Author Topic: In historic move, Sen. Rand Paul places hold on $38 billion to Israel  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Why should a successful nation like Israel get charity from the United States? We're 21 trillion dollars in debt. We should also stop giving money to half of Africa and other parts of the Middle East. Oh, and let's stop funding the U.N and wasting our money on having military stationed all over Europe. Let's get serious about American interests.

https://israelpalestinenews.org/in-historic-move-sen-rand-paul-places-hold-on-38-billion-to-israel/

EDIT:

Alternate link: https://londondailyreport.com/rand-paul-places-hold-38-billion-israel/

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who has a history of being skeptical about U.S. taxpayer funds going towards the Jewish state, has placed a hold on the U.S.-Israel Security Assistance Authorization Act of 2018, which provides Israel with $38 billion in military aid over the next decade.

[Editor’s note: This equals approximately $23,000 for every Jewish Israeli family of four.]

This has caused backlash from organizations such as the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.

“This bipartisan legislation authorizes full funding of security assistance to ensure Israel has the means to defend itself,” AIPAC posted on Facebook with a link to “urge Sen. Paul to stop blocking aid to Israel.”
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:31:38 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: In historic move, Sen. Rand Paul places hold on $38 billion to Israel
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 04:51:10 pm »
which provides Israel with $38 billion in military aid over the next decade.

I don't understand why this is still necessary since Israel is the 7th largest arms exporter in the world.   :shrug:

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5174345,00.html

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 04:54:43 pm »
Israel's Arms Exports Spike, Hitting Record $9 Billion
Haaretz, May 2, 2018

Israel's defense-related exports in 2017 totalled $9.2 billion, an all-time record and whopping 40 percent increase over 2016 - when defense-related transactions totaled $6.5 billion, said the Defense Ministry’s exports branch Wednesday.

Fifty-eight percent of these exports went to Asia and the Pacific, stemming primarily from the $2 billion defense contract Israel signed with India. Under the agreement, Israel Aerospace Industries will supply India with advanced Barak 8 air defense systems worth $1.6 billion including missiles, launchers, communications devices and command, control and radar systems. Next in line is Europe, which took 21 percent of Israel’s defense exports, followed by North America, Africa and Latin America.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israel-s-defense-export-sales-exceed-record-9-billion-1.6052046

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 05:12:20 pm »
If above link does not work, this one seems to have the same article:

https://londondailyreport.com/rand-paul-places-hold-38-billion-israel/

The date is current, I would like to see a more mainstream source for this though.

Senator Paul's twitter which is pretty active. I'm seeing if he discusses this.
https://twitter.com/RandPaul

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:30:31 pm »
Why should a successful nation like Israel get charity from the United States? We're 21 trillion dollars in debt. We should also stop giving money to half of Africa and other parts of the Middle East. Oh, and let's stop funding the U.N and wasting our money on having military stationed all over Europe. Let's get serious about American interests.

https://israelpalestinenews.org/in-historic-move-sen-rand-paul-places-hold-on-38-billion-to-israel/

EDIT:

Alternate link: https://londondailyreport.com/rand-paul-places-hold-38-billion-israel/

Maybe because they are the only democracy surrounded by a region of despots?

Oh and BTW...Israel gets less in foreign aid than Afghanistan...and only slightly more than Egypt and the groups of terrorists known as the Palestinian Authority who have vowed to wipe Israel off the map.

If we're gonna stop aid to anyone first and foremost it should be to the Palestinians.

Senator Paul placed the hold on the wrong money.  But that's just his daddy's anti Jew underpinnings shining through IMO.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Dexter

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 06:35:13 pm »
Maybe because they are the only democracy surrounded by a region of despots?

Oh and BTW...Israel gets less in foreign aid than Afghanistan...and only slightly more than Egypt and the groups of terrorists known as the Palestinian Authority who have vowed to wipe Israel off the map.

If we're gonna stop aid to anyone first and foremost it should be to the Palestinians.

Senator Paul placed the hold on the wrong money.  But that's just his daddy's anti Jew underpinnings shining through IMO.

Israel is by far the most well off country we give money too. They have the most advanced military in the region as well. That's not going to change without our charity. I want to cut off all aid to all countries and I'm not too picky about the order it happens in.
-Socrates

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:39:22 pm »
Israel is by far the most well off country we give money too.

There are other countries in that region as well as on the African Continent with similar GDP numbers that get money from us.

They have the most advanced military in the region as well.

And the majority of that has come from home grown industry.

That's not going to change without our charity. I want to cut off all aid to all countries and I'm not too picky about the order it happens in.

Why would you want their military superiority to change?  We don't give them charity.  There are very little in the way of natural resources in Israel for them to export to the world.

Why wouldn't we want to help our friends in an area where we don't have that many?  And do we really honestly want the likes of China or Russia filling that void?

Again I suggest you read up on some history.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 06:45:32 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 06:42:34 pm »
Why would you want their military superiority to change? 

It won't change regardless of our aid.

We don't give them charity.

What would you call it?

Why wouldn't we want to help our friends in an area where we don't have that many?  And do we really honestly want the likes of China or Russia filling that void?

If they won't be our friend without getting billions in aid from us then so be it. We're 21 trillion in debt. We need to stop giving to other countries, especially ones that don't need it.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 06:45:12 pm »
If we can't afford to help Americans we certainly can't afford to help foreigners. Why are the needs of other countries being prioritized over the needs of the United States? That's in direct conflict with nationalism as I see it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 06:46:14 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 06:50:34 pm »
It won't change regardless of our aid.

Ok so why even bring it up then?

What would you call it?

Foreign assistance.

Foreign assistance is aid given by the United States to other countries to support global peace, security, and development efforts, and provide humanitarian relief during times of crisis. It is a strategic, economic, and moral imperative for the United States and vital to U.S. national security.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foreign+aid&rlz=1C5CHFA_enDE504DE505&oq=foreign+aid&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i60l2j0l3.1463j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you truly understood world politics and modern foreign diplomacy you'd understand why it's important to help our allies.

And don't think we don't get anything in return from the Israelis either.

Calling it charity is a simplistic term that doesn't even scratch the surface of what foreign aid provides.

If they won't be our friend without getting billions in aid from us then so be it. We're 21 trillion in debt. We need to stop giving to other countries, especially ones that don't need it.

I'd hate to be your neighbor and need a ride or to borrow a cup of sugar.

And how exactly do you know that Israel doesn't need our help?  Is that what your BDS loving teachers told you in High School?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 06:52:39 pm »
If we can't afford to help Americans we certainly can't afford to help foreigners. Why are the needs of other countries being prioritized over the needs of the United States? That's in direct conflict with nationalism as I see it.

You make some really broad and really false assumptions and in a way contradict yourself from another thread.

Are we to be the most generous nation on the planet because of our wealth or hoard it within our borders and not help those that might benefit from our prosperity who happen to live outside the U.S.?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 06:58:12 pm »
Ok so why even bring it up then?

It's money we shouldn't be spending on a country that doesn't need it.

Foreign assistance.

We give away money to other countries. I don't care if we're calling it charity of "foreign assistance." You know what I mean. It needs to stop.

If you truly understood world politics and modern foreign diplomacy you'd understand why it's important to help our allies.

We need to help ourselves first.

I'd hate to be your neighbor and need a ride or to borrow a cup of sugar.

Would you expect your neighbor to help you out if they were 21 trillion dollars in debt? Would you get mad and stop being friendly with them if they declined to help?

And how exactly do you know that Israel doesn't need our help?  Is that what your BDS loving teachers told you in High School?

They're a wealthy nation with a powerful military. Oh, and by the way Israel has a national healthcare system. Healthcare over there is considered a fundamental human right.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:00:05 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 06:59:18 pm »
You make some really broad and really false assumptions and in a way contradict yourself from another thread.

Are we to be the most generous nation on the planet because of our wealth or hoard it within our borders and not help those that might benefit from our prosperity who happen to live outside the U.S.?

I'm a nationalist, so I'm for prioritizing the needs of America and Americans over the needs of other countries.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:00:54 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2018, 07:01:51 pm »
I am not a fan of foreign aid. Not at all. But I don't get why Israel is being singled out when there are so many openly anti-American countries still receiving aid.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 07:05:53 pm »
I am not a fan of foreign aid. Not at all. But I don't get why Israel is being singled out when there are so many openly anti-American countries still receiving aid.

Let's cut off aid to all of them.

Israel gets so much attention because they are by far the most well off country we give aid to. They don't need it. They have a national healthcare system and a strong economy.
-Socrates

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2018, 07:11:42 pm »
Let's cut off aid to all of them.

Israel gets so much attention because they are by far the most well off country we give aid to. They don't need it. They have a national healthcare system and a strong economy.
They are also America's greatest ally, by far. So, if somebody has to get it, I would rather Israel than Pakistan or Turkey. At least the technology/medicine they develop with it will be shared with us.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 07:13:16 pm »
They are also America's greatest ally, by far. So, if somebody has to get it, I would rather Israel than Pakistan or Turkey. At least the technology/medicine they develop with it will be shared with us.

America is 21 trillion dollars in debt. As our allies they should understand that we're not in a place where we can afford to give. If they won't be our allies anymore because of that then they were never actually our allies in the first place. That 38 billion is needed in the states.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:13:47 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 07:20:37 pm »
They are also America's greatest ally, by far.

When I think of America's greatest allies I think of those standing shoulder to shoulder with us on the battlefield.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 07:23:41 pm »
When I think of America's greatest allies I think of those standing shoulder to shoulder with us on the battlefield.
Israel would love to stand shoulder to shoulder with American troops. They would like nothing more. But, global politics doesn't allow it. Otherwise, they would be right there in a second.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 07:25:29 pm »
Israel would love to stand shoulder to shoulder with American troops. They would like nothing more. But, global politics doesn't allow it. Otherwise, they would be right there in a second.

Yeah, okay.  :laugh:

Offline Dexter

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 07:28:55 pm »

They weren't even participants in Operation Enduring Freedom. The benefits of this relationship seem pretty one-sided. We should cease international charity until after we've fixed our own financial issues.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:30:42 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 07:29:15 pm »

How convenient for them.
-Socrates

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 07:35:45 pm »
How convenient for them.
That is a ridiculous statement. Israel has one of the best trained and battle hardened troops in the world.
Most of the overt conflicts America is engaged in are Islamic countries. These countries do not allow Israelis to enter, even to 'help' them.
Israel SF may or may not be involved with American troops in other parts of the world, Africa/South America. But these OPs would not be public.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 08:07:01 pm »
They weren't even participants in Operation Enduring Freedom. The benefits of this relationship seem pretty one-sided. We should cease international charity until after we've fixed our own financial issues.

If Israel had fought beside us, we would have lost all the other ME allies, the pretense of it being "the World against terrorism" would evaporate, and the total war between the US and Islam would be on.  Even the Europeans would have deserted us.  Israel and Bush decided it would be best with them on the sidelines.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 08:28:42 pm »
If Israel had fought beside us, we would have lost all the other ME allies, the pretense of it being "the World against terrorism" would evaporate, and the total war between the US and Islam would be on.  Even the Europeans would have deserted us.  Israel and Bush decided it would be best with them on the sidelines.
Israel has supported America and allies in every conflict they have been engaged, just not openly. They give their support both in covert ops and intelligence. It is ridiculous to say that America does not benefit from its relationship with Israel. Technology and intelligence being the primary contribution.