Author Topic: Classic car stolen from pastor's garage while he was at church  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/classic-car-stolen-from-pastor-s-garage-while-he-was-at-church

Clayton County Police are looking for two men in an SUV who stole a one-of-a-kind classic car from a local pastor. Donnie Skidmore restores classic cars when he's not ministering at his church, and he's been working on a 1968 Pontiac Firebird for a friend for the past several years.

"They call it a labor of love, and once you begin building that relationship and building that car, it becomes more than just a car," Skidmore said. "It becomes a family member, it becomes part of your life."

He had helped install tens of thousands of dollars in upgrades to the Firebird making it worth between fifty and sixty thousand dollars.

On Wednesday when Skidmore and his family were at church, two men broke into his garage and towed the car away. The car does not start or drive. Surveillance video shows the men attached it to a rope or chain, and dragged it away.

Skidmore said he is sick over the theft, and calling his friend to tell him that his car was gone was excruciating. "In the car world, your car becomes like a family member, so to have to call a friend and tell him one of his family members is gone and to have to bring that reality to him...it’s very difficult," Skidmore said.

Skidmore describes the two men responsible as white males between 5'8" and 5'10". One of them left a show in Skidmore's yard, and he says he hopes that helps police identify the men involved.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Classic car stolen from pastor's garage while he was at church
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:27:12 am »
He had helped install tens of thousands of dollars in upgrades to the Firebird making it worth between fifty and sixty thousand dollars.

Or at least that's what you are going to tell your insurance company, right Pastor? In the real world a non running roller '68 Firebird is worth about $10K. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 02:37:21 am »
I have never been to Clayton Count.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 02:48:03 am »
I have never been to Clayton Count.

Don't worry. I back up your alibi. You were with me the whole time ministering to wayward young girls.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 02:51:55 am »
Don't worry. I back up your alibi. You were with me the whole time ministering to wayward young girls.

Fine, I confess. It was me that took the lying pastor's car.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:58:34 am »
Fine, I confess. It was me that took the lying pastor's car.

Are you in on the insurance fraud? If he is cashing in on $60K you should be good for at least 10%.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 03:29:36 am »

Or at least that's what you are going to tell your insurance company, right Pastor? In the real world a non running roller '68 Firebird is worth about $10K.

Dang. I paid 1200 for mine and it ran just fine.

Wish I had kept it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:33:40 am »
Dang. I paid 1200 for mine and it ran just fine.

Wish I had kept it.

LOL. $1200? You buy that when Mork and Mindy was still popular?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 03:34:56 am »
LOL. $1200? You buy that when Mork and Mindy was still popular?

What's a Mork?

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 03:43:53 am »
Hagerty values a 1968 Pontiac Firebird, concours rated, at $38,800.  The good pastor better have been impeccable with his receipts and accounting.

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 03:59:49 am »
Hagerty values a 1968 Pontiac Firebird, concours rated, at $38,800.  The good pastor better have been impeccable with his receipts and accounting.

Are you calling into question the fine character of the good Pastor/Shade Tree Mechanic? Well I never.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 04:01:38 am »
Are you calling into question the fine character of the good Pastor/Shade Tree Mechanic? Well I never.

I might be.  I might also being saying that Hagerty is full of shit.  Which one do you think it is?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 04:12:06 am »
I might be.  I might also being saying that Hagerty is full of shit.  Which one do you think it is?

Since I was married using the Hagerty collector car value book at a bible, you tell me.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 04:15:16 am »
Since I was married using the Hagerty collector car value book at a bible, you tell me.

That's a bunch of bullshit.  There's no way you're married.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 04:28:21 am »
That's a bunch of bullshit.  There's no way you're married.

Of course I was.....the moment the gay marriage laws passed in my state. It was a very tasteful wedding held at a converted warehouse holding an ecstasy rave.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 04:32:17 am »
Of course I was.....the moment the gay marriage laws passed in my state. It was a very tasteful wedding held at a converted warehouse holding an ecstasy rave.

That sounds like fun.  Wish I was friends with your partner so I could have gotten an invite.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 04:35:01 am »
That sounds like fun.  Wish I was friends with your partner so I could have gotten an invite.

That wouldn't have done you any good. He already had a "Fag Hag" so you would have been out of luck.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 04:40:05 am »
That wouldn't have done you any good. He already had a "Fag Hag" so you would have been out of luck.

I wasn't sure what a "fag hag" was so I looked it up and found this:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 05:39:55 am »
Maybe it's God's way of telling him that maybe his priorities are messed up.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 01:53:40 pm »
Wow, aren't we judgmental today!

I've put a lot more money into the restoration of my 1922 Chevy than it's "worth" in the marketplace, because it's worth that much to me. Incidentally, the guy working on my car also is a pastor. When I bought insurance for it, I had to list a value that doesn't come close to what I've put into it, but that's okay.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »

@RoosGirl

What *I* think is that Hagerty was quoting a value for a 100 point restored show car. For all we know the car has a modern computer-controlled drive train,4 wheel indepedent suspension,etc,etc,etc. That might make it worth more to a horsepower freak.

Plus,I know a LOT of guys that own cars made from the 1920's through the early 1970's,and damn few of them don't have at least twice as much money sunk into their cars than they can sell them for. They can,and DO claim the value as a hell of a lot more than any sort of selling list prices,and pay hefty insurance rates to cover it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 02:45:53 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 04:33:28 pm »
@RoosGirl

What *I* think is that Hagerty was quoting a value for a 100 point restored show car. For all we know the car has a modern computer-controlled drive train,4 wheel indepedent suspension,etc,etc,etc. That might make it worth more to a horsepower freak.

Plus,I know a LOT of guys that own cars made from the 1920's through the early 1970's,and damn few of them don't have at least twice as much money sunk into their cars than they can sell them for. They can,and DO claim the value as a hell of a lot more than any sort of selling list prices,and pay hefty insurance rates to cover it.

A car that doesn't start or drive is worth $50k - $60k?  Hey, I've got a '99 Chevy Blazer that starts *and* drives.  I'll sell it to you for $20k.

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2018, 05:00:52 pm »
A car that doesn't start or drive is worth $50k - $60k?  Hey, I've got a '99 Chevy Blazer that starts *and* drives.  I'll sell it to you for $20k.

While the engine is being rebuilt....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer