Author Topic: Trump Urges GOP To Consider A 25-Cent Hike In The Gas Tax  (Read 3798 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump Urges GOP To Consider A 25-Cent Hike In The Gas Tax
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:23:29 pm »

President Trump tried Wednesday to persuade his fellow Republicans to raise the gas tax. In a closed-door meeting on infrastructure with members of both parties, Trump pitched the idea of a 25-cent increase in the gas tax, which hasn’t been raised since 1993. There’s a growing rift among Republicans about whether it’s worth considering a tax hike to fund much-needed upgrades to America’s roads and bridges.

“To my surprise, President Trump, today in our meeting, offered his support for raising the gas and diesel tax by 25 cents a gallon and dedicating that money to improve our roads, highways and bridges,” said Sen. Thomas R. Carper (D-Del.),.....

http://ecomedia.news/2018/10/11/trump-urges-gop-to-consider-a-25-cent-hike-in-the-gas-tax/

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump Urges GOP To Consider A 25-Cent Hike In The Gas Tax
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:26:31 pm »
So I'm going to have to take the word of a smelly Rat in a closed door meeting about Trump saying this? I'll pass.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:37:34 pm »
And if he does in fact support this idea - watch the Trump fans explain to us simpletons how this is a good and Conservative thing for him to do, regardless of how wasted the monies collected for the existing gas tax is.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:39:58 pm »
And if he does in fact support this idea - watch the Trump fans explain to us simpletons how this is a good and Conservative thing for him to do, regardless of how wasted the monies collected for the existing gas tax is.

Right. I guess it doesn't matter that this is from a Communist website quoting a Communist that this happened.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »
Right. I guess it doesn't matter that this is from a Communist website quoting a Communist that this happened.

I sure hope you are right.  Nothing like killing the big Mo with a stunt like that.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 03:49:06 pm »
    Damn, Is it Infrastructure week, already?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:52:14 pm »
guilty until proven innocent?

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 04:01:51 pm »
I sure hope you are right.  Nothing like killing the big Mo with a stunt like that.

The effing title doesn't even add up with what Carpface is claiming Trump said. That is my first sign this is a bunch of bullshit to excite malcontents and slow thinkers.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:04:41 pm »
In a closed-door meeting on infrastructure with members of both parties...

Is it Infrastructure Week again?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:07:49 pm »
So I'm going to have to take the word of a smelly Rat in a closed door meeting about Trump saying this? I'll pass.

"Eco media news"

"On The Frontline of Earth Liberation"

purposely curated anti-Trump news,
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 04:26:03 pm »
Trump and Beto O'Rourke with the same gasoline tax plan?

Qh, boy...............

Hopefully, the article, just misspelled O'Rourke.

:thud:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:27:10 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 04:29:36 pm »
The effing title doesn't even add up with what Carpface is claiming Trump said. That is my first sign this is a bunch of bullshit to excite malcontents and slow thinkers.

You think Cavuto is a slow thinker?

! No longer available
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:52 pm »

Trump's negotiating style should be familiar to anyone paying attention by now. "Everything's on the table" at the outset. I'll wait to see what actually pans out.

Of course the rat media will try to spin it as advantageously as possible leading up to the election.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 04:33:42 pm »
You think Cavuto is a slow thinker?

! No longer available

That shit is from a year and a half ago.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 04:34:46 pm »
That shit is from a year and a half ago.

Yeah, but you making this issue out like it's nothing but liberal blather.   Trump has actually proposed it.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 04:38:15 pm »
A 25¢ Federal tax per gallon of gas is NOT new news:

Trump backs 25-cent-a-gallon gasoline tax hike: senator

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump endorsed hiking the federal gasoline tax by 25 cents a gallon in a meeting with lawmakers on Wednesday about funding his infrastructure spending proposal

Trump says he backs 25-cent gas tax hike to pay for infrastructure
Sen. Tom Carper (Del.), the top Democrat on the Environment and Public Works Committee, was in the meeting and confirmed in a statement that the president backed a 25-cent increase.

“President Trump came back to the idea of a 25 cent increase several times throughout the meeting,” Carper said in a statement.

Trump urges GOP to consider a 25-cent hike in the gas tax

President Trump tried Wednesday to persuade his fellow Republicans to raise the gas tax. In a closed-door meeting on infrastructure with members of both parties, Trump pitched the idea of a 25-cent increase in the gas tax, which hasn't been raised since 1993.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 04:47:58 pm »

Yeah, but you making this issue out like it's nothing but liberal blather.   Trump has actually proposed it.

Maybe thats so, but its not at all clear in this writing. The article itself is carefully worded and does not support the headline. Even the link supposedly supporting the narrative is based upon a 'source requesting anonymity'.

It may turn out to be true, its just that we've seen this same bullsh*t tactic used by the media so many times before.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 04:50:34 pm »

He also proposed an intergalactic military force. He proposes lots of shit. Most of it goes nowhere. This article is claiming his is actively pushing this. I don't see it. That's why this rumor is relegated to some Communist rag.

Offline endicom

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 04:58:10 pm »

This could be his way of making them face that they can raise taxes or reduce spending. They are certainly not getting that message on their own.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »
He proposes lots of shit. Most of it goes nowhere.

A perfect description of his presidency.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2018, 05:00:56 pm »
A 25¢ Federal tax per gallon of gas is NOT new news:

Won't matter to some people @INVAR anything like this will always be dismissed no matter what the source.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2018, 05:06:41 pm »

It is a good and Conservative thing to pay for needed things, rather than just increasing the deficit.     

It is good and Conservative thing to maintain roads and bridges for the benefit of the national economy.

It is a good and Conservative thing for needed infrastructure to be paid for by the folks who use and directly benefit from that infrastructure.

I support a reasonable increase in the gas tax, provided the funds are dedicated to the repair of infrastructure used by motor vehicles, and that contractors are not limited by artificial rules benefiting unions that unnecessarily inflate costs.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2018, 05:07:19 pm »
A perfect description of his presidency.

Yeah I know. You liked Obama and Bush better. Don't worry. After 2024 you might yet again see another Progressive war manger in the WH again. Keep the faith.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 05:15:32 pm »
It is a good and Conservative thing to pay for needed things, rather than just increasing the deficit.     

It is good and Conservative thing to maintain roads and bridges for the benefit of the national economy.

It is a good and Conservative thing for needed infrastructure to be paid for by the folks who use and directly benefit from that infrastructure.

I support a reasonable increase in the gas tax, provided the funds are dedicated to the repair of infrastructure used by motor vehicles, and that contractors are not limited by artificial rules benefiting unions that unnecessarily inflate costs.   

And there's nothing conservative about raising taxes on gasoline to allegedly pay for something the money will never get to.

Oh and by the way:

Federal taxes include excises taxes of 18.3 cents per gallon on gasoline and 24.3 cents per gallon on diesel fuel, and a Leaking Underground Storage Tank fee of 0.1 cents per gallon on both fuels. State taxes include rates of general application including, but not limited to, excise taxes, environmental taxes, special taxes, and inspection fees, but exclude state taxes based on gross or net receipts. State taxes do not include county and local taxes. This information is for general informational purposes only.

8.2.1. Federal excise tax rates on motor fuels and lubricating oil
8.2.3. State tax rates on motor fuel
8.4.6 State tax rates on motor fuel

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=10&t=10

How much more do you think is "enough" taxes on people?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:19 pm »

How much more do you think is "enough" taxes on people?

Whatever is needed to fund the legitimate costs of government.   Do you seriously contend that roads and bridges don't need to be maintained?    You want the goodies but don't want to pay the taxes.  That is neither responsible nor conservative.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide