Author Topic: Schumer: Trump Is Not Going to Get the Wall in Any Form  (Read 1453 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer: Trump Is Not Going to Get the Wall in Any Form
« on: December 17, 2018, 02:56:53 pm »
16 Dec 2018

Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) declared President Donald Trump was not going to get the U.S.-Mexico border wall “in any form.”

Schumer said, “President Trump should understand there are not the votes for the wall in the House or the Senate. He is not going to get the wall in any form. Even the House which is a majority Republican, they don’t have the votes for his $5 billion wall plan. Ryan, afraid of what’s going to happen, sent all the House home until Wednesday night, a day and a half before the shutdown. They certainly don’t have the votes in the Senate. Now we Democrats, leader Pelosi and I offered the president two options as to how to avoid the shutdown. We should not let a temper tantrum, threats push us in the direction of doing something that everybody even our Republican colleagues know is wrong.”

He added, “Leader McConnell, Chairman Shelby has said we shouldn’t shut down the government. They should join us in one of these two proposals which would get more than enough votes passed and avoid a shutdown. If the president wants to debate the wall next year he can. I don’t think he’ll get it. He shouldn’t use innocent workers as hostage for his temper tantrum to throw a bone to his base.”

https://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/12/16/schumer-trump-is-not-going-to-get-the-wall-in-any-form/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Re: Schumer: Trump Is Not Going to Get the Wall in Any Form
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 03:03:17 pm »
The primary obligation of any government is to protect the country's territory.  A government which refuses to fulfill that obligation should be shut down.
James 1:20

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:23:28 pm »
A government which refuses to fulfill that obligation should be shut down.

Especially if the admin proposing the barrier isn’t taking it seriously.

U.S. Army soldiers have removed barbed wire along the US-Mexico border in areas where the Trump administration has said more border security measures are needed after local community leaders raised concerns.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-argues-wall-border-security-measure-pulled-back/story?id=59830679
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:34:19 pm »
DoD is fully funded for the rest of the fiscal year. Trump got more than bargained for so could and should order them to build the wall where needed.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 04:51:16 pm »
DoD is fully funded for the rest of the fiscal year. Trump got more than bargained for so could and should order them to build the wall where needed.

Most of that money is marked for specific spending. To repurpose the funds, Congressional approval is required.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 05:00:30 pm »

Most of that money is marked for specific spending. To repurpose the funds, Congressional approval is required.

Assuming for a moment trump IS serious, I wonder if there's not something that he can do as CinC without congress. After all, presidents now routinely cite national security as a reason they need to execute limited military action.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 05:03:54 pm by skeeter »

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 05:01:21 pm »
   I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Trump has only spent 6% of the $1.3B Congress allocated for border security in FY 2018, could be fake news.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 05:10:10 pm »
   I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Trump has only spent 6% of the $1.3B Congress allocated for border security in FY 2018, could be fake news.

Maybe this is why.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2017/07/29/border-wall-contracts-delayed-pro-migration-ceo/

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 05:29:56 pm »
Assuming for a moment trump IS serious, I wonder if there's not something that he can do as CinC without congress. After all, presidents now routinely cite national security as a reason they need to execute limited military action.

Sure, you pretty much saw that in the deployment, prior to the mid terms. What they did was about as far as they could take it. They could increase the number of personnel, but not really expand the scope of what they can do.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 05:49:28 pm »

Sure, you pretty much saw that in the deployment, prior to the mid terms. What they did was about as far as they could take it. They could increase the number of personnel, but not really expand the scope of what they can do.

It seems to me that bombing the crap out of a sovereign nation, Serbia for example, in an undeclared war exceeds in scope the building of a simple border barrier. Alas I'm sure congress would disagree.

Offline edpc

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 06:14:55 pm »
It seems to me that bombing the crap out of a sovereign nation, Serbia for example, in an undeclared war exceeds in scope the building of a simple border barrier. Alas I'm sure congress would disagree.

That was justified under the NATO charter and technical observations of specific charters with the UN. If something similar could be used, I’m sure WH lawyers have/are exploring it.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 02:13:45 am »

If the amount to be reprogrammed (correct term) is under a certain amount and within the same appropriations, nothing is required with respect to Congress.  If over that threshold, what ever that is, then Congress only has to be “notified”.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:37:52 am by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 02:17:12 am »
Schumer: Trump Is Not Going to Get the Wall in Any Form

It's America's wall, you treasonous bastard.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 05:35:42 am »
MSM has pointed out that these caravans are well organized.  They have created a government within their caravan.  Trump has pointed out that they carry the flags of their country.  Now they have admitted that it is a political invasion.  Asking for reparations for what the U.S. has done to Honduras.

Its a political invasion.  So why can't we declare it as an invasion?  The Constitution states that government must protect states against invasion.

U.S. Constitution
Article 4 Section 4

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 05:36:36 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 07:28:08 am »
It's America's wall, you treasonous bastard.

@Hoodat

Chuckie MIGHT care as much about Israel as he does Chuckie,but he doesn't give a damn about America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!