Author Topic: The Trump Era and Dumb Conservatism: When “Owning the Libs” Is Your Only Goal  (Read 6250 times)

Online corbe

The Trump Era and Dumb Conservatism: When “Owning the Libs” Is Your Only Goal

Posted at 5:02 pm on July 22, 2018 by Kimberly Ross

It began with the election night victory of Donald Trump on November 8, 2016.

The Republicans had beaten the Democrats and won back the White House after eight years of opposition control. Congress was now in GOP hands, too. And so, it didn’t really matter how that had been accomplished so long as the deed was done.

In the lead-up to that win, many on the Right set aside long-held principles and beliefs to hold their nose and support the party candidate, a political newcomer with questionable (nonexistent?) morals and behavior who stirred up the base. He was energizing people, so what was the problem?

Since then, many who claim the GOP label have had only one goal: owning the liberals.

<..snip..>

https://www.redstate.com/kimberly_ross/2018/07/22/trump-era-dumb-conservatism-owning-the-libs-goal/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

She looks like a commie to me.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

I think it's a pretty worthy goal, myself.

Offline endicom

"Can't anybody here play this game?" - Casey Stengel

"Can't anybody here play this game?" - Me

Trump supporters are not about crunching lefties but about doing more than talking a good game.

Offline goodwithagun

She looks like a commie to me.

A lopsided commie.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"Can't anybody here play this game?" - Casey Stengel

"Can't anybody here play this game?" - Me

Trump supporters are not about crunching lefties but about doing more than talking a good game.

Amen.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
It would all be so amusing if it were not so utterly, grotesquely hypocritical. But by and large, that is what the Right[Trumplican Party] has become.

This attitude crops up at every turn and with every decision. Whether something is right or wrong isn’t the question. So long as we bring the Left some unbearable pain, it’s a good thing! How foolish of the side claiming to possess the only moral compass in the game. Again, I’m reminded why I am politically homeless and happily ex-GOP.

The only "morality" that now exists in the Trump GOP as well as the Left is to "win", no matter the cost - and no matter what means it takes to achieve it.  Punishment and pain is all either side has as a motivating factor; to inflict it upon the other, and then dance in their faces or over where they were defeated and declare everyone not with you an enemy to be destroyed.

Nothing good comes from this kind of atmosphere, but the reality is that the dividing factions in the country can no longer peaceably coexist with one another.  And separation or divorce is not an option when there is money and power at stake.  Hell, even the judges struck down the effort to divide California just last week, saying it is just too harmful to allow the people to leave totalitarianism and forge their safeguards.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

This is the babbling pablum of a moron. If she wants to go back to the heady days of the Bush admin when we were consistantly rolled by the Left and got less than nothing accomplished, she can feel free. I'll pass.

Offline dfwgator

This is the babbling pablum of a moron. If she wants to go back to the heady days of the Bush admin when we were consistantly rolled by the Left and got less than nothing accomplished, she can feel free. I'll pass.

I don't like the idea of always having a President, like Trump for many of the reasons that Never-Trumpers eagerly point out.

But at this particular moment in time, I think he's exactly what we need.   He is shaking things up, and I believe the end result of that will make us better down the road, when Trump leaves the stage.

Offline roamer_1

Great article... And

~absolutely correct~

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The only "morality" that now exists in the Trump GOP as well as the Left is to "win"

Welcome to the world of politics.  Your brand of conservatism seems to be the only folks who don't seem to get the importance of winning and why it's important.   

Whatever floats your boat.   :shrug:

Offline dfwgator

Yeah it's dumb.....Dumb as a Fox.

Offline roamer_1

Welcome to the world of politics.  Your brand of conservatism seems to be the only folks who don't seem to get the importance of winning and why it's important.   

Mk 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (KJV)

That is what has happened to you, mere Republicans...

Offline dfwgator

Mk 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (KJV)

Do you really believe that dribble?  Do you really believe all that ridiculous media spin the MSM puts out there about Trump?

Online corbe

Sure in the old days Conservatives didn't win much but in the end when we were declared the Loser, we smelt good having not got down into the mud with those liberal pigs like Trump enjoys doing.  The means does not always justify the same end result @Right_in_Virginia

Offline dfwgator

Sure in the old days Conservatives didn't win much but in the end when we were declared the Loser, we smelt good having not got down into the mud with those liberal pigs like Trump enjoys doing.  The means does not always justify the same end result @Right_in_Virginia

If you were in Germany in 1933, I think you'd agree that you would have supported ANYONE who would have taken down Hitler, no matter how unsavory you may have thought they were, right?

You may not think the stakes are that high, but I do.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sure in the old days Conservatives didn't win much but in the end when we were declared the Loser, we smelt good having not got down into the mud

If smelling good rather than accomplishing your agenda is paramount then you have earned the right to feel very proud. 

Kudos!  888high58888

Offline roamer_1

Do you really believe that dribble?  Do you really believe all that ridiculous media spin the MSM puts out there about Trump?

I don't believe the MSM at all... The difference is, I don't believe Tump Media either.
When you sacrifice the very principles you are supposed to be standing upon, that ain't winning, no matter what anyone tells you.

Offline dfwgator

I don't believe the MSM at all... The difference is, I don't believe Tump Media either.
When you sacrifice the very principles you are supposed to be standing upon, that ain't winning, no matter what anyone tells you.

What good are principles if you aren't in power?

Offline roamer_1

What is power without principles? Think on that, because that's where you're (all y'all) going...

Online corbe

Good Question @dfwgator but way to deep for me to intelligently respond so I'll just do one of these and call it a night.

:facepalm2:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I hear this son in my head, by Carly Simon

"Pontification"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Do you really believe that dribble?

That book is like thousands of years old.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

Do you really believe that dribble?

That book is like thousands of years old.

Why yes, I do - It is the foundation that Western Civilization rests upon.
And even if you don't believe the Book, The quote is true.

Offline dfwgator

What is power without principles? Think on that, because that's where you're (all y'all) going...

Do you really think Trump is an evil man?  Do you think he's doing it for personal gain.  I keep asking myself,  why would a guy give up the perfect life,  to do arguably the most thankless job in the world?    Is it ego?  Is it a true sense that he sees where this country is headed?

At first, I did believe it was the former,  but as time passes, more and more I believe it is the latter.