Author Topic: How Trump Could Be Like Reagan  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

How Trump Could Be Like Reagan
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:49:01 pm »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/opinion/trump-reagan-trade-tariffs-china.html

By Stephen Moore, Arthur B. Laffer and Steve Forbes

President Trump won a victory for freer trade last week when he and the president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, agreed to find ways to lower tariffs and other barriers to each other’s exports. The outlines of the deal are still sketchy, but it calls for the Europeans to buy more American petroleum, soybeans and manufactured goods and for Mr. Trump to reduce his auto and steel tariffs.

We were particularly heartened that Mr. Trump and the Europeans now have a handshake agreement to aim for zero tariffs on both sides of the Atlantic.

This was Mr. Trump’s idea. The night before the agreement, he proposed in a tweet that “Both the U.S. and the E.U. drop all Tariffs, Barriers and Subsidies! That would finally be called Free Market and Fair Trade!” Amen.

This is a winning strategy that we’ve long endorsed with our friends at the White House because it is fully consistent with what Mr. Trump has often told us: his threat of tariffs is a negotiating tactic to get to lower trade barriers and a “level playing field.”

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: How Trump Could Be Like Reagan
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:51:07 pm »
I case you don't know who Art Laffer is....

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 02:55:36 pm »
Art Laffer has been around awhile, since the Reagan administration, that I am aware of.
A smart guy.
I hope he is one that this administration is listening to.
At one time, he was a Trump adviser, but I don't know if he still is.
He should be, if he is not.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:56:16 pm »
I case you don't know who Art Laffer is....

Two Continents restaurant still wants their napkin back.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:59:12 pm »
How Trump Could Be Like Reagan

He could stop being a congenital liar for starters.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:00:00 pm »
Two Continents restaurant still wants their napkin back.

LOL. It always bugged me too that these guys vandalized restaurant property and stole it and now it's in the National Archives.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »
Art Laffer has been around awhile, since the Reagan administration, that I am aware of.
A smart guy.
I hope he is one that this administration is listening to.
At one time, he was a Trump adviser, but I don't know if he still is.
He should be, if he is not.

Considering what Trump is doing is closer to Reaganomics than any other President since 1988, I would guess Donny is listening to Laffer, Moore, Kudlow and the rest of the Reaganites.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
Considering what Trump is doing is closer to Reaganomics than any other President since 1988, I would guess Donny is listening to Laffer, Moore, Kudlow and the rest of the Reaganites.
I would agree.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 03:18:42 pm »
I would agree.

Donald Trump......   RWR with out the honesty, integrity, and morality.   Got it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 03:21:56 pm »
Donald Trump......   RWR with out the honesty, integrity, and morality.   Got it.

I work off of tangible economic results. You can work off of what the Church Ladies have to say. My way puts money in my pockets. Your way makes you feel guilty drinking a beer at lunch.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 03:22:34 pm »
I'm not trying to say he is the 2nd coming of RWR.
Only that as far as the economic advisers go, he is listening to some of the same ones that Reagan did.
I don't see any harm in that.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 03:39:07 pm »
I work off of tangible economic results. You can work off of what the Church Ladies have to say. My way puts money in my pockets. Your way makes you feel guilty drinking a beer at lunch.

I didn't  say I want or need a Saint in there.  Just have him put this thumbs in casts and stop tweeting and making a fool of himself.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »
I didn't  say I want or need a Saint in there.  Just have him put this thumbs in casts and stop tweeting and making a fool of himself.

I vehemently disagree with you there!  Trump is driving the media NUTS because they don't get to filter what he says! Keep it up Mr. President!  MORE!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 03:47:03 pm »
I vehemently disagree with you there!  Trump is driving the media NUTS because they don't get to filter what he says! Keep it up Mr. President!  MORE!

I think we are pretty good friends here, but (IMO) these Twitter shit storms will eventually fly back into his face.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 03:50:32 pm »
I think we are pretty good friends here, but (IMO) these Twitter shit storms will eventually fly back into his face.

Maybe so!  there is no doubt that the media will do their damnedest to make it so but I still like that he can communicate with us directly without any filters.

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me so we can still be friends!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »

The people bent out of shape about that shit are the same people concerned about who Jay Z is dating and take pictures and post what they ate for breakfast. It all irrelevant noise.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 04:09:37 pm »
The people bent out of shape about that shit are the same people concerned about who Jay Z is dating and take pictures and post what they ate for breakfast. It all irrelevant noise.

If anybody on this planet can get people to get off their ass and vote...stand in lines...for the mid-terms, it's Donald J. Trump.

These rallies are all covered and seen by his base.   Which is 84% of the Republican Party.

To overcome this incessant 24/7 media/cable news attack on him, they're going to need record-breaking turnout.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 04:30:37 pm »
Trump was tweeting a long time before becoming president. Considering how effective his tweeting has been in knocking down media straw men and bypassing the dishonest media since getting elected, he should have made it a promise during his campaign to continue tweeting no matter what. It’s working beautifully against media propagandists. I didn’t know when we got Trump that his tweets would be a bonus.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:42:31 pm by aligncare »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 06:18:13 pm »
I lived through Reagan. Plus I have read and listened to what he said, and how he said it.

His detractors then were horrified about that. He joined Goldwater, Nixon and was called Hitler; a Nazi.

At the time,, many "Republicans" joined democrats and the liberal press, to criticize Reagan's (equivalent of) Tweets
For example, his speechwriters would delete a phrase, but Reagan put it back in.

"Mr Gorbachev,  Tear Down This Wall"

! No longer available

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 06:24:26 pm »
I lived through Reagan. Plus I have read and listened to what he said, and how he said it.

His detractors then were horrified about that. He joined Goldwater, Nixon and was called Hitler; a Nazi.

Let's not forget the weekly Anti Nuke and ERA rallies and then when that failed it was protests about how bad the farmers had it. It never ended.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 06:27:29 pm »
Let's not forget the weekly Anti Nuke and ERA rallies and then when that failed it was protests about how bad the farmers had it. It never ended.

And the pictures and segments on the homeless.  ...street people.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 06:29:50 pm »
And the pictures and segments on the homeless.  ...street people.

Wasn't that when "Comic Relief" was big, with Billy Crystal and Robin Williams?

Funny how they didn't put those on anymore after Clinton was elected...........

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 06:40:22 pm »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 06:44:26 pm »

Offline Frank Cannon