Author Topic: Remedial Education Too Common and Costly, Report Says  (Read 3905 times)

rangerrebew

Remedial Education Too Common and Costly, Report Says
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:38:07 pm »

Remedial Education Too Common and Costly, Report Says

A recently released report from the Center for American Progress has examined the remedial education system currently in place in the United States, calling it a “black hole” from which students are unlikely to pull themselves out of.

The report, “Remedial Education: The Cost of Catching Up,” states that millions of students enroll in college each year across the country and discover that they need to take remedial education courses.  Teaching students what they should have learned in high school, these courses do not count toward a degree program, but still come with a financial price tag.  Estimates suggest the courses are costing students and their families in all 50 states close to $1.3 billion each year.

The authors say that students who enroll in these courses are less likely to graduate.

https://www.educationnews.org/higher-education/remedial-education-too-common-and-costly-report-says/

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Remedial Education Too Common and Costly, Report Says
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:43:52 pm »
It's a shame that enormous classrooms, limited supplies and shitty pay are mitigating the quality of our public education.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:39:52 pm »
@Sanguine 

This relates to what I was referring to on another thread about "School-to-work."  If a student wants to break the predetermination that was made in Middle School that he/she isn't "college material," that student has to enter what this author refers to as a "black hole."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:41:21 pm »
It's a shame that enormous classrooms, limited supplies and shitty pay are mitigating the quality of our public education.

Then by all means, we must throw more money at Public Education.  It's those skinflints in Congress...

Fortunately, the Teacher Union's pets are in charge now.  Yaay us.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 06:44:59 pm »
@Sanguine 

This relates to what I was referring to on another thread about "School-to-work."  If a student wants to break the predetermination that was made in Middle School that he/she isn't "college material," that student has to enter what this author refers to as a "black hole."

A couple of reasons why this may not be so popular with the education establishment: students who have worked and are employable are less likely to accept leftist dogma, and they are also less malleable due to college being an option and not a given. They can walk away and still have a good, fulfilling life. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
A couple of reasons why this may not be so popular with the education establishment: students who have worked and are employable are less likely to accept leftist dogma, and they are also less malleable due to college being an option and not a given. They can walk away and still have a good, fulfilling life.

A great post!  Thanks for answering my ping, because I really want to know what a real Educator thinks about all this.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 06:48:08 pm »
Then by all means, we must throw more money at Public Education.  It's those skinflints in Congress...

Fortunately, the Teacher Union's pets are in charge now.  Yaay us.

It beats the hell out of throwing more money at globalism.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:51:57 pm »
A great post!  Thanks for answering my ping, because I really want to know what a real Educator thinks about all this.

You're so welcome.  We are lucky to have a number of teachers, with real-life experience, here.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 06:52:16 pm »
It beats the hell out of throwing more money at globalism.

Throwing money at anything is still throwing it, and wasting it too.  I choose "neither."  The Department of Education (Carter's Folly) has proven that spending any money on a Federal level is guaranteed wastage.  The States should handle it, they know their students and parents better than some DeeCee bureaucrat.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 06:54:59 pm »
The States should handle it, they know their students and parents better than some DeeCee bureaucrat.

I'm fine with the states handling it as long as certain standards are met, like the average child being able to read and write within a reasonable amount of time.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 06:57:15 pm »
I'm fine with the states handling it as long as certain standards are met, like the average child being able to read and write within a reasonable amount of time.

Generally, "handling it" includes the setting of the measures of success. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 06:58:44 pm »

They were doing a reasonable job of that, before Carter's Folly decided it would get to dictate what those requirements are.  Yet another example of why the Feds don't need to stick their fingers in everything.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 06:59:03 pm »
Generally, "handling it" includes the setting of the measures of success.

It's not unreasonable to tell the states that if they want to handle education they at least have to make sure kids are learning to read and write.
-Socrates

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 07:01:15 pm »
It's not unreasonable to tell the states that if they want to handle education they at least have to make sure kids are learning to read and write.

If that was all Carter's Folly ever demanded we would've been fine.  They now require a lot more, like Gender Studies classes in Secondary Education and quotas for hiring Educators.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 07:03:46 pm »
If that was all Carter's Folly ever demanded we would've been fine.  They now require a lot more, like Gender Studies classes in Secondary Education and quotas for hiring Educators.

The only thing I might like to see mandated other than some very general academia standards is finance classes in high school so young people are taught to make more intelligent financial decisions.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 07:15:25 pm »

Under what authority does the federal government have to do that?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 07:17:01 pm »
Under what authority does the federal government have to do that?

Under the authority they have already assumed and that you have no means of taking away from them.
-Socrates

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 07:17:26 pm »
 ****sheep****
The only thing I might like to see mandated other than some very general academia standards is finance classes in high school so young people are taught to make more intelligent financial decisions.

You will find out government bureaucrats will never satisfy themselves with those excellent goals.  Many of us already know that, which is why we don't like Carter's Folly.  They get paid for adding bells and whistles to the machine, not for running it efficiently.  That describes almost every Federal Program in existence today.

Leave it to the States.  If they don't meet the requirements you describe, then their own voters will straighten them out.  It cannot be done from the outside.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 07:18:57 pm »
Under the authority they have already assumed and that you have no means of taking away from them.

I refuse to give up.  I'm not wired that way, most Briefers aren't either.  Giving up and knuckling under for Federal bureaucrats is an alien concept.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 07:19:18 pm »

You're right; I should have included "legitimate".

Offline Dexter

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 07:20:37 pm »
I refuse to give up.  I'm not wired that way, most Briefers aren't either.  Giving up and knuckling under for Federal bureaucrats is an alien concept.

Refusing to compromise for a better situation than currently exists does nothing to advance your goals. You're not going to completely shake off the feds.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 07:21:13 pm »
You're right; I should have included "legitimate".

That IS legitimate authority whether we like it or not. They'll kill us; there's nothing we can do.
-Socrates

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 07:24:30 pm »
Refusing to compromise for a better situation than currently exists does nothing to advance your goals. You're not going to completely shake off the feds.

Probably not, but I will be damned if I accept the current level of usurpation either.  The day I accept there's nothing I can do will be the day I pull up the drawbridge to my Castle. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »
That IS legitimate authority whether we like it or not. They'll kill us; there's nothing we can do.

Bullshit!  That is not legitimate.   

Offline Dexter

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 07:25:26 pm »
Bullshit!  That is not legitimate.

It's legitimate enough for me. I'm not going to die on that hill.
-Socrates