Author Topic: More millennials are moving back home - and it's making everyone depressed:  (Read 35127 times)

Offline musiclady

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DB

Let's stop wasting so much money on stupid shit so we can prioritize things that will actually put the United States ahead of the rest of the world.

Actually it was the freedom for individual people to decide what to do with their talent, money and efforts that made America what it is. The more you take from them so government can decide what is best for everyone the more we will decline. Instead trust the people to do what's best for the country individually.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Actually it was the freedom for individual people to decide what to do with their talent, money and efforts that made America what it is. The more you take from them so government can decide what is best for everyone the more we will decline. Instead trust the people to do what's best for the country individually.

You don't think a public option for college education would help put us ahead of the rest of the world? Why not just get rid of public education entirely if it does nothing useful? Why do you think that was done in the first place?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

No. 

We need to change from freedom for individuals and become just like Sweden, where everyone is happy and healthy and they make the world a better place because of all their stellar accomplishments.   :tongue2:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline goodwithagun

The government isn't going to stop taking your money. We can at least fight for that money to not be spent on stupid things.

Of coarse they’re not going to stop. They’ve had the taste of blood. As for stupid things, there’s nothing more ignorant than thinking success and happiness can be legislated. Success and happiness is not the end result of written laws, but the end result of hard work.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

If any of you that are well off were true nationalists you would be happy to give some of what you have earned in your life to see young Americans get educated and get a head start. Anti-globalism isn't going to work out well for us if all of our people are uneducated and poor.

You know what, I give every year in the form of property taxes to pay for education.  And every year the teachers get dumber and every year the students get dumberer.  Educating oneself is a choice and us throwing more and more and more money at it isn't going to force anyone smarter.

Offline Dexter

You know what, I give every year in the form of property taxes to pay for education.  And every year the teachers get dumber and every year the students get dumberer.  Educating oneself is a choice and us throwing more and more and more money at it isn't going to force anyone smarter.

Schools don't have enough money or space to hire more teachers and reduce the size of classrooms so children can get more one on one education time. Giant classrooms reduce the quality of education, and teachers are being forced to teach more and more students. Do you think that might have something to do with it? I personally know teachers that have to spend some of the small amount of money they make on buying supplies for the children they teach because the school won't provide them. That's ridiculous. In America? Absolutely unacceptable.

I also think teachers should make a lot more money. If you want exceptional minds to do an important job you need to pay good money. How many truly gifted people are going to put up with that shit?
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

Schools don't have enough money or space to hire more teachers and reduce the size of classrooms so children can get more one on one education time. Giant classrooms reduce the quality of education, and teachers are being forced to teach more and more students. Do you think that might have something to do with it? I personally know teachers that have to spend some of the small amount of money they make on buying supplies for the children they teach because the school won't provide them. That's ridiculous. In America? Absolutely unacceptable.

I also think teachers should make a lot more money. If you want exceptional minds to do an important job you need to pay good money. How many truly gifted people are going to put up with that shit?

I’m a teacher. I disagree with everything in this post. I’m also going to bed. Good night, all!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

My college chemistry lecture class was 200 students.  Did we not learn chemistry because there were too many kids in the class, or should it be up to the individual, or in the lower grades the individuals' parents, to give a shit about them learning?  Should they not be expected to contribute some minimal amount for their own kids education?

Online DB

You don't think a public option for college education would help put us ahead of the rest of the world? Why not just get rid of public education entirely if it does nothing useful? Why do you think that was done in the first place?

No, I don't.

You value and work at what you've worked hard to get. It is easy to use free resources with no payback since it costs nothing to give it a go. And who cares if they fail trying a class that cost them nothing - other than the taxpayers paying for it all. People put effort into something when it is their money on the line. In addition those people who shouldn't be in the class take away time and resources from those who should. In short, our colleges will just become what public schools have become, mediocre daycare government jobs programs. Not in the best interest of the students but in the best interest of unions and government officials.

And then what incentives are there for the colleges to be more cost efficient if the taxpayers are paying for it? Nothing is as expensive as "free" stuff. There's a reason why our colleges were the envy of the rest of the world for a long time.

Ever see what happens when you give people free housing via government assistance? They have no investment in the house so they don't take care of it. It means little to them because it cost them nothing.

Offline Dexter

Did we not learn chemistry

That's not the point. On average you would have learned chemistry quicker and more thoroughly if you had been in a smaller class.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

I’m a teacher. I disagree with everything in this post.

Could you elaborate please? Also I'm glad to see that not all teachers are communists.
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

That's not the point. On average you would have learned chemistry quicker and more thoroughly if you had been in a smaller class.

Ohhhh....that's right.  Y'all are in a hurry to start making money to save for houses and retirement.

Online DB

You don't know what your talking about regarding teacher pay, particularly for the hours worked over a year. Teachers benefits far exceed what anyone in the private sector gets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbiggs/2015/08/28/california-teacher-retirement-benefits-are-hardly-modest-but-calstrs-doesnt-want-you-to-know-that/#1120a6cd6d3d

Offline Dexter

You don't know what your talking about regarding teacher pay, particularly for the hours worked over a year. Teachers benefits far exceed what anyone in the private sector gets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbiggs/2015/08/28/california-teacher-retirement-benefits-are-hardly-modest-but-calstrs-doesnt-want-you-to-know-that/#1120a6cd6d3d

Teaching young people is in my opinion one of the most important jobs that there is. I think teachers should make more money. There are areas where a teacher that went to school for 6 years can start out earning as little as 30-35k/yr. Also unacceptable. They should be making as much as professors and the barrier to entry should be just as steep or steeper.
-Socrates

Online DB

Teaching young people is in my opinion one of the most important jobs that there is. I think teachers should make more money. There are areas where a teacher that went to school for 6 years can start out earning as little as 30-35k/yr. Also unacceptable. They should be making as much as professors and the barrier to entry should be just as steep or steeper.

Then start writing checks to the school and ask your neighbors and friends to do the same. Just don't demand someone else pay the bill for what you think is a great idea.

But if you really want to make a difference in children's education in public schools, get rid of tenure and hold teachers accountable for the results. Get rid of teachers unions that are more interested in what they can get as a jobs program than the students. Do something about disruptive students that are essentially untouchable these days that steal time from the other students in the class.

California spends over $11,495 per high school student per year. For 20 students per class that's $229,900 a year...

New York spends over $22,366 per high school student per year. For 20 students per class that's $447,320 a year...

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/education-data/state-education-spending-per-pupil-data.html

Yet we don't spend enough you say for public education...

Offline Dexter

Yet we don't spend enough you say for public education...

I didn't say a lot of money isn't wasted. We can do better than this. Putting more pressure on teachers is not the answer.
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

I didn't say a lot of money isn't wasted. We can do better than this. Putting more pressure on teachers is not the answer.

Oh, but putting more pressure on everyone else in the form of higher taxes is?

Offline Applewood

Where I live, back in the 50s and 60s, we had as many as 60 kids in a class.  We were part of the Babby Boomer generation, so there were plenty of us kids to teach.  Maybe we didn't get "individualized attention" per se, but if a teacher was so motivated, we could always get help if we were struggling and we managed to learn.

My brother had a math teacher who was more than willing to work for as long as it took for my brother to understand a difficult concept.  I wasn't so lucky.  I had one math teacher whose idea of teaching was to tell us kids to open the math book and do the problems from page x to page y.  I learned to knuckle down and figure out things on my own.  I was also lucky to have parents who took an interest in my education.  My father was always available to help with homework 

I notice that in many homes nowadays, parents only care about their kids' education when the kids get into a fight or some other trouble at school. I've been told by teachers that there are parents who never show up for parent-teacher conferences.   In many of those homes the parents aren't even around.  A teacher, even a good one, can only do so much in the 6 hours or so a day they have the kids.  Their work is for naught if there is no motivation to learn from the parents at home.

The neighborhood I live in -- the same one I was born and raised in -- has gone downhill over the years.  Most of the people who have kids in school don't pay property taxes because either they rent or they live in some kind of subsidized housing.  I own my own home, but I don't have any children.  Yet, I'm payiing taxes to educate a bunch of other peoples' kids.  About 40% of these kids don't graduate and the ones that do -- they can recite every social justice talking point, but they can't read or write, solve a math problem, find our town on a map or know anything about American history.  The only "science" they know is the propaganda about this alleged "global warming."  So I doubt what I pay in property taxes goes toward actually educating the kids. 

Maybe things are different where you live.  I know about ten minutes from my house is a school district that is more affluent than mine and the kids are better educated.  That district has won an assortment of awards for excellence. It also has more intact families active in their kids' education and can afford to hire the best teachers.  Most of the rest of us aren't so lucky.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:31:34 am by Applewood »

Offline RoosGirl

@Dexter You bitch and complain that your generation has less opportunities than anyone else, and here you are advocating for more taxes.  And on another thread advocating that people, on a different continent even, suspend their way of life to save a rain forest that their ancestors basically made.  What do you think that is going to do to business opportunities when people have less of their money to spend on stuff because they have to pay more and more taxes to pay for your free feel-good stuff?

Offline Dexter

Oh, but putting more pressure on everyone else in the form of higher taxes is?

I bet if we stopped wasting so much money we could have public college and bring down your taxes.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

It's MY money.  It's not yours or any other misguided so-called do-gooder's money.  I will decide how hard I work and what I do with what I earn.  Not you. 

And, the whole argument about where we should or shouldn't spend more is irrelevant anyway.  We are spending much more than we have available as it is.  The whole argument is nonsense.

Offline Dexter

It's MY money.  It's not yours or any other misguided so-called do-gooder's money.  I will decide how hard I work and what I do with what I earn.  Not you. 

And, the whole argument about where we should or shouldn't spend more is irrelevant anyway.  We are spending much more than we have available as it is.  The whole argument is nonsense.

I addressed all of this already. I respect your opinion but I don't think you prioritize the needs of your nation highly enough.
-Socrates

Online DB

I bet if we stopped wasting so much money we could have public college and bring down your taxes.

That waste is entrenched in the very institution you demand we give more to. Layers of bureaucracy backed by unions. The student part is incidental. If you have any even slightly conservative friends that are teachers I suggest you go have a chat with them about how things work in public education. I believe it will be far different than you think.

Offline RoosGirl

Yes, we know, by not giving it all away to Israel.