Author Topic: FACT CHECK: Are Republicans Racking Up Record Deficits?  (Read 1789 times)

rangerrebew

FACT CHECK: Are Republicans Racking Up Record Deficits?
« on: October 05, 2018, 11:43:12 am »

3:55 PM 10/04/2018

Democratic Rep. Alan Lowenthal of California said that Republicans have racked up record-high deficits.

“.@GOP has racked up record deficits with reckless tax cuts for the top 1%,” he tweeted Sept. 22.

http://checkyourfact.com/2018/10/04/fact-check-republicans-record-deficits/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: FACT CHECK: Are Republicans Racking Up Record Deficits?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:59:19 pm »

3:55 PM 10/04/2018

Democratic Rep. Alan Lowenthal of California said that Republicans have racked up record-high deficits.

“.@GOP has racked up record deficits with reckless tax cuts for the top 1%,” he tweeted Sept. 22.

http://checkyourfact.com/2018/10/04/fact-check-republicans-record-deficits/

If cutting taxes on just 1% of our population leads to huge deficits, that means that they are paying way more than their fair share, and that we are spending way too much.  That sounds like a very dangerous position to be in.  Some might even call it reckless.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:01:58 pm »
Wow. And internet 'fact check' site that doesn't just repeat leftwing propaganda.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 06:25:43 am »
Fact is, we are spending money like a drunken sailor every day we operate with a deficit.  It is long overdue that we have a Constitutional Amendment that prohibits Congress from deficit spending with one exception, during a declared war by Congress.  Otherwise, balanced budgets.

They could do it if they had a mindset to do so, but neither side of the aisle has that intent, so it must be forced upon them.  Money can be saved all over the place. 

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 09:58:56 am »
Fact is, we are spending money like a drunken sailor every day we operate with a deficit.  It is long overdue that we have a Constitutional Amendment that prohibits Congress from deficit spending with one exception, during a declared war by Congress.  Otherwise, balanced budgets.

They could do it if they had a mindset to do so, but neither side of the aisle has that intent, so it must be forced upon them.  Money can be saved all over the place. 

This ^^^^^
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:45:16 pm »
And to be specific, here are just a few items to save money on:

The military is one of the largest line items in the budget.  We have our military stationed in over 140 countries.  Why?  I do not believe we need bases in 140+ countries to defend the USA and its interests.  End the HUGE cost of defending Korea, Japan and all of Europe at the present level.  NATO, an organization that was created to largely defend Europe has the USA paying over 70% of the tab.  Reduce that to 25% in the next five years. 

I believe 57% of America pay no taxes to the federal government.  This is such nonsense and unfair to the working man/woman.  We are a consumer nation, and it is long overdue to convert from income tax to a consumer tax.  My wife has a friend that cuts hair and is also a prostitute.  She makes as much money net as my wife working as a physician for the government, she pays $10 as a premium for her Obamacare, and no taxes.  We pay $400 per month and tens of thousands in income taxes.  This is wrong. 

Take a hard look at folks on welfare, and invariably they use the $600-800 Apple cell phone, wear some of the nicest clothes, and it is wrong in my mindset.  I buy cheap phones because I have to pay for my own as do most folks, but take all the cash based people out there not declaring their income it is wrong.  I know an architect that has NEVER filed a tax return, pays no taxes and makes a six figure income.  His whole life, over 40 years of never filing a tax return with the corrupt IRS.  Amazes the heck out of me.

America does NOT need millions of immigrants each year, we need to make it worthwhile for our own citizens to have families.  The average family in the USA is having 1.2 children per family.  This will NOT sustain this country, and the cost to bring in legal and particularly illegal people is not worth the cost to buffer our population.

End subsidizing most of the things we subsidize with federal taxpayer dollars.  The NFL gets subsidized by the taxpayer.  The taxpayers bear the brunt of building high cost stadiums with nothing in return for the use of their money.  Owners and players meanwhile make out like bandits.  Let them build their own stadiums, and end subsidies to all billion dollar enterprises.

Tax all the money being sent out of the country by people working here.  Many of them pay zero taxes, and send the higher dollars they make here back to family members in foreign countries.  Impose a flat 8-10% tax or fee on all monies being sent out of the USA.

End trade deals that benefit other nations over our own people.  The federal government has destroyed virtually all business on Puerto Rico.  The PR was a major producer of coffee and sugarcane, and the feds in past decades signed deals with other countries that basically destroyed the agribusiness in the PR.  Makes no sense to me.

End subsidizing cities and states that are sanctuary areas for illegal invading aliens.  And I mean ALL FEDERAL MONEY.

Cut staff in EVERY federal government branch, excluding the military.  No need to terminate folks, just freeze hiring until a 15 or 20% reduction in people on payroll is affected.

End government workers being off for every secondary holiday, i.e Columbus Day, Presidents Day, MK Luther Day, etc.  Most America gets six holidays while the Feds get 10 or 12 holidays.  Pure nonsense.

Eliminate whole departments starting with the IRS.  Figure out how to collect revenue with no tax returns, again I suggest a consumption tax.  Dept of Interior, reduce their role in America.  There are over 450 Departments and Agencies.  Start by reducing that number by 50%.  The idea we need that many different entities is absurd. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 09:46:05 pm by jafo2010 »

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:02:15 pm »
 goopo  @jafo2010
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 10:23:22 pm »
And to be specific, here are just a few items to save money on:

The military is one of the largest line items in the budget.  We have our military stationed in over 140 countries.  Why?  I do not believe we need bases in 140+ countries to defend the USA and its interests.  End the HUGE cost of defending Korea, Japan and all of Europe at the present level.  NATO, an organization that was created to largely defend Europe has the USA paying over 70% of the tab.  Reduce that to 25% in the next five years. 

I believe 57% of America pay no taxes to the federal government.  This is such nonsense and unfair to the working man/woman.  We are a consumer nation, and it is long overdue to convert from income tax to a consumer tax.  My wife has a friend that cuts hair and is also a prostitute.  She makes as much money net as my wife working as a physician for the government, she pays $10 as a premium for her Obamacare, and no taxes.  We pay $400 per month and tens of thousands in income taxes.  This is wrong. 

Take a hard look at folks on welfare, and invariably they use the $600-800 Apple cell phone, wear some of the nicest clothes, and it is wrong in my mindset.  I buy cheap phones because I have to pay for my own as do most folks, but take all the cash based people out there not declaring their income it is wrong.  I know an architect that has NEVER filed a tax return, pays no taxes and makes a six figure income.  His whole life, over 40 years of never filing a tax return with the corrupt IRS.  Amazes the heck out of me.

America does NOT need millions of immigrants each year, we need to make it worthwhile for our own citizens to have families.  The average family in the USA is having 1.2 children per family.  This will NOT sustain this country, and the cost to bring in legal and particularly illegal people is not worth the cost to buffer our population.

End subsidizing most of the things we subsidize with federal taxpayer dollars.  The NFL gets subsidized by the taxpayer.  The taxpayers bear the brunt of building high cost stadiums with nothing in return for the use of their money.  Owners and players meanwhile make out like bandits.  Let them build their own stadiums, and end subsidies to all billion dollar enterprises.

Tax all the money being sent out of the country by people working here.  Many of them pay zero taxes, and send the higher dollars they make here back to family members in foreign countries.  Impose a flat 8-10% tax or fee on all monies being sent out of the USA.

End trade deals that benefit other nations over our own people.  The federal government has destroyed virtually all business on Puerto Rico.  The PR was a major producer of coffee and sugarcane, and the feds in past decades signed deals with other countries that basically destroyed the agribusiness in the PR.  Makes no sense to me.

End subsidizing cities and states that are sanctuary areas for illegal invading aliens.  And I mean ALL FEDERAL MONEY.

Cut staff in EVERY federal government branch, excluding the military.  No need to terminate folks, just freeze hiring until a 15 or 20% reduction in people on payroll is affected.

End government workers being off for every secondary holiday, i.e Columbus Day, Presidents Day, MK Luther Day, etc.  Most America gets six holidays while the Feds get 10 or 12 holidays.  Pure nonsense.

Eliminate whole departments starting with the IRS.  Figure out how to collect revenue with no tax returns, again I suggest a consumption tax.  Dept of Interior, reduce their role in America.  There are over 450 Departments and Agencies.  Start by reducing that number by 50%.  The idea we need that many different entities is absurd.

Home run on this one.  I don't think this post could be stated enough.  And another thing which is a huge waste of money is subsidizing Planned Parenthood.  And as I was listening to Susan Collins speech where she spoke of Roe V Wade I pondered a couple questions. 

Whether or not legal precedent closes the door on Roe V Wade, does it close the door also to public funding?

How would a Constitution that guarantees the free exercise of religion force Americans to pay for abortion?  Seems unconstitutional to me.

It may be unrealistic to think that Roe V Wade would be overturned.  And as Susan Collins made clear Kavanaugh would not be a vote to overturn.  Yet unconstitutionally all Americans are being forced to pay for unlimited abortion through Planned Parenthood.  The sale of human body parts against our moral and religious objections.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:28:51 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 10:29:18 pm »
The current deficit is being driven by several factors. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, passed by the GOP Congress, will add $164 billion to the deficit in 2018, according to the CBO. The impact across an 11-year window will be an estimated $1.9 trillion, a figure that includes the effects of economic growth.

That loss in federal tax revenue is a problem because Congress has not reduced spending to counterbalance it. The CBO reports higher government spending in the first 11 months of FY 2018, largely driven by a $33 billion increase in defense, $55 billion increase in interest on the national debt and $74 billion increase in entitlements (Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid).

White House chief economic adviser Larry Kudlow recently sug

I know revenue is at an all-time high and is not increasing the deficit, despite the claims of this article.

Most of the increase has apparently been from interest cost and legacy programs like Social Security, and less from new spending such as on defense. I'd like to see a better breakdown.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:34:58 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 10:32:12 pm »
If cutting taxes on just 1% of our population leads to huge deficits,

Spending more than 19% of GDP leads to huge deficits.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 10:37:55 pm »
Fact Check Fact.  Cutting taxes is not the problem.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 12:21:44 am »
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

US spending up 139%  Biggest budget item..............Medicare/Medicaid.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 12:45:21 am »
Chosen Daughter wrote:
Home run on this one.  I don't think this post could be stated enough.  And another thing which is a huge waste of money is subsidizing Planned Parenthood.  And as I was listening to Susan Collins speech where she spoke of Roe V Wade I pondered a couple questions. 

Whether or not legal precedent closes the door on Roe V Wade, does it close the door also to public funding?

How would a Constitution that guarantees the free exercise of religion force Americans to pay for abortion?  Seems unconstitutional to me.

It may be unrealistic to think that Roe V Wade would be overturned.  And as Susan Collins made clear Kavanaugh would not be a vote to overturn.  Yet unconstitutionally all Americans are being forced to pay for unlimited abortion through Planned Parenthood.  The sale of human body parts against our moral and religious objections.

It's a shell game, US Federal dollars in theory do not go to abortion but they go to planned parenthood and that is enough and some people say, it all kind of goes into a pool. They rent buildings, their "other services" and "abortions" are probably performed often in the same building, I can go on on this point but that's enough.

I think Daily Dot is leftist but nonetheless, they give the "official" version of this:

Planned Parenthood currently gets about half of its funding from government sources, but the process doesn’t involve handing over blank checks with “use this for free abortions” written on the memo line. In reality, Planned Parenthood receives federal funds in two ways that are neither scandalous or glamorous: Title X grants and Medicaid reimbursements. None of this money goes toward abortion care, but more on that later.

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/planned-parenthood-federal-funding/

Medicaid is mentioned above, in reimbursements... but people do get abortions via medicaid.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/state-funding-abortion-under-medicaid

And that is taxpayer dollars.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:46:05 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 12:46:48 am »
I thought I saw a story very recently that there have been a number of government job cuts since Trump came in.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 12:53:38 am »
Chosen Daughter wrote:
It's a shell game, US Federal dollars in theory do not go to abortion but they go to planned parenthood and that is enough and some people say, it all kind of goes into a pool. They rent buildings, their "other services" and "abortions" are probably performed often in the same building, I can go on on this point but that's enough.

I think Daily Dot is leftist but nonetheless, they give the "official" version of this:

Medicaid is mentioned above, in reimbursements... but people do get abortions via medicaid.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/state-funding-abortion-under-medicaid

And that is taxpayer dollars.

I think someone should challenge it.  Its unconstitutional.  Medicare/Medicaid is the biggest budget deficit item.

update.  I guess someone has.

US Christian who refuses to pay taxes until abortion is defunded has first big win in court

Excerpt:

......He also took aim at the common rejoinder that every American citizen has to pay taxes for things with which they might personally disagree, such as war. “You see, the Constitution grants certain abilities to the government, e.g. funding the military, but killing children is not a Constitutional backed, compelling interest of the government by any stretch of the imagination,” Bowman explained.

Planned Parenthood receives more than $500 million per year from the federal government, and performs more than 300,000 abortions. Federal law forbids taxpayer dollars from being directly spent on abortions, though pro-life groups argue that the money still enables abortion facilities to grow their reach and influence, and spend more revenue from other sources on abortions.

“All the government has to do is put a check box on the tax forms that says check here to support Planned Parenthood, and write in your donation amount," Bowman proposed. "Then, just like any church or charity, Planned Parenthood will be funded by those that have no problem with it, and the 150 million people like me that are pro-life, can pay their taxes and live knowing we kept our conscience clean.”.........

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/us-christian-who-refuses-to-pay-taxes-until-abortion-is-defunded-has-first
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:07:44 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 01:30:29 am »

US spending up 139%  Biggest budget item..............Medicare/Medicaid.

I was just at that site a couple hours ago.

I noticed people were starting to put up scary avatars for Halloween, and I thought I should be able to find a great one there.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 01:33:38 am »
I was just at that site a couple hours ago.

I noticed people were starting to put up scary avatars for Halloween, and I thought I should be able to find a great one there.

Its scary alright.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 02:05:22 am »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 02:10:55 am »
Federal law forbids taxpayer dollars from being directly spent on abortions

Every taxpayer dollar given to America's biggest abortion provider funds abortions in one way or another.  It keeps the electricity on.  It keeps abortion doctors on staff.  It employs all the support staff.  And it pays the rent close to the black neighborhoods where the clinics reside.  It also funds Democrat politicians who have a vested political interest in seeing the gravy train continue, and who use our courts to deny States their rights under the Constitution.

“All the government has to do is put a check box on the tax forms that says check here to support Planned Parenthood, and write in your donation amount," Bowman proposed. "Then, just like any church or charity, Planned Parenthood will be funded by those that have no problem with it, and the 150 million people like me that are pro-life, can pay their taxes and live knowing we kept our conscience clean.”.........

All government has to do is get the hell out of the abortion business.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 02:21:03 am »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 02:24:11 am »
Every taxpayer dollar given to America's biggest abortion provider funds abortions in one way or another.  It keeps the electricity on.  It keeps abortion doctors on staff.  It employs all the support staff.  And it pays the rent close to the black neighborhoods where the clinics reside.  It also funds Democrat politicians who have a vested political interest in seeing the gravy train continue, and who use our courts to deny States their rights under the Constitution.

All government has to do is get the hell out of the abortion business.

Amen.  I agree.  This guy was making a crucial point here though.  Same thing I was saying that the government is undermining our Constitutional guarantee to religious liberty.  Check box statement points out the obvious.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 02:29:51 am »
I like yours.  Its cute.

I have a thing for kittens.  I know...it's not very masculine.  But Mrs. Liberty loves them too.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 02:34:36 am »
I have a thing for kittens.  I know...it's not very masculine.  But Mrs. Liberty loves them too.

I am a kitty lover too.  Mine looks very dressed for the boo party.  Black with huge yellow eyes.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 03:26:53 am »
I thought I saw a story very recently that there have been a number of government job cuts since Trump came in.
Yes.  In the EPA.  Where is the money going?  Not to debt reduction.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 03:48:04 am »

Me too... They're tasty. :beer: