Author Topic: Paul Ryan shoots down Trump's birthright citizenship plans  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Paul Ryan shoots down Trump's birthright citizenship plans
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 11:59:07 pm »
What in your view is the meaning of the limitation?   In construing a Constitutional provision, one should try to give all of its language meaning.   (For years, the 2A's predicate clause vexed Constitutional scholars.)    If anyone born here is a citizen, there would be no need for the limitation "born . . . subject to the jurisdiction of the United States".    So what in your mind is an example of an individual born here who wouldn't be a citizen by reason of the limitation?   

@Jazzhead I don't know.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2018, 12:00:53 am »
I can't figure out why Ryan felt it necessary to make this comment.

@Emjay Because he believes it to be true?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2018, 12:05:31 am »
Nothing except the fact that the 2A's individual right has been explicitly confirmed by the SCOTUS.    I agree with you that the 2A's individual right is on shaky ground - a different SCOTUS majority,  unbound by stare decisis, could easily take the right away by pointing to the predicate clause.

Cruz also questions Trump's authority.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/10/30/ted-cruz-said-supports-ending-birthright-citizenship-open-question
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2018, 12:07:46 am »
@Jazzhead Isn't anyone born in the US subject to the jurisdiction of the United States?

No. 

Oceander

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2018, 12:08:51 am »
What in your view is the meaning of the limitation?   In construing a Constitutional provision, one should try to give all of its language meaning.   (For years, the 2A's predicate clause vexed Constitutional scholars.)    If anyone born here is a citizen, there would be no need for the limitation "born . . . subject to the jurisdiction of the United States".    So what in your mind is an example of an individual born here who wouldn't be a citizen by reason of the limitation?   

A child born to a foreign ambassador.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2018, 12:16:13 am »

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/10/30/ted-cruz-said-supports-ending-birthright-citizenship-open-question

Well, sorta:

UVALDE — Sen. Ted Cruz, who is in a heated race for re-election against Democrat Beto O'Rourke, said he supports ending birthright citizenship for children born in the country to unauthorized immigrants but it is an "open question" how the government should do that.

"I have long supported ending birthright citizenship," Cruz said following a campaign rally in Uvalde.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2018, 12:18:19 am »

It doesn't seem to me that Cruz is questioning Trump's Authority. It only appears that he is reserving comment until he has time to review the wording of the EO.

"I would need to examine the legal arguments behind an executive order, and I haven't seen those yet," Cruz said.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2018, 12:19:37 am »
Howard ... also served on the Joint Committee on Reconstruction, which drafted the Fourteenth Amendment.

During the debate over the first clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, he argued for including the phrase "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof:"

[The 14th amendment] will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the government of the United States, but will include every other class of person.[2]...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_M._Howard

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2018, 12:19:58 am »
Well, sorta:

Uvalde? Is that in Toronto?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 12:21:52 am »
Uvalde? Is that in Toronto?

You betcha.  Snow and ice everywhere.  And, they talk funny.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 12:53:29 am »
You betcha.  Snow and ice everywhere.  And, they talk funny.

No wonder Ted was there.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2018, 12:59:36 am »
Title:
"Paul Ryan shoots down Trump's birthright citizenship plans"

Paul Ryan is gonna be a has-been nobody on January 1, 2019.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2018, 01:04:04 am »
Good grief, people.  Forget the citizenship part.  You want illegals to stop crossing the border?

Then    STOP GIVING THEM FREE SHIT WHEN THEY GET HERE !!!!!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2018, 01:11:56 am »
And the boy in the Speaker's suit just can't leave that position as fast as I would like him to.

A worthless idiot.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 01:17:00 am »
Good grief, people.  Forget the citizenship part.  You want illegals to stop crossing the border?

Then    STOP GIVING THEM FREE SHIT WHEN THEY GET HERE !!!!!

Better yet, build a wall and posts signs that read "Anyone Crossing Into the U.S. Illegally WILL be Considered an Enemy of the U.S. and risk being fired upon.

Secondly, declare a moratorium on ANY immigration into the U.S., including asylum for a period of at least 5 years allowing the U.S. time to revamp our immigration laws and policies and to find a way to start deporting illegals already here.

Agreed; illegals should have NO rights in this country and be ENTITLED to nothing other than a free ride back across the border!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 01:18:43 am »
There's a big/huge difference between Obama's EOs (trying to destroy America) and Trump's EO re: immigration (trying to SAVE America).   That Ryan apparently is unable to discern the vast difference strikes me as rather hypocritical, if not completely asinine.   Bub bye, Paul.  Don't let that DC door hit ya......(you know the rest).

So it is the ends that matter and not the means...

That's what the left has been saying and doing for a long time.

That philosophy only leaves destruction in its wake. Those with the most power do whatever they like because their ends are always justified by any means...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:22:35 am by DB »

Offline DB

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 01:21:44 am »
Who was it that campaigned for Ryan to lead the house back in late 2016?

That was some swamp draining...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 01:24:07 am »
Who was it that campaigned for Ryan to lead the house back in late 2016?

Probably the same guy who saved McConnell from getting primaried in 2014.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2018, 01:41:52 am »
   [The 14th amendment] will not, of course, include persons born in the United States who are foreigners, aliens, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the government of the United States, but will include every other class of person.[2]...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_M._Howard

If they have broken the law to be here they aren't really here.  Not legally.  How can they be subject to jurisdiction?  They are subject to the jurisdiction of their lawful country.

Instead of rushing them into a cushy hospital room to pop their baby out they should be sent to prison for delivery.  And we pay for those births too.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 01:43:07 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2018, 01:51:19 am »
Better yet, build a wall and posts signs that read "Anyone Crossing Into the U.S. Illegally WILL be Considered an Enemy of the U.S. and risk being fired upon.

You would have to forcibly deal with the left before that kind of hard line approach would ever happen. I happen to agree with you. A few hard examples would fix things real quick.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2018, 03:41:56 am »
They were making the right decisions on this birthright citizenship and then, the issue entered uncharted territory with some decisions that are complex to describe.

But I will say, Ryan has his view, I'm sure, Trump cleared this with his own advisors as well. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2018, 03:56:46 am »
I'm sure, Trump cleared this with his own advisors as well.

Sure he did....like when he promised a middle class tax cut before November, even though Congress wasn’t in session.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2018, 04:19:50 am »
Paul Ryan is running away and quitting Congress soon - who cares what he says?
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2018, 03:58:33 pm »
I guess we should be thankful that this WORTHLESS DUD is leaving congress.
Good for Ryan.  Who wants to be House minority leader during Armageddon?  Thanx for the tax cut Paul.