Author Topic: Exclusive — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy: ‘No Longer Just Republicans Versus Democrats; It’s  (Read 12742 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I guess I'll put aside the disagreement on what is or isn't possible and just say this...

If we can't do these things, if they are in fact impossible, I really don't see how we win the long game against China. China and their way of life will sweep the globe in the time after we're gone. If America and its culture are to continue leading the world young people really need your help. That's the only way. Otherwise our influence will fade and we will no longer lead the world. To me if these things are possible and we don't do them, and that leads to a loss of American influence, that means we failed our country. As nationalists we must do whatever it takes to ensure continued American dominance on the world stage.

Nationalism is a belief of the idiots by the idiots. You’re a child, put your diapers on.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Nationalism is a belief of the idiots by the idiots. You’re a child, put your diapers on.

na·tion·al·ism
[ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm]
NOUN

identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I don't deny God but I also don't assume people couldn't have misunderstood God's message at all when they wrote the Bible.
That sure has a whole lot of negatives crammed into a single sentence.

Perhaps one might consider a bit more positive aspects of the position, such as God knows what He is doing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Dexter

God knows what He is doing.

People don't though, and people wrote the Bible. To me nothing makes sense if people are bad and unworthy by nature. God is nature, and God is neither bad or unworthy.
-Socrates

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
People don't though, and people wrote the Bible.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" - 2 Timothy 3:16

Either scripture has the Authority of God, or it does not.

If not, then God is whatever your personal interpretation of Him is, along with whatever morals you want to have or not have.

You become a god unto yourself.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Dexter

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" - 2 Timothy 3:16

Either scripture has the Authority of God, or it does not.

If not, then God is whatever your personal interpretation of Him is, along with whatever morals you want to have or not have.

You become a god unto yourself.

A human being put ink to paper to write the very first Bible, and correct me if I'm wrong but that happened quite a while after Jesus died. So much has happened and people can be so corrupt and confused sometimes. Yeah, I do wonder if nothing has been misinterpreted or perverted since the time of Jesus of Nazareth. I wonder that especially because it makes no sense to me that a perfect God would create something in his image that is bad by nature.
-Socrates

Offline aligncare

na·tion·al·ism
[ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm]
NOUN

identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations.

One wonders how people get locked into mistaken ideas and when going to the dictionary doesn’t help clarify.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:59:01 pm by aligncare »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
A human being put ink to paper to write the very first Bible, and correct me if I'm wrong but that happened quite a while after Jesus died.

Only the New Testament letters were written to the churches to EXPOUND on scripture (Old Testament) to prove Jesus was the Promise of God come in the Flesh to end the separation of man and God, and to point humankind back to reconciliation with God.

The Old testament, that Jesus referenced AS scripture existed as the written Word for 1200 to 640 years before He came.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
na·tion·al·ism
[ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm]
NOUN

You being born in America does not make you special or more worthy of praise.

Offline Dexter

You being born in America does not make you special or more worthy of praise.

No, but I have pride in myself so I by extension have pride in the country I was born in. I want greatness for this country because these are my people, these are my friends. I want the world to stare in awe and envy as we pave the way to the future.
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

A human being put ink to paper to write the very first Bible, and correct me if I'm wrong but that happened quite a while after Jesus died. So much has happened and people can be so corrupt and confused sometimes. Yeah, I do wonder if nothing has been misinterpreted or perverted since the time of Jesus of Nazareth. I wonder that especially because it makes no sense to me that a perfect God would create something in his image that is bad by nature.

The Gospels were written in the first century AD (as early as 70 AD, IIRC) and many people who knew Christ were still alive when they were written. Events, places and times included that could easily be dismissed if they were not accurate.......but they weren't.  In addition, actual copies from the first century have been authenticated.

They are the most reliable ancient texts in existence, and the Epistles were also written within the lifetime of those who knew Jesus. (Remember that he was only 33 years old when he was crucified, and the disciple Peter lived a long time afterward).

The evidence supports the accuracy of the New Testament.  No need to "wonder."  happy77
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't deny God but I also don't assume people couldn't have misunderstood God's message at all when they wrote the Bible.

Because this generation is so much smarter and better informed than those old, dead guys?

Offline Dexter

Because this generation is so much smarter and better informed than those old, dead guys?

No, because time and people have a way of distorting reality. Meaning and nuance get lost; things are misinterpreted. It was originally written in Hebrew, right? I thought the word of God was supposed to be unintelligible to man. There are so many things that make it hard to believe a human could paraphrase God's wishes. I think it could be that Jesus was here trying to preach love and unity on behalf of God, but it's hard for me to swallow that I am to follow and believe everything that was written in a rather large and ancient book. Sorry if my views offend you.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:26:47 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

That's a stupid thing to say.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

No, because time and people have a way of distorting reality. Meaning and nuance get lost; things are misinterpreted. It was originally written in Hebrew, right?

Some in Hebrew, some in Aramaic, some in Greek. 

I'm challenging you because I remember thinking exactly that same line of thought. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Thinkin' about whether to jump into this conversation . . .  :smokin:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline aligncare

I’ve got popcorn.

Offline musiclady

No, because time and people have a way of distorting reality. Meaning and nuance get lost; things are misinterpreted. It was originally written in Hebrew, right? I thought the word of God was supposed to be unintelligible to man. There are so many things that make it hard to believe a human could paraphrase God's wishes. I think it could be that Jesus was here trying to preach love and unity on behalf of God, but it's hard for me to swallow that I am to follow and believe everything that was written in a rather large and ancient book. Sorry if my views offend you.

There have been many original manuscripts found and studied.

We know what was said, and it is historically accurate.

It hasn't been "paraphrased." It was written by contemporaries of Christ, and multiple eyewitnesses to what he said.

Your views aren't offensive, @Dexter .  Just ill-informed and based on your personal feelings, and not facts.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Not me.

Have debated/argued this at least a dozen times in 20 years.  Read a GD history book.   :smokin:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Dexter

Did Jesus specifically say that people are bad/unworthy?
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

This may help - "sin" in Aramaic translates to something like unfinished, immature.  And, was used in terms of an agricultural/pastoral society.  So, like eating a green pear or unripe wheat. 

I do think the idea of sin has gotten a little bit misused and while it encompasses everything from doing something stupid to blatant evil, it is simply not following God's plan. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I thought about it briefly, @Jazzhead but, NOPE.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." - John 8:44

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him?" - Matthew 7:11

Offline musiclady

"You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." - John 8:44

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him?" - Matthew 7:11

Thanks for posting those specific verses, @INVAR.

Of course Jesus said that people were evil.  He is God, Righteous and Just, and we are fallen.  If we were not evil, He would not have had to die on the Cross for us to cover our sins with His blood.  Why would he suffer and die for no reason?  If mankind were good, there would have been no need for His death.

@Dexter

Offline Dexter

Why would he suffer and die for no reason?  If mankind were good, there would have been no need for His death.

If mankind is bad why would he have done that, or come in the first place? God is pure and good; why would he bother with a bad humanity? Surely there must have been something worth saving. Not all humans performed the evil that saw him killed. I don't know; again, that's the only way it all makes sense to me. I can't operate within a world where I believe people are naturally bad without being depressed all the time. It doesn't feel natural to me.
-Socrates