Author Topic: PLEASE READ: Frustrated opioid patients speak out: 'I now buy heroin on the street'  (Read 10362 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Don't forget to turn in all your firearms to the police.  You are in violation of Federal law the moment you accept the card.  (I know you're kidding!)

LOL!   You mean that if you have a doctor's prescription for cannabis you forfeit you right to keep/bear arms?

Uh-huh......right.

That said, "See you in the mornin" is a strain that targets muscle and nerve pain.

And it works splendidly.   888high58888
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Here's a sign ou're talking with a person who's ignorant of the situation:  If all they can talk about is getting people off the medication, then they don't know what they are talking about.  They assume everybody taking opioids is an addict.

I think folks taking opioids for ten plus years are addicted to the drug .. physically and emotionally.

I also don't think a cold turkey approach is reasonable or humane.  If insurance can pay a for 30 day inpatient rehab for heroine addicts, insurance can pay for the same type of care for long-term opioid use.  During the rehab period not only can the withdrawal be medically managed, but new drug treatments and non-drug expanded treatments can be explored, as well.  The goal would be to have the patient discharged free of opioids and with different and effective modalities for controlling the pain.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline Frank Cannon

@libertybele
@Cyber Liberty
@GtHawk

About seven months ago, I was diagnosed with cervical stenosis due to two neck vertebra collapsing and putting pressure on one nerve that goes through both shoulders and down to the wrists.  One cannot function when both shoulders/wrists cannot be used due to that level of pain.  The severity of the pain can only be known if you have experienced it, too. 

I believe the above is true - one cannot understand/evaluate another person's pain unless the person evaluating has actually had that particular pain. 

Those here who treat pain as a joke, make comments about the pain of others saying they don't need meds, should be shunned by those who know pain.  Don't respond to others who have no understanding of a high level of pain.

Bless all of you who have pain - I wish you a future of less pain so you can function and enjoy your life. Bless those of you who understand the pain of others.
Marcella

Well then as one of the damned here I will ask again. What did people do prior to 1996 to manage pain? Mainline heroin (Heroin)? No large numbers of people were killing themselves like they are now because they are being cut off from narcotics (Opioid). The streets were not awash in Oxi (Opioid) because doctors were handing so many out people are selling excess to make extra scratch. We didn't have this full out free for all we have now over this one single prescription pill (Oxi) (Opioid). 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well then as one of the damned here I will ask again. What did people do prior to 1996 to manage pain? Mainline heroin (Heroin)? No large numbers of people were killing themselves like they are now because they are being cut off from narcotics (Opioid). The streets were not awash in Oxi (Opioid) because doctors were handing so many out people are selling excess to make extra scratch. We didn't have this full out free for all we have now over this one single prescription pill (Oxi) (Opioid).

Frank, all of your questions have been answered upstream.  And, you're conflating several issues.

Online corbe

They've been doing it since before you were born Frank, Ol Doc invented the first chewable Laudanum.

Reddish-brown and extremely bitter, laudanum contains almost all of the opium alkaloids , including morphine and codeine . Laudanum was historically used to treat a variety of conditions, but its principal use was as a pain medication and cough suppressant . Until the early 20th century, laudanum was sold without a prescription and was a constituent of many patent medicines . Today, laudanum is recognized as addictive and is strictly regulated and controlled as such throughout most of the world.

Laudanum - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudanum
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LadyLiberty

They've been doing it since before you were born Frank, Ol Doc invented the first chewable Laudanum.

Reddish-brown and extremely bitter, laudanum contains almost all of the opium alkaloids , including morphine and codeine . Laudanum was historically used to treat a variety of conditions, but its principal use was as a pain medication and cough suppressant . Until the early 20th century, laudanum was sold without a prescription and was a constituent of many patent medicines . Today, laudanum is recognized as addictive and is strictly regulated and controlled as such throughout most of the world.

Laudanum - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudanum

Not to mention that until 1970 you could walk into a pharmacy without a script and buy paregoric.   Opiates were readily available.       

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paregoric

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
LOL!   You mean that if you have a doctor's prescription for cannabis you forfeit you right to keep/bear arms?

That is correct, you forfeit your Second Amendment right.  In CA and HI, where they require registrations of all firearms, they compare the list of Medical Marijuana cardholders and the registration list, then send a nice officer to your home with a warrant to confiscate the weapons.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Hoodat

Why waste your money on heroin when you can get on methadone for about $15/day.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Frank Cannon

Frank, all of your questions have been answered upstream.  And, you're conflating several issues.

Nothing has been answered. People giving me some shuck and jive that prior to Oxi the world was nasty, brutish and short. A smattering of personal antidotes about ailments without admissions that they are taking Oxi. Finally there are a bunch of "You go girl" posts that are meaningless.

Two things are in play here. Either this Oxi hysteria is a figment of the MSM's imagination and they are peddling it to encourage bigger govt' controls and paper circulations or it is being heavily prescribed and abused. My anecdotal evidence say it is extremely widely used. A doctor told me point blank she prescribes it just to shut complainers with mystery pains up so that she can move on to real patients. I have tenants who are taking this shit because of ailments that defy logic. Those people are now being classified as "Really needing it" now since they have an official prescription. When doctors are now forced to back them off because of the increased scrutiny in their lazy diagnosis I am being told I need to feel sorry for these people. 

Second thing in play is the value of Oxi. It is either an over-prescribed disaster or the next most important discovery since penicillin. So many people here are defending this one single little pill for so many varied ailments one would think it is the second coming. Results on the street show otherwise.

Online mountaineer

Not trying to hijack the thread but for moderate joint pain and movement issues I have had Great relief with CBD oil.
I tried it for joint pain and didn't detect any benefit.  :shrug:  I also tried the capsules, also no discernible improvement.

It's hard to know how to dose that product - you just have to experiment. I may try the oil again, if my current round of medical procedures don't relieve the pain.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I tried it for joint pain and didn't detect any benefit.  :shrug:  I also tried the capsules, also no discernible improvement.

It's hard to know how to dose that product - you just have to experiment. I may try the oil again, if my current round of medical procedures don't relieve the pain.

If, for any reason we need CBD, we'll drive over the bridge to Laughlin and get the good stuff.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online mountaineer

I don't mind the concept of CBD made from hemp, which has none of the intoxicating properties of THC. Marijuana - "medical" or otherwise - is another matter. No interest on my part.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

I agree Victoria. I too have chronic pain and so far shots are not working and the pain pills being prescribed are not working....I have heavy duty pain pills which I hoard and take only when I can't take it anymore...a sad state.

@Victoria33
@mystery-ak

I am so very sorry to hear of your chronic pain and yes, unless you have experienced relentless excruciating pain it is difficult to relate to.  I find people who pass judgement on other's pain just plain ignorant. To judge someone when you haven't walked down their path or in their shoes is arrogant and despicable.

Prayers up for both of you and I hope that they will soon come up with some sort of medication(s) or treatment(s) that will give you some relief.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

@mystery-ak   @Victoria33

1) Get a prescription for medical marijuana
2) Find the strain named "See You In The Morning"

You're welcome.   888high58888

Thank you for the information @DCPatriot
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Thank you for the information @DCPatriot

I'll be looking for it.
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Once again I ask. Why is it everyone is on this drug today when 30 years ago no one was and everything was fine?

First of all, that's just bullshit. Morphine addiction (which is the direct historical comparison) has been a long and enduring problem... Morphine was discovered during the civil war... After the civil war, the average morphine addict was likely to be a veteran... By the late 1800-early 1900's the average morphine addict was liable to be a housewife. The FDA was formed primarily to enforce truth in labeling, because the cures and medicines that housewives tended toward were packed with cocaine, morphine, and laudanum.

All the way along, the elderly have been given morphine nearing end-of-life, to deal with unending pain, as have cancer patients, as have anyone with serious pain, short or long term.

If you'd like to go further back, it was opium, wherever the chinaman set foot - you can literally track opiate distribution right along the railways.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:52:14 am by roamer_1 »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@roamer_1  The answers all come so easily to folks who have no idea what they are talking about.  Just like a lot of other subjects. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

Well....closing the border would be a big start.  Make it hard to get the stuff across, because it isn't now.

That's right. Norco is sold over the counter in Mexico at a quarter the price of a prescription hit here in the US... which is far, far less than a street hit.

Don't ask me how I know.

Online roamer_1

Yes.

I wonder what's possible when it comes to minimizing the bad stuff.

There isn't anything but 'bad stuff'... Morphine as an instance: The chronic user is trading long term chronic pain relief for a very likely shortening their of their life by many years and liver failure.

Anything that provides relief is going to be bad for you over all, but at some point quality of life becomes more important than longevity.

Online roamer_1

Won't it be a hoot if you have life changing injury, may your words not come back to haunt you or a close family member. Well I guess you enjoy playing God to other peoples suffering, how special of you..........and your degree in medicine is from who?

BUMP THAT = There but for the grace of God go I...

Online roamer_1

I think folks taking opioids for ten plus years are addicted to the drug .. physically and emotionally.

@Right_in_Virginia
That is not altogether true - I was on norks, vikes or oxys for about that long, but I managed it well, due to my pretty rigid knowledge of my susceptibility to addictive substances. I walked away pretty well, when the hoops became to much to jump through.

I also don't think a cold turkey approach is reasonable or humane. 

The question here is before the fact - Is it reasonable or humane to demand resolution when the addict is in fact using due to chronic pain? I would say no. There is no other way to provide quality of life provided, and to take away the thing that allows them that quality of life is nothing short of cruel.

If insurance can pay a for 30 day inpatient rehab for heroine addicts, insurance can pay for the same type of care for long-term opioid use.  During the rehab period not only can the withdrawal be medically managed, but new drug treatments and non-drug expanded treatments can be explored, as well.  The goal would be to have the patient discharged free of opioids and with different and effective modalities for controlling the pain.

Any opiate addict can walk into a county office and get on the same methadone program as the heroin addict right now. For free.

Online roamer_1

I don't mind the concept of CBD made from hemp, which has none of the intoxicating properties of THC. Marijuana - "medical" or otherwise - is another matter. No interest on my part.

Me neither... But I don't deny it for those who really need it. I have done pretty dang good with willow bark and turmeric milk, though there are still days, and even weeks when I would love to have a vike or four a day....  :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Right_in_Virginia
That is not altogether true - I was on norks, vikes or oxys for about that long, but I managed it well, due to my pretty rigid knowledge of my susceptibility to addictive substances. I walked away pretty well, when the hoops became to much to jump through.

The question here is before the fact - Is it reasonable or humane to demand resolution when the addict is in fact using due to chronic pain? I would say no. There is no other way to provide quality of life provided, and to take away the thing that allows them that quality of life is nothing short of cruel.

Any opiate addict can walk into a county office and get on the same methadone program as the heroin addict right now. For free.

Fact is, severe, untreated pain is going to shorten a life.  May be with the opiates that it's a wash.

Offline RoosGirl

Maybe everyone could just mind their own bleep business and let people do whatever works for them as long as:
1. it's not hurting anyone else
2. no one else is paying for it.

We've all seen the news articles about the thousands of pills being sold in small towns that don't have the population to support the amount of pills and the articles about pill mills being shut down in various locations.  We've had some problems with that here in Florida.  I'm sure there's an answer somewhere in the middle.