Author Topic: This conservative would take Obama back in a nanosecond  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

This conservative would take Obama back in a nanosecond
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:15:21 pm »
This conservative would take Obama back in a nanosecond
Washington Post, Jul 20, 2018, Max Boot

How I miss Barack Obama.

And I say that as someone who worked to defeat him: I was a foreign policy adviser to John McCain in 2008 and to Mitt Romney in 2012. I criticized Obama’s “lead from behind” foreign policy that resulted in a premature pullout from Iraq and a failure to stop the slaughter in Syria. I thought he was too weak on Iran and too tough on Israel. I feared that Obamacare would be too costly. I fumed that he was too professorial and too indecisive. I was left cold by his arrogance and his cult of personality.

Now I would take Obama back in a nanosecond. His presidency appears to be a lost golden age when reason and morality reigned. All of his faults, real as they were, fade into insignificance compared with the crippling defects of his successor. And his strengths — seriousness, dignity, intellect, probity, dedication to ideals larger than self — shine all the more clearly in retrospect.

Those thoughts are prompted by watching Obama’s speech in South Africa on the 100th anniversary of Nelson Mandela’s birth. I was moved nearly to tears by his eloquent defense of a liberal world order that President Trump appears bent on destroying.

The first thing that struck me was what was missing: There was no self-praise and no name-calling. Obama has a far better claim than Trump to being a “very stable genius,” but he didn’t call himself one. The sentences were complete and sonorous — and probably written by the speaker himself. (Imagine Trump writing anything longer than a tweet — and even those are full of mistakes.) The tone was sober and high-minded, even if listeners could read between the lines a withering critique of Trump’s policies.

More:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2018/07/20/how-i-miss-obama/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4c5a6e2de131

Re: This conservative would take Obama back in a nanosecond
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:17:36 pm »
Conservatives, you have a problem.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WaPo Conservative: I Miss Obama And Would Take Him Back In A Nanosecond
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:18:43 pm »
WaPo Conservative: I Miss Obama And Would Take Him Back In A Nanosecond
Matt Vespa

@mvespa1
|
Posted: Jul 21, 2018 9:15 PM

Well, this is some Grade-A crap. Apparently, there are some so-called conservatives that miss Barack Obama and would take him “back in a nanosecond.” It’s not because they support his policies. It’s because Donald Trump is president, and that is a sour grapes reason. Max Boot made this point in his op-ed this week:

How I miss Barack Obama.

And I say that as someone who worked to defeat him: I was a foreign policy adviser to John McCain in 2008 and to Mitt Romney in 2012. I criticized Obama’s “lead from behind” foreign policy that resulted in a premature pullout from Iraq and a failure to stop the slaughter in Syria. I thought he was too weak on Iran and too tough on Israel. I feared that Obamacare would be too costly. I fumed that he was too professorial and too indecisive. I was left cold by his arrogance and his cult of personality.

Now I would take Obama back in a nanosecond. His presidency appears to be a lost golden age when reason and morality reigned. All of his faults, real as they were, fade into insignificance compared with the crippling defects of his successor. And his strengths — seriousness, dignity, intellect, probity, dedication to ideals larger than self — shine all the more clearly in retrospect.

more
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2018/07/21/wapo-conservative-i-miss-obama-and-would-takehim-back-in-a-nanosecond-n2502324
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline dfwgator

Of course you would.

And another mask comes off.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 06:21:27 pm »
The "Scoop Jackson Democrats" are flocking back to their natural home.

Online mountaineer

No conservative wants Obama back. Some conservatives may wish the current president was someone else, but no conservative wants the Kenyan back.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 06:48:35 pm »
I was a foreign policy adviser to John McCain in 2008 and to Mitt Romney in 2012

Says everything you need to know about the fact that this moron was never a "Conservative".

He is just your run-of-the-mill GOP Big Government Statist Party Hack.

All of them loved Obama.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 06:58:40 pm »
I liked Garry Kasparov, former chess champion and reading his twitter until I saw it was bent towards "conservatives" like Max Boot who were being quoted. I've become disillusioned with Garry's political views.

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Boot

Boot born in Moscow, the problem with some of these folks is it seems they expect us to fight their wars, that's a bridge too far. Maybe we could do more but it is a tentative situation.

Lindsay Graham and John McCain may please these people, I think in fact, if one searches it out, Garry is a fan of McCain, maybe some photo taken with him.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:07:07 pm by TomSea »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 08:17:09 pm »
How much selective amnesia does a guy have to have to call themselves a conservative and call for the guy who has done more to suppress and discredit conservatism than any politician in recent memory? This is the guy who used the IRS to target those opposed to him!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 08:47:22 pm »
Not much of an Trump fan, but Obama can rot as far as I am concerned. That said, nobody can deny that the MEGA crap got old fast, along with the rotating members of Trump's cabinet to tweets that verged on imbecilic. Yes, Obama "acted" more presidential in public, he was pure commie in his policies though (and no amount of acting surpasses actual political acts). One look at the list Sessions made of behind the scenes immigration changes Obama made shows Obama was full blown commie bent on destroying America.

Vote for Obama, Never ever ever ever, says this NeverTrumper.

Article was written by Max Boot.... Education: University of California at Berkeley
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:50:12 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 09:10:52 pm »
So what more evidence do people need to understand that the Republican party has been infiltrated by and taken over by liberal Democrats, who in comparison to their Marxist/Commmunist counterparts having taken over the Democrat party, appear 'conservative'?

BOTH national parties are Leftist and have been for awhile.

Both of them are now transitioning further Left - simply calling themselves and their policies different nomenclatures so as to continue to deceive as they yank this former Republic off the cliff into economic and cultural oblivion.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

No conservative wants Obama back. Some conservatives may wish the current president was someone else, but no conservative wants the Kenyan back.

But this guy's got a microphone, a pen and audience.  He says he's conservative --- so he is the one defining what that means, not you.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:16:25 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline dfwgator

But this guy's got a microphone, a pen and audience.  And he says he's conservative and he is redefining what that means.

He's "Severely" Conservative.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exactly. No Conservative wants the Kenyan back, except to stand charges.

Since when do Conservatives write for WaPo anyway?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline the_doc

He's "Severely" Conservative.

Jennifer Rubin and David Brooks have also called themselves conservatives.  The term means nothing much when they can use it. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

People who have to lecture us about why they are "conservative" (and we are not) do.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:34:00 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
But this guy's got a microphone, a pen and audience.  He says he's conservative --- so he is the one defining what that means, not you.

Only if he succeeds, and that's a stretch.  WTF cares what Max Boot says?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Yup.

Lots of that going around.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »
It would be somewhat intriguing to know whether the Barack Obama who spoke in Johannesburg should be confronted by His Excellency Al-Hashish Field Marshmallow Dr. Barack Obama Dada, COD, RIP, LSMFT, Would-Have-Been Life President of the Republic Formerly Known as the United States and asked, Have you lost your marble? Singular?

Because the Obama who spoke in Johannesburg took positions His Excellency Obama would have denounced without having to be prodded as fanatical right wing claptrap.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Only if he succeeds, and that's a stretch.  WTF cares what Max Boot says?

He should be given das boot...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »
Who in his right mind makes the leap that Boot makes from one party to another with diametrically opposed principles? If you don't like the coach of your favorite team you've been a diehard fan of for decades because he keeps screwing up making what you think are horrible decisions, you don't switch teams.  No diehard Packers fan is going to start rooting for the Bears because the Packers coach or management mess up.
Boot's decision makes no sense. There are quite a few NeverTrumpers who dislike Trump intensely and wish he'd resign. But they aren't giving up their conservative principles and going over to the Dems because of their Trump hate.
From now on, Boot can't be taken seriously about anything.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 06:08:07 pm »
I have noticed that the only "conservatives" hired by the MSM are anti-Trump.

I think what @goatprairie says is good analogy.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

This.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 06:28:16 pm »
Conservatives, you have a problem.

@Right_in_Virginia

No,REPUBLICANS have a problem,and problems like this are why I no longer call myself a Republican.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!