Author Topic: Control Yourself, Mr. President — If You Can  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Control Yourself, Mr. President — If You Can
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 01:50:42 am »

I don't want the president to "control himself", if that means being other than who he is.

I want him to keep BEING "himself", as much or more than he's doing now.

I want him to TURN UP the heat and the pressure on the left and the media.

And I don't care if that galls any of you NT's reading this.

@Fishrrman did you read the article?

Offline corbe

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 02:00:38 am »
   You certainly galled me, @Fishrrman

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 02:16:43 am »

I don't want the president to "control himself", if that means being other than who he is.

goopo 

Silver Pines

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 03:08:07 am »
@Fishrrman did you read the article?

@Sanguine

Why do you have these unreasonable expectations?  People want to emote.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 03:22:54 am »
@Sanguine

Yes, I'm an starry-eyed optimist.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 06:10:25 am »
Trump is trying to do what he promised and largely successfully. If the GOP loses the house this year it will be because the GOP elite and their wounded pride couldn't get over the 2016 election they were so wrong about.

No.  Wrong.

If they lose their hold on power, it will be precisely because they broke all their campaign promises and governed just like Democrats to the point that there is zero discernible difference between them.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 11:06:38 am »
No.  Wrong.

If they lose their hold on power, it will be precisely because they broke all their campaign promises and governed just like Democrats to the point that there is zero discernible difference between them.

IMO, the Orange Brigadiers are laying the ground work to blame everyone else if things don’t go well in November. When things go well, it’s because Trump is so fantastic. When things don’t go so well, it’s because Trump is being held back.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 12:12:47 pm »
Trump won by razor-thin margins in several key battleground states (e.g., Michigan by 0.23% of the vote; Wisconsin by 0.77%; Pennsylvania by 0.71%; Florida by 1.2%).  Those four states represent 75 electoral votes.  It wouldn’t take him losing too many independents to flip those.  I just don’t believe he can get re-elected with his current appeal-to-the-base-at-all-cost mentality.  They aren’t going anywhere and will support him no matter what he does IMO. 

I believe many independents took a chance on Trump and/or couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Hillary.  Although his base may love the childish nicknames, the petty squabbles, the vindictiveness, and the untruths, many independents don’t.  That’s obvious with the results of the poll referenced by Goldberg (58% of independents disapproving of the job he’s doing, with 46 percent “strongly” disapproving).  I don’t believe the economy alone is going to be enough to retain them as voters.  I believe Goldberg is right that it’s not too late to win them back, but I doubt Trump is capable of moderating his behavior in such a way to actually do it. 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 12:25:53 pm »
Trump won by razor-thin margins in several key battleground states (e.g., Michigan by 0.23% of the vote; Wisconsin by 0.77%; Pennsylvania by 0.71%; Florida by 1.2%).  Those four states represent 75 electoral votes.  It wouldn’t take him losing too many independents to flip those.  I just don’t believe he can get re-elected with his current appeal-to-the-base-at-all-cost mentality.  They aren’t going anywhere and will support him no matter what he does IMO. 

I believe many independents took a chance on Trump and/or couldn’t bring themselves to vote for Hillary.  Although his base may love the childish nicknames, the petty squabbles, the vindictiveness, and the untruths, many independents don’t.  That’s obvious with the results of the poll referenced by Goldberg (58% of independents disapproving of the job he’s doing, with 46 percent “strongly” disapproving).  I don’t believe the economy alone is going to be enough to retain them as voters.  I believe Goldberg is right that it’s not too late to win them back, but I doubt Trump is capable of moderating his behavior in such a way to actually do it.

LOL!

Do you guyz realize how many people who DIDN'T vote for Donald Trump in 2016...that will gladly cast their vote for him in 2020?

Furthermore...."Independents" aren't going anywhere.  In fact, that number will most likely rise (See previous sentence)   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Concerned

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 12:36:06 pm »
LOL!

Do you guyz realize how many people who DIDN'T vote for Donald Trump in 2016...that will gladly cast their vote for him in 2020?

Furthermore...."Independents" aren't going anywhere.  In fact, that number will most likely rise (See previous sentence)   :laugh:

No, how many? 

"The Resistance" seems strong.  Democratic turnout since Trump's election has been extremely high.  I believe the Dems will be highly motivated, both in the mid-terms and in 2020.  Regardless of how motivated the Dems are though, I believe Trump needs independents to win those key battleground states like Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Florida.  I just don't believe he can win with 58% of independents disapproving of the job he's doing and with 46% strongly disapproving.  I recognize that any polling data that is unfavorable to Trump is largely dismissed by many of his supporters but this poll was touted by Breitbart and some Trumpers.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,325621.0.html
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 12:46:44 pm »
IMO, the Orange Brigadiers are laying the ground work to blame everyone else if things don’t go well in November. When things go well, it’s because Trump is so fantastic. When things don’t go so well, it’s because Trump is being held back.

You nailed it.  "The Buck Stops Elsewhere!"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 01:00:55 pm »
@Sanguine

I'm A Cockeyed Optimist
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2018, 01:24:46 pm »
I'm A Cockeyed Optimist

I'm glad we got that straightened out, Ghost. :tongue2:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 01:34:00 pm »
I'm glad we got that straightened out, Ghost. :tongue2:
:whistle:
What can I say.  I like show tunes!   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »
Trump is trying to do what he promised and largely successfully. If the GOP loses the house this year it will be because the GOP elite and their wounded pride couldn't get over the 2016 election they were so wrong about.

Yeah, Trump's a cad. But love him or hate him, it should be obvious to everyone by now that the State has decided they won't let an outsider abide in the white house, no matter who it is, even if his free and fair election was constitutionally sound, and are using extraconstitutional measures to run him out.

What is really ominous to me is so many who claim to be lovers of the Constitution, right here in fact, do not have a problem with how its currently being butchered in service of the State's self serving ends. Because they find him personally distasteful.

Excellent take. Agree, there are much larger issues here than problems with this president’s demeanor.

The reaction elicited by Trump alone, his presence as an outsider, perceived to be interfering into the political status quo, is what should draw the public’s attention; a well-timed, phony, establishment-launched special counsel “investigation” should raise eyebrows not Donald Trump’s blunt language or public persona.

Donald Trump won a large victory in the electoral college and was elected by the people and ever since then it’s been nothing but threats and bellyaching from the left and from republican/conservative supporters of failed 2016 primary candidates.

I think if republicans do well in November, republican NeverTrumpers will be forced to concede some ground, but I’m not holding my breath that’ll happen.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2018, 02:21:48 pm »

I agree. My criticisms of Trump are that he came into office and immediately tried to play nice, accepting all sorts of establishment staffing advice in situ. He should have immediately purged United States Attorneys, Obama loyalists and cleared out as many bureaucrats as he could dislodge from the previous administration and replace with his own people. The current mess is what he gets for trying to appease the establishment. But, in his defense, as wide a social circle as citizen Trump had, he didn’t have enough human resources necessary to put together an effective administration from day one. He has been steadily trying to rectify this, with some significant firings still looming ahead.

Silver Pines

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2018, 02:55:43 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2018, 03:16:44 pm »

Thank God.    :0001:

We saw what 'they' did to Mitt Romney.  We saw what they did to their 'good friend' John McCain.

Let 'er rip, Mr. President!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Silver Pines

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2018, 03:35:46 pm »
Thank God.    :0001:

We saw what 'they' did to Mitt Romney.  We saw what they did to their 'good friend' John McCain.

Let 'er rip, Mr. President!

@DCPatriot

DC, it’s a joke.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2018, 03:39:07 pm »
@DCPatriot

DC, it’s a joke.

And a funny one, too!   ^-^

Offline skeeter

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2018, 03:44:31 pm »
No.  Wrong.

In a way I'm saying the same thing. Border security, abolishing the ACA, holding the previous administration officials accountable for their extraconstitutional and illegal activity; if they'd delivered on these issues they'd be a shoe in. Instead they sat back on their hands while the administration tried to deal with them alone.

All emotion aside, this is what happened.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 03:45:57 pm by skeeter »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2018, 04:10:06 pm »
Many, perhaps most, select their candidate based on whether they "like" him/her or not.  We see that here to some degree: the NTs dislike the man and he can do very little good; the ETs like the man and he can do no wrong. 

Trump knows this.  His book shows clearly that he understands the efficacy of manipulating peoples' emotions to get the result that he desires.  If he could/would make himself more likeable to independents, he could easily swing this election, and be able to continue his agenda. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:20:15 pm by Sanguine »

Silver Pines

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2018, 04:13:36 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2018, 04:21:10 pm »
So he should stop holding to rallies. Start "paying attention to his critics and try to convince them he's not the danger that Democrats say he is", stop tweeting. Stop defending himself, just allow the insane press coverage he's suffering go unanswered. Or worse, depend upon the GOP to defend him.

The actual results he's delivering don't matter.

What an effed up political environment we have today.

Word. The stained glass pearl clutchers have taken over.
The Republic is lost.