the dims are describing them, won't meet the High Crimes and Misdemenor category.  Trump might be able to create some blowback if he can beat the rap.

Don’t kid yourself...it’s ultimately a political calculation only. It’s well within the realm of possibility that enough of those fools in the senate will join the Dems in order to, in their mind, “minimize the damage”.  They’ll find the votes in “safe” states and all the rest will use those senators for cover.

But they can’t abandon him without suffering their own catastrophic blowback, but I firmly believe they are utterly blind to that.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Yawn........

Wow, I woke up this mornng from a nightmare where a clown reality TV star had somehow became POTUS and duped the whole country into thinking he was competent.

Wait........

Too early for making Pence 2020 banners?

Plenty of things could happen in two years. Still, it is telling that a number of people said ‘no thanks’ to the chief of staff position, before he had to settle on an interim choice. I would not be terribly surprised if Barr backed out of the AG position. If you want to read something funny, check out his 1995 essay, where he thought it was the government’s job to ‘restrain sexual immorality.’
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't often agree with Coulter, but she is absolutely correct!

Conservatives voice frustration after Trump signals 'gutless' retreat on border wall

.........Just over a week after President Trump forcefully suggested he'd risk a government shutdown to secure border wall funding, the White House is now signaling a retreat -- and top conservative commentators and politicians are declaring that the president's "gutless" move has not only broken a campaign promise, but also undermined his credibility as a dealmaker.

"Trump will just have been a joke presidency who scammed the American people, amused the populists for a while, but he’ll have no legacy whatsoever" if he yields on the issue, columnist Ann Coulter told The Daily Caller in a podcast. (Within hours of those critical comments, Trump's official Twitter account stopped following Coulter's.)

And House Freedom Caucus Chair Mark Meadows, R-N.C., told Fox News late Wednesday that "the political fallout will start" soon and that Trump risks doing “major damage” to his re-election effort in 2020.

When asked if the president should veto any stopgap funding bill that does not include money for the border wall, Meadows replied “yes.” He added that the "mistake" Republicans had made was that "we didn’t bring up the bill last week when we had the votes.".........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/conservatives-voice-frustration-after-trump-signals-gutless-retreat-on-border-wall

Trump is tricky and the fat lady ain't sung yet,but if he backs off on building the wall he will NOT get re-elected.  It's one thing for the Dims to use congressional tricks to keep him from getting the funding,and another thing to just quit.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@libertybele

Ok,so it ain't all bad.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Axeslinger

I have already written that if he truly gives up on the wall that it is over for him. What more do you want?

Besides,Trump is tricky,and might have something up his sleeve.

Offline Axeslinger

@Axeslinger

I have already written that if he truly gives up on the wall that it is over for him. What more do you want?

Sorry @sneakypete didn’t see anything like that.  I think you’d have to admit that on the whole, the AT crowd has been pretty cowed by this development.   And I don’t blame them.  I also agree w your other statements here on this thread.   

I disagree w your notion that trump has something up his sleeve....I think this is just another indication of his utter lack of guiding principles other than “what’s good for me” and he has made the determination, probably at the prodding of his staff that sticking to his guns on this is bad for him politically.   We don’t see it that way, but we’re not the creatures of the swamp that he has on staff.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 01:32:51 pm by Axeslinger »

Offline RoosGirl

@Axeslinger

I know I've read a lot about how "tricky" Trump is.  I haven't seen it, but perhaps I've just missed it.  I am genuinely curious, what has Trump accomplished while in office by being "tricky" ?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Sorry @sneakypete didn’t see anything like that.  I think you’d have to admit that on the whole, the AT crowd has been pretty cowed by this development.   And I don’t blame them.  I also agree w your other statements here on this thread.   

I disagree w your notion that trump has something up his sleeve....I think this is just another indication of his utter lack of guiding principles other than “what’s good for me” and he has made the determination, probably at the prodding of his staff that sticking to his guns on this is bad for him politically.   We don’t see it that way, but we’re not the creatures of the swamp that he has on staff.

I really think the day in day out of working with Washington Sludge is starting to wear on him.  I had earlier given him a 50/50 chance he runs in 2020...  I think it is now more like 35-40%.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I know I've read a lot about how "tricky" Trump is.  I haven't seen it, but perhaps I've just missed it.  I am genuinely curious, what has Trump accomplished while in office by being "tricky" ?

Tricky?  Not sure the Trump adminstration would appreciate the name meme given to the POTUS who left office in 1974.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Tricky?  Not sure the Trump adminstration would appreciate the name meme given to the POTUS who left office in 1974.

000hehehehe