Author Topic: Facebook: We're not 'actively' seeking consumers' banking data.  (Read 662 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
 On Monday, the Wall Street Journal reported that Facebook (FB) has asked several major banks to provide information like account balances and credit card activity. According to the report, Facebook asked firms like JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Wells Fargo (CBEAX), Citigroup (C) and U.S. Bancorp (USB) to discuss possible offerings it could provide for users on its Messenger chat platform.

Facebook declined to comment on whether it has been in talks with those companies but clarified it does work with banks to offer various services on Messenger.

"A recent Wall Street Journal story implies incorrectly that we are actively asking financial services companies for financial transaction data -- this is not true," a Facebook spokesperson told CNNMoney. "Like many online companies with commerce businesses, we partner with banks and credit card companies to offer services like customer chat or account management."

For example, Facebook users can link their PayPal (PYPL) account to Facebook Messenger and track their account balances, receipts and shipping updates. American Express (AXP) customers can use Messenger to track purchases. Facebook said none of this financial data is shared with advertisers.

"The idea is that messaging with a bank can be better than waiting on hold over the phone -- and it's completely opt-in," the Facebook spokesperson added.

A spokeswoman for Citigroup said the company recognizes its customers are increasingly spending more time on social media and it wants to be where consumers are. However, she noted some privacy concerns.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/08/06/technology/facebook-banks-data/index.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Facebook: We're not 'actively' seeking consumers' banking data.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 01:41:59 am »
If I want to communicate with my Credit Union, I have a website and an app on my phone if I want to "chat."  I don't want zuckerburg's mitts on it, he has a bad rep.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:44:22 am »
I know I am dense at times but I don't understand what FB is trying to do.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:23 am »
For example, Facebook users can link their PayPal (PYPL) account to Facebook Messenger and track their account balances, receipts and shipping updates. American Express (AXP) customers can use Messenger to track purchases.

This is insanity. Only a crazy person would link Facebook into their banking, finances, and investments. If you think they are not watching and recording every single thing you do, then contact me please. I have a land deal I would love to discuss with you.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:25:17 am »
For example, Facebook users can link their PayPal (PYPL) account to Facebook Messenger and track their account balances, receipts and shipping updates. American Express (AXP) customers can use Messenger to track purchases.

This is insanity. Only a crazy person would link Facebook into their banking, finances, and investments. If you think they are not watching and recording every single thing you do, then contact me please. I have a land deal I would love to discuss with you.

That IS crazy.  Wow.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 02:27:21 am »
That IS crazy.  Wow.

You know the sheeple er snowflakes will willingly sign on to this.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:35:22 am »
You know the sheeple er snowflakes will willingly sign on to this.

Knowing the Zuck, Bookface will just sign them up for their own sake.  This bears watching.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 02:36:26 am »
That IS crazy.  Wow.

The crazier part of this whole thing is that Facebook started as a goofy little website which allowed people on a college campus to mess around with each other. Now, in just a few years, they control the world and want to control every part of everyone's entire life.

The craziest part is that some people welcome this and 100s of millions of people go right along with it. They think it's great.

The bright side is that most of the current young generation think of Facebook the same way we think of MySpace. The young think FB is something their parents use, not them. They use SnapChat, Spotify, Imgur, Reddit, others... That is why their stock is tanking.

In a few years, FB will be obsolete.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 02:50:36 am »
So what happens if you link all your private financial info into FaceBook and they see you donating to Trump, the NRA, Republican Candidates, even TBR. Would that get you banned? Maybe. We know that have no tolerance for anyone on the Right.

What if they see a prominent person paying a sex shop or a gay bath house. Can they use that somehow, or do the famous accidental 'leak' to the press to damage that person? This is an incredibly dangerous idea. Your financial transactions, whatever they may be, will follow you for the rest of your life no matter what you try to become.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:55:34 am »
I know I am dense at times but I don't understand what FB is trying to do.

Never been to fb, so I'm only speculating.  First, you get people used to accessing the things they already do through your interface, which they use regularly(/incessantly) anyway.  Then you roll out your own service.  Since you control the underlying platform, it's easy to subtly make your system work better, have the latest features, etc.

Again, just speculation.  It's not like this was the business model for one of the largest IT companies for decades.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.