Author Topic: Sarah Sanders defends Trump calling reporters 'enemy of the people'  (Read 3115 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Sarah Sanders defends Trump calling reporters 'enemy of the people'
by Steven Nelson
 | August 02, 2018 02:25 PM

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders defended President Trump's use of the term "enemy of the people" to describe journalists, after presidential adviser Ivanka Trump disagreed with her father's use of the term.

"Is the press the enemy of the people or not?" a reporter asked Thursday at the White House press briefing.

Sanders declined to offer a personal opinion, but defended Trump's use of the term, alleging media bias.

"The president is rightfully frustrated," she said. "Ninety percent of the coverage on him is negative, despite the fact that the economy is booming, ISIS is on the run, and the American leadership is being reasserted around the world."

Sanders continued:

"Just this week, the media refused to cover his remarks in Florida to highlight his efforts on the workforce development. In fact, the pooler for the press said no news was made despite the fact that the governor of the state joined with dozens of businesses across the state of Florida to announce thousands of new jobs. That may not be news in Washington, D.C., but I can assure you that it is news in the state of Florida that people who didn't have a job before the president took office have better opportunity and the opportunity to have a job moving forward.

"That is actually real news and something that people in the state of Florida and across the country appreciate. It was totally ignored. Not only that, but before a journalist on CNN claimed the president hadn't taken questions in over a week, despite the fact that same journalist did a live shot from the two-and-two press conference that the president had with the prime minister of Italy moments, just moments, after making that accusation. With this sort of misinformation and the lack of interest that's so pervasive in the media, it's completely understandable for the president to be frustrated."

Later, Sanders was pressed again on Trump's use of the phrase, famously uttered in the past by Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin. She defended criticism of the media by saying she has been mistreated by reporters. She responded:

"The president has made his position known. ... It's ironic, Jim, that not only you and the media attack the president for his rhetoric when they lower the level of the conversation in the country. Repeatedly, repeatedly, the media resorts to the personal attacks without any content other than to incite anger. The media has attacked me personally on a number of occasions, including your own network. Said I should be harassed as a life sentence, that I should be choked. ICE officials are not welcome in place of worship and personal information shared on the Internet.

"When I was hosted by the Correspondents' Association, of which almost all of you are members, you brought a comedian up to attack my appearance, and call me a traitor to my own gender. As far as I know, I'm the first press secretary in the history of the United States that required secret service protection. The media continues to ratchet up the verbal assault against the president and everyone in this administration and certainly we have a role to play. But the media has a role to play for the discourse in this country as well."

Sanders asked again for an answer on whether the press was the "enemy of the people." She said, "I've addressed my personal feelings. I'm here to speak on behalf of the president. He has made his comments clear."

Earlier on Thursday, Ivanka Trump said at an event in Washington that she disagreed with her father's use of the term. "No, I don't see [the media] as the enemy of the people," she said.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/sarah-sanders-defends-trump-calling-reporters-enemy-of-the-people
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Sarah Sanders defends Trump calling reporters 'enemy of the people'
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:50:27 pm »
I watched it live..Sarah was in her element and the press room was eerily quiet..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 07:00:43 pm »
I would love to see that video. The one attached to this article is of other comments of her's.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:09:47 pm »
I watched it live..Sarah was in her element and the press room was eerily quiet..

Women who are truly strong and confident don't have to run around telling everyone they're "strong, confident women", which is a stupid phrase the feminists can't stop repeating.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, on the other hand, is the real deal.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 07:15:00 pm »
Women who are truly strong and confident don't have to run around telling everyone they're "strong, confident women", which is a stupid phrase the feminists can't stop repeating.

You aren't kidding. There's shampoo in our shower with "beauty is power" in quotes on the bottle. Whats up with that.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 07:17:16 pm »
The media knows what they are and what they have done. They just wanted a sound-bite of the question.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 07:20:02 pm »
twitter

Jim Acosta
(@Acosta)
I walked out of the end of that briefing because I am totally saddened by what just happened. Sarah Sanders was repeatedly given a chance to say the press is not the enemy and she wouldn't do it. Shameful
Support the USO

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 07:21:50 pm »
The woman has stones.  Bless her!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 07:37:52 pm »
SCHWEEET!!   888high58888
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 07:39:07 pm »
Hilarious. Good for her calling them out for what they are.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 07:49:46 pm »
You aren't kidding. There's shampoo in our shower with "beauty is power" in quotes on the bottle. Whats up with that.

! No longer available

Power is power.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 08:16:38 pm »

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, on the other hand, is the real deal.

Indeed she is.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 08:17:39 pm »
twitter

Jim Acosta finally realizes that he is shameful.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 08:19:46 pm »

! No longer available

Power is power.

Lord Baelish will need some powerful detergent to clean those shorts of his.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 09:01:58 pm »

I watched it, too. Epic.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 09:06:31 pm »
I would suggest that if they don't like being called "an enemy of the people" they shouldn't go about proving they are every single hour of every day!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 09:16:22 pm »
I would suggest that if they don't like being called "an enemy of the people" they shouldn't go about proving they are every single hour of every day!

That is an interesting quote indeed, when considering the charge from the rabid fanbase that insisted that those whom did not vote for Trump, are also Enemies of the People.

A people given over to that kind of mindset politically, always end up being the authors of what we used to consider a very heinous type of tyranny.

But today - we applaud and are comfortable with the notion, as long as it is us doing the declaring.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 09:19:39 pm »
That is an interesting quote indeed, when considering the charge from the rabid fanbase that insisted that those whom did not vote for Trump, are also Enemies of the People.

A people given over to that kind of mindset politically, always end up being the authors of what we used to consider a very heinous type of tyranny.

But today - we applaud and are comfortable with the notion, as long as it is us doing the declaring.

Except for the fact that I didn't say anything like that, you might have a point.

The press has been proving themselves an enemy of the people for one hell of a lot longer than President Trump has been on the political scene.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:22:53 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 10:00:43 pm »

She looked both pained and patient while Acosta rattled on.  When she finally started her answer, he immediately interrupted.  She told him that she had listened to his question patiently and would appreciate the opportunity to respond.

He is such a jerk.  I can't believe he had the nerve to twit that crapola.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 10:08:37 pm »
Except for the fact that I didn't say anything like that, you might have a point.

The press has been proving themselves an enemy of the people for one hell of a lot longer than President Trump has been on the political scene.

Well, when you declare 'this' group or profession an 'enemy of the people' and then 'that' group or industry an 'enemy of the people', eventually there will be reciprocal action unless or until you actually eradicate the 'enemies of the people' and render their threat to the people neuter.  Usually it involves gulags, reeducation camps or extermination centers.  Which is what always happens to 'enemies of the people', 'legally' of course.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 11:22:27 pm »
Well, when you declare 'this' group or profession an 'enemy of the people' and then 'that' group or industry an 'enemy of the people', eventually there will be reciprocal action unless or until you actually eradicate the 'enemies of the people' and render their threat to the people neuter.  Usually it involves gulags, reeducation camps or extermination centers.  Which is what always happens to 'enemies of the people', 'legally' of course.

@INVAR

I agree with this. It's unsettling for any White House to call any industry or business "Enemy of the people." That term was used throughout history to justify imprisonment or genocides of those enemies.

The derision the press is getting from the public is deserved and earned, of course. But imagine a President Sanders or Warren calling oil companies or pharmaceutical companies "enemy of the people?"

I guess it all depends whose ox is getting gored
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy